shape
carat
color
clarity

I love colored diamonds...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

colors!

Rough_Rock
but I''m not so interested in yellow. Please help- I don''t know where to start looking and our budget isn''t huge.
Who are the reputable on-line dealers? Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you considered sapphire and ruby?

colored diamond + not yellow != small budget
colored diamond + not yellow == huge budget
unless you get nuked blues which can be pretty nice but not everyone likes the color.

colors!

Rough_Rock
Yes, I''ve considered/am considering sapphires.
But I really like the diamonds- how the color is so unique for each one. Also size doesn''t matter. I was thinking I might have a better chance with a pair of small stones as sides stones.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Colored diamonds do exist. Of course the most common color is yellow or brownish - and typically these are not that expensive (many "cultured" diamonds are focused as a "fancy yellow" because those are the easiest and cheapest to make that has a market, more colorless diamonds take a lot more time and energy to make - and were not considered worth persuing).

Of the other colors: My understanding is that Blue and Green can be made with various forms of radiation; and these stones are often relatively cheap as they start with diamonds that are not worth selling in the normal jewery range.

If you are looking for natural colord diamonds outside of the pale yellow and pale brown - you are talking mega bucks. They are rare - and priced accordingly.

I do not know any dealers who specialize in that market. I would however contact some of the key pricescope vendors (NiceIce, Good Old Gold, Winfields, Whiteflash) for recomendations. I am sure that they know who does deal in those markets - and who is reputable.

Perry

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are some nice website to look at, if you wanted - some post prices which, with a grain of salt is helpful IMO.

Try:

Fancydiamonds (at ww.fancydiamonds.net), Fancycolordiamonds, Icestore, Amgad, Diamondsbylauren...

And for some jewelry designs with small and not so small colored diamonds: Walter Dickhaut's website was mentioned recently and you will find a couple of interesting threads about green diamonds and what not on the colored gem forum with some contribution from David Kodner - you may want to look up his place on the web.

I don't know what on Earth could be called a 'bargain' among colored diamonds - if anything, I suspect the stone will have a long name - like 'fancy intense brownish orange pink' : so that guessing what the thing looks like gets lost in the line of modifiers. Not often, but just some times this meas nice color for not allot of cash. I wonder if by some mistake of fate THIS isn't one, but you never know. The same shop brought in a small 'chameleon' in the same time with that stone (link).

colors!

Rough_Rock
Hmmm.... some of those websites are new info and some I''ve found, but I wasn''t sure if they were reputable. I''m trying to get an acct with amgad but they won''t respond to my emails. I''ll have to call next week.
It seems because colored diamonds are more expensive most jewelry is outrageous with huge pink or canary diamonds. I don''t seem to find much modest jewelry.
I found this pair of pink I was thinking of as sidestones http://www.fancydiamonds.net/Pink_Diamonds/Pink_Price_750_3000/560.htm
they''re not certified like a lot of their stones- does it matter?
I also like the chameleon and the brownish-orange-pink. Part of what I like about the colored diamonds is that each one is so unique.
I doubt I''ll meet someone else who has a brownish orange pink diamond
28.gif

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
I would say you need to really figure out what your budget is and know what kind of colors you can get for your budget. Yellows - more like the fancy light yellows and fancy yellows are definitely affordable depending on size and quality, but it sounds like you aren''t that thrilled about yellow diamonds. If you like the other colors and want a stone that is "natural", you might want to consider a cognac diamond or a lighter and smaller pink diamond.

Do you know what shape and size you prefer? Are you looking for a stone as an engagement ring, right hand ring, or other? What color really is your preference?

For fancy colors, I think it is best to make sure the stone comes with a GIA report - whether it be a full cert or color only at least.
A natural blue diamond would be extremely expensive, even if it is fancy light blue or even has blue as a modifying color.

I''ve seen some more affordable fancy light pinks (still not exactly cheap) - but some people feel that they aren''t "pink" enough.

Many people are using fancy pink mellee in rings since it is more afforadable than having a pink center stone. That might be an idea to explore. Have a pink diamond band or use pink mellee around a different center stone if you are going for a halo look, or just have 2 small side colored diamonds.

As far as online places to look at - you might want to check out diamondsbylauren (www.diamondsbylauren). He has a lot of different shades of yellow and some pinks - some with brownish modifiers to make them more affordable.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
I also forgot to add that I have a fancy deep brownish orangey pink diamond - and I like it a lot. Fancy colored diamonds have a way of sucking you in and mesmerizing you! They definitely are very different gems.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perry......"Of the other colors: My understanding is that Blue and Green can be made with various forms of radiation; and these stones are often relatively cheap as they start with diamonds that are not worth selling in the normal jewery range."

That''s Simply not true. Treated stones are not necessarily diamonds not worth selling in the "normal" jewelry range. True that the blue and other colors are "treated" with either low levels of radiation or a proceess called High Pressure High Temperature, but it''s not true they are always of lower quality.

I recently purchased a very high quality, ideal cut 1.04 carat "blue" diamond. The stone is G VS2 and is absolutely stunning. There are many threads on this forum about fantastic treated stones.

colors!

Rough_Rock
Kroshka- I love the brownish orangey pink diamonds! Do you have a picture?
I also like chameleon diamonds- they''re cool.
It looks like pink sidestones will be feasible for my budget. I hope it pans out.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Colors!,

I''m working on trying to take some decent pics - will post as soon as I get something decent that resembles the color correctly. I''m definitely not a photographer and the digital camera I have kind of sucks
39.gif

I''m excited to hear about your ring with pink sides - what will your center stone be and what shape and shade of pinks will you use as the side stones?

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/23/2006 10:00:11 AM
Author: Rod

Perry......''Of the other colors: My understanding is that Blue and Green can be made with various forms of radiation; and these stones are often relatively cheap as they start with diamonds that are not worth selling in the normal jewery range.''

That''s Simply not true. Treated stones are not necessarily diamonds not worth selling in the ''normal'' jewelry range. True that the blue and other colors are ''treated'' with either low levels of radiation or a proceess called High Pressure High Temperature, but it''s not true they are always of lower quality.

I recently purchased a very high quality, ideal cut 1.04 carat ''blue'' diamond. The stone is G VS2 and is absolutely stunning. There are many threads on this forum about fantastic treated stones.

Rod and Perry,
Actually, you are both right. Most larger irradiated blues are made from lower quality stones for the simple reason that treated blues don''t sell for as high a price as a good to better quality white diamond. After all, dealers would be irrational to reduce the value of their stock on top of paying for the radiation or HPHT treatment. The junk blues you see on some home shopping channels are prime examples of these.

Nonetheless, occasionally you can find an unusally fine treated stone. I have several, including this 3.11ct oval: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-big-blue-diamond.34921/. Both are bright and very eye clean (VS and SI1 respectively), not your typical dark, included stones.

I have also recently seen some treated pinks that were exceptional, which Colors might want to explore. I bought a .35tcw pair for second hole earrings for my daughter that are stunning.

Would love to see a photo of your 1.04 blue, Rod.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GK.......I still haven''t figured how to attach a link to another thread. You can see both rings. Use the search bar above and just type in Three More Days, click on search and voila, you''ll be wisked to the thread I posted with pictures.

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/26/2006 7:23:15 PM
Author: Rod
GK.......I still haven''t figured how to attach a link to another thread. You can see both rings. Use the search bar above and just type in Three More Days, click on search and voila, you''ll be wisked to the thread I posted with pictures.
Thanks Rod. I had forgottten that was a 1.04. I did see it when you first posted it (even commented on it). I was blown away by it then, and it was great to see it again now.

BTY, to post a link, just go to the link, go up to "edit" on your tool bar, pull down the menu, copy the link from your browser and then paste it in to your message.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a pic of my fancy deep brownish orangey pink pear (it has GIA report). Sorry the pic is small - hope you can get a good idea of the color though.

fbop_pear.jpg

colors!

Rough_Rock
Kroshka- that''s beautiful! Are you going to have it set?
Sooo, based on your recommendation I think I''m going to work with David Kodner to make me a ring.
I''ll let you know how it goes
1.gif

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks colors!

I don''t think I will have this stone set for a while, unless I come across something that I feel really matches the stone. I had been contemplating making it into a pendant someday.

Be sure to post about how things go with your ring and post pictures! I''m always excited to see fancy colored diamond anything
19.gif

I have to admit that I''m already addicted to fancy colors - I hope to collect at least one of each color.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/28/2006 1:02:53 PM
Author: kroshka

I don't think I will have this stone set for a while, unless I come across something that I feel really matches the stone. I had been contemplating making it into a pendant someday.

These relatively small, unique diamonds are such a design challenge, aren't they !

It doesn't happen often to find a 'wow' piece made with them. Especially those incorporating several bits of 'color' with regard to a collector's opportunity to mix and match favorite random pieces...

Does this make any sense? Maybe a picture does it better - in fact, I just wanted to post this piece
38.gif

120351lge.jpg

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
That''s a very cute design Ana! Thanks for posting that. Now you''ve got me thinking about what to do with my pear. Until now, it''s been sitting in a box for a long time. Keep the ideas coming if you see some other neat designs.

I can''t tell you how difficult it is to decide how to mount some of the fancy colors. I guess me being indecisive sometimes also doesn''t help
9.gif

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Let me chime in as another fan of colored diamonds. I have a natural orange just slightly more yellowish than the one in Ana''s pendant photo, a light pink marquise that I set for my daughter, and quite a few champagnes/cognacs from C1 to C7. I also have the full range of colors in treated stones ranging from .12 to 3.11cts. Many of them are posted in various threads here.

Kroshka, very nice pear!
36.gif
Keep us updated on your collecting efforts.

Ana, you''re right about finding that special setting for a unique colored diamond. For example, the pink I set for my daughter is flanked by the marquise sidestones from her mother''s original engagement ring (left over after her upgrade). It makes for an heirloom quality piece.

Opallover, great link. Thanks.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/28/2006 2:00:37 PM

Keep the ideas coming if you see some other neat designs.
There really are very few I kept in mind. It can''t be easy to make a 10-30pts diamond attract attention proportional to their rarity and interest...

Anyway, these three were up in line on my HD and who knows, if anything comes up, I am always happy to exchange ideas and maybe get to draw something.
5.gif

David Keeling''s ring is not (yet) rendered with colored diamonds, but seems so fit for the task. The third one is what I have in mind (more or less) for a bottle green or brown stone - probably not quite so small though, although the ring seems perfect, and very much in tune with the discrete nature of the rare, small colored diamonds. All IMO. It feels great to exchange notes and share impressions
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/28/2006 2:38:48 PM
Author: GemKlctr

For example, the pink I set for my daughter is flanked by the marquise sidestones from her mother''s original engagement ring (left over after her upgrade). It makes for an heirloom quality piece.
Sounds intriguing! I have seen a few round & marq rings - all from around 1930 or so, and loved the look. Especially with relatively smaller stones.

For some reason the picture refused to attach to the previous post. This should have went above:

ThreeColors.JPG

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Ana,
Actually, the piece I had set for my daughter is a Stuller pendant with the pink marquise pointed down, the whites slightly flared out on either side and a pave bale above.

I really like the ring on the upper right in your post.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
GK,

Do you have pics of your daughter''s pink pendant? I''d love to see more of your collection! I did see your pretty treated blue diamonds and the one collection photo you had with all the rings in the other threads. Pretty awesome collection you have going there. I will see what I can do about getting some photos of mine
2.gif

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 5:46:53 PM
GK,

Do you have pics of your daughter''s pink pendant? I''d love to see more of your collection! I did see your pretty treated blue diamonds and the one collection photo you had with all the rings in the other threads. Pretty awesome collection you have going there. I will see what I can do about getting some photos of mine
2.gif
Unfortunately, I don''t have a photo and she has it with her at college. If you didn''t see these, take a look at part of my colored diamond collection here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/royal-cognac-diamonds.33061/ (It''s the 5th post). The top row are treated and the bottom row are natural. The orange is the fourth from the left.

Looking forward to seeing yours.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Here is an ok pic of my collection - sometimes I''m able to get a good shot and many many times not!

GK - how big is the pink in your daughter''s pendant? You need to get a pic of that to share
18.gif

pink_collection.jpg

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Very nice.
36.gif
How big are each of those? My light pink marquise is approximately 12 points, 4.5x2.5mm.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Hi GK,

I don''t remember the exact weights of all of them offhand (would need to look at the reports), but they range from approximately a third of a carat up to almost a carat. The fancy deep brownish orangey pink pear pictured here and in the other thread is a little over a half carat.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
What about cherrypicked.com? They''ve got beautiful pictures, good for getting a sense of colored diamonds. Plus I''ve heard that if you see something you like but is sold, you can call and they''ll try to find something like it for you.

Date: 2/18/2006 5:19:03 AM
Author: strmrdr

colored diamond + not yellow != small budget

colored diamond + not yellow == huge budget

unless you get nuked blues which can be pretty nice but not everyone likes the color
Ok, I gotta ask. Strmrdr, are you a Java programmer??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results