shape
carat
color
clarity

Humour

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Different things tickle my funny bone. I love David Sedaris and Monty Python in equal measure. I laughed myself witless at The Princess Bride. A lot of conventional humor does very little for me. I would like to recommend James Lileks and I'm posting a link to his Gallery of Regrettable Food...
http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/

Enjoy!

ETA: His homepage...
http://www.lileks.com/

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Oh, the potty mouth. I have a pretty nasty case of potty mouth. I love finding creative new ways to use dirty words, lol. I actually had somebody ask me about why I swear so much, saying since I was an English major I ought to have a larger selection of words to pull from. I told the woman that, as an English major, I always pick the strongest image available to me. I think it shocks people because I seem like a very clean-cut, sweet girl and then the potty mouth comes out.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/6/2008 1:58:12 AM
Author: surfgirl
I have a very, very dry, sarcastic, dare I say snarky wit (I realize this might be shocking to you all, so please do sit down and catch your breath..). And if allowed by a forum, or in real life, I usually err on the side of abundance in my use of profanity. Yes, surfgirl is a potty mouth, so suck it. If you have kids, trust me, you dont want them around me. They''ll come home with very colorful new adjectives to share with you, much like little sailors. I take pride in creating new and witty uses for my favorite words and in fact, someone recently taught me a new and fabulous usage for my most favorite word but alas, I cannot share it with you here.

Humor-wise, I love Lewis Black, Chris Black (apparently, anyone with the surname Black), Eddie Izzard and Todd Barry (just thinking of Todd Barry''s voice just made me laugh). I enjoy Kathy Griffin though I didn''t enjoy seeing her live as much as I enjoy her TV show. David Sedaris also cracks me right up. Oh, and Miranda, you can come over and watch South Park marathons anytime.
Snarky? Sarcastic? You don''t say!
28.gif

OK, so let''s get together for a South Park fest! Have you seen the Tourette''s episode. OMG, LOL, LOL! It is my favorite. I learned some of my favorite sayings from it! If you haven''t seen it find it on youtube! Do you ever watch Chelsea Handler - stand up, not the talk show? I think she''s on E. She used to be funnier. Now it''s just a bit over the top for shock value.

I do my fair share of cussing, too! I can proudly say that it is completely in check when my kids are around, though. As soon as they are gone I impress my DH with all of the words I''ve cooked up!
36.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Miranda, that Tourette''s episode is over the top funny. I forgot about that...as if they needed a reason for Cartman to swear even more...And yes, Chelsea Handler used to be hysterical. Now she panders to the camera too much on her show, though she''s still funny, just not hilarious funny.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/6/2008 2:20:49 PM
Author: surfgirl
Miranda, that Tourette''s episode is over the top funny. I forgot about that...as if they needed a reason for Cartman to swear even more...And yes, Chelsea Handler used to be hysterical. Now she panders to the camera too much on her show, though she''s still funny, just not hilarious funny.
I''m so glad you''ve seen it! I just recommended it to my BIL yesterday much to my sister''s dismay as she tries desperately hard to be proper. Of course, that only encourages me! It is a shame that funny Chelsea''s show is just about publicity now.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the girls here taught me all those dirty english words and nasty stuff.i was so innocent.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I''m another who swears rather more than I should, although I do think good old anglo-saxon words need a good airing once in a while.

I''m very fond of satire - I love Private Eye (not sure if you get that in the US). FI and I write a satirical political blog that has won quite a few awards - it''s been interesting as we can''t pick the awards up ourselves as no-one knows who writes it and I would definitely lose my job if it ever came out.

I have a few problems with sarcasm - being rather Aspergic means that I tend to take things literally and don''t always get the joke... FI has way too much fun playing me on that.
29.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/6/2008 2:39:19 AM
Author: diamondfan
I tend to drop the f bomb a bit, I have to watch it around my kids, though they learned the worst stuff from summer camp. I can be very lady like and dainty and then out comes a curse word and it is funny how that makes people do a double take sometimes. I do not like that it happens so easily but there you go...
Dfan
that would shock me
954900aklo76s52q.gif
if i hear that word coming out of your mouth. a high class lady like you?
paddle.gif
whom is living the life style of the rich and famous. Nahhh...i don''t believe it.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I can be very sarcastic, I love to make quick, witty comebacks to statements people make, that is usually what gets to most laughs out of my friends.

Sometimes I am mis-understood and my humor gets me into trouble
face7.gif
. If I am with people I do not know, I can be kind of dull because I don''t know if I will offend or not, so I tend to keep my mouth shut.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Forgot to say...I think probably the single funniest show on TV now is The Soup. I''ll watch actual crap TV, just to see what they say about it on The Soup. That show consistently cracks me up...

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
My own humor tends to be sarcastic and dry, and I''m often self-deprecating which is a defense mechanism left over from high school. Also, definitely off color, and since I''m a sailor I feel entitled to swear like one (only in appropriate company, of course
12.gif
). My new favorite wacko insult is a**panda. No, I have no idea where that one comes from either.

The type of humor I enjoy watching or reading is wide-ranging. Smart, subtle, subversive, dark, twisted, and off-kilter are things that come to mind. I think Monty Python was a shock to my system when I first saw it at my friend''s house in 5th grade, and the repercussions have been long lasting. I love parody and satire, as long as it''s not too blunt. I like shows and movies that base their humor in taking people''s quirks and human interaction to the extreme (The Office [both versions], Big Bang Theory, Extras, My Name is Earl). I like dramas like Six Feet Under, Dexter, and The Riches, that mix pathos with really bleak humor. Comedy poking fun at real-life absurdities (like the James Lileks site, thanks Risingsun!) is also a blast. The Onion, McSweeneys, and Television Without Pity are my favorite websites.

I don''t really like physical comedy (i.e. Charlie Chaplin, Three Stooges, etc.). I also don''t like mean humor, like stand-ups who pick a target in the audience and then proceed to rag on them throughout the show.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
I rely HEAVILY on my sense of humor... in both work and personal life. It's a defense mechanism, but also protective in a healthy way. I learned long ago that being able to laugh at myself and find the humor in everything, gives me the clearest perspective on life... and after years of depression, perspective is SO important to me in keeping a balanced mind.

As for style, I was raised by a kind, genuine, good-natured dad and a quick-witted, clever, sarcastic mother... but I'm definitely more like my mom. DH likes to say I'm the first genuinely funny girl he ever knew, and my mom is the second.
28.gif
I can cross the line and be nasty though, when I get impatient with people... not my best quality.

I HATE traditional "jokes"... the "did you hear about the guy who walked into a bar?" kind. I don't understand what's funny about something that obvious, that's been told a thousand times before... and I am NOT good at fake laughing. I usually just smile awkwardly and hope somebody else laughs instead. I think the best humor requires wit and keen observation and perfect timing and subtlety. One offhand, expertly-placed comment can have me laughing to myself for days.

Movies like Van Wilder, Superbad and Knocked Up CRACK ME UP... I can watch them over and over. 30 Rock is the funniest TV show out there... Tina Fey is hands-down my humor idol. Put her and Amy Poehler together, and I'm in heaven.
9.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
No idea how much it translates online (or how egotistical I'm about to sound talking about it like this--?!), but my friends and family think I've got a fairly quick, oftentimes off-the-wall (and sometimes rather naughty) wit. I like to make connections between things that aren't obviously connected, so oftentimes I'll make jokes that only one or two people will get right away (usually my best guy friends or my boyfriend, who all have the same sort of sense of humour I do), and then a while later (or sometimes never) other people will go, "....OH! I just got why you said blahdeeblah! Haha, that's so funny!"
37.gif

Sometimes it's kind of awkward when I'm meeting new people though, because they just stare at me like I've spoken some alien language at them and then give me the hairy eyeball all night.
32.gif
But the absolute best is when I meet someone with my kind of humour and we bounce off each other like a great tennis match! I *love* that! Makes me bond with someone faster than plain ol' common interests.
5.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire, you can bet your bleeping arse I do it!!!!

that is what makes it so funny. I grew up thinking that it was more creative to find alternate words, after all, anyone and their uncle can say the f word etc, but lately in my old age I find a well placed curse word or two feels quite nice. When I heard my then 5 year old say, "Now where did I leave my G*ddamned toy?" I did have SOME pause...

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Ahhhh! Surfgirl - I LOVE the Soup! It is so funny. Even my DH, who hates ANYTHING to do with celebs, thinks the show is a riot!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sarcastic. I am easily amused and amused by almost everything, but I cannot stand stuff like "White Chicks", racial humor, or stupid potty humor that amuses BF's 13 year old nephew. And there are other things like Sarah Silverman's attack on Britney and her kids after her appearance on MTVs music video awards that just P me off. I enjoy Southpark and Family Guy but can't stand the Simpson's-although it's funny sometimes. I don't like Jack Black, but I love Adam Sandler (most of it anyway).

I do enjoy some satire, and facetious tongue in cheek. And Monty Python rocks my socks.

I have to have snappy comebacks to ever be around BF's dad-he'll say something completely inappropriate and always needs to be put in his place.

But I have my mind in the gutter 95% of the time. And like surfgirl, I also "usually err on the side of abundance in my use of profanity."

I greatly enjoyed George Carlin. He just said it how it was, just in a boisterous manner.

Other shows I enjoy: Coupling (British), Dexter, Friends, Secret Diary of a Call Girl, ER, nip/tuck, Heroes (although not usually funny, Hiro has his moments).

Make me watch something where someone to wears a fat suit and the plethora of profanities I pride myself on will be used in a very effective and blatant manner.

ETA: I LOVE LOVE LOVE "Team America: World Police". Totally inappropriate also rocks my socks.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Monty Python and dry type humor as well.

Enjoyed Team America, the Southpark Movie and things of that ilk, but not all of the time.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
I love a dry sense of humour I hate slap stick and really jokey type humour.
I adore the Office both versions
I love Ricky Gervais his Extras is hilarious and his podcasts and stand up are hysterical
Love Little Britain even though I can be offended by it eg Sebastian and the breast feeding mother and Bitty
6.gif

Used to love the Young Ones
Kath and Kim (look out America you are about to get this with Molly someone and Selma Blair playing the characters don't know if it will translate well.)
A show on Aussie TV which is current affair satire the Chasers War on everything is a hoot and very politically incorrect
Loved Monty Python
Peter Cook and Dudley Moore
Faves French and Saunders
Vicar of Dibly
I guess I *get* English humour as does most Aussies + I am married to a very dry Devon man from the South of England
9.gif
Oh and I laugh out loud at zane cook too
Love Prairie Home Companion years ago oh and of course the Simpsons
36.gif
36.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
My answer about myself is silly. I asked my husband and he said "family oriented and silly, until you take the blue bill [he means the third week of my BC pills] and then you get very sarcastic." This had me laughing outloud (I told you I have a silly sense of humour, but I start the blue pills tomorrow, so watch out).

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
OK I had to follow the other PSers and ask my DH to describe my sense of humor. He paused for .001 seconds, then said confidently, "self-indulgent".
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

I laughed out loud for about 5 straight minutes... I really do find myself pretty darn entertaining.
9.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/6/2008 10:09:14 PM
Author: KimberlyH
My answer about myself is silly. I asked my husband and he said ''family oriented and silly, until you take the blue bill [he means the third week of my BC pills] and then you get very sarcastic.'' This had me laughing outloud (I told you I have a silly sense of humour, but I start the blue pills tomorrow, so watch out).
HAHAHA!!! LMAO!!!! Hubby likes to call that week my "honest" week.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My answer about myself is silly. I asked my husband and he said ''family oriented and silly, until you take the blue bill [he means the third week of my BC pills] and then you get very sarcastic.'' This had me laughing outloud (I told you I have a silly sense of humour, but I start the blue pills tomorrow, so watch out).
wait until hubby takes the "blue pills"
wthisthis.gif

Gemma12

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/6/2008 9:36:58 PM
Author: katebar
I love Ricky Gervais his Extras is hilarious and his podcasts and stand up are hysterical
Love Little Britain even though I can be offended by it eg Sebastian and the breast feeding mother and Bitty
6.gif

Kath and Kim (look out America you are about to get this with Molly someone and Selma Blair playing the characters don''t know if it will translate well.)
A show on Aussie TV which is current affair satire the Chasers War on everything is a hoot and very politically incorrect
Loved Monty Python
Vicar of Dibly
I guess I *get* English humour as does most Aussies + I am married to a very dry Devon man from the South of England
9.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Kate, I think we were twins separated at birth
2.gif
...at least humour wise!!

Have you seen Arrested Development? I lurve it. "The jury''s still out on science". I can''t imagine a US version of Kath and Kim-do you think Selma Blair will admit to being an ''effluent foxy moron''??

So, I have an aridly dry sense of humour-I do find that sometimes people don''t realise I''m joking so I''m sure there are people that I''ve worked with who think the jury is still out on Gemma! Plus it doesn''t translate to the internet well so I have to be careful... There is not a smiley to indicate sarcasm-is there??

On the snappy comeback question-sometimes I''ve comeback with something that I wish later I''d kept to myself-so it can be a double-edged sword. Plus if you dole out the snappy comebacks you have to be willing to laugh when someone does it to you
11.gif
!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/6/2008 10:44:38 PM
Author: Miranda

HAHAHA!!! LMAO!!!! Hubby likes to call that week my ''honest'' week.
I love it. He told me he can describe what''s going to happen as soon as I start taking the blue pills. I asked him for an example and he said he knows it''s Monday of blue pill week when I haven''t made his coffee in the morning.

DH''s sense of humor is clearly very dry, sarcastic, and a bit dark.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 1:12:45 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

wait until hubby takes the ''blue pills''
wthisthis.gif
Ha ha ha, what happens when you take the blue pills, DF?

Not a whole lot affects his moods, he''s such an even keel guy it never ceases to amaze me.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/6/2008 9:36:58 PM
Author: katebar
6.gif

Kath and Kim (look out America you are about to get this with Molly someone and Selma Blair playing the characters don''t know if it will translate well.)
Loved Monty Python
Vicar of Dibly
9.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I like it in small doses. I saw the trailer for the American version and am not sure if it''ll translate well.
Is Aussie TV still screening re-runs of the British "Carry On'' series? Bawdy, but absolutely hilarious.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/6/2008 2:48:17 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
the girls here taught me all those dirty english words and nasty stuff.i was so innocent.

ha ha ha ha, I find that verrrrrrry hard to believe Dancing Fire.
26.gif

Linda

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Linda,
Are you better?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
My brother and I have a great sense of humor. We are quick witted, we take after our dad. Our father was a riot. He could throw out some zingers
9.gif
My mom has a sense of humor too, as did my grandmother.

I have two grandson''s one is 6, the other is 8. The 6 year old is unbelievable. I have never seen a child that is so darn funny. I swear, he should be on a TV sitcom. He is hilarious. I am not just saying that because he is related to me. We all say, he takes after my dad, more than my bro and I do. He is verrrry funny.

linda

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results