shape
carat
color
clarity

I am in LOVE with an August Vintage Round (AVR)!!!!!!!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: I am in LOVE with an August Vintage Round (AVR)!!!!!!!!!

MissGotRocks|1349815234|3282364 said:
DS, just wondering if you spoke to Jon today about the stone?

If it is indeed gone, did he have any other suggestions?

Yes, I checked and there hasn't been a change. He said some of the new J's are beautiful. I am just hesitant to even consider a J when I was hesitant about I color already. Plus the I stone faced up larger because it wasn't as deep. So it is not likely that any of the new stones will be possible for me. I am sorta stuck at the moment!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, after having come this far I wouldn't settle for something that I wasn't 100% comfortable with owning. Does he have any idea when any more might be coming in?

I'm still sorry for the news but am holding out hope for a brighter tomorrow~

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Crossing my fingers for you that you'll find an equally perfect AVR. So sorry this happened!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1349815736|3282367 said:

Yes, I checked and there hasn't been a change. He said some of the new J's are beautiful. I am just hesitant to even consider a J when I was hesitant about I color already. Plus the I stone faced up larger because it wasn't as deep. So it is not likely that any of the new stones will be possible for me. I am sorta stuck at the moment!

DS,
You selflessly assist so many people on this site; it seems all wrong that the diamond you want is not available! That being the case, I'll speak for myself when I have been in the same situation. I tend to want the diamond (or whatever the object is) even more when I realize the diamond is no longer available. Somehow, I put the unavailable stone on a "pedestal" of sorts, and tell myself that there won't be one as good, and certainly not at that price...I fixate on what I can't have to put it simply. However, I cannot think of one case where something better hasn't come along, or a better situation. It is not easy for me to wait. I want control.

Speaking from personal experience again, I know merchants/vendors want to sell. Another I color or better with an incredible cut can be found. . . . don't psyche yourself out. It would benefit the vendor and make you very happy if he can find a diamond that meets all of your specifications. Stay firm regarding what you want including price; I have compromised before and was sorry.

Hang In There! :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MGR...He doesn't get them in very often. I didn't ask because I know it will be a long time. He wants me to see the 1.9 J. The one thing that it has that the 1.8 I didn't is a smaller table which I think I would prefer. Looking at the stones at least helps me develop preferences, so I may look at that one.

Derbygal...thank you!

Classy...Oh, I think you are SO right! It does become more desirable when I can't have it! :lol: I wasn't 100% sure, so maybe that is for the best. The complicated thing about this situation is that I know of no other source for these diamonds. If it was a regular round, I could find another one at countless places. But hear you on not compromising. I have made mistakes like that before, too.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ClassyRocks|1349819609|3282397 said:

DS,
You selflessly assist so many people on this site; it seems all wrong that the diamond you want is not available! That being the case, I'll speak for myself when I have been in the same situation. I tend to want the diamond (or whatever the object is) even more when I realize the diamond is no longer available. Somehow, I put the unavailable stone on a "pedestal" of sorts, and tell myself that there won't be one as good, and certainly not at that price...I fixate on what I can't have to put it simply. However, I cannot think of one case where something better hasn't come along, or a better situation. It is not easy for me to wait. I want control.

Speaking from personal experience again, I know merchants/vendors want to sell. Another I color or better with an incredible cut can be found. . . . don't psyche yourself out. It would benefit the vendor and make you very happy if he can find a diamond that meets all of your specifications. Stay firm regarding what you want including price; I have compromised before and was sorry.

You are right, Classy - we somehow seem to fixate on 'the one that got away'. However, there is always something else out there and compromising is not the answer. It's too much money and too much heartache if it turns out to not be what you wanted. Sometimes, just sometimes, this sort of situation makes you change course completely and end up with something that makes you happiest of all. I'm hoping this is exactly what happens for DS!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Well, I have found that one cannot have it all when it comes to diamonds :lol: The trick seems to be identifying the most important characteristic(s) one desires and achieving that, then somehow other "comprimises" fade a little. For me it was size (big) and price (low). Once those boxes were ticked then color and clarity did not matter much. When those neccesary characteristics were not met, then color and clarity mattered a lot and I was very OCD about my diamonds.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

You are correct, modern rounds are so much easier to find. I have missed out on things because I am tend to ask a lot of questions too. I have kicked myself for doing that, only later to discover there was a good reason the merchant sold to the other person. I am not saying that is the case in this situation though. Would it be possible to ask Jon if you may have "first refusal" for the next AVR that is an I or better with a nice spread? I think Jon would love to have a client like you, and he will work hard to make it all happen!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

MissGotRocks|1349820539|3282404 said:
ClassyRocks|1349819609|3282397 said:

DS,

You are right, Classy - we somehow seem to fixate on 'the one that got away'. However, there is always something else out there and compromising is not the answer. It's too much money and too much heartache if it turns out to not be what you wanted. Sometimes, just sometimes, this sort of situation makes you change course completely and end up with something that makes you happiest of all. I'm hoping this is exactly what happens for DS!

You are so good with words! Love the above attitude! :wink2:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D|1349820949|3282407 said:
Well, I have found that one cannot have it all when it comes to diamonds :lol: The trick seems to be identifying the most important characteristic(s) one desires and achieving that, then somehow other "comprimises" fade a little. For me it was size (big) and price (low). Once those boxes were ticked then color and clarity did not matter much. When those neccesary characteristics were not met, then color and clarity mattered a lot and I was very OCD about my diamonds.

Yes, you are right that a stone does not exist that is exactly what I want in every respect! I could wait a looong time for that! So I will have to compromise on something. Prioritizing the specs isn't the easiest thing. But now that I think about it, there were two doubts I had about that stone, and that probably is why I couldn't feel sure. If I could get to a stone that only lacked one characteristic, perhaps that would be better. I do think there are stones that I might like with a lower color. Obviously I can't expect low price to be a factor, but I do have limits. Otherwise I'd be looking at the 2.1 I VS1. :naughty: I know that would strike people here as extremely funny coming from me! :lol:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1349822270|3282420 said:

Yes, you are right that a stone does not exist that is exactly what I want in every respect! I could wait a looong time for that! So I will have to compromise on something. Prioritizing the specs isn't the easiest thing. But now that I think about it, there were two doubts I had about that stone, and that probably is why I couldn't feel sure. If I could get to a stone that only lacked one characteristic, perhaps that would be better. I do think there are stones that I might like with a lower color. Obviously I can't expect low price to be a factor, but I do have limits. Otherwise I'd be looking at the 2.1 I VS1. :naughty: I know that would strike people here as extremely funny coming from me! :lol:

Might be ironic as you were so conservative with size in choosing your first stone here but we'd cheer you on and you might be a very happy girl!! :naughty:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ClassyRocks|1349821098|3282409 said:
You are correct, modern rounds are so much easier to find. I have missed out on things because I am tend to ask a lot of questions too. I have kicked myself for doing that, only later to discover there was a good reason the merchant sold to the other person. I am not saying that is the case in this situation though. Would it be possible to ask Jon if you may have "first refusal" for the next AVR that is an I or better with a nice spread? I think Jon would love to have a client like you, and he will work hard to make it all happen!

Classy, I had first refusal on this group of stones that just came in, as a matter of fact. But it could be another year or more before he orders more stones in this size, and even then, it may be exactly like this time where nothing in my range of specs comes in. But I may look at one of the J's just to see if I can tolerate the color in an antique style stone. I was just comparing the other stone to my very white G round brilliant with fluorescence and that was probably a mistake. Jon is a dear and has worked with me for 6 years. I've bought two rb's from him in that time and sold one. I can only say good things about how he does business. This situation was my own fault for not putting the other diamond on hold.

Until I recently changed my tagline below my posts, it said, "When in doubt, don't." I still have to remind myself of that!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MissGotRocks|1349822752|3282425 said:

Might be ironic as you were so conservative with size in choosing your first stone here but we'd cheer you on and you might be a very happy girl!! :naughty:

Hahaha! I just have to love the stone enough to absolutely not care what anyone thinks but ME! I think the OEC style stones are less flashy than rb's...at least that is what I am telling myself! :lol: But I might have to trade in something else to get a stone that size!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

Gosh, I not only stick one foot in my mouth, but jump in with both! :rolleyes: I should not comment when I don't know the history of
client/ merchant relationships! My apologies!

I just read where you might be considering an I, VS1? That stone sounds like it has potential. I surprised myself and actually liked some Lazare J colored round stones; they face up very white. I realize that you are looking for a different cut, but one of the J's may be a winner.

I try to remind myself of that quote too! It has served me well.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1349822927|3282429 said:

Hahaha! I just have to love the stone enough to absolutely not care what anyone thinks but ME! I think the OEC style stones are less flashy than rb's...at least that is what I am telling myself! :lol: But I might have to trade in something else to get a stone that size!

We've lived a lot of life DS - surely we deserve to please ourselves with a few things! Others opinions are important in some areas - how we treat other people, how we conduct ourselves - that sort of thing. Having a beautiful (large if you will) diamond that you and hubby worked and paid for to enjoy is not one of those things IMO to worry about in terms of others opinions. They will always have opinions regardless of what you do. Just smile and tell them how much you've enjoyed having it - it's my standard line and folks just can't come up with a bad word against it!

If you want it and can do it, get it! No one in their final days ever says they wish they would have saved more of their money, taken fewer vacations, or had less treats. Right??

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

MissGotRocks|1349823576|3282439 said:
diamondseeker2006|1349822927|3282429 said:

We've lived a lot of life DS - surely we deserve to please ourselves with a few things! Others opinions are important in some areas - how we treat other people, how we conduct ourselves - that sort of thing. Having a beautiful (large if you will) diamond that you and hubby worked and paid for to enjoy is not one of those things IMO to worry about in terms of others opinions. They will always have opinions regardless of what you do. Just smile and tell them how much you've enjoyed having it - it's my standard line and folks just can't come up with a bad word against it!

If you want it and can do it, get it! No one in their final days ever says they wish they would have saved more of their money, taken fewer vacations, or had less treats. Right??

This! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ClassyRocks|1349823469|3282437 said:
Gosh, I not only stick one foot in my mouth, but jump in with both! :rolleyes: I should not comment when I don't know the history of
client/ merchant relationships! My apologies!

I just read where you might be considering an I, VS1? That stone sounds like it has potential. I surprised myself and actually liked some Lazare J colored round stones; they face up very white. I realize that you are looking for a different cut, but one of the J's may be a winner.

I try to remind myself of that quote too! It has served me well.

No, you didn't say a thing wrong!!!! You were just perceptive enough to think of the exact scenario we had! :lol: He knew I wanted an AVR, he had some coming in, and I asked if there was a waiting list and he said at that point no, so I had first pick of the new stones!

I am trying to adjust my thinking to be able to take an I or J since they are ideal cut and antique style cuts. I think maybe I can handle a little warmth in that circumstance, but I won't know until I see the potential stone(s). He wants me to see one so I think I will do that.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I definitely have not deprived myself of jewelry the last couple of years, that is for sure! I really do agree, though! My husband absolutely would be fine with me having any diamond I wanted. He would buy a larger one that I would, in fact. My thought process was that I could have two diamond rings if they stay under 2 cts. each, but if I go over 2 cts., I can only justify one in my own mind. But even if I opt for Jon to cut me a higher color, more expensive AVR, I do think it is important to get ONE great ring, just as you have said before. I really do not need two e-rings. My recent experiments of sending for the AVR and AVC's confirmed that I love both, but I want the round for an e-ring and I can get a cushion later if I am able.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1349828207|3282485 said:

I definitely have not deprived myself of jewelry the last couple of years, that is for sure! I really do agree, though! My husband absolutely would be fine with me having any diamond I wanted. He would buy a larger one that I would, in fact. My thought process was that I could have two diamond rings if they stay under 2 cts. each, but if I go over 2 cts., I can only justify one in my own mind. But even if I opt for Jon to cut me a higher color, more expensive AVR, I do think it is important to get ONE great ring, just as you have said before. I really do not need two e-rings. My recent experiments of sending for the AVR and AVC's confirmed that I love both, but I want the round for an e-ring and I can get a cushion later if I am able.

Sounds like a plan! Won't Jon consign your MRB for you? Then you could combine the funds from both and get the stone of your dreams! I really am a one ering girl but I know that's not the case for everyone. I'd rather have that one great ering stone - you can always have other right hand rings!

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock

Hey Girl...
I'm coming in late to the party... (And I hate to miss a party!!) But I just wanted to add my 2 cents... (which is probably all it's worth! LOL)

When I was shopping for my AVC the first one I wanted was bought quickly and I missed it. I think it was an H color. I was trying to get as close to 2ct. as possible, and keep within a certain price range... HARD to do with an AVC!!

The next closest stones were an L and a J (the J was over the price range). As you know, I bought the L and the color was too yellow for me. My DH agreed right away, and so he was willing to spend the extra for the J because, as you are well aware, there wasn't going to be a new "batch" in that size/price range for quite some time. So we bought the J, and it turned out to be just right.

You've seen my pictures. Sometimes you can see the stone's "warmth", it really depends on the lighting, the background and the angle. MOST of the time it looks very white. But... alas... I have never owned a large, higher colored diamond so I have nothing to compare it to.

I really like the look of the J in this cut, and in this style of ring. To ME it adds to the "vintage" feel and it adds a little depth.
You might want to TRY the J (or is it an I, I cant remember... :oops: ) and see what you think. You won't know until you get it in your hot little hands!!

When in doubt... Look at my ring again. :appl: :lol: :love:

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock

Oh Sister...
Do you have this option?? Could you really "commission" one to be cut for you?? I would say... to heck with having 2 rings, get the AVR stunner of your dreams!!! :love:
Of course, we all know that for ME, the blingier the better! And not everyone feels the same way. How is this possible??? :confused:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dougsgirl|1349828563|3282493 said:
Hey Girl...
I'm coming in late to the party... (And I hate to miss a party!!) But I just wanted to add my 2 cents... (which is probably all it's worth! LOL)

When I was shopping for my AVC the first one I wanted was bought quickly and I missed it. I think it was an H color. I was trying to get as close to 2ct. as possible, and keep within a certain price range... HARD to do with an AVC!!

The next closest stones were an L and a J (the J was over the price range). As you know, I bought the L and the color was too yellow for me. My DH agreed right away, and so he was willing to spend the extra for the J because, as you are well aware, there wasn't going to be a new "batch" in that size/price range for quite some time. So we bought the J, and it turned out to be just right.

You've seen my pictures. Sometimes you can see the stone's "warmth", it really depends on the lighting, the background and the angle. MOST of the time it looks very white. But... alas... I have never owned a large, higher colored diamond so I have nothing to compare it to.

I really like the look of the J in this cut, and in this style of ring. To ME it adds to the "vintage" feel and it adds a little depth.
You might want to TRY the J (or is it an I, I cant remember... :oops: ) and see what you think. You won't know until you get it in your hot little hands!!

You are most certainly invited to my party! :appl: I am glad you refreshed my memory about your diamond search. It sounds like you had to experiment to find the right color, too! I recently ordered two AVC's and did feel I could handle lower color in those since they just have those gorgeous large facets! I think J color would be perfect for me, too, in an AVC!!! It remains to be seen if I can deal with it in an AVR, but I know I'd just have to have the setting cover the sides some if I did get an I or J. Your setting is perfect and I think a halo looks so beautiful on an AVC! :love: I do hope someday I can work on one of those, too!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dougsgirl|1349828885|3282500 said:

Oh Sister...
Do you have this option?? Could you really "commission" one to be cut for you?? I would say... to heck with having 2 rings, get the AVR stunner of your dreams!!! :love:
Of course, we all know that for ME, the blingier the better! And not everyone feels the same way. How is this possible??? :confused:

Yes, that is an option if he doesn't have the right stone. I do need to try to stay just under 2 carats and that would be the interesting part because the recut of an existing stone would mean he'd have to buy a stone larger than 2 carats to cut below 2 carats and that may or may not make financial sense. Apparently the color of rough cannot be predicted with 100% accuracy because the stones he was expecting were estimated to be H-J color and they all graded J! I do need to buy a diamond as if it is the only one I'll have, but I'll always have the AVC in the back of my mind! :bigsmile: (I can either make a three stone ring with the rb I have now or I can sell it and get an AVC. But one project at a time!)

chicam

Shiny_Rock

I've been where you are now. I loved a stone so much, it had sat in the inventory for so long, so I took my time saving money for it. As soon as I did and went back to finally purchase it, it was gone. It was heartbreaking, but something equally nice came along down the road. Hang in there. You will find something better. You didn't like the color anyway. You alluded to a second thing you didn't like about it too. What was that again?
Things happen for a reason. A better one is on its way. You'll come back and show a beautiful diamond soon.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chicam|1349830037|3282515 said:
I've been where you are now. I loved a stone so much, it had sat in the inventory for so long, so I took my time saving money for it. As soon as I did and went back to finally purchase it, it was gone. It was heartbreaking, but something equally nice came along down the road. Hang in there. You will find something better. You didn't like the color anyway. You alluded to a second thing you didn't like about it too. What was that again?
Things happen for a reason. A better one is on its way. You'll come back and show a beautiful diamond soon.

Awww, I am so sorry that happened to you! I am glad you found another one, though!

It wasn't that I didn't like it, but it had a 53% table which is on the larger side for that style diamond. I would have liked a little smaller so it would have larger crown. But like I said, I won't get every feature I want even if I have one cut. So I just have to find one I love overall! Thank you for your encouragement!

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

Hey Girl...

You crack me up! You have the funniest posts! :lol:

I think this is great advice too . . . aside from making me smile as I read through it!

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock

ClassyRocks|1349832806|3282546 said:
Hey Girl...

You crack me up! You have the funniest posts! :lol:

I think this is great advice too . . . aside from making me smile as I read through it!
Awwww... Thanks, Classy!! But obviously I don't have much of a life right now because I'm spending WAY too much time on here!! (Plus my hawt DH left for Minneapolis today... So I think I'm going to enjoy my wine, and either stay here on PS a while longer... Or try to get my 16 year old to watch Avengers with me.) LOL
And... try to convince DS to buy a huge, sparkly AVR!!!
(Oh, and try to convince YOU to get that amazing vintage setting... Just sayin... ;-) )

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock

Ha Ha! Pricescope is a slippery slope. I love searching and reading, but I don't get anything done! Ughhh!

I think DS is going to find something wonderful and big! It's OK to go big. When people ask me the size of one of my rings, I just kindly reply "X Large"!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

I've been following your quest (aka living vicariously!). For what it's worth (zip, zilch, nada!), I vote for getting the biggest AVR you can swing in J color and set it in the gorgeous VC setting. I've been doing a good deal of reading older threads to learn more about the "wonderful world of sparkles" and I have probably seen dozens of posts from you over the years raving about that VC setting! I think it would look stunning with a big stone. And I think in an antique style setting like that a little warmth is completely beautiful and natural. I also love your classic Tiffany style Vatche but it seems to me that it looks its best with a near colorless stone.

I'm positive that whatever you select will be perfection! You have such beautiful taste!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ClassyRocks|1349833732|3282554 said:
Ha Ha! Pricescope is a slippery slope. I love searching and reading, but I don't get anything done! Ughhh!

I think DS is going to find something wonderful and big! It's OK to go big. When people ask me the size of one of my rings, I just kindly reply "X Large"!

Oh how I wish my PS friends all lived in my town! :bigsmile: I love the "X-large" reply! That is a good one!

Yes, I do spend too much time on here. I don't really watch TV so that is the best excuse I can think of! It's cheap entertainment other than it gives me lots of ideas which involve spending money!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results