shape
carat
color
clarity

Humour

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
The last few days have been somewhat contentious. Let''s lighten up, shall we? Here''s the ''game'' (deem it silly if you will): Describe and illustrate, if you can, your sense of humour.

Mine can be dry, off-colour and sometimes, plain bad.

Have fun!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to try to play as penance for my behavior towards Harriet in another thread. (By showing my cooperation in this thread, you see, I will be helping her thread to succeed.)

My humor is offbeat and frequently gets me into trouble if I let it show at all. It has gotten me into trouble on this forum and on other fora as well. People who are concrete in their thinking are especially prone to misunderstanding me, but it seems that anyone can misunderstand me so the fault is clearly mine :).

Not only do I use irony, saying things that are the opposite of what I mean, but sometimes I just say things that are off the top of my head. Usually they bear some relation to the topic at hand, but often it is tangential.

Since I really do not expect masses of people to understand my brand of humor, I usually just remain silent. I am a very quiet person. When I do make a joke in person, people often cannot believe it and look at me strangely to see if I meant it because I know I am not a laugh a minute and I tend to hold my tongue.

Deborah
34.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Oh this is simple for me - easily-amused yet not quick-witted enough to verbally spar.

Oh, how I envy those people that have snappy comebacks no matter the situation...I always think hours later of what I COULD have said.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
7/5/2008 3:30:26 PM

Author:
MonkeyPie

Oh this is simple for me - easily-amused yet not quick-witted enough to verbally spar.

MonkeyPie, I found your response very interesting. I had not thought about sparring verbally. I do that very well and engage it it quite frequently, but it never occurred to me that that had anything to do with humor. I guess because I take verbal sparring deadly seriously. Even if I use an elegant putdown that makes people laugh in an argument, I do not think of that as humor, but as part of my attack. You have made me think :).

Uh oh...maybe Harriet''s fun thread is going to turn contentious ;-).

Deb
34.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I love a good joke (no ethnic or blue material please)and someone with a quick wit that can lighten the mood when needed.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deb,
For what it's worth, you make me laugh. I suspect that I'm as serious as you are when it comes to verbal sparring, thanks to law school.

Monkeypie,
Ever had that perfect retort come in the middle of the night?!

Madam Bijoux,
Where are you? We're overdue for one of your jokes.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I am a sarcasm machine. I''m often the one in the back of the room with a snarky comment. I have a very irreverent sense of humour, and it''s often very, very dry. I love a good joke, and adore stand up comedy, but satire is really what will have me laughing for hours.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nothing bothers me.
25.gif
i can take anything you guys say .
16.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I have a very dry sense of humor and I can pull off the "I'm making a joke but going to do so in a serious manner" which generally ends in "are you being for real or are you joking?"

I don't find stupid humor funny at all. For example, the movie White Chicks should have never been allowed to go into production. Instead, the proceeds (or rather, the money spent to make the movie) should have been sent off to some poor country somewhere. Along with White Chicks goes Little Man, all of the Scary Movies, and any other potty humor movies
17.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m pretty witty and I''m good with a quick joke or comeback. I love to make and hear witty and/or snarky comments. I enjoy dry humor, too, and I love pretty much everything Ricky Gervais does. I absolutely hate 98% of stand up comedy, but I do love Kathy Griffin and Sarah Silverman.

I also love to tease people, but I have been known to take it too far on occasion and hurt feelings. In my defense, I am very thick skinned and it takes a lot to actually hurt my feelings and I sometimes forget others aren''t that way! I have gotten better about reigning myself in in the last few years, though.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
all sarcasm. all the time.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2008 5:47:17 PM
Author: sna77
all sarcasm. all the time.
Pretty much sums it up for me too!
2.gif

Quick-witted, funny, clever sarcasm gets me every time. I used to think I was good at it, until I hired a girl on my team who has me holding my gut laughing on a daily basis. I was not fun to be around when she was on maternity leave...

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
And then there are my kid jokes....

What goes "Haha...Kerplunk!????"

A man laughing his head off.

[/i]

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Saturday Night Live/Mad TV type humor. I love satire.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire,
Be careful what you wish for!

Miracles Rule,
Ouch! :)

Purrfect Pear,
Have you ever read the vintage Mads? I find them funnier than the current ones.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am silly!!! I laugh often; I can be sarcastic but I have to know people first before I am.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Haha! Wonderful idea Harriet!

Hmmmmm...Since I am a Gemini I have a split personality/sense of humor. When I read this I asked DH what he thought my sense of humor was. He quickly replied, "SICK!" Haha! I have to agree. Think South Park. The full extent of this personality trait (flaw?
9.gif
) is not even know to my parents, sister, or children! I reserve it all for my beloved! Off-color would be a mild way of putting it!
28.gif
The other side is often dry. It can be hard to tell that I am serious. I am frequently sarcastic. Very silly at home and rarely serious! I love all things funny and find humor in everything.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I am the same way Miranda. My humor is very...um...R or every slightly X rated.
32.gif

But I try to be on my best behavior on these boards, so I don''t get kicked off.
3.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
My humor is all over the map.

At times very silly and juvenile, a quick punch line, or basic humor as long as it is not ultra offensive. I love Adam Sandler and Will Farrell movies and things like Wayne's World or other spoof type things, even though it is often a gut level or basic humor. I do not like really offensive stuff or really gross humor though. At other times my sense of what is funny or my own funniness is much more subtle and sophisticated. I like irony and subtext and double entendres, things that make you think and are funny/amusing but not necessarily laugh out loud funny at first.

Sometimes I can be a bit sarcastic and nasty if I feel provoked, but that is rare. I also sometimes have trouble discerning if someone is being REALLY serious or REALLY sarcastic and I do not know if I should laugh or just ignore them. It can be a bit awkward if someone is trying to crank you up and you do not know them well enough to know yes, this is a joke, or oy, can this person really be serious? I usually Uh hum a lot and move on if I am not sure.

I also am very quit witted and tend to have fast comments that take things to a funnier level than originally planned. I can see the humor in things that others cannot, and I often like to laugh at things later on that I did not find funny in the moment. I also can tie things together from other times and places, and have running jokes with my sister and friends about certain things that keep cropping up...or use something that happened and keep it up and current to this day, so as we use it and refer back to the moment, we laugh again.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2008 11:07:26 PM
Author: miraclesrule
I am the same way Miranda. My humor is very...um...R or every slightly X rated.
32.gif

But I try to be on my best behavior on these boards, so I don''t get kicked off.
3.gif
LOL!!!! Me too! I''m a kitten here! Usually, I''m a lion.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kathleen Madigan is a new fave of mine, I listen to Blue Collar and Raw Dog on my satellite radio. I really appreciate the cerebral humor, but love the flat out funny laugh out loud stuff too. Loved Eddie Murphy''s stand up back in the day, and Chris Rock is funny now.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Miranda dear,
I''m an Aries. What type of humour am I supposed to have? As for the off-colour variety, my favourite book is the "Walter" one. ''Nuff said.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Walter the Farting Dog?

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I have a very, very dry, sarcastic, dare I say snarky wit (I realize this might be shocking to you all, so please do sit down and catch your breath..). And if allowed by a forum, or in real life, I usually err on the side of abundance in my use of profanity. Yes, surfgirl is a potty mouth, so suck it. If you have kids, trust me, you dont want them around me. They''ll come home with very colorful new adjectives to share with you, much like little sailors. I take pride in creating new and witty uses for my favorite words and in fact, someone recently taught me a new and fabulous usage for my most favorite word but alas, I cannot share it with you here.

Humor-wise, I love Lewis Black, Chris Black (apparently, anyone with the surname Black), Eddie Izzard and Todd Barry (just thinking of Todd Barry''s voice just made me laugh). I enjoy Kathy Griffin though I didn''t enjoy seeing her live as much as I enjoy her TV show. David Sedaris also cracks me right up. Oh, and Miranda, you can come over and watch South Park marathons anytime.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/6/2008 1:58:12 AM
Author: surfgirl
I have a very, very dry, sarcastic, dare I say snarky wit (I realize this might be shocking to you all, so please do sit down and catch your breath..). And if allowed by a forum, or in real life, I usually err on the side of abundance in my use of profanity. Yes, surfgirl is a potty mouth, so suck it. If you have kids, trust me, you dont want them around me. They''ll come home with very colorful new adjectives to share with you, much like little sailors. I take pride in creating new and witty uses for my favorite words and in fact, someone recently taught me a new and fabulous usage for my most favorite word but alas, I cannot share it with you here.

Humor-wise, I love Lewis Black, Chris Black (apparently, anyone with the surname Black), Eddie Izzard and Todd Barry (just thinking of Todd Barry''s voice just made me laugh). I enjoy Kathy Griffin though I didn''t enjoy seeing her live as much as I enjoy her TV show. David Sedaris also cracks me right up. Oh, and Miranda, you can come over and watch South Park marathons anytime.
Really!?!?!? I am so shocked.. I just never imagined that about you.
2.gif
2.gif
2.gif
lmao...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I tend to drop the f bomb a bit, I have to watch it around my kids, though they learned the worst stuff from summer camp. I can be very lady like and dainty and then out comes a curse word and it is funny how that makes people do a double take sometimes. I do not like that it happens so easily but there you go...

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh, surf and df, total potty mouth here as well! It''s terrible...I bring all my friends down and all of the sudden every other word out of their mouths is the f bomb! It kind of blows people''s minds when they hear me and my twin sister get into an argument. We call each other the nastiest names in the book, but we''re always friends again in a few minutes. But it gets awkward for the occasional bystander!

Also, I LOVE David Sedaris-his books are amazing and I''ve seen him on a lecture tour thing and he was hilarious then, too. His new book is (of course) hilarious, and although I heard a few of the stories when I saw him in person, they were still funny the second time around!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I am very easily amused I laugh to hard, too often and most times too loudly. I very much refuse to take myself to seriously and I think that translates into my easily amused state of mind and I am not easily offended. I love witty, stupid and intelligent humour but am apparently a really bad date for a comedy film as I laugh to much. I can be sarcastic but I try not to often and I do have the occasional potty mouth.

I think that about sums it up :).

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find humor in many things, but it takes a lot to make me really laugh. But when I do get to laughing it can be unstoppable--I'm talking about the kind where you bend over and hold your stomach and wipe away the tears. My best friend and I got kicked out of the law library one time when we were preparing a brief because he got me laughing and we jut could not stop.

I am frequently (the HH says virtually always!) sarcastic, and THE BIGGEST POTTY MOUTH. The admin staff in my office love me beacause they say I am like some sort of corporte dress up doll with my perfectly done hair and my sweater sets and peals, but when I open my mouth it's like I'm channeling a drunken sailor.
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results