shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Cognac Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DizzyDogs

Rough_Rock
Hi, I''m new on this forum. I read a lot of your posts this morning & found them really fasinating :)

Just one thing, I have just bought a Royal Cognac Diamond ring, well to be more acurate my husband bought it for me for my birthday.

I couldn''t find any discussion on these stones & I would love to learn about them
34.gif

Do any of you have any information on them please? How do they vary from white diamonds, are they rarer, where are they mined?

Any information you can offer would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Sue

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
"Brown Browns are by far the most abundant color of diamond, and the least desired. Gem quality browns are often given elaborate names, anything to avoid calling them brown. Champagne is a code word for lightly tinted brown diamond. Darker browns are often called "cognac" (does anyone else wonder about this trend in alcohol references?). The color in most brown diamonds results from parallel lamellae (like very small stripes). The origin of the lamellae is unknown."

http://www.emporia.edu/earthsci/amber/go340/students/flax/fancy.htm

That said I kinda like some of them but I wouldnt pay a lot for them.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Hey!! I at one time was on a hunt for the Cognac/Champagne diamonds. I love them and think that they have a lot of character. I have seen some that are just yummy and others that loook at lot like dog doocky. But if you love the color.. that is what is important. They are less desirable.. to some and are more frequent.. ironically finding abundant information on the web about them is HARD. I beleive many are mined in Australia and there are some beautiful cognac/champagne diamonds out there. Congratulations on your ring!! please post pictures of your ring.. I would love to see it!!! Also you could try posting this is diamond talk as well. Do not be discouraged.. I am sure that it is stunning!!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I would also try searching on the forums just type in cognac diamond... champagne diamond or brown diamond... I know there have been some discussions about them before!

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
While it is true that the name game in gems for marketing purposes has gotten out of hand, lighter browns with yellowish/golden overtones and darker browns with reddish overtones can be very attractive and merit the fancy names of "champagne" and "cognac" respectively, IMO. While they are substantially less expensive than whites and certainly other fancy colors, larger clean stones with good cutting and transparency (not too dark) may not be cheap. Although I am relatively new on PS, I believe there is at least one PS''r with a spectacular champagne diamond ring. I have attached a poor photo of some of my collection of treated (top row) and natural (bottom row) colored diamonds.

Diamonds2.jpg

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
OMG, GemKlctr, I have been fascinated with champagne diamonds for quite some time. Boy would I love to see that bottom collection with my own eyes!!!
30.gif
I have only found a few vendors at the gem shows in recent years who have any to see, but so far, I have not found any that speak to me (light to med champagne with rosy undertone).

While we are sharing pics, drool on these.
30.gif

champagnerings01.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Sue...welcome to PS. Like Mine! I hope you''ll post pictures of your ring!

I''m a huge fan of brown/champagne/cognac diamonds...I think they can be just lovely. Gemklctr''s collection of natural fancys is sure proof of that!
30.gif

Here''s a picture of a brown diamond I saved long ago because I think it is so yummy. It almost looks "taupe" to me!
3.gif

widget

untitled[oi.jpg

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/1/2005 9:56:19 AM
Author: diamondlil
OMG, GemKlctr, I have been fascinated with champagne diamonds for quite some time. Boy would I love to see that bottom collection with my own eyes!!!
30.gif
I have only found a few vendors at the gem shows in recent years who have any to see, but so far, I have not found any that speak to me (light to med champagne with rosy undertone).

While we are sharing pics, drool on these.
30.gif
Great pics DL. I''m with you on the champagnes, but unfortunately my wife does not share that fascination
7.gif
, so I haven''t done much with them in the jewelry department for some time. Remind me before the next DC get together and I will bring the display. I do have several jewelry pieces from a prior life that I will try to get a photo of tonight. BTW, who on PS has the 2ct marquise champagne ring I remember seeing?

And Sue, ditto on seeing pics of your ring. I''m sure it''s a knockout.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
That scale was devised by the Argyle Mines, but I think I like the look of the stone Widget posted better...a less warm color. Anyone know a reliable source/retailer for brown diamonds? Could be a neat rhr!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I have not found any vendors at the gem show I go to that have anything decent -- mostly small stuff of poor color and clarigy.

There is an eBay store called Rottie Ricks Diamonds that I stumbled across a year or so back that specializes in champagne/cognac colors. He takes really great pictures. He has 99.9% postive feedback, so his stones can be too bad. Check it out :

http://stores.ebay.com/Rottie-Ricks-Diamonds_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

What do you think?
33.gif

GemKlctr, did you get your collection of champagne/cognacs at the shows?

Still waiting for your picture, Sue . . . . . .
2.gif

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
DL, a few of the c/cs in my case came from Kripps at the show (unfortunately, they are no longer carrying as many loose stones, but did have a few c/cs at the last show) and Victoria Gems (who no longer come to the shows). Others I have in jewelry came from Timeless Gems [?](Kim Sarosi, Andrew''s wife, many years ago when she was still coming to the shows and specializing in colored diamonds). Other c/cs in the case came from Gems Plus G back when they were conducting their own web auctions and running 75-80% discounts for end of year close outs. I see very few deals like that anymore.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
GK, I looked at a couple of yellow diamonds at Kripps, but none were the buttery light yellow of your wife''s ring. I forget the name of the vendor I saw that had the champagnes, but what they had looked flat (no sparkle). I''m sure the cut was off, or maybe I just like the way the champages photograph but not in person. I''m still in the learning stage when it comes to colored diamonds.

Andrew Sarosi has some really beautiful thing -- top notch. Is his wife the pretty lady with the short platinum blond hair and the huge irradiated blue diamond ring? I''ve admired that on many occasions.
30.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
last winter i looked at a couple of champagnes that a local jeweler brought in for me to look at. one caught my eye and was a ''champagne'' colo, not ''brown''. it was sparkly, gorgeous, etc. not flat and brown at all.

it is also my understanding that the australian mine is not going to be producing much come 2006 and the days of ''inexpensive'' champagnes are gone. however, they certainly are a lot less expensive than reds, pinks, etc.!

as in all things, you get what you pay for. if i want a really rich sparkly diamond no matter what color, i''m going to have to pay the price. and the champagne i saw was worth the bucks. don''t know if the picture i tried to attach will work but if so, it doesn''t do the stone justice. if not, see: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/seen-any-green-brown-cognac-diamonds-in-pave.25411/

peace, movie zombie

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
MZ, I hear the same about the Argyle Mine producing fewrer champagnes and pinks. And you''re absolutely right about paying top dollar for the really attractive champagnes and cognacs (which reminds me we''re still waiting to see Sue''s ring, which I''m sure is in that category
3.gif
). The thread you linked contains terrific examples of such valuable stones.

DL, my wife''s ring is a GIA certed natural fancy yellow from Kimmimoto. Kripps typically only carries irradiated yellows and champagnes, but he had very few even of those this past show. He told me he is focusing more on finished jewelry rather than loose stones because that is what the majority of the show customers appear to want. Just as you observed, the major problem I have seen with ch/cg stones is poor (usually deep) cutting, which frequently leaves them lifeless. That''s probably what the other vendor was carrying. The woman you describe is not Andrew''s wife. Kim is equally attractive
2.gif
, but hasn''t come to the shows for 10 years or more, since she had her first child (with Andrew at least; don''t know about otherwise. Andrew has grown children from an earlier marriage. His son Marc runs AfricaGems and a couple of years ago made a major gem donation to the Smithsonian.) I know who you mean, but not her name. She has been working at their booth for quite some time.

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
OMG, I saw a brownish/orangy/pink fat pear diamond today on some website..can''t remember which one.
3.gif
19.gif
If I could have plucked it right out of the screen I would have stashed it in my pocket and ran, lol.

Sasori

Shiny_Rock
Price of these brown diamonds seems to have shot up signifcantly compared to a few years back...
Guess its a matter of demand and supply?

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/2/2005 12:15:13 AM
Author: Diamonds4Me
OMG, I saw a brownish/orangy/pink fat pear diamond today on some website..can''t remember which one.
3.gif
19.gif
If I could have plucked it right out of the screen I would have stashed it in my pocket and ran, lol.
Okay, is it weird that I think that sounds awesome?! You must remember! I want to see it!!!
emcry.gif

emsmile.gif

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/2/2005 12:33:45 AM
Author: fatafelice

Date: 9/2/2005 12:15:13 AM
Author: Diamonds4Me
3.gif
19.gif
Okay, is it weird that I think that sounds awesome?! You must remember! I want to see it!!!
emcry.gif

emsmile.gif
39.gif
39.gif
I know! I''m trying to remember where I found it. Having this OCD with diamond sites of any kind it kind of makes it like searching for a needle in a haystack.
20.gif
I truly need help...on the professional level, lol.
37.gif
9.gif

DizzyDogs

Rough_Rock
What a smashing response! Thank you all very much for the information.

I wanted the ring when I saw it as is is unusual in design as well as colour. I usually go for the white diamonds but this ring really caught my eye.

I will post pictures on or after my birthday, 15th of September. I am sorry but when I asked David he had just taken an hour wrapping it up and he said no way can I have it before my b''day!!
8.gif
We will all just have to be patient.

I have just scubbed my attempts at describing it. It will be better if I just take some pics for you soon.

I do love all the pictures of your rings on the forum. I just told David we have to send some really good micro''s to do it justice
36.gif

Regards,

Sue

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Can''t wait to see it, Sue. Don''t forget to include some hand shots.

My daughter''s B-day is Sept. 15th as well!
9.gif

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
While we are waiting for Sue''s birthday, here are some pieces of my champagne/cognac jewelry collection. The first is a leopard design suite from Timeless Gems. As in the following photos, the morning light was not great.

P1000295.JPG

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
.85ct amber-colored pear with .15ct white diamond accent.

ChPear.JPG

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
1.60tcw C-2 earrings with white accents.

ChERs.JPG

JoangA

Shiny_Rock
Here''s my 1.3 VS2, which I love. It sparkles orange flash in the sun.. I also had the ring custom made.

cognacXX.jpg

Rube

Shiny_Rock
Gosh, I love these stones! Steer me towards brown or gray stones any day, and I''ll bite!

I guess I don''t have much to add except that I too think the champagne/cognac diamonds are beautiful, and I hope we get to see even more pictures.
36.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/2/2005 1:54:24 PM
Author: GemKlctr
While we are waiting for Sue''s birthday, here are some pieces of my champagne/cognac jewelry collection. The first is a leopard design suite from Timeless Gems. As in the following photos, the morning light was not great.
OMG, you''re killing me, GK. I LOVE the idea of different colored champagne stones all together in one piece!

gemnut

Shiny_Rock
Well, as long as we are talking shades of brown, here is a pic of one of my latest acquisitions - an antique style ring (Victorian repro) with genuine antique diamonds. I normaly dislike brown diamonds, but I fell in love with the central design made up of the "champagne" diamonds and just grabbed it on impulse!
4.gif
At 30X30mm and about 3 cts total weight it has joined my "Land of the Giants" ring collection!
26.gif

Gemnut

antique_diam_ring.gif

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/2/2005 4:52:27 PM
Author: JoangA
Here''s my 1.3 VS2, which I love. It sparkles orange flash in the sun.. I also had the ring custom made.
Absolutely gorgeous. Congratulations on a stunning and unique piece!

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/2/2005 5:43:14 PM
Author: gemnut
Well, as long as we are talking shades of brown, here is a pic of one of my latest acquisitions - an antique style ring (Victorian repro) with genuine antique diamonds. I normaly dislike brown diamonds, but I fell in love with the central design made up of the ''champagne'' diamonds and just grabbed it on impulse!
4.gif
At 30X30mm and about 3 cts total weight it has joined my ''Land of the Giants'' ring collection!
26.gif

Gemnut
Another classic that illustrates the appeal of multicolored diamonds.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results