Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some twitters

https://twitter.com/EntergyLA - Entergy Electric Company

https://twitter.com/FEMARegion6 - FEMA for Region 6

https://twitter.com/NOLA_Traffic - New Orleans Traffic

https://twitter.com/LAStatePolice - Louisiana state police

https://twitter.com/La_DOTD - The official account of the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development.

https://twitter.com/WWLTV - Breaking Stories and information from WWL-TV Channel 4, Eyewitness News, CBS affiliate in New Orleans

https://twitter.com/nolaready - NOLA Ready is the City of New Orleans emergency preparedness campaign, managed by the Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Preparedness.

https://twitter.com/NWSNewOrleans - Official Twitter account for the National Weather Service New Orleans.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw some twitters from MS that they will feel more effects in the next 1-3 hours.
they are getting 40MPH winds according to news station in Jackson

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As of 30 minutes ago.

"
Ida is barreling through Louisiana after making landfall in the state as a powerful Category 4 hurricane on Sunday afternoon.

It was one of the strongest hurricanes on record -- by both wind speed and pressure -- to roar ashore in Louisiana.

The storm is hitting on the 16-year anniversary of Katrina, a Category 3 hurricane that ravaged the Gulf Coast. Hurricane Katrina unleashed a series of events, taking the lives of more than 1,800 people and leaving more than $100 billion worth of damage in its wake
."

"

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aug 30, 5:41 am

"

Ida downgraded to tropical storm

About 16 hours after making landfall in Louisiana, Ida was downgraded from a hurricane to a tropical storm early Monday morning.

As of 4 a.m. CT, Ida was moving north at 8 miles per hour with the eye of the storm located about 95 miles south-southwest of Jackson, Mississippi, and 50 miles north-northeast of Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The storm's maximum sustained winds have decreased near 60 miles per hour with higher gusts, according to an advisory from the National Weather Service.

The storm surge warning has been discontinued from Morgan City to Grand Isle, Louisiana. The hurricane and tropical storm warnings have been discontinued west of Grand Isle. The hurricane warning has been replaced with a tropical storm warning from Grand Isle to the mouth of the Pearl River, including Lake Pontchartrain, Lake Maurepas and metropolitan New Orleans. Storm surge and tropical storm warnings remain in effect for Grand Isle to the Alabama-Florida border, according to the National Weather Service.

Meanwhile, 16 states from Mississippi to New Jersey are still on alert for flash flooding. A flash flood watch is in place from the Gulf Coast to New Jersey.

So far, the highest rainfall total was recorded in LaPlace, Louisiana, which received 15 inches. A flash flood emergency remains in effect there, according to the National Weather Service.

Ida is forecast to rapidly weaken even more over the next day or so, becoming a tropical depression by Monday evening.

The storm will move farther inland over southeastern Louisiana early Monday and into southwestern Mississippi later in the morning. Ida is then forecast to move over central and northeastern Mississippi on Monday afternoon and evening before moving across the Tennessee Valley on Tuesday, according to the National Weather Service.

Aug 30, 4:40 am

Tornado warning issued for parts of southern Mississippi

The National Weather Service has issued a tornado warning for eastern Harrison County and northwestern Jackson County, both in southern Mississippi.

As Hurricane Ida approaches the Magnolia State, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado was located via radar over Biloxi in Mississippi's Harrison County early Monday at 2:46 a.m. CT. The "tornadic thunderstorm" was moving north at 65 miles per hour, according to an alert from the National Weather Service, which urged people to "take cover now!"

"Move to a basement or an interior room on the lowest floor of a sturdy building. Avoid windows," the National Weather Service said. "If you are outdoors, in a mobile home, or in a vehicle, move to the closest substantial shelter and protect yourself from flying debris."

The storm could impact the Gulfport–Biloxi International Airport as well as several miles of Interstate 10 and 110 in Mississippi, according to the National Weather Service. The tornado warning will remain in effect until 3:45 a.m. CT.

"Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without shelter," the National Weather Service warned. "Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed. Damage to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur. Tree damage is likely."

Aug 30, 4:16 am

New Orleans 'experiencing technical difficulties' with 911 system

The emergency communications center for New Orleans said it is "experiencing technical difficulties" with its 911 system, after the city lost power due to Hurricane Ida.

"If you find yourself in an emergency, please go to your nearest fire station or approach your nearest officer," the Orleans Parish Communication District announced via Twitter early Monday. "We will update you once this issue has been resolved."

Aug 30, 3:11 am

Latest forecast for Category 1 Hurricane Ida

Ida has weakened to a Category 1 hurricane with maximum sustained winds of 75 miles per hour, as it continues to thrash Louisiana.

As of 1 a.m. CT, Ida was moving north at 9 miles per hour with the eye of the storm located about 20 miles south-southwest of Greensburg, Louisiana, and 45 miles from McComb, Mississippi, according to an advisory from the National Weather Service.

Ida is expected to continue heading north inland over southeastern Louisiana early Monday morning and later move into southwestern Mississippi, with further weakening forecast throughout the day. Ida is expected to be downgraded to a tropical storm later Monday morning, Nevertheless, the National Weather Service warned of continued threats from dangerous storm surge, damaging winds and flash flooding in parts of southeastern Louisiana.

In LaPlace, Louisiana, where up to 13 inches of rain has fallen from Ida so far, there were reports of high-water rescues to save residents trapped on top of homes amid completely flooded roads. The National Weather Service has extended a flash flood emergency for the area.

The National Weather Service also declared a flash flood emergency for Lafitte and Jean Lafitte, Louisiana, on Sunday night due to heavy rain and storm surge reportedly causing a levee to fail. Citing local law enforcement, the National Weather Service said more than 200 people were in "imminent danger" and urged people to "seek higher ground now!"

Heavy rainfall from Ida will continue Monday in southeastern Louisiana and spread northeast into the Lower Mississippi Valley. Total accumulations of 10 to 18 inches, with isolated maximum amounts of 24 inches, is possible across southeastern Louisiana into far southern Mississippi through Monday, according to the National Weather Service.

Storm surge, hurricane and tropical storm warnings remain in effect from Louisiana to the Alabama-Florida border. A tornado watch is also in place from Louisiana to the Florida Panhandle until 6 a.m. CT.

Ida is forecast to turn to the northeast on Monday and track across the Middle Tennessee Valley and Upper Ohio Valley through Wednesday, dumping rain throughout the region, according to the National Weather Service.

"

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm still waking up.

Yesterday part of Mississippi River flowed backwards, that attests to how strong this storm was to do that.

Over 1 million people without power in Louisiana and Near 115K people without power in Mississippi.

Biloxi got hit hard lot of flooding. Almost none of the Mississippi flooding is making national news.

Hattisburg is getting 31MPH winds and rain right now.

911 system is down for LaFourche, Orleans, Jefferson Parish. They're telling people not to come back today if they've evacuated and the curfew remains in effect until further notice.

Cellular service is not good. they're telling people to text instead of call. That uses less data.

Ida is a depression currently and is traversing across parts of eastern Louisiana into Mississippi Please heed warnings with this storm, the amount of water associated with it.

I gotta get some coffee. I do have to work today as well so I will not be updating the thread as much as yesterday.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
this is a live channel

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@HollyJane there was some press conference with Entergy but I wasn't able to listen. I am glad that you had minimal damage though!

Lots are waiting for enough daylight to start assessing.

What what I've been reading this morning its going to be rough going for a while.

Waiting on a new advisory but the storm is still big, I think I called it a depression and should have said tettering between TS and Depression.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Baton Rouge News
They didn't get hit as bad.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where the storm goes from here. Its starting to make a northeast turn and will be picked up and dragged across.
211519_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

It’s taking the route I took to Mass.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This 5718D036-49DD-441C-A18F-ED9DF5E926BE.jpeg is my backyard In the Nola area. Other than that, everything looks good. My entire family stayed (which is mind boggling). My cousin had water intrusion through her windows and doors on her 2nd and 3rd floors and her first floor ceiling caved in.

My other cousin lives in Laplace but evacuated so we don’t know about her house yet (her husband is on parish council so he should be able to get back in soon). We haven’t heard from my son’s godfather who lives in Laplace.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This 5718D036-49DD-441C-A18F-ED9DF5E926BE.jpeg is my backyard In the Nola area. Other than that, everything looks good. My entire family stayed (which is mind boggling). My cousin had water intrusion through her windows and doors on her 2nd and 3rd floors and her first floor ceiling caved in.

My other cousin lives in Laplace but evacuated so we don’t know about her house yet (her husband is on parish council so he should be able to get back in soon). We haven’t heard from my son’s godfather who lives in Laplace.

If that's the worst of it @whitewave I'd say you got pretty lucky! Sorry to hear about your cousin's place.

You don't have power right?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm at the EVet. Will update soon as I can.

HollyJane

Shiny_Rock

Laplace got hammered. ☹️

I had a lot of debris like you but no property damage.

Electric is out and may be out for a while. I've lived off grid before and am pretty well set up for that through the rest of the week. After that it will get rough, and I'm not sure what I will do.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mississippi , who I don't want to forget is getting hit by a lot of this, the roads are having some issues. The storm is a low grade tropical storm but has a very wide windfield, which is problematic and is moving at only 9MPH. the damage from that is going to be bad no matter how its sliced.

over 100K homes and businesses without power there.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Flooding over the next 3 days Northeast folks need to pay attention, its going to be coming your way.
152146WPCERO_sm.gif

HollyJane

Shiny_Rock
I'm feeling horrible for friends with homes in Laplace.

I have discovered a couple trees down, that I will have to deal with eventually but aren't an immediate problem - they are not blocking my driveway, and they didn't fall on fencing or structures.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HTV10 is live

its a bit scary to watch/listen to some of this.

Over 100K people without power in Louisiana :cry2:
Thank you for posting the link to the livestream of HTV10 in Houma -- it was riveting (but heartbreaking) to watch & listen to their coverage. The crew did a FABULOUS job of not only keeping their community informed as all hell was breaking loose, but also offering emotional support.

Last edited:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arcadian you are doing God's work with these updates. I know it sounds strange, but it was a comfort to me reading your posts, like their was another person helping me.

I'm happy to be of help. Having been through some knarly weather its nice to see someone who cares enough to inform. The saddest of all is that once the news cycle of this storm is over, so many will forget. Living down here I just can't forget what these things do, just like when I lived in the NE, the blizzards up there ...not something you forget either! Its a reminder that the US has some of the most violent weather on planet earth.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for posting the link to the livestream of HTV10 in Houma -- it was riveting (but heartbreaking) to watch & listen to their coverage. The crew did a FABULOUS job of not only keeping their community informed as all hell was breaking loose, but also offering emotional support.

I was watching until 2 am. At some point, I fell asleep. Thank you for the link!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hoping that everyone in the affected areas are safe and well.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
they are also tweeting some information about roads being open or closed

Last alert for Ida was at 4am this morning as it joined the high going to the northeast.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know we don't do charity type stuff on here, because we don't want to add in anything unscrupulous. So, I will pass on information via the local news channels and let that be that. be careful who you give to, there are some who have not one problem taking advantage of others.

https://weather.com/ not local but they have charity links
https://www.wwltv.com/ New Orleans. They also have FEMA assistance links for those who need them
https://www.wafb.com/ I think they're Baton Rouge but they have good info and links
https://www.ktbs.com/ Shreveport, LA station
https://www.houmatoday.com/ - Houma, LA news paper

https://www.fema.gov/locations/louisiana - FEMA

For those who might be looking for food pantries or soup kitchens in affected areas I'm unsure how up to date it is considering but this was what I was given by a federal coordinator in the area.

https:/www.foodpantries.org

There are many groups in the panhandle and a few local to me who are close to the affected areas who will be driving in supplies. I will only post with the admin team here.

I spoke with one of my neighbors who's husband is a lineman. She said its terrible there and he will be there for a very long time.

Please keep these people in your thoughts. its going to be a rough ride.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you all who are in the affected areas are doing well. I saw some images of Grand Isle and they are just heartbreaking. Lot of stuff now coming out that because the news cycle has pretty much moved on, probably won't get told.

In other news as its associated with Ida, I heard something about Pennsylvania needed several thousand people to evacuate because of water coming over dams

HollyJane

Shiny_Rock
I hope you all who are in the affected areas are doing well. I saw some images of Grand Isle and they are just heartbreaking. Lot of stuff now coming out that because the news cycle has pretty much moved on, probably won't get told.

In other news as its associated with Ida, I heard something about Pennsylvania needed several thousand people to evacuate because of water coming over dams

Very sad. It was a powerful hurricane. ☹️

I'm grinding it out every day with the generator and running around looking for gas for it. My water well pump is electric. Lol. So, worse comes to worst, I'll end up using the bathroom in the porta potty and washing my hair in the horses' water trough.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very sad. It was a powerful hurricane. ☹️

I'm grinding it out every day with the generator and running around looking for gas for it. My water well pump is electric. Lol. So, worse comes to worst, I'll end up using the bathroom in the porta potty and washing my hair in the horses' water trough.

Everybody on the east coast is getting some of Ida.

Oh gosh, thats rough! I have seen from some who've been posting the lines. Scares me a when I think about what that would be like here (they can be bad even on a threat of hurricane)

Gasbuddy seems to be what most are mentioning, and Sam's Club but one must be a member to get gas. Some of the live feeds I've posted aren't working anymore (which is rough too) so its hard to tell whats going on where.

I feel like a mom for asking but I'm hoping you're getting some decent meals?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results