shape
carat
color
clarity

Hilaria Baldwin. (Alec’s wife). Have you been following this?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave -I think that's how this whole thing got started. Hilaria posted a pic of her lingerie clad post-baby body on Twitter. Amy wrote something snarky about it. Hilaria replied about body inclusivity. Amy apologized. THEN someone lit the fire by replying to the whole back and forth by accusing Hilaria of being dishonest regarding her heritage. The rest is history. lol

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave -I think that's how this whole thing got started. Hilaria posted a pic of her lingerie clad post-baby body on Twitter. Amy wrote something snarky about it. Hilaria replied about body inclusivity. Amy apologized. THEN someone lit the fire by replying to the whole back and forth by accusing Hilaria of being dishonest regarding her heritage. The rest is history. lol

Lol. Unintended consequences

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I knew a girl years ago who spent a summer in London styling hair in a fancy salon. When she came back she affected the accent.
This went on for quite some time. Everyone just acted like it was normal...but I thought she was weird.

Hahahaha I wish there was a laughing icon for this. Omg that's hilarious

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My kids are part Latin but they don’t associate because they don’t have an immigrant experience. Their grandfather’s dad wouldn’t allow his kids to speak Spanish at home because he wanted to them assimilate and not be immigrant children. That was his decision to make I suppose and now my kids don’t identify with the heritage of their surname.
My late FIL’s death certificate identifies him as Latino and we were like hum, that’s interesting.

Then this chick comes along and loves Spain and Spanish culture and walks right in like it’s there for her to take, and I’m like feeling strange because idk... does this have anything to do with my kids? Should my kids care more about their ancestry?

23&me has my daughter as 6% Native American, which I assume is the Central American (Mayan? My husband’s aunts are really dark skinned) part. (A man from Central America married a woman from Sicily— genetics are fascinating and the US is truly a melting pot)

I’m rambling... idk.

The whole thing is so odd.

Last edited:

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I think it’s really strange. She’s from the US, grew up here and went to school here, and her parents are not immigrants from Spain they have longstanding roots in the US. I would believe being raised bilingual as many folks are (I live in Miami where pretty much everybody speaks Spanish) but she’s altered her name and puts on the overly thick accent and “how you say...” nonsense when she grew up speaking English

I actually think it’s sad in a way- did she think she was so uninteresting that she needed to create a fake “exotic” backstory. That’s a deep insecurity. So is the need to post tons on social media for affirmation. I mean, good for her if this is what she really wants, but I can’t help but think she has underlying issues. It’s also pretty ballsy in the age of information access where it’s easy to look up someone’s past and talk to people who knew her as a young adult before she transitioned from Hillary to Hilaria...

Myshinybestlife

Shiny_Rock
Playing devils advocate, i was born in NY moved back with my parents in 3rd grade, I have an accent that i am not trying to shed.
My kids have 2 accents, when they speak to my husband and I - they imitate our accent, when they are with their friends they have none. I never paid attention until I went to school for parent teacher conference with my son who was 8 at the time, his teacher stopped midway and said she has never heard him speak with an accent :shock:. He has never been to my home country, he understand little of my language, does not speak it at all.
Though hers seems like a different story.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I know lots of people who pick up accents easily. And then you go with whichever accent makes it easier for people to understand you - ease of communication and all right? But a whole backstory with fake heritage sounds totally bizarre.

Doesn’t it make you wonder how many more like Jessica Krug and Rachel Dolezal is around?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is all so odd, but in her possible defense, "code switching" is very very real. I work with a LOT of people who are bilingual, by how they were raised OR having learned another language as a second language. My best friend is a bilingual Speech and Language Pathologist who learned Spanish as her "L2". Sometimes when we're talking she'll slip into Spanish and not even realize it My husband learned Spanish in school as a kid, he's told me sometimes he dreams in Spanish or thinks in it and has to translate to English in his head. Languages and how our brains process them can be very weird, not even talking about accents.

Now the name change, that's an entirely different beast!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My great (x7) grandfather is from NJ but his father was NY Dutch
Anyone mind if i pilfer a bit of NJ culture??
So i lookdd up a few things on how to sound more Jersey

Honestly its too hard and too much of an affort

Good luck to Mrs Baldwin !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is all so odd, but in her possible defense, "code switching" is very very real. I work with a LOT of people who are bilingual, by how they were raised OR having learned another language as a second language. My best friend is a bilingual Speech and Language Pathologist who learned Spanish as her "L2". Sometimes when we're talking she'll slip into Spanish and not even realize it My husband learned Spanish in school as a kid, he's told me sometimes he dreams in Spanish or thinks in it and has to translate to English in his head. Languages and how our brains process them can be very weird, not even talking about accents.

Your freind best friend and husband's Spanish is more impressive being able to dream in another language

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I get that and her parents did retire to Spain and she apparently visits there often, so I can see how you go there and the accent comes back and you come back here and the accent goes away etc...

But she seemed to use this persona to make money, which basically makes it a grift (or to catch a famous older man)

And she said she lived there until she moved to the states at 19 to attend university, which is another lie.... She went to school here.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JMHO: This might be the biggest NONEVENT in 2020. NFE.

Apparently is this a story. But WHY is goes NON and NON and NON begs belief. WGAS.:confused:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JMHO: This might be the biggest NONEVENT in 2020. NFE.

Apparently is this a story. But WHY is goes NON and NON and NON begs belief. WGAS.:confused:

I think for two reasons: 1) a grift? 2) biggest open secret but why would no one report on it? Afraid of Alec? Just some thoughts

tinatark

Shiny_Rock
I saw an interview Alec Baldwin did on Letterman - he referred to his wife as being "from Spain"... might be a little trouble at home!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this is extremely disingenuous! Come on people....Imagine if she were pretending to be a coloured woman for example, this sh*t would hit the fan entirely! Such a double standard these days... :rolleyes: Being fluent in Spanish doesn’t actually make you Spanish.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this is extremely disingenuous! Come on people....Imagine if she were pretending to be a coloured woman for example, this sh*t would hit the fan entirely! Such a double standard these days... :rolleyes: Being fluent in Spanish doesn’t actually make you Spanish.

I’m over cancel culture. Not that I even knew who she was before this so I guess I wouldn’t even consider canceling her. Lol

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
What? Who would care if Hilarious Baldwin pretended to be a woman of color and what does she have to be cancelled from? What is going on?

Nevermind. I'm usually happier when I don't know what is going on haha!

I think being married to Alec Baldwin is punishment enough for anything she does anyway! I haven't liked him ever since that time a long time ago when he was recorded calling his young daughter (at the time) a pig.

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think anyone is cancelling her besides Woke Twitter. They are a whole other kettle of fish.

I personally found it interesting to see how a D grade celebrity hustles in order to make money.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never followed her to start with so definitely not “cancelling” her, all I doing is calling out the bullsh*t. I couldn’t actually care less who she is...

It’s more about how some cultural appropriation is not acceptable, no matter how vague and yet this seems to somehow slip by!?

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If i moved to New Jersey id be doing all i could to speak like a local !
...not really the same thing

Speaking of NJ, I worked on a unit where my assistants came from places like Uruguay, Puerto Rico the Philippines and Haiti. Im a NJ native but was raised by parents from Chicago, and we had a detour into Wisconsin for a couple of years.

Everyone got along well on the unit. But one day my Haitian assistant said to me, "You know doberman, we think you have an accent". So funny.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Sometimes its threads like this one, which is not really controversial that I enjoy the most.
Last nite, in bed, forgotten memories appeared in my head. On two occasions I became another persona. One persona was thrust upon me by someone else who was trying to make an impression- and included me in her quite made up story. I had to play the role for several days, but it began at a political party. At the time there were moments I was laughing so hard, I embarrassed some of the people who came with me to the party. I laughed last night too.

This party had many political influencers in attendance, mover and shakers for the State Democratic party. Some names that you might even recognize. Due to my new persona, I was sought out at this party by the important Dems. Suffice it to say by the end of the party, I had tentative meetings scheduled with influencers and candidates wanting my advise and help. After all I was from New York and had the accent to prove it. I was a nervous wreck. All for my friend who had political ambitions. A few yrs later she achieved her ambitions. Its hard being someone else.

The second time was more frivolous and done for fun.

Annette

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Speaking of NJ, I worked on a unit where my assistants came from places like Uruguay, Puerto Rico the Philippines and Haiti. Im a NJ native but was raised by parents from Chicago, and we had a detour into Wisconsin for a couple of years.

Everyone got along well on the unit. But one day my Haitian assistant said to me, "You know doberman, we think you have an accent". So funny.

I should love your accent the best

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had no idea this was a Thing.
But with 51 responses to this thread... I had to google it.
And now, having read two blogs and watched two twitter videos and five youtube clips (complete with 6-second commercials!) - here I am contributing post #55 :lol:

She... Really committed to this. The kids even have Spanish names. That's, like, a multigenerational con... Talk about faking it 'til you [literally] make it [them?]...

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think anyone is cancelling her besides Woke Twitter. They are a whole other kettle of fish.

I personally found it interesting to see how a D grade celebrity hustles in order to make money.

Ive never heard of her but by lunch time she has made the entertainment news here
No doubt a cut and paste

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had no idea this was a Thing.
But with 51 responses to this thread... I had to google it.
And now, having read two blogs and watched two twitter videos and five youtube clips (complete with 6-second commercials!) - here I am contributing post #55 :lol:

She... Really committed to this. The kids even have Spanish names. That's, like, a multigenerational con... Talk about faking it 'til you [literally] make it [them?]...

It is prerry funny
Maybe we all need the distraction from covid 19 and its many ugly heads
My sister loves Italy as does her woke husband
The kids are called Bruno (the name of a dog food in NZ) and Luciana and instead of mum and dad they say Pappa and mamna (?)
Oh well i don't think Prince Charles and his sibblings call their parents mum and dad either although i think the little Cambridge kiddies do

I am Borris and Tibby's mommy (rather than mummy) because i like the Americanism
For all i know they call me that "neurotic clingy bit*h that provides the food" behind my back

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My supervisor's son got sent to speech therapy in elementary school here in Connecticut. Then the speech pathologist met his mother, who was from the Deep South and realized what the so-called "problem" was.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My supervisor's son got sent to speech therapy in elementary school here in Connecticut. Then the speech pathologist met his mother, who was from the Deep South and realized what the so-called "problem" was.

That would be funny except when i first moved up north from down south i got mocked for how i talked
One of my workmates used to whistle dueling banjos when i walked in every morning

But the American southern accent is a chick magnet

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results