shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m 24 and I like YG?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ang3199

Brilliant_Rock
I have read on here that many many *younger* women are going for the white metal look in engagement rings. When my FI and I got engaged (I was 18, a youngun!) I didn''t even think about white metal b.c YG looks good with my olive skin. Recently we upgraded the diamond and I discovered PS. Now I''m having second doubts about my YG because everyone has WG. Don''t get me wrong, I love my YG ring, but have read on here that some people think YG to be ''tacky''. I think my ring is beautiful but don''t want others to think it''s tacky.

Now, I''m having doubts about having YG while all the *younger* crowd has WG or Plat. To have it re-set or to not have it re-set?!!??!

Is it strange that I''m 24 and have a YG ring?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/24/2007 9:12:21 AM
Author:ang3199
I have read on here that many many *younger* women are going for the white metal look in engagement rings. When my FI and I got engaged (I was 18, a youngun!) I didn''t even think about white metal b.c YG looks good with my olive skin. Recently we upgraded the diamond and I discovered PS. Now I''m having second doubts about my YG because everyone has WG. Don''t get me wrong, I love my YG ring, but have read on here that some people think YG to be ''tacky''. I think my ring is beautiful but don''t want others to think it''s tacky.

Now, I''m having doubts about having YG while all the *younger* crowd has WG or Plat. To have it re-set or to not have it re-set?!!??!

I say no worries, I am a YG lover and wearer - granted where I am from it is the norm, but there are other YG lovers here so you do have company! I say if you love YG, wear it proudly and don''t worry about what others think!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I like both :) of my friends that have recently gotten engaged (one is 24 one is 19 and two are 25) all have yellow gold :) and as far as I know none of them like Plat or WG and their rings are all beautiful and not tacky in the slightest :)

I think it is personal preference (for me I prefer Platnium only because I have pale skin with pink undertones and it contrasts my colour tones perfectly saying that I do wear gold as well) IMO it does not look tacky, and if you have olive skin the yellow gold will complement the richness of your skin beautifully :).

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
YG tacky? No way. Not to everyone''s taste, maybe, but not tacky... I''m 22 and I love yellow gold, it just looks really bad against my skin. If you love YG and can wear it, then wear YG!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Personal preference is what matters, not what is popular.

And if you want to see a yummy yg ring on a youngun, look up Blenheim''s ring. It''s fantabulous! Enjoy your YG! Don''t worry about trends!

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
i''m 27 and have a white gold set, but i also have a plain yellow gold and rose gold band that i usually wear stacked on my ring finger. we went with WG because i like the streamlined modern aesthetic of highly-polished white metal. but the more i looked at jewelry, the more i realized that RG looks better on me. recently my ring size went up inexplicably from a 5.5 to 6, so i''ve been wearing them every day.
i LOVE how they look against my skin (also olive-complexioned). now i''m seriously considering changing my set to RG. maybe people think YG is tacky because they''re associating it with some really ugly designs from the 70s and 80s? personally, i love the warmth and organic look of yellow and rose gold.
if you love your ring, you shouldn''t worry if other people think it is tacky.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear YG is making a big comeback (again) anyway.
31.gif
I honestly think you should wear what you like, AND mix metals if you want. It''s all about choices. I have that pink undertone skin and WG looks better, but I don''t care, I still wear both. I chose WG for my current temporary set to see how I liked it. It''s okay, but I don''t prefer it to YG, it''s just a different look. I can''t say I have a preference for either, I like them equally. Nothing wrong with that either. You could always have your current set rhodium plated to see if you like the look.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Rest assured that in the antique market, yellow gold is quite common, and as a matter of fact, some of the best pieces will include yellow gold, if not Platinum. White gold being so donimant may be a bit of a fad. Yellow godl was the stardard for so long, that white gold is enjoying it''s newness and popularity. But, personally I am a rose gold kind of girl. Nothing sweeter than a rose gold and pave piece...
30.gif

Also consider that yellow gold is a richer color, and can often be the star of the show, even if there are no diamonds. To me, I have many yellow gold only pieces, and often when wearing white gold with no diamonds, it can be confused for cheaper silver.

Yellow gold is the best way to set off gemstones like sapphire, rubies and emeralds. It is so rich and elegant, that to me, to call yellow gold tacky, is likely because you are looking at cheap yellow gold. No different than cheap white gold. Walk into a Tiffany & Cartier and you''ll see yellow gold that certainly is NOT tacky. But in my opinion, people will choose the metals that best represent them. Gold in it''s yellow form is the most natural and intrinsic of the looks, so I don''t see it losing ground.

Even as new fads come and go. History supports that yellow gold is a classic...

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I''m 30 and wear both WG and YG. My right hand ring is an antique made of YG and siliver, it''s beautiful. No worries about being "tacky" it''s all about personal preference.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think its tacky at all! For me, I prefer white metals because my skin tone is very pale, almost pink I''m so pale. But if I had olive skin or darker I would prefer yellow. No question

A neighbor friend of mine is from India and she has dark skin and some beautiful 22 ct pieces of jewelery she wears. She has a necklace that she wears all the time that I love and rotates several pairs of yellow gold earrings. It looks striking against her skin tone. On me, it would look terrible. And I think if she wore my platinum jewlery it would not flatter her skin as much as her yellow gold.

It will definately make a big comeback. Everything in fashion cycles.

Go with what you like and flatters you!

ang3199

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, thank you for all the responses. Here is a pic of my baby just for good measure b.c i love showing it off. It''s not huge like most on here, but it makes my heart pitter patter!

angsprettybabyhand.JPG

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacky, schmacky! Wear what YOU like, and what YOU think looks good! I have platinum because white metals look best on my skin, and for no other reason.

White metals are in fashion now, but it''s only a matter of time before yellow gold is "it". And then your kids or younger friends will think of YOU has the hip lady with yellow gold, instead of "tacky" white metal
3.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it is tacky to judge people by their color preference of gold
2.gif
I remember talking to a wife of one of DH''s friend who has a YG set. It was right after I got engaged with a PLT ring. Granted she is slightly older than you but I was SHOCKED when she told me how people would ask why he got yellow and snub her ring. Just b/c it is YG doesn''t mean it looks dated (to me). She said she hates the way WG looks with her skin tone. Everything she has is YG. You should be proud and enjoy it. No need to make excuses...not here anyways! Besides it will become popular again. Everything is a cycle.

togal

Shiny_Rock
I have read on here that many many *younger* women are going for the white metal look in engagement rings. When my FI and I got engaged (I was 18, a youngun!) I didn't even think about white metal b.c YG looks good with my olive skin. Recently we upgraded the diamond and I discovered PS. Now I'm having second doubts about my YG because everyone has WG. Don't get me wrong, I love my YG ring, but have read on here that some people think YG to be 'tacky'. I think my ring is beautiful but don't want others to think it's tacky.

Now, I'm having doubts about having YG while all the *younger* crowd has WG or Plat. To have it re-set or to not have it re-set?!!??!

Is it strange that I'm 24 and have a YG ring?
Yellow gold is far from tacky. Go take a look at the websites of all of the top jewellery designers. For instance the front page of the David Yurman website: David Yurman. It's all yellow gold. I think the reason why some may think YG is tacky is because many people who acquired their wedding sets in the 80's have very dated designs. If you go with a classic setting, it will never look tacky, regardless if it's platinum, WG, or YG. I think YG makes the diamond really pop. I love yellow gold. It's suits my skin tone too. Get what you love and don't worry about what the majority of the people on this website have. At the end of the day, it's you that's looking at it.

ETA: I just saw the pic of your ring, and it's beautiful! Don't change a thing!

ang3199

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/24/2007 12:49:02 PM
Author: togal

Yellow gold is far from tacky. Go take a look at the websites of all of the top jewellery designers. For instance the front page of the David Yurman website: David Yurman. It''s all yellow gold. I think the reason why some may think YG is tacky is because many people who acquired their wedding sets in the 80''s have very dated designs. If you go with a classic setting, it will never look tacky, regardless if it''s platinum, WG, or YG. I think YG makes the diamond really pop. I love yellow gold. It''s suits my skin tone too. Get what you love and don''t worry about what the majority of the people on this website have. At the end of the day, it''s you that''s looking at it.

ETA: I just saw the pic of your ring, and it''s beautiful! Don''t change a thing!

Thank you so much! I do love it!

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve always loved yellow gold. I personally like it better than the white metals. With most people seeming to want white metals now days, your yellow gold is unique.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Real gold is yellow. Very yellow. Look at the World Gold Council Website. Take a look at designs by Gurhan and Yossi Harari. Go into a jewelry store in Italy. Yellow gold will never go out of style with the international set.

Are you familiar with this thread?

Deborah
34.gif

togal

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/24/2007 3:24:26 PM
Author: AGBF

Real gold is yellow. Very yellow. Look at the World Gold Council Website. Take a look at designs by Gurhan and Yossi Harari. Go into a jewelry store in Italy. Yellow gold will never go out of style with the international set.

Are you familiar with this thread?

Deborah
34.gif
Deborah,

I notice from your link that you like Ippolita designs. I just purchased this Ippolita ring,
which I just love. Her designs are so unique, although a bit on the pricey side.

my oppolita ring.jpg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I wear both too! well, actually all three I guess (plat, wg, yg). I think the look of rich creamy yellow gold in 18K, 22K, or especially 24K is stunning.

Wear what looks good on your skin and wear what you love! How could something like GOLD go out of fashion, know what I mean?

Your set is lovely. Wear them in good health and enjoy them.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I wear both too! I struggled when deciding what I wanted for my e-ring since I usually mix yg and wg (in my watch, earrings, etc). Eventually I asked FI what kind of ring he wanted, and he wanted a very traditional simple yg band, so I decided to get yg so ours would match. Some days I still wonder if I should have gone with wg or plat., but I do love the way my yg ring looks on my 25 year old hand!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've been liking YG more and more. Blenheim's set here on PS is one of my yellow gold faves. It's so rich, warm and yummy!

ETA, here is her set from her avatar...

Bandandering.JPG

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
togal, I absolutely love that ring and I actually do not like all ippolita designs!

Deborah
34.gif

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
I was going to say that I''m 23 and that most of my jewelry is yellow gold, but it looks like Sumbride and TG beat me to it.
9.gif
Thank you so much for the compliments.

Ang3199, your ring is lovely. What really matters is how much you like it, not what''s the most in fashion right now. Anyway, I think that yellow gold is classic and looks great with certain skin tones (like mine and, from what you''re saying, yours).

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
A number of us on PS wear Trinity rings--and only one of those bands is wg
9.gif

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/24/2007 10:49:24 AM
Author: KimberlyH
I''m 30 and wear both WG and YG. My right hand ring is an antique made of YG and siliver, it''s beautiful. No worries about being ''tacky'' it''s all about personal preference.
Kimberly, I''d love to see a pic of that ring!

ang, your ring is beautiful. Don''t change a thing. Yellow gold is very flattering on many skin tones. I actually prefer it to white gold because of my oliveish skin tone, although lately I''ve been experimenting with a little silver. My engagement ring and wedding band are yellow gold.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Not tacky at all! It''s been out of favor for quite a few years, but these things go in cycles and honestly I think it''s on its way back in. When I got engaged way back in the day *no one* had WG except the old ladies.
9.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m 30 but still love YG! I think YG itself will never go "out of style," but the STYLES of YG that were popular for a long time have. However, a simple setting done in YG for an e-ring and wedding band will always be classic.

When I was 24 (6 years ago), the thought of an e-ring done in a white metal really never crossed my mind until I''d been dating my now husband for 2 months and he mentioned his idea of the perfect e-ring, which was, and I quote "a couple of carats set in platinum."
23.gif
The only women I''d known with plat. wedding sets were engaged in the 1920''s at that point, and I did love their antique looking rings, but I never thought I''d choose platinum over YG for an e-ring setting. Then again, I wasn''t a girl who had really given a lot of thought to engagement rings, period!
9.gif

My skin tone and coloring are ok with either Yg or white metals...I''m a (most of the time) brunette with almost black eyes, and I have medium skin with yellow undertones, so YG complements my coloring and white metals sort of "pop" on me, especially when I have a tan so i guess I''m fortunate in that regard. I would wear my YG pieces today, but the styles of my pieces are outdated and probably need to be remade into more contemporary pieces if I were to wear them again. I.e., I have a few gold chains, the most notable of which is a solid, very thick herringbone chain my dad gave me from his midlife crisis days, a few sturdy box chains (which are probably fine to wear now), diamond heart pendant set in YG, various bracelets--one of which is a sun, moon, stars style, obviously not really en vogue nowadays--birthstone rings, you get the picture.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m wasn''t a fan of YG until recently. I wore YG in the 80''s, but once the 90''s hit, I was all about WG and platinum. Now am striving to add updated YG pieces to my collection. YG is the European standard, very classic and elegant if you ask me. Wear what YOU like, and what looks good on you!!

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
A good friend of mine is 24 as well and I helped her DF pick out this YG ring. She wouldn''t have it any other way as she loves YG and how it looks on her!
I say have what makes you happy. Don''t worry about whats "in", as it seems that will always change.

michygring.jpg

ang3199

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you to everyone for the kind words.

Togal, Independent Gal, Blenheim, diamondsrock: Thank you so much for the comments about my ring! I often catch my FI staring at it as much as I do. I think he''s proud of it
41.gif

While we are on the topic of YG, what do you all think of this look for my wedding bands. We haven''t purchased them yet b.c we were not sure if they were "too much" or I should go with something plainer. Comments (good and bad) will be appreciated
28.gif

angeringwedbandYG.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results