shape
carat
color
clarity

I am a crazy person...but a HAPPY one!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock

Well, I was going to wait to post this until I had more info, but I am just too excited!!! First, let me give you a quick background...(sorry this is long!)

I fell in love with historical costume and fashion when I was in 8th grade. In high school, my wardrobe contained a large quantity of vintage (easier to fit in back then

3.gif
). In college, I got involved in designing and building costumes for theatre. I worked summer stock and spent some time in grad school, before I realized that I didn''t want the *lifestyle* of a costume designer. But my love of vintage has never gone away. I collect vintage fabrics and patterns, and if I could afford it, I would collect antique pieces.

I have always known that finding a wedding dress was going to be a challenge, becuase I am very specific in my style and preferences. My MOH and I spent the whole day and went to 4 of the best bridal salons in Manhattan on Saturday. I found dresses I really liked, but none that made me feel like it was the ONE. I just felt like none of them were ME. I was really down and my MOH was getting frustrated with me, but she had to go back to Florida on Sunday. I don''t have any of my friends or family up here and I wasn''t looking forward to going shopping my myself.

Then, Sunday night, I was searching around for vintage lace veils, when I found the answer to my prayers. It is an antique tape lace dress. It is just an over dress, and the top wouldn''t fit and would have to be reconstructed, but the lace is STUNNING. I looked at it and I could envision my dress. My stomach felt fluttery and I couldn''t even sleep that night. I called my MOH the next morning. Then I started calling around to find out if it was feasible to get this dress made the way I want and how much it will cost.

GREAT NEWS! The designer at my favorite salon in NY says they can make a custom dress, incorporating the lace from this dress. And another woman here in NJ says that she can do it as well. The only bad news is that the NY salon dress will be about $1000 over budget. I haven''t heard from the NJ woman yet. Regardless, I realized that I WILL be able to get my dress made, on way or another, so yesterday afternoon, I purchased the antique dress!

I am just waiting for it to arrive, so I can make sure that the skirt will fit the right way and that the condition is what it is supposed to be. I know that this process will be way more complicated than a normal wedding dress purchase, but I am still so excited! My Mom, who was VERY skeptical when I told her about my plan, emailed me yesterday after I sent her pictures and agreed she had been wrong, because the dress was "perfect" for me!

Without further ado, here are some pics of the antique dress... (this one with black underneath so you can see the lace well)

antique lace dress1.jpg

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s another one, but with an ivory slip underneath, so it looks more like it will look as a wedding dress...

antique lace dress2.jpg

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
the back......LOOOOOVE the little train!
30.gif

antique lace dress3.jpg

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
last one...you can see the detail of the lace...

antique lace dress4.jpg

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
And for anyone who''s interested, here''s a (very quick) sketch of what I hope the final dress will look like in front. In the back, I want it to cover my whole back with little buttons all the way up.

dress sketch2 small.jpg

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
FF- How gorgeous is that dress? I love it, just love it. Too bad you're not in Santa Monica, there is a store that sells ALL vintage wedding dresses, slips, camis, headpieces, shoes, things like that..

It's going to be jaw dropping. Good job!

ETA: RT??? Wheeeere the hell did that come from? I meant FF!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
W....
30.gif
...W!!!!! I love it! Love the sketch, love that sheer lace material...it''s going to be GORGEOUS!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I also wanted to add: Reminds me of my fave book series ever! Anne of Green Gables/Avonlea!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
UN-FREAKIN-BELEIVABLY FABULOUS. I am FOREST green with envy! You "go" you bridal visionary, you!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Amber -- Oooh, that place sounds divine! And if I had *thought* that I was going to go this route, I am sure there are similar places NY ... but this dress just sort of fell into my lap. I would still love to visit some stores like that, though!
31.gif
And as far as Anne of Green Gables goes, you''ve got the time period spot-on. This dress is c.1910.

FG -- Thanks! I think so too -- but I also think you and I have similar taste to begin with -- halos are pretty vintage looking afterall!
2.gif

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Deco! I can''t wait to see pics of you in YOUR dress! I was originally looking into many of the same styles as you.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
OH MY GOD. HOW GORGEOUS IS THAT.. I am seriously sitting here with my mouth kinda open.. its sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo pretty.. I love the lace and I love the style.. kinda similar to my grandmas dress. but with a different lace..

The only thing I''m not sure about is the length of the sleeves.. maybe make them shorter or longer?

sk8rjen

Brilliant_Rock
It''s absolutely positively BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!! I can''t wait to see it finished!!!

jen

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
That looks awesome. Very vintage. I personally like the length of the sleeves for the vintage look.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
What a fantastic find!!!!!! Can''t WAIT to see the finished product!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

kanne

Brilliant_Rock
That is one of the most fabulous wedding dresses ever!!! I love it!!!!!!!!! Maybe you have found your calling...costume design!!!!!
Keep us updated.
36.gif
36.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
wow! it''s such a personal dress! i love that it''ll look like you and only you. so special and personalized. it''s hard to get that with all the cookie cutter dresses out there.

i can''t wait to see the progression of this dress! please keep us posted!

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys! I only hope that it all works out okay. I''ll know more once it gets here.

I think I am actually going to make it sleeveless -- the fabric will probably be needed for the bodice. I do like their current length, but I don''t think I can keep them in their entirety. The bodice is definitely too small as is. If I can keep some for a fluttery cap sleeve, I might.

There is a part of me that cringes at the idea of taking apart this gorgeous antique, but it won''t fit otherwise. Plus, it has already been damamged in that the orginal underdress is gone. I am just going to give it a new life, right?

The benefit of having a new dress made for underneath is that it can have all the support and structure that my figure needs. The original wearer of this dress would have been tightlaced into a steel corset -- I think I''ll pass on that!

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Sk8rjen, I keep keeing your avatar and thinking for a moment that it is Firegoddess! I LOVE your ring. It came out so beautifully!

Jcrow, that was my biggest problem trying on dresses on Saturday. I just wanted something *different*. I think this will fit the bill!

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, I stink at managing to reply to everyone in one post!

Melissa, do you have any pics of your grandma''s dress you could post? I would love to see them!

kanne

Brilliant_Rock
had to put a face on that gal. :)
Where did you find the dress? I am in NY and always love fab vintage stuff.

dress sketch2a.jpg

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
It is STUNNING!! Congratulations. And you''re not crazy, you just know what you like, there is nothing wrong with that.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Lovey -- LOL! My prof in grad school also hated it when I didn''t put faces on my sketches! What can I say -- I s*ck at drawing faces!

I didn''t actually find the dress in NY, but from the web dealer below. Not cheap, but she has gorgeous stuff. If you look around, you will find my dress and see what I mean! lol I am also splurging on this lace trim with birds to mix with the ribbons on my bouqet -- I''ve got a bird theme going so it is perfect!

http://www.vintagetextile.com/
(check out the "treasure hunt" section for fun trims and stuff)

swallow lace trim.jpeg

kanne

Brilliant_Rock
oooh! wow. Great site!!!!!!! I''m in school for textile design and love this sort of stuff.......... must..try..not to...buy...anything!!!! lol!

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Really?! That is awesome! Where are you in school? I have been wanting to go back -- maybe for fashion or jewelry design, etc -- but I don''t want to trek into the city everday (2 hour train ride each way). Plus, after being poor and in theatre for a few years, I have truly learned to love a *real* paycheck.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!! Can''t wait to see how it turns out!!! And I''m so glad you''re doing something so YOU for your wedding! It''s awesome!

GarysBride

Shiny_Rock
OMG I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! it will be gorgeous im invisioning it! WOOOOOOWWWW!!! I love vintage stuff too I plan on wearing my granmas vintage jewels and my moms ballet slippers (i know not really vinatage, well they are like 30 years old but they have alot of meaning were all dancers)

GarysBride

Shiny_Rock
OMG I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! it will be gorgeous im invisioning it! WOOOOOOWWWW!!! I love vintage stuff too I plan on wearing my grandmas vintage jewels and my moms ballet slippers (i know not really vinatage, well they are like 30 years old but they have alot of meaning were all dancers) your going to look beautiful! so classy i loooovvve it!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to add, Fata: I am so envious of your dress to be!! I wish my grandma''s dress held up, my parents never married (damn hippies), so I get nothing good from her side, either!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
wow, love that bird infused ribbon! you have such an eye!

silly question, but are you going to keep the color of the lace as is?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results