shape
carat
color
clarity

I am a crazy person...but a HAPPY one!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/23/2006 2:51:34 PM
Author: GarysBride
OMG I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! it will be gorgeous im invisioning it! WOOOOOOWWWW!!! I love vintage stuff too I plan on wearing my grandmas vintage jewels and my moms ballet slippers (i know not really vinatage, well they are like 30 years old but they have alot of meaning were all dancers) your going to look beautiful! so classy i loooovvve it!

What an AWESOME idea to wear your Mom''s ballet slippers! And I wish my grandma had jewels for me to wear -- but all of her family things were stolen in the 80''s
39.gif
I would have worn her dress, despite the fact that it is less "me," but it fit me when I was 12 and...let''s just say, I''ve gone through some big changes since then.
2.gif

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
stunning!

i love the lace and your particular design so much!!!

it''s perfection!!!!

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Jcrow -- Thanks! I can tell you like birds as well!
2.gif
I just don''t want the wedding to come off as "trendy" since the whole bird thing is so big right now. I''ve always loved birds, darnit!

As for the lace, I don''t have any plans to change it, but we''ll see what it looks like when it gets here. The listing says it is "pristine white," but it looks like the years may have left it slightly discolored. I might have to overdye it in a warmer shade to make it consistent. The good news is, it is cotton, so it should take that easily. I would honestly prefer it to be white, because my ''maids are wearing various navy and white prints (or solid navy). But I could always have it be ivory with white underneath. Anyway, we shall see!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
That''s going to be beautiful! When I first glanced at the picture I wondred if it was from vintagetextile.com. They have great stuff; I was in love with the 1930''s lace gown and couldn''t believe how long it stuck around before someone snatched it up. I considered asking them if I could rent it but it was too big...

Anyway, Congratulations on being your own style bride! It''ll be fabulous!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
YES - It''s awesome! I can totally envision it. It''s going to be beautiful!
Wow - how exciting. It''s definitely going to be one of a kind.
Cool. Can''t wait to see how it turns out.

What''s the word on your wax?

Scintillating...

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I please come to your wedding??? That is a dress that NEEDS to be seen in person. You are going to be a breathtaking bride in that lovely number!! It''s so delicate and airy. And I adore the vintage creamy ivory color. It''s like a dress straight out of that old Chris Reeve/Jane Seymour movie, Somewhere In Time!

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/23/2006 3:23:07 PM
Author: Scintillating
YES - It''s awesome! I can totally envision it. It''s going to be beautiful!

Wow - how exciting. It''s definitely going to be one of a kind.

Cool. Can''t wait to see how it turns out.

What''s the word on your wax?

Scintillating...

Scintillating -- WF was kind enough to do another one for me, where everything lined up like it should! They said they can shave the metal on the halo down more once it is cast, so we''ll see about that. And Lesley wrote me the other day that it might be ready at the end of the week!
23.gif
I''m trying not to get my hopes up, but Sunday is my Bday, so getting it for the weekend would be so awesome!

kanne

Brilliant_Rock
...to answer your earlier question.. I am going to school @ FIT in midtown NYC. The classes are amazing and it is inexpensive for NY residents. Two more semesters to go and then I can resume life as an adult (with that regular paycheck - WOOHOO!)

I am so excited to see your gown project unfold.....!
36.gif

GarysBride

Shiny_Rock
ya i was actually going to wear my moms dress too but i went through those big channges too lol im just glad the shoes fit becuase there most important!

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Can I just say how amazing it is to have everyone on here be so supportive and understand why I am doing this?

My mom almost made me cry when I first told her this idea. I mean, why on earth would I want to spend SO much money on an old dress that I am just going to have to have redone anyway? Don''t normal people order a nice, new dress from a store? Why do I care so much about this dress, when I don''t even care what my bridesmaids are wearing? (this because I am letting them pick their own dresses!) etc, etc. True, she has since recanted, but I have a feeling that many other people will have a similar attitude.

It really means a lot to me that you guys *get it* and can be so happy for me -- and you don''t even know me! Thank you for that.

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Exciting news about your ring.
Can't wait to see the finished project.
I hope you have it for your b-day.
(Leon M messed up the shipping and my FI didn't get in time for my bday weekend.
7.gif
But I'm over it : ) )

Scintillating...

*We totally get it Fata! It's going to be a one of a kind masterpiece. How could you not go this road with your cosume design/theater background?
1.gif

My Mom went *nuts* when my SIL said she was wearing green instead of white. Looking back on it - we can laugh, but at the time she was downright mean. Don't let your Mom bug you, do what you want to do.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait to see how this dress turns out!! It''s going to be so beautiful. I love vintage designs too.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
oooooooooooooh that dress looks gorgeous!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE that lace... I think it''s so hard to find good lace. Can''t wait to see the real thing!!!
30.gif
30.gif

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
besutiful! i agree...that fdress needs to be seen in person! i love ilove love the sweet romantic feel of it1 please keep us updated!!!!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Fata: this made me think of you: she''s doing a bird thing, too: http://talk.theknot.com/BOARDS/User/Profile.aspx?UserID=8162

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
That is going to look unbelievable floating down the aisle. People will be speechless.

I can understand your feelings about having a dress that is you. That is why I had my dress made. I didn''t want to do it myself, too important a project. There are so many gorgeous gowns out there, don''t get me wrong, but none really said me. Plus, I got the color I wanted.

The lace is just unreal.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay well. CLEARLY we are going to have to get together in person so I can check this gorgeous dress out. I love the rendering, the lace and the unique fabulous final product!! Great find!
30.gif
30.gif

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy, lol! We definitely should! Did I read somewhere that you are moving? We have to meet at least once before that happens!

Girls, I promise I will take so many pictures you will *feel* like you are seeing it in person. lol. I just hope it gets here SOON!

And I think I am going to go with the NY salon, even though it is very expensive. I absolutely adore the designer there and I know that the execution and quality of the finished dress will exceed my expectations. She told me that one of her embroiderers even specializes in working with antique lace. How perfect is that?! Of course, as a result, I am going to be embarassed to actually tell anyone how much my dress cost.
20.gif

In case you guys are wondering, the salon is Lara Helene in NY. I went there to try on some of their dresses that I saw on brides.com. I really liked one dress, the Alexandra, but it was even more expensive than this project will be, so it was a no go. I also tried on another dress there, the Louisa, but it just wasn''t "it." One really nice thing about this salon -- they build the dress from your measurements and can customize it for you -- I was going to add a lace back and front to the Louisa -- and it is all included in the price. Changes to the original, fittings, alterations...everything. I really like the way they work there!
2.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
b14.jpg

Alexandria!
30.gif
30.gif

I may be moving... but FI wouldn''t be right away. Probably not till the end of the year before he comes out. IF I take the job. They have already told me when I wil start,what I''ll be doing... who I''ll be reporting to and so on... three interviews to date with this company over the last year... not including the telephone interrogations I was subejected to this week. And STILL they haven''t given me salary information. Very frustrating. So I''m not sure how that''s going to go.

I''d love to meet with you before I go! Althoug, truthfully, it all depends on Duncan''s biopsy results. I called UC Davis and I can be out there, and have him in surgery in about a week. So... I may be leaving sooner than expected.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy, I am so sorry to hear about Duncan. I just read your other thread...fingers crossed for you guys. You have to do what you have to do, and I know if it was one of my dogs, I wouldn''t hesitate either. ((((((BIG HUGS)))))).

As for the Alexandria -- I know...that was my original dream dress. I have been drooling over it for months. But it is *gulp* $7200. I am spending a lot on my dress, but I just can''t stretch that far.
38.gif
To be honest, I think the Loiusa actually looked better on me anyway, but I was still sad at the time.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's a lot for a gown. It's a beautul gown... but. Well. $7200 is a beautiful chunk of change too. Your design mimics some of the lines of the Alexandria however... so I think it's going to be very classic and stunning. Plus if you have the same person make it as did these gowns... you'll get a great quality gown with period textiles and a more manageable price tag. I think you're making the right decision. I really do!

I can't wait to see it done! And possibly... in person!

ETA: Thank you for the hugs honey. And the support.
4.gif

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
This is so cool, I just have to share! I just checked the website for my wedding venue and they have a cool virtual tour now! Here''s the link if you are bored and feel like checking it out! I love that now I can *see* the space whenever I want, since I live so far away!

Weather permitting, we are having the ceremony in the courtyard. If it is raining, we will use the Lodge room.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
OM
23.gif

tell me you aren''t having it there? oh my!! beautimus!

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Well, if the right one came up -- Deepark -- then, yes...
4.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love that lace, it's stunning! i can't tell if you are going to have sleeves or not on your drawing, or if you have thought of this (not that i want to change your idea or anything) but it just struck me that the lace would be really lovely for the bottom half of the dress as an overskirt and then the top could be simple satin strapless or something like that totally plain...does that make sense? with a wide champagne sash separating the two and maybe incorporating part of the lace into a small veil? ooooh. i wanna be a dress designer. anyhow just an idea, i am sure however you will do it will be fabulous!! please keep us posted.

eta i see what gypsy posted ,the alexandria dress, and if its going to be similar, wooowwwee!!! i love the idea.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amber, do you mean a store called Fashion Therapy? I only know that one now in SM though I am sure there are tons!

Fata, that dress is just too stunning. It looks Victorian or turn of the century to me, not that I''m any expert on vintage clothes styles. I am not minimizing that it might run you a lot, but it is YOU and you LOVE it. I think it is so special and great, and I would rather eat ramen for a few days (you know what I mean, no lattes for a couple weeks, etc, think about ways to save if you are concerned about the difference) and just know I was in the dress that I was meant to be in. Where and when is the wedding? Anyway, I just love that dress and think it will be stunning when you modify it...congrats!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
OMG I love it! I can''t wait to see the finished product!!!

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Mara -- I really want something that covers my whole back, so hopefullywe can shift things around and make that happen. And then sleeveless. I do want a similar line to the Alexandra dress.

Diamondfan -- You are absolutely correct! It is most definitely Edwardian, and is supposed to be c.1910. And I have decided that if it means going back to work part time at the Gap, I am gettting this dress made right! lol And we are getting married at the Deerpark Restaurant on the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC (what a mouthful!
20.gif
). If you look up a couple posts, I put up a link to the new virtual tour for my venue.

Robbie and SDL -- Thanks! I am so happy that I can share this. I am DYING to tell my FI about it, but of course I can''t!

kucinta

Rough_Rock
That dress is amazing!!
36.gif
The lace is so beautiful, and in such great condition for a dress c1910!! I think the price was very reasonable for the quality and condition of the dress. The train is perfect, it''s so elegant, and I think it would look wonderful with tiny buttons going up the back.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
wow. that is lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results