carat
color
clarity

I just wanna say -- the random comments thread

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2010 5:25:06 PM
Author: packrat
MC-oh boy I love to show off our yard! We should be done w/most of it by the end of the month. We have some bricking and such in the back to do as well.

It''s nice that you''re going to volunteer at the shelter. We don''t have a shelter any closer than an hour away here..we have a vet tho..I wonder if they ever take volunteers to help w/their animals. It is really sad, I agree, about the number of adult cats in shelters. I hate to see them in those small cages.
I''m kind of afraid of what I''ll see when in the shelters. All of my cats were adopted from people placing ads in the paper or friends of friends who had kittens, so I''ve never been to "the pound," although two of my previous cats, ones that my DH brought home for me, were from there so I''ve been mom to shelter kitties. . .just not seen them in their cages. It''ll be quite an eye opener to see the reality.

The PAWS and Humane Society sites look so glossy. . .who knows what I''ll see when in the actual facility. I''m going to go in this week. . .either Tuesday or Wednesday just to visit. Before volunteering, I need to be sure the place is right for me. Currently, I do quite a bit of helping around the community - I help children with reading skills throught the school district - so I''m experienced with that, just not with animals.

My quick tale . . .one day I was at home typing on the computer and my dh comes home and into our office. He puts a large box on the floor next to me. . .I thought, "nooo, you couldn''t have." The first thought that popped through my head was that there were CATS in there (even though we hadn''t talked AT ALL about adopting any!). I opened the top, and yes, they there were, meowing and curious. That was one of the best days of my life.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2010 7:32:49 PM
Author: April20

Date: 4/4/2010 1:07:12 PM
Author: MC

Date: 4/3/2010 12:05:30 PM
Author: April20

Date: 4/3/2010 11:59:53 AM
Author: ZoeBartlett
It sounds like a GREAT weekend April!
3.gif

We''re off to get our taxes done. Nothing like waiting til the last minute. I guess it could be worse though -- it could be April 14th.
We haven''t done our taxes either!! DH owns his own business, so we can''t get our taxes done until the business taxes are done. I''ve been on him to get everything to the accountant for weeks. He got the business stuff to him last week and I really, really want to get our stuff to him so it just gets DONE.
Still taxes not done? Eh! We did ours early and received our return in the first batch of checks (or electronic deposit). When my DH was self employeed (which he now is again), we were late a few times and that was fun being fined.
14.gif
I am going to KILL DH if we get a fine for being late. I''ve been on him since February to be getting everything to our accountant. I was always the person who did their taxes the minute I had all the information. It''s making me pretty crazy to be this close to the deadline and not even have them started.
The fines suck. . .but nothing compared to if you''re not up on you Social Security. We had a couple nasty years there (fines plus back taxes).

Good luck to you guys!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been to the Humane Society once, when I went w/my aunt and cousin to drop off 2 dogs that were abandoned. It was really hard. I think that was part of what made me wish I could win the lottery and open my own shelter. I want something huge and where the animals aren''t in cages, just free to roam a large building and enclosed outside area. The vets here in town, when I lived at home, mom and I would go in now and again and take the cats that they were going to put down. They ended up being outside cats, but they were fed and sheltered and vaccinated and got attention rather than being in a cage, or put to sleep. We used to encourage (out of dad''s hearing) people who were going to dump their cats to bring them to our house. I''m just a total sucker for kitties.

Roxie Bling

Rough_Rock
Trade
Why do I care that my child was not accepted to a private school, that we had decided even if she had been admitted we were going to turn them down? Ugh!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2010 10:58:36 PM
Author: packrat
I''ve been to the Humane Society once, when I went w/my aunt and cousin to drop off 2 dogs that were abandoned. It was really hard. I think that was part of what made me wish I could win the lottery and open my own shelter. I want something huge and where the animals aren''t in cages, just free to roam a large building and enclosed outside area. The vets here in town, when I lived at home, mom and I would go in now and again and take the cats that they were going to put down. They ended up being outside cats, but they were fed and sheltered and vaccinated and got attention rather than being in a cage, or put to sleep. We used to encourage (out of dad''s hearing) people who were going to dump their cats to bring them to our house. I''m just a total sucker for kitties.
Funny. My husband''s mom was the same way. She and my DH (when he was around 10) lived at the end of a dirt road and people had the tendency to dump their unwanted pets there and as a result, they had over 20 wild cats roaming around. They had a large section of land, so the cats roamed all over the place. Bizzarely, once a *baby duck* ended up there. My husband kept it as a pet in the bath tub for a few weeks. . .I forget what happened after to the little one. How cute, though, huh?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
aww a baby duck, how sweet! My grandparents had a mommy cat that would nurse any animal-she found a nest of baby squirrels once, and I don't remember the story exactly, if the mom squirrel kicked them out, or died, but she nursed the squirrels along w/her babies, and then they kept one of them in a cage. His name was Quincy, and my brother and I used to give him apples. He wasn't a "pet" that would let you hold him, much as we wanted to-he would bite.

ETA: not like a little dinky cage, Grampa built him a huge cage that had 2 sides and 2 doors-roofed and everything like a little house.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Annnnnnnnnnnnnd my car now won''t start. WHY!!!!!!! *pulls hair out*

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
MC...I think helping out at a shelter coudl be very beneficial for you, but it can be heartbreaking, as well, because you''ll want to take all of them home with you. All of my pets have been rescues, and every time I walk through the SPCA or the shelters, my heart breaks because I can''t take care of all of them. When I have adopted, I always try to find an adult animal that otherwise won''t have a home...so many people only want puppies or kittens and the older animals go without ever being adopted...it breaks my heart.

And, for the record, as some here might recall, I still haven''t gotten over my first cat and very best friend, Maverick, and though we''ve opened up our home and hearts to three new rescues, every time I think about my sweet Maverick, I tear up. Only pet lovers can understand that...he was the best family I ever had, and I miss him dearly. Sadly, to DH they are just animals, but to me he was one of the biggest parts of my life I can every remember. I never had a pet growing up, and he was there with me while I was graduating from college, getting my teaching credential, moving out on my own, getting my first teaching job and then my first house. Sadly, he didn''t make it until I finally got married, but I know he would want me to spread the love I have to as many other animals as possible, and he is a reminder every day how very precious life is, animal OR human. I miss him terribly, but I cherish the years I had with him.

I hope you find some comfort in working at the local shelter...it sounds like you contribute to your community a lot, and as a teacher, I commend you for that. I hope you find a happy medium that helps you to feel fulfilled.

Big hugs!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
MC
I''m sorry about your kitty. I know that it is hard losing a pet. They are like family.

My bride''s wedding was gorgeous!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
It''s Opening Day!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Red Sox kicked Yankee butt last night in the Season Opener!

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/5/2010 10:59:59 AM
Author: meresal
It''s Opening Day!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Awwww Yeah!!! Went out for dinner last night and at the table next to us sat Roy Oswalt of our Houston Astros. Looking forward to seeing him toss some fire tonight! ;-)

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
MC- SO SO sorry to hear about your Kitty. Hugs.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2010 11:22:06 AM
Author: Strawdermangrl

It's Opening Day!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Awwww Yeah!!! Went out for dinner last night and at the table next to us sat Roy Oswalt of our Houston Astros. Looking forward to seeing him toss some fire tonight! ;-)
HH- We didn't watch the game, but saw a few FB updates from SIL in NYC.

Straw- How cool! Are you going to the game?! I'm walking from my office to Minute Maid to meet DH after work. I can't wait! I'm so glad I am only going to be pregnant for a month of this. Once the spring weather hits and baseball season starts... I just have to have a cold beer!

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
FI and I have decided to move in with his mom/step-dad/brother at their new house, in order to save serious $$ to buy our own house.

Please tell me this is not the worst idea in the world ..

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/5/2010 12:00:08 PM

Date: 4/5/2010 11:22:06 AM

It''s Opening Day!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
HH- We didn''t watch the game, but saw a few FB updates from SIL in NYC.

Straw- How cool! Are you going to the game?! I''m walking from my office to Minute Maid to meet DH after work. I can''t wait! I''m so glad I am only going to be pregnant for a month of this. Once the spring weather hits and baseball season starts... I just have to have a cold beer!
We are!! I didn''t know you were a Houstonian!! I big puffy heart baseball. We always make our way over to The Bus first then we...ahem...stumble over to the stadium. When are you due??

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2010 12:40:03 PM
We are!! I didn''t know you were a Houstonian!! I big puffy heart baseball. We always make our way over to The Bus first then we...ahem...stumble over to the stadium. When are you due??
I''m due in 24 days! We will be at the bus as well for at least a beer or two (for DH and his brother, of course). If you see a lonely preggo looking longingly at the bar, you will know it is me!

I''m just hoping that this season opener goes better than last year! I can''t even explain the look on DH''s face when the second pitch of the season last year was a bomb to the right field. Horrible!

I live in Houston now, and cheer for the Astros, but I grew up with season tix for the Rangers and cheer for them at all 6 games they play against eachother! We are a home divided.
9.gif

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I could listen to Train''s "Hey Soul Sister" over and over and over again. Such a cute, fun song!!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2010 12:49:28 PM
Date: 4/5/2010 12:40:03 PM

I''m due in 24 days! We will be at the bus as well for at least a beer or two (for DH and his brother, of course). If you see a lonely preggo looking longingly at the bar, you will know it is me!

I''m just hoping that this season opener goes better than last year! I can''t even explain the look on DH''s face when the second pitch of the season last year was a bomb to the right field. Horrible!

I live in Houston now, and cheer for the Astros, but I grew up with season tix for the Rangers and cheer for them at all 6 games they play against eachother! We are a home divided.
9.gif

Goooooo Rangers! I worked with a bride on Saturday that is marrying a player for the Astros! Ashton Mowdy I think?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2010 12:58:02 PM
Author: OUpeargirl
I could listen to Train''s ''Hey Soul Sister'' over and over and over again. Such a cute, fun song!!
ME TOOOOOO! And it''s on a commercial now, I forget what for, but I LOVE THAT SONG!
36.gif
36.gif

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2010 1:23:06 PM
Author: monarch64
Date: 4/5/2010 12:58:02 PM

Author: OUpeargirl

I could listen to Train''s ''Hey Soul Sister'' over and over and over again. Such a cute, fun song!!
ME TOOOOOO! And it''s on a commercial now, I forget what for, but I LOVE THAT SONG!
36.gif
36.gif

I''m kind of obsessed..

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2010 12:13:04 PM
Author: lilyfoot
FI and I have decided to move in with his mom/step-dad/brother at their new house, in order to save serious $$ to buy our own house.

I think its a great idea. I come from a culture where this isn''t uncommon at all, especially for newlyweds. My mom did it for a year, and really got to have an appreciation for my grandmother who passed away while I was too young to remember. My dad isn''t much of a story-teller, so I appreciate the stories I get to hear from my mom''s year of living with his family.

And of course, there were "bad" moments as well, but she thinks they''re funny now. My dad''s little sister, my aunt, would use my mom''s shampoo and then put water in it to make it seem less obvious. I think she was a teenager then. So, that was pretty silly, and I think aggravating because she didn''t want to bring it up because it was petty and she didn''t mind sharing, but she didn''t want water in her shampoo either!

Congratulations on this step in your life! I think the time you''ll be living with them will go by even faster as you''ll be looking forward to moving into your new house.

TBjumper

Shiny_Rock
Its B-E-A-Utiful out side, and I can''t wait to get off of work and to go home and ride my new mare!!
36.gif

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock

I think that owning your own home will outweigh any inconveniences you go through living with the ILs in the long run.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
The good news: I''m on vacation this week, and I have no plans other than to do some spring cleaning, relax, and read a book or two.

The bad news: My husband''s home sick today. Poor guy.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2010 2:41:25 PM
Author: ZoeBartlett
The good news: I''m on vacation this week, and I have no plans other than to do some spring cleaning, relax, and read a book or two.

The bad news: My husband''s home sick today. Poor guy.

JEALOUS!

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/5/2010 2:07:46 PM
Author: IndyLady

I think its a great idea. I come from a culture where this isn't uncommon at all, especially for newlyweds. My mom did it for a year, and really got to have an appreciation for my grandmother who passed away while I was too young to remember. My dad isn't much of a story-teller, so I appreciate the stories I get to hear from my mom's year of living with his family.

And of course, there were 'bad' moments as well, but she thinks they're funny now. My dad's little sister, my aunt, would use my mom's shampoo and then put water in it to make it seem less obvious. I think she was a teenager then. So, that was pretty silly, and I think aggravating because she didn't want to bring it up because it was petty and she didn't mind sharing, but she didn't want water in her shampoo either!

Congratulations on this step in your life! I think the time you'll be living with them will go by even faster as you'll be looking forward to moving into your new house.
Thanks IndyGal! I think I'm pretty lucky to have awesome IL's.

It's also a huge plus that our doggies will have a humongo backyard to run around in, as opposed to being in an apartment right now!

ETA: My IL's are in their 60's, so I know what you mean about getting to have a full appreciation for that person, before they're gone. Obviously being 60 years old doesn't make you that old, but they're certainly older than most of our friends parents.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s weird being on vacation so early in April. I''m not used to it.

Happy belated birthday, HH! I hope you had a great day!

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/5/2010 2:40:55 PM
Author: BeachRunner

I think that owning your own home will outweigh any inconveniences you go through living with the ILs in the long run.
Thanks BeachRunner. That''s the way I figure it too. I''m lucky that we all get along really well. FI and I hope we will be able to put a big downpayment on a house, and this is the only way it won''t take us 100 years to do so!

TBjumper

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/5/2010 2:49:50 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
I am already sick of day #2 of earthquakes, microearthquakes and aftershocks thank you very much!
32.gif
No thank you! Hope you and your family are safe SDL!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results