shape
carat
color
clarity

How many people have lost stones from pave settings?

Have you ever lost a stone from your pave setting?

• Yes, I have lost multiple stones from my setting.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Yes, I have one stone that has fallen out multiple times after I have it reset.

• Yes, I had one stone fall out once, but after it was reset, there have been no further problems.

• I have a stone that looks loose, so I am concerned, but I''ve never actually lost one.

• Nope, never lost a single stone!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
So I''m starting to get worried...lots of people seem to be losing pave stones! I''m wondering if it''s just that we hear a lot about them when people do lose them, but the vast majority don''t have problems, or if it really is a widespread issue.

If you have more than one ring with pave that you wear reasonably often, please vote separately for each ring!

Thanks!

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Also, feel free to comment a little on your experience (& brand of your setting?) or link to your thread if you have one.

Thanks!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Nope, never lost a single one. My ring is custom made by Quest. I wear my set daily as well as use the ultrasonic and steamer. So far so good.

AlyceC

Rough_Rock
I purchased a RHR with three rows of pave diamonds set in 14K white gold, and I have had the same diamond fall out twice. I was told it will continue to fall out because of how the ring was reshaped when I had it sized down from a 7 to a 4.5. Pave is beautiful, but I am hesitant to go with it again on an everyday piece of jewelry. I hope you have better luck if you decide to go with pave.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for voting! (& keep it up! I know there are more than 12 PSers with pave!!)

My boyfriend has already purchased my engagement ring which I am 99% sure has pave, and I''m just wondering how careful I need to be with it...I was planning to wear it every day and only take it off in the shower or doing yardwork or anything particularly dangerous/messy.

I was also lured in by the ultrasonic thread to thinking I wanted one - but then people kept saying that you shouldn''t put pave in them! So I''m glad to hear DiamondLil''s is still in good shape! Have other people put pave in an ultrasonic? How careful are you with yours in general?

Thanks!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I lost a melee in my Ultra Sonic. I have not had a problem since it has ben re-set BUT I have also not put my e-ring in my US.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well you know my story right?? I am getting my ring back from Quest on Tuesday. I will NOT however put it in the US. Not taking any chances with this baby. Also I am very gentle with all my jewelry so I have no clue how the stone fell out in the first place. I was driving and looked down at it at a red light and noticed a stone was missing. I''ll let you know how it goes in a few weeks after I get it back and wear it. I pray it won''t happen again. Sending it through the mail gives me a panic attack.
32.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I have three Ritani rings and haven''t lost a stone........... yet.

Hey, you never know!
2.gif

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for voting & telling your stories! I''m feeling a bit reassured now that "no problems" has crept up to 68%.... Is there anyone else out there who hasn''t voted yet? Vote please! Thanks!!
1.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I voted a few days ago. I have the pave halo prong from Whiteflash. I wear it everyday. It is holding up beautifully. Of course, I really didn''t expect anything less.
2.gif

shay

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Hehe, thanks Shay!
1.gif
I am starting to get less worried.... Do you clean yours in an ultrasonic? (or does anyone with pave?) I read that whole thread about ultrasonics and really wanted one, but now I''m not sure if that''s a good idea. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have a US. I do have a steamer, but I haven''t used it on it. I clean my ring every day with the Sparkle cleaner from WF. Once a week I soak it in an ammonia and soapy water hot bath. My ring sparkles just as it did the day I received it.

shay

lilyinct

Shiny_Rock
Hey Shay-

What''s your recipe for the ammonia/hot soapy water bath???

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
What Sparkle cleaner is this? I can only find a platinum cleaner on their site.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Jazmine, they also have one for gold. Just give them a call.

Lily,
Recipe: Take down bowl from cabinet. Put in ring. Pour a good sized splash of ammonia in bowl. (it''s cheap, why not) Add a couple of drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid. Run water in sink till hot. Fill bowl till frothy. Let soak for 20 minutes. Use a soft toothbrush to get in crevices, and rinse with hot water. Dry ring with can of compressed air. My husband thinks it''s for computers.
20.gif
Your ring will hurt people''s eyes.
9.gif
(be sure and dry the pavillion area as well. water spots can affect shine)

shay

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
My ring will be platinum, I just wasn''t clear on if the platinum cleaner was what you had referred to as the Sparkle stuff.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/16/2005 10:36:36 AM
Author: Shay37
Jazmine, they also have one for gold. Just give them a call.

Lily,
Recipe: Take down bowl from cabinet. Put in ring. Pour a good sized splash of ammonia in bowl. (it''s cheap, why not) Add a couple of drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid. Run water in sink till hot. Fill bowl till frothy. Let soak for 20 minutes. Use a soft toothbrush to get in crevices, and rinse with hot water. Dry ring with can of compressed air. My husband thinks it''s for computers.
20.gif
Your ring will hurt people''s eyes.
9.gif
(be sure and dry the pavillion area as well. water spots can affect shine)

shay

Shay that''s exactly what I do when cleaning my ring with my ammonia mix, I also use the canned air for drying, much to DH''s disgust. He too thinks it is for computers only ( not).

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
I lost a stone. I think it was because of the sizing beads I had put in though. THat is exactly where the stone fell out. It is still at the jewlers and I am making sure they check ALL the stones!

lilyinct

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Shay for the precise directions! I''ll be trying that formula out tonight...

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
I''ve had my ring for about 3 months and no problem what so ever! Most jewelers will gladly fix and replace the missing stone.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just got my ring back from Quest. I am praying I won''t loose another stone, but if I do they replace it for free, so no biggie.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2005 12:40:47 PM
Author: kaleigh
I just got my ring back from Quest. I am praying I won't loose another stone, but if I do they replace it for free, so no biggie.
It could end up being a biggie if you end up having to return the ring every 3 months for repair.

Do you pay shipping or do they ? Both ways? Insurance? If you pay and it's even $10 or $20, that is not FREE.

Some people are not having problems, others are, there is no guarantee one way or the other, but if you are having a problem or have had one, and it's chronic, that could be a PITA if you have to keep sending the ring out.

Just something to consider for those who are thinking of pave or micro-pave etc. Really think about it from all angles. You may or may not be someone who has a problem with it, but really think about whether or not you WANT to even deal with it. I know it would drive me nuts.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
They offered to pay for the shipping, but wanted me to use UPS and fib about the value of the ring and I wasn''t comfortable with that. So yes I paid $21 to ship it USPS. This is a RHR thank god. I would never get pave for an ering. Too much hassle, and worry. But that''s just me. Yes it will be a PITA ring Mara.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2005 12:53:04 PM
Author: kaleigh
They offered to pay for the shipping, but wanted me to use UPS and fib about the value of the ring and I wasn't comfortable with that. So yes I paid $21 to ship it USPS. This is a RHR thank god. I would never get pave for an ering. Too much hassle, and worry. But that's just me. Yes it will be a PITA ring Mara.
Some people would be okay with a PITA ring...but I think that part of it is education. Would you still have gotten the setting the way it is if you knew it was for an engagement ring? Probably not...it would drive me nuts too!

I was thinking about this recently and it dawned on me that so many of these women who are getting these diamond encrusted rings just aren't being realistic. Sure some settings don't have problems. But many other ones do. These settings are just not really made for the daily wear and tear of us gals banging our hands around. I would have LOVED a micropave encrusted set of rings for my e-ring and w-ring but I just knew that I would not feel comfortable, it wasn't realistic for DAILY USE and my jeweler told me this. So I opted for my 4 prong setting. Sure it's a bit more metal than I wanted, but I don't worry about them at all and they are still really beautiful. I adore pave and micropave, but it's just seriously high-maintenance.

But still knowing that, so many gals on here are still considering it for their e-ring or daily use because they HAVE to have their 'dream ring' just like in the magazine. Three sided micropave no less. They say things like oh well I won't wear it all the time or I will be SO CAREFUL with it. What a drag! Life is not about 'being careful' with your expensive ring. I guess I would just urge people considering it to really think about you, your lifestyle, your habits. I knew I was way too clumsy to be entrusted with something delicate, and I wanted to wear my ring ALL THE TIME. So those styles just weren't going to work for me.

glamgirl

Shiny_Rock
From what I have heard if Pave is done very very well, it should never fall out. I dont know if I would want to wear 2 pave bands stacked... I would worry about damage, but I was told well set pave does not fall out. Has anyone ever bought a high end piece(Michael B, Varna etc) and had a stone fall out? There is ALOT of Pave being manufactured because of its popularity, but I think the skill of the designer/worker will determine durability or longevity.

glamgirl

Shiny_Rock
And Price!!!!!!!!!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just posted this over in another thread but think it''s worth repeating here..

Bill Pearlman talked about his experience with pave in this thread, the one where ally lost her stone.
He said "I have carried Michael B and Ritani since their entry into the jewelry business and have never had a problem with their workmanship or with diamonds popping out or loosening. The thinnest we carry a e-ring is 1.9mm which is a Ritani. There are Michael B bands as thin a s 1.6mm. None of the designers we have can you press down on a section of the ring and collapse the seating of the diamonds which I suspect has happened here. Generally caused by drilling the seat too deep or the walls around the diamonds were to thin thickness wise. What they all have in common are superior quality control departments so problems are kept to a minimum.

Any diamond can be knocked out of a ring and any diamond can be loosened in a setting. Biggest culprits are working out, house or yard work, clinching the steering wheel of a car to tightly. These all will have a effect on the way a ring holds up. I believe in wearing jewelry where it is appropriate but understand that not everyone will do this. To this I say stay with the brands with the best reputations. They cost more but for those who have them I''m sure most would say that with routine care they never have problems with them. There is so much that goes on in the manufacturing of jewelry that it''s buyer beware. Just using the word pave does not mean that they are all made with the same attention to detail. The designers above are perfect examples of this."

I think this shows a quality ring probably won''t have problems but you will have to be careful and take care of it, baby it a bit. You''ll have to decide if that''s the type of setting you want and if it''s worth it.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I''d like to extend the poll a little bit by asking this -- Of those who HAVE lost stones from their pave ring, did you have any type of alterations done to your ring such as sizing up or down or adding sizing beads, etc., that might possibly play a role in causing a stone to be come loose?

I''m not blaming anyone for having these things done. I just wonder if this could possibly affect the durability of pave.
33.gif

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have a pave ring, so I obviously can''t answer the question, but I think it should also be asked where the stone fell out.

It seems like the stones are falling out where work has been done on the rings (i.e. places where sizing was done) or on the bottom where the ring would take a lot of abuse. Correct me if I am wrong.

Also, it seems a lot of the rings here on PS have pave either completely around the shank or a good portion of it. I am certainly no expert on antique rings, but it seems like the older rings only had pave on the top (i.e. a halo) or on the shoulders - none were full eternity pave rings. My grandmother had a pave ring for over 50 years. She wore it daily and doing such things as cleaning, yard work, etc. However, her pave was only on the top, too.

Could that be a source of problems - where the pave is? Maybe these rings should not be made in a full eternity style?

maryg

Rough_Rock
I lost a stone in my pave'' necklace. I blamed it on the necklace being a Honk Kong piece (they are cheaper)
oh and the stones are soooooooo bad looks like k-m colors and I1-2 clarity
OK I still love it DH got if for our 3rd ann. shouldn''t complain it wasn''t exp. for $800.00 its well worth.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results