shape
carat
color
clarity

How often do you change your perfume... And how do you find a new one?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Miranda, I love a lot of the Jo Malone scents but they do not last on me at all. Boo.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Every six months or so, I seem to stumble across something that suits me ... or, worse yet, obsesses me! I wear No. 5 to teach, but for "fun" scents I alternate between "foodie" scents (all me) and florals (the hubs). Judging by the scents that you already like, you might like L by Lolita Lempicka (spicy vanilla, with a citrus undertone) or Hanae Mori''s Red Butterfly (vanilla, but ... not), or maybe something a little more musky/leathery (Bond No. 9 is great for this: in my experience, so is Penhaligon''s, and if Sephora seems off-putting, try Saks scent department for a great selection). But my own hands-down favorite? Flowerbomb! Mmmm ... it''s rich like Angel, so though it''s much more floral, it might strike your fancy ....

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe, I love Flowerbomb! It is one of my favorites as well as the HM. Angel smells funk on me but Flowerbomb does not.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
* another of my favourite subjects!!!*

Dee the other ladies have given you great advice. I can't commit to a signature scent as I have such a large collection, so it depends on what I am wearing that day. If you like a big scent and like Shalimar and Angel which is vanilla foody/ warm powdery spicy , try Samsara by Guerlain, it is easily obtainable also as one suggestion. When you try it, let it dry down on you before judging it for about 20 mins. I want to try this one Alj likes, Niki de Saint Phalle, but I can't find it yet, but that has great reviews also.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just thought of more you might like Dee - Chanel Allure or Chanel Allure Sensuelle -these are two different perfumes. Also in the Chanels, try Coco and Chance. Also YSL Opium is an oldie but a goodie!

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock
I have also worn Angel for YEARS! I get tons of compliments on it, mostly from strangers. A lady stopped me in a shopping mall one day to ask what I was wearing because she loved it. I think Angel is one of those scents that is different on everyone.

Anyway, I was hesitant to try something new, but I do get tired of Angel. I ended up with Dolce and Gabbana (the original in the bottle with the red lid, not the "Light Blue" that is pretty popular). I love D&G just as much as Angel and I''ve been complimented on it pretty often as well.

I also like some of the Burberry scents, but not as much as D&G. I think you might like it if you are an Angel fan.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/27/2008 11:28:41 PM
Author: Miranda
Have you been in a Jo Malone store? I love it there.
I'm crazy for Jo Malone ... they carry it at Saks & Neimans too, right? I only bought it once or twice myself but have been given different frags for a few Xmases now. They tend toward the citrusy/musk/florals though -- can't think of a choc/vanilla type of scent of hers.

There was a good thread around here on perfumes ... and the Hanae Mori "Butterfly" is mentioned quite a bit. "cookie-ish".

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/28/2008 9:00:32 AM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 8/27/2008 11:28:41 PM
Author: Miranda
Have you been in a Jo Malone store? I love it there.
I'm crazy for Jo Malone ... they carry it at Saks & Neimans too, right? I only bought it once or twice myself but have been given different frags for a few Xmases now. They tend toward the citrusy/musk/florals though -- can't think of a choc/vanilla type of scent of hers.

There was a good thread around here on perfumes ... and the Hanae Mori 'Butterfly' is mentioned quite a bit. 'cookie-ish'.
Good idea Deco, here they are.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/favourite-or-signature-fragrances-2008.89022/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fave-signature-scent-or-scents-2007.66243/

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
I never really cared what I wore as long as I wore something, until I realized that I loved what 2 of my good friends were wearing. Now all I wear is that... Bvlgari Onmia Everytime I''m around any of my Mom''s friends they all ask what it is. I think most of them wear it now. (I use the Cystalline one, but there are others...)

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/27/2008 11:23:05 PM
Author: diamondfan
I have a few that I LOVE.

I tend to do it by season, heavier in the fall and winter and lighter/fruitier/fresher in the spring and summer...

I love perfume and really respond to certain smells. Citrus is one of my favorites.

Im so like you, DF, I totally tend to wear different scents according to season, mood, etc.

If you love citrus-y scents you should try "Orange Blossom" by Jo Malone. I love her stuff. I seem to have the same problem where most perfumes dont stay on me that well, but for some reason her stuff works for me. I love layering the Orange Blossom with her Pomergranate perfume- such a pretty mixture- I wore that on my wedding day. I need to make another trip there soon, I am all out of my Pomegranate, and I would love to pick up a few of her newer scents that just came out....

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooh, Dani, that sounds great. I have a couple of hers, I love pomegranate so much!

I also LOVE Serge Lutens fragrances, he has some amazing ones. Very unusual.

Giada

Shiny_Rock
Dee Jay,

I''ve been an Angel wearer for the past 10 years or so, and it is still in my normal rotation. Some other scents that I like are Narciso Rodriguez for Her (black bottle), Narciso Musc for Her, Jhivago 24K, Bond Nuits de Noho and Laura Mercier L''Huere Magique. You might check those out if you like Angel. They are not just like Angel, but it sounds like I have similar taste.

Nuits de Noho is pretty similar to Angel, but the dry-down is a bit softer, I think.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/28/2008 11:32:16 AM
Author: Giada
Dee Jay,

I''ve been an Angel wearer for the past 10 years or so, and it is still in my normal rotation. Some other scents that I like are Narciso Rodriguez for Her (black bottle), Narciso Musc for Her, Jhivago 24K, Bond Nuits de Noho and Laura Mercier L''Huere Magique. You might check those out if you like Angel. They are not just like Angel, but it sounds like I have similar taste.

Nuits de Noho is pretty similar to Angel, but the dry-down is a bit softer, I think.
Jivago 24k is gorgeous, DiamondFan introduced me to that one!
30.gif
Wearing it now in fact and Hubby adores it.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Unlike most answers, I don''t have a "signature" scent. I have several perfumes that I wear on a frequent basis and a few that are more "special occasion" scents (not necessarily fancy, but not everyday either).

A few favourites:

Lalique and Le beiser by Lalique - both florals, both hard to find
One of the Burberry''s line, I can''t remember the name but it has peach flowers
1.gif

Ypresse
Natura''s Frescor de Maracuja, which is a Brazilian passionflower perfume and absolutely delicious (smells like the flowers, not the fruit!)

There are plenty others in my perfume cabinet. Too many others. In fact, I had to put a moratorium on perfumes...

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha! I realized I hadn''t answered the title question. Sometimes I stay with a scent for *years* ... from high school on there''s been: Poison, Ysatis, regular old Vanilla oil from Body Shop, Tiffany ... then I went through a long Issey Miyake L''eau D''issy period before discovering Jo Malone. Done Jo Malone Grapefruit ... and Tuberose and another one that was too manly so I traded it ... then Hanae Mori Butterfly ... and I just got some Nautica Voyage as a pressie & I kinda like it. It has a harsh note that''s a little Avon-y when you spray it but on the skin it sorta works. Thought it was honeysuckle-ish but turns out that one is Peony & Lime.

Been wanting to try the Bond scents but they''re so pricey! And I always forget when I''m somewhere that sells them. Nowhere to smell nearby. Arg. One day!

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Escada (Signature). Love it.

Definitely recommend getting your hands on various samples to try out for a few days...before you take the plunge. Good luck!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow -- so much great advice!

Dfan, I''m so with you on the J Lo/Britney/Paris scents. Wouldn''t matter to me if they were the greatest smells on earth, I''m not interested.

Miranda, ooh, I forgot about Chanel No. 5! I really like that. I think I''ll get a sample and try it out.

Claudinam, LOL, I''m *afraid* of the scent counters at Macy''s! Maybe I need to approach them with a more open mind (although the mushroom cloud of scent that lingers over the whole area is surely a health hazard!).

Circe, wow, great suggestions! Thank you!

Lorelei, there is another Guerlain scent that I like too, but I can''t think of it right now... And thank you for those other threads!

Dancingqueen, I know--strangers walk right up to me too with Angel on. I''m always think it''s an alterior motive to get a better look at The Brick though!

Deco, OK, I''m confused about this Jo Malone... Is it a BRAND? Because it seems like there are multiple Jo Malone choices, yes?

Crooked, I know what you mean about just wearing "something." I was never truly loyal to a scent until I found Angel.

Dani, that''s interesting about scent not staying with you. Does it make any difference whether you use a spray or out of the bottle?

Giada, thank you for the ideas!

Lady, I think I would wear a Lalique scent just for the bottle!

Bia, I am definitely going to have to try things out for a few days before I commit.

Side note: I''ve been trying the Tiffany samples for a few days now and the HH says I''m confusing the dogs because I don''t smell like their momma any more. Perhaps they think they''ve suddently been adopted by someone else?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I''m ashamed to admit this, but I used to have a scent for every outfit Talk about being a conspicuous consumer!
9.gif
. Now, my usual scent is Miracle, and the backup is Escada Signature. Both are light and fresh; even my dentist (male) asked me for the name of Miracle, as he was going to buy some for his wife.

At first, I thought maybe I''d put a little too much on (you get used to the scent yourself).
20.gif

First ever scent: Chanel No. 5

Next: Pheromone by Marilyn Miglin

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
there are things I love on others or in the bottle but eeuuww bad on me in person.

The original Oscar de la Renta smelled amazing on me til I had kids. I had a new bottle, tried it after I gave birth, thought it was rancid and returned it only to discover it was MY chemistry doing it.

I love all the Bulgari scents

I LOVE summer Opium, less oriental with a hint of citrus and vanilla, limited edition

I love Champs Elysee and Samsara I think they are both Guerlain

Some of the Bond ones are okay, others smell too incensy for me

Flowerbomb is great on me and Angel heinous

I love Armani diamond and their other one. He also makes some with stone tops that I like.

F by Ferragamo is pretty and Burberry Brit is lovely too.

I really love Jhivago 24 it is so wonderful...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee - quick Chanel No 5 tip - try the EDP, it is richer and more long lasting than the EDT. And you are most welcome!

somehowcollide

Brilliant_Rock
Dee, I hope you don''t mind terribly, but I wanted to do a mini thread hi-jack
9.gif

I''ve been wearing W by Banana Republic for the past two years. It''s really the only thing I like. I haven''t been able to find anything that suits me as much. Anyone familiar with the scent that can suggest something similar? I couldn''t tell you the base notes, but it is an extremely fresh scent. I believe it is water based. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!
And Dee, thank you again for letting me take advantage
1237379fdqxrvb3f5.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/29/2008 8:09:32 AM
Author: somehowcollide
Dee, I hope you don't mind terribly, but I wanted to do a mini thread hi-jack
9.gif

I've been wearing W by Banana Republic for the past two years. It's really the only thing I like. I haven't been able to find anything that suits me as much. Anyone familiar with the scent that can suggest something similar? I couldn't tell you the base notes, but it is an extremely fresh scent. I believe it is water based. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!
1237379fdqxrvb3f5.gif
SHC, I am not familiar with that scent, but from what you describe, Eau de Merveilles by Hermes might fit the bill, it is very fresh and also an aquatic based fragrance, see if you can try it.

Dee, that reminds me, another perfume you might like is 24 Faubourg by Hermes.

somehowcollide

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/29/2008 8:13:30 AM
Author: Lorelei

9.gif

I''ve been wearing W by Banana Republic for the past two years. It''s really the only thing I like. I haven''t been able to find anything that suits me as much. Anyone familiar with the scent that can suggest something similar? I couldn''t tell you the base notes, but it is an extremely fresh scent. I believe it is water based. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

1237379fdqxrvb3f5.gif

SHC, I am not familiar with that scent, but from what you describe, Eau de Merveilles by Hermes might fit the bill, it is very fresh and also an aquatic based fragrance, see if you can try it.

Lorelei, you are a DOLL! Diamonds, perfumes, animals you are a renaissance woman! I will definitely look into the Hermes scent. Thank you!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/29/2008 8:21:06 AM

Dee, I hope you don't mind terribly, but I wanted to do a mini thread hi-jack
9.gif

I've been wearing W by Banana Republic for the past two years. It's really the only thing I like. I haven't been able to find anything that suits me as much. Anyone familiar with the scent that can suggest something similar? I couldn't tell you the base notes, but it is an extremely fresh scent. I believe it is water based. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

1237379fdqxrvb3f5.gif

Lorelei, you are a DOLL! Diamonds, perfumes, animals you are a renaissance woman! I will definitely look into the Hermes scent. Thank you!!
You are most welcome, and thanks for your kind words
12.gif
! I have a feeling you will like Eau de Merveilles very much! There are 2 varieties Eau de Merveilles which is the EDT version and the slightly stronger Elixir de Merveilles which is the EDP.

somehowcollide

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/29/2008 8:36:53 AM
Date: 8/29/2008 8:21:06 AM

9.gif

1237379fdqxrvb3f5.gif

You are most welcome, and thanks for your kind words
12.gif
! I have a feeling you will like Eau de Merveilles very much! There are 2 varieties Eau de Merveilles which is the EDT version and the slightly stronger Elixir de Merveilles which is the EDP.

Lorelei, I''ve purchased some! I got the Limited Edition Pegasus version. I am quite excited to receive it now
36.gif
36.gif
Oh, and I purchased the EDT!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/29/2008 9:13:21 AM

Date: 8/29/2008 8:36:53 AM

Lorelei, I've purchased some! I got the Limited Edition Pegasus version. I am quite excited to receive it now
36.gif
36.gif
Oh, and I purchased the EDT!
OOOH!!!! I am so excited for you, let me know how you like it when it arrives!!!! Let it sit for a bit to settle on your skin to get a good feel for it!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Since I am a tuberose fanatic, I search out brands with that flower in it. I have been thru many, and rejected the same number, but Carnal Flower is one of my new favs. Unreal. I wore it out three times, and everytime, some person stopped me to ask me what I was wearing (two ladies and a man....). It has great staying power--I can smell it on my skin hours after I spray it.

My sister introduced me to Jo Malone''s white jasmine and mint. She got a sample in Vegas and I will ask for this for my anni coming up shortly. It is really wonderful--neat combo. I am a fan of JM stuff and am currently also using her Grapefruit; and have used the Orange Blossom and French Lime Blossom. Excellent quality products with styaing power (on me).

I also plan to revisit Hanae Mori--I wore this years ago; but love the very soft, sublte sweet fragrance. Comfort scent!

IN short, I change perfume on a regular basis--as there are days that I cannot wear one fav (hormones??), but another suits. Mood and event dependent as well......
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that Sephora is just a CRAZY place! I spent a ridiculous amount of time there today (probably saved me money that would have otherwise been spent in Saks and Bloomies, LOL). I came away with Coco on my left wrist, Shalimar on my right wrist, a big headache from all the different smells, and no coffee beans in sight. As a matter of fact when I asked about the coffee beans the guys who was helping me rolled his eyes and said, "This ain't Starbucks honey."

I tried to get samples of some things, but no dice on that at Sephora. However, just based on my wrists I've decided no more Shalimar for me. I do like the Coco (at least what I can still smell of it four hours later) but my efforts to get a sample of that even in the department stores were fruitless. The woman in Bloomies huffily said, "That is the rarest fragrance!" The rarest... in what regard? In the Chanel line? In the perfume department in general? In the universe? She stopped talking to me before I actually got to an answer...

So, long story short (or is it already too late for that?!), I am trying, but geez, this whole "new scent" thing is HARD! No wonder I've been wearing the same thing for 15 years!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I finally started wearing perfume this year. We were at a hotel that stocked Bulgari''s the blanc range and I knew that was it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results