shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m a doctor - Not a gemologist! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mybabylovesjazz

Rough_Rock
I''ve got to get an engagement ring pronto! Can anyone help me find a stone? I have one possibility with the following stats from James Allen for $10,100:

Item Number: 9861768
Shape: Round
Carat weight: 1.31
Cut: Ideal
Color: F
Clarity: VS2
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 61.8%
Table: 56%
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Excellent - Ideal
Girdle: Thin to medium, faceted
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.98*7.03*4.33

crown angle 34.5
pavillon angle 40.8

HCA 1.3

What do you guys think? The stats seem pretty good to me, but I was hoping to get a slightly larger stone (just under 1.5 ct) for about the same price. Is that possible? Would the slight difference in size matter?

thanks!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/10/2006 2:12:42 PM
Author:mybabylovesjazz

I was hoping to get a slightly larger stone (just under 1.5 ct) for about the same price. Is that possible?

Well... this doesn't sound half bad. The slight (?)
31.gif
difference of size may be noticeable, the difference of grade not.
28.gif

mybabylovesjazz

Rough_Rock
yeah, that looks pretty good, but I want a diamond that is absolutely eye clean, even with CLOSE inspection and also as white as can be. Once it is set and on a finger, can a person tell the difference between G and D?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2006 2:18:57 PM
Author: valeria101

Date: 4/10/2006 2:12:42 PM
Author:mybabylovesjazz

I was hoping to get a slightly larger stone (just under 1.5 ct) for about the same price. Is that possible?

Well... this doesn''t sound half bad. The slight (?)
31.gif
difference of size may be noticeable, the difference of grade not.
28.gif
nice find ana. that looks like it fits the bill!
2.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2006 2:25:25 PM
Author: mybabylovesjazz
yeah, that looks pretty good, but I want a diamond that is absolutely eye clean, even with CLOSE inspection and also as white as can be. Once it is set and on a finger, can a person tell the difference between G and D?
there are eyeclean (even if you have eagle eyes!) si stones. as far as being able to tell the difference between a well cut ''d'' and a ''g'' once set, for the most part, absolutely not. of course much depends on who graded the stone and how the stone is set, but for the most part, they are indistinguishable.

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
With your budget - to reach the 1.5 c mark you''re going to have to sacrifice something, clarity or color. (never cut.)

That G-SI looked nice to me. Keep in mind that the image you are looking at is greatly magnified, and the inclusion is small and most likely not visible with the naked eye. (See definition of eye clean in FAQ) I''d call James Allen and ask if this stone is eye clean - if you are set on a 1.5c stone.

I think the stone you''ve picked out is very nice, nice crown pavil combo.
It''s a little deep though you''re losing a little spread - 1.30 should be 7.10mm or so, I''m not sure if that''s visually noticeable or not. I prefer a depth of 60.8 or so.
Perhaps the depth is the reason the price is so good, that and the very good polish - Neither one would really deter me from a stone and a price I liked.

Scintillating...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/10/2006 2:25:25 PM

Once it is set and on a finger, can a person tell the difference between G and D?
I would expect an fairly awkward situation if anyone asked me to guess! That''s why I went so fast down the color scale one step.

At the very least, I''d give that one a try. And by all mean, even if D-F is a must for whatever reason... SI1 still sounds like a great idea. IMO, at least.

... which brings in another fellow (1.5 cts E/SI1). There is no info about this diamond. It would take a bit (a day or two) to obtain a copy of the lab report and more to call it in for evaluation.
38.gif
If it isn''t much hassle, I''d give it a try.

mybabylovesjazz

Rough_Rock
I will sacrifice NOTHING! Just kidding. Ok, so it seems everyone is recommending the bigger stone for $1600 more or so. Is that big stone a good price? Do I get a discount for being from pricescope? If they say it is eyeclean can I trust them?

You guys have been a big help!

thanks again

mybabylovesjazz

Rough_Rock
thanks for the help Ana, I will call them and get the specs on that second stone. Should I be concerned with "premium" versus "signature" cut, as people say not to sacrifice on the cut?

thanks

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/10/2006 2:47:12 PM
I will sacrifice NOTHING! Just kidding. Ok, so it seems everyone is recommending the bigger stone for $1600 more or so. Is that big stone a good price? Do I get a discount for being from pricescope? If they say it is eyeclean can I trust them?

You guys have been a big help!

thanks again
You can trust Belle and Ana.......They offer tremendous help and knowledge.

And yes, as long as you are dealing with a PS vendor, all you have to do is mention PriceScope and you'll get the PS discount.

Best wishes.........

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
They will tell you if it''s eye clean or not. You can trust their word. Really!!!

mybabylovesjazz

Rough_Rock
dang! I just talked to Jennifer at James Allen and that first stone has just been sold. She is pulling the other stone for me.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/10/2006 2:52:49 PM

thanks for the help Ana, I will call them and get the specs on that second stone. Should I be concerned with ''premium'' versus ''signature'' cut,

At this point, I doubt anyone at James Allen knows more about this stone than we do (unless they already have the lab report, or know a thing or two about the supplier
38.gif
) - it is just a virtual listing on a supplier database. Who knows... it may turn every bit as nice as the other options that did have full info (angles, Ideal Scope etc.) or not.

I hope this one turns out OK - got a soft spot for E-F/SI1
5.gif

My 2c

Small

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted to chime in quickly about the D/G color comment. I have both...a G ideal cut RB and a D marquise cut. When put together I can see ''a bit'' of a difference...very slight. My ''G'' is very white..faces up very nicely and has alot of sparkle. Marquise cuts are not very brilliant and my D is extremely white. Honestly, you aren''t going to be able to tell a difference unless someone with a D walks up and wants to compare and even then it''ll be such a slight difference that it probably wouldn''t bother anyone (it doesn''t bother me in the least when I wear one or the other). Just my 2c. I know there is a thread around here talking about owners of D and would they trade...most way no because they love the white D look and are color sensitive in the first place but for me...if I had picked the G first I wouldn''t have known any difference and wouldn''t be missing anything.
My vote...go with an eye clean SI(I own 2 SI stones) and G-H color...on an ideal cut you won''t be sorry. Good luck with your search. Looks like you''ve gotten some great help from Belle and Ana...they have alot of knowledge and are very helpful around PS...you are in great hands
36.gif

mybabylovesjazz

Rough_Rock
thanks Kevin. Is the hearts and arrows thing more personal taste, or is it something that most people agree is better (i understand it is a measure of excellent symmetry)?

also, which do you all recommend, Kevin''s stone or the other 1.53 ct recommended:

GIA:
1.53 ct
depth 60.9%
table 58%
girdle thin to med, faceted
poish very goog
symmetry excellent
color E
clarity SI1
fluor: med blue

this stone is eye clean according to Jennifer at James Allen, the price is 10,982 with the pricescope discount. I have requested the crown and pavillion angles.

thanks!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Aww, you come across as such a funny person. Okay what about this 1.56 E SI2 for 10,530$ it looks like it could be eyeclean from the 40x and the face up, 7.46-7.51X4.60, is nice.
/images/site/d_lostF.jpg

mybabylovesjazz

Rough_Rock
Matatora,

the HCA gave it only "very good" for fire and scintillation, and a 1.9 overall - any concerns there? I''m gonna call whiteflash and see if it is eyeclean.

thanks!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
COLOR-

typically a well-cut stone will face-up pretty white, even an I or a J.

When you really see the color is when you look at the stone upside down on a piece of white paper.

So, if you are going with something like a halo or a bezel setting, you''ll never see the stone from anywhere but face-up and it''s gonna be gorgeous.
The I''s and J''s can sometimes seem warm, making them even more romantic and colorful than an icy white stone.

But if you are going to set the stone in something where she''ll see it from the side easily, it''s possible to see the color in a J.
For some people.
Some people are more sensitive to color than others.
And some sensitive people LIKE the warmth they see.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Anything between 0-2 is considered excellent. When you talk to the people at WF ask them what they think of the stone, but it looks yummy to me!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I ran it using the % and got a 1.6... I think it is worth taking a look at.

HCA results for 1.56 E SI2.JPG

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Doc........the stone Matadora found for you should be absolutely stunning! And, my money's on Whiteflash to offer expert advice.

Good luck with this stone!

mybabylovesjazz

Rough_Rock
ok, I called whiteflash about this stone. They say it is definitely eye clean. But I asked them is one knows where the inclusions are and then looks up extremely closely would they be able to see it? And they said yes, if you were near-sighted! Anyway, the inclusions are not black or nasty so, that seems like it would be ok. But what about this stone compared to the James Allen, 1.53 ct E, SI1 for 10,982 (specs above)? Also any suggestions on a setting. I like simple.

thanks!

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
Hi ... and welcome to PriceScope!

You''re in good hands with Matatora and others who posted above, but have you seen these 3 1.5+ ct. ACA stones from WhiteFlash:

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Compare_Diamonds.aspx?idnos=2361960,2323744,2362052

Check-out the IS images on each one - - I don''t think you can go wrong with any of them!

As for settings ... WF''s Tiffany-style solitaire with side-stones (baguettes) for $1,685 will really make that center stone POP -- it''s traditional simple, and elegant - - just perfect for a doctor''s wife.
4.gif

WF has a very quick turn-around, and you''ll be more than satisfied with them!

Have fun choosing and of course, let us know what you decide!

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Don't forget to consider WF's U-prong setting. That's definitely my favorite of WF's settings. I think it would look fantastic with a diamond that size. Sturdy but very graceful, with surprise diamonds!
5.gif

Perhaps you can snoop out her tastes in ring styles, or ask a family member? A lot of women are very particular about some aspects of their ring style. For instance, some women really want something low set and some want high set. If I had to say, the "tiffany" knife edge is probably the safest bet as it's very close to the actual Tiffany's solitaire.

ETA: btw, is your thread title purposefully or accidentally a Star Trek joke?
-Live Long and Prosper
2.gif

mybabylovesjazz

Rough_Rock
thanks for all the help on the ring selection! those Tiffany type settings are nice. I questioned my girlfriend and was getting the feeling that she doesn''t want a super flash big rock, so I''m thinking of going with the 1.3 ct that Kevin suggested, hearts and arrows type from goodoldgold. Everyone agree that is a nice stone?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
check out www.mwmjewelry.com for his version of the six prong...it''s to die for. after spending that much on a nice stone, it should have a worthy setting. he is backed up, though (worth the wait, IMO!) so maybe you can put it in a basic six prong for now and send it to MM when he''s ready?

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2006 5:30:54 PM
Author: JulieN
check out www.mwmjewelry.com for his version of the six prong...it''s to die for. after spending that much on a nice stone, it should have a worthy setting. he is backed up, though (worth the wait, IMO!) so maybe you can put it in a basic six prong for now and send it to MM when he''s ready?

30.gif
It is to die for!!
30.gif
It''s the most perfect, romantic tiffany style setting ever!
30.gif
And while he is backed up for custom work, his site says that he''s still accepting orders for the sunburst solitare. If only he made the ring for .5 carat stones.
8.gif
(I told my bf that I didn''t think the ring suited my lifestyle, which is a rather large white lie.
2.gif
) So I''d almost forgotten about that one! Excellent suggestion JulieN!

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
Doc:

You can''t go wrong with GOG! We bought our diamond from them - - Jonathan and his staff are extremely HONEST and trustworthy. The 1.30 Kevin suggested above looks like a beauty!

If your GF doesn''t want the biggest diamond out there, and if you are truly seeking ''perfection'' (which it seems you are since you''re leaning toward the D-F/VVS-VS stones), you may want to check-out GOG''s selection of Solasfera diamonds - - my diamond is a Solafera because I didn''t want the biggest stone our budget would allow, and my DH wanted me to have something that was rare and close to perfect.

Here''s the GOG tutorial on the Solasfera cut diamond:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/Solasfera/

And here are links to a few you might want to consider:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/1858/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/1851/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/1853/

There''s definitely a slight premium for the Solafsera, but they offer amazing sparkle and brilliance (no light leakage - just check-out the IdealScope images).

Hope you find all of this information to be helpful rather than overwhelming ... remember to let us know what you decide! Whatever it is, it''s going to be BEAUTIFUL!

4.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results