shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Wedding Outfit...!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
If it's good enough for barbie it's god enough for me.
36.gif
(I vote brown dress) I love pink and brown. You get the idea. I think a gold shoe would look lovely...A gold bag or pink and brown bag would tie it all together... As for why and how I have this pic....don't ask
41.gif

barbiegirlbr.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
EVENINGBAGS.COM

EVENINGBAG.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara, I can certainly see why you are facing a dilemma here. I think the pink or the brown would be stunning on you...especially if the dress fits you so well and is so flattering. Are you a fan of the long, or opera-length necklaces (or "boho")? If so, I would even think about doing a long strand of something Swarovski-esque in a contrasting color instead of the typical length necklace we all think of when wearing a strapless dress. I.e. pinks or golds with the brown dress, or browns/golds with the pink dress...wrap, bag and shoes to tie in. Just a thought, if you''re a fan, hee hee.
9.gif

I actually have two Laundry dresses from LY, one in hot pink, one in brown, that are very similar styles in the same fabric...my coloring is somewhat similar to yours and I love those colors on me. I still have people calling me to borrow them for weddings a year later! I could always send them your way (they have been cleaned, lol)!
35.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
will you wear gold jewelry with the brown dress?

will you in a car?
will you in a bar?

will you wear gold jewelry with that dress?
do you want to be the star?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol belle...

so i met up with a few of the PS bay girls today in burlingame for some shopping and lunch and there was a jcrew there, so they had the pink dress and the brown so i could show the gals what i was looking at!!

the pink was the hands down winner so i ended up getting it AND it was on sale for $69!! score! then we went to a shoe store that was having a closing sale and i got the coolest silver heeled sandals for $30! i have long dangly hammered silver earrings with pearls and crystals hanging from them to wear and figure i can go necklace simple with my solitaire pendant....and my hair down. i am jazzed because i spent WAY less than i expected to. so now i just need a silvery gray stole or shawl or wrap or something to complete the outfit. YAY!!!

anyone have suggestions on a silvery gray shawl that isn''t an arm and a leg? hehee.

i''ll post a finished picture the day of ala allisonfaye...thanks for all the great advice and help and THANKS to the PS Bay gals for their amazing fashion assistance in a short-term crisis!!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was one of the Bay Area girls with Mara yesterday and when she tried the pink dress on for us, we were all wowed! She was a KNOCKOUT! I''m talking HOT! Her skin glowed against the color. Then, she put on the brown dress, which although lovely, didn''t have the "oh my god" factor. We told her that if she didn''t buy the pink dress, we''d kill her.
9.gif
(peer pressure, anyone?) I was expecting the dress to be more of a hot pink, which the photo seemed to suggest. But in real life, I was surprised at how WEARABLE the raspberry color was...a neutral deep pink that could easily be worn anytime, not just for special occasions. The silver shoes were beautiful and I really loved the cork heel (imparts a down-to-earth feel). Mara, on eBay I found a few gray pashminas and shrugs that you might like:

Light gray NWT 100% pure pashmina for $20:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pashmina-Cashmere-Scarf-100-Pure-Lite-Gray-Shawl_W0QQitemZ6855630911QQihZ013QQcategoryZ45245QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or check out this NWT silver shrug:
http://cgi.ebay.com/AEROPOSTALE-NWT-Cropped-Button-Shrug-Medium-Silver_W0QQitemZ160026252956QQihZ006QQcategoryZ3064QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here''s a NWT cute capelet shrug:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-new-GAP-GRAY-CAPELET-SHRUG-SWEATER-PONCHO-S-M-L-XL_W0QQitemZ120029384960QQihZ002QQcategoryZ63866QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I can''t wait to see the finished look!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Sounds very nice! Look forward to seeing pics!

cheers--Sharon

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Mara hope you dont mind me hijacking your thread but I am in search of a dress for a wedding also. So, what do you ladies think of wearing black to a wedding? Some say it is ok others say it is a faux paux.......

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I just went to a wedding today and saw two women wearing black. I thought they both looked sophisticated and elegant. It's funny but I was in Ann Taylor a couple weeks ago trying things on for a wedding I'm going to on Sept. 30. I saw a woman I knew there (as I was trying on black) and she said "Oh no, you can't wear black to a wedding." As it turns out, I ended up buying a black sleeveless sweater and a skirt that has black lace over a white underskirt. I don't think it's a faux pas at all.

And Mara, after being a person who voted for chocolate, the pink sound slike it will be fab on you.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Vegas- I wasn''t aware that there WERE any other colors!
10.gif
You can usually find me at black, including weddings...it is not a faux p by any stretch.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wear black to 75% of weddings. I think the only color one should stay away from going to a wedding is white
1.gif

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Good thanks :) I will try & find a nice colored dress but I will probably end up with something black; it''s the easiest for me. They are having their wedding & reception in Club Rain at the Palms so I am thinking anything will work.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Vegas Angel...I think Black is fine for a wedding as well! I have often worn black in the past to weddings...but I think it also depends on the ''tone'' of the wedding. aka for this outdoor end of summer garden wedding I did not want to wear black. So I would have worn chocolate brown but tried to lighten it up with accessories, but this was as dark as I would have gone for THIS particular wedding.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/7/2006 8:12:23 PM
Author: moremoremore
If it''s good enough for barbie it''s god enough for me.
36.gif
(I vote brown dress) I love pink and brown. You get the idea. I think a gold shoe would look lovely...A gold bag or pink and brown bag would tie it all together... As for why and how I have this pic....don''t ask
41.gif
I totally recognize you in the picture moremoremore!!!! You are the cutie on the right, right?
9.gif

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Yay for the pink Mara!!!! You will "be a star", as belle said, in that hot colour!
36.gif

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
I was silently rooting for the pink, so I''m happy to hear it was the hands-down winner in the end.

I''m nervous to be the lone dissentor on the ''black at a wedding'' opinions, but I wore black to the last wedding I attended (labour day weekend last year) and I felt innapropriate and conspicious in my black wrap dress. No one else was wearing black, not even the older women. I was a student at the time and had no money for non-basics like clothing. I had a hot fushia satin knee-length skirt I wore under the wrap dress, so I wouldn''t bring an XXX element to the wedding every time I walked or sat down.
20.gif
I thought the underskirt would cheer up the black dress, but I still got a comment from the bride for not breaking my black habit for a wedding.
15.gif

She said so in a gentle teasing way, but still. Black at a wedding would be my very last choice, and 90% of my wardrobe is black.

I think it would also depend on where the wedding was and how traditionalist the families were.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks for the positive vibes on the pink gals....i was really torn originally but the response from the gals when they saw the dress was hands down THE PINK so i figured why not?!?!!
2.gif

thanks for the links KD...it''s so odd because i have this picture in my MIND of what i am looking for but it seems hard to find. i am a little leery of getting a pashmina on ebay because i did buy some previously and they were crap. so i''m not sure exactly what you should be looking for. i checked out the one that luckyhonu emailed me and hers are 70 pashmina and 30 silk so i wonder if i should be looking for that kind of feel. i dont'' want somethin totally ''wooly'' but also not too ''silky'' either.

i found a few crocheted type shawls on ebay but not sure if they are too fancy. i will post the links...

i am also thinking about maybe asking my mom to crochet or knit me something. she hates when i ''task'' her with stuff like this but if i can''t find anything in the next week, i may just go with her to get some yarn next weekend, and look through her books. she has a ton of shawl and capelet patterns as well so it may end up being even cheaper and then i will know for sure what i am getting. and i can have her keep a ''looser stitch'' on it or something if i don''t want it to be too thick and i could choose the yarn to match the color in my mind. so that''s PLAN B! the best part is she is a quick knitter so she could make me something literally in about 2 days. hehee. can''t beat that turnaround!!
5.gif

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Mara, I still haven''t heard back from the seller, I hope that she''s able to answer me soon. Sorry that it''s taking so long! The 70/30 combo is thinner than 100% pashmina but does not feel silky at all and is still really warm. The silk makes it stronger.

Wow, your mom has a 2 day turnaround? That''s awesome!!! I remember knitting a scarf for myself when I was in high school and it took me months to finish it!
23.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL Hlmr- Yes, I'm quite petite, no? :)
Yike Galateia...that sux to feel that way...but I'm sure you felt worse than you looked....and geez, I guess it could be a regional thing...here in Long Island/NYC , it's really never inappropriate...What state are you in? I had a girlfriend from florida who told me people would look at me like I had three heads with all that black! I did get a red handbag for the fall though...recognizing that I usually look like I'm going to a funeral! Never mind weddings!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks LH...haha i asked my mom tonite if she''d make something for me and she hemmed and hawed and asked if she was a factory...haha. She always hates when we come asking her for things because she has to take time out of her own projects...hehee.

I think my sister MAY have something I can wear, she said she has this capelet/cardigan thing in gray with silver and glass buttons and that it''s crocheted on the arms or something. She said it''s dressy and warm. She thinks it would be cute with a raspberry pink dress and my heels. So she''s emailing me a picture of it so I can decide if I want to call off the search. But I''d probably get the Pashmina anyway just to have a backup, LH so let me know if she does get back to you. Mom said she would do something for me if it was super simple though too but hopefully she won''t have to. I''d have to find a pattern in her book and get the yarn since she has other projects going on too so I wouldn''t want to take up too much of her time.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay so here are a few options for the shawl. i saw the picture of my sister''s sweater and it''s too bulky for my taste. i want something more simple and light feeling.

here''s an ''ombre pashmina wrap'' i found on amazon...it''s 50 pashmina and 50 silk and the closeup image looks smooth but it should still be warm thanks to the wool. thoughts? it''s $28.

here''s the picture of the wrap itself. the next picture is it in silver/gray.

ombre pashmina 2.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
silver gray...

ombre pashmina.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and there is this one too but i dont know if i like how it photographs, it looks cheap. i think it's just the flash on the shawl though. it's supposed to be alpaca wool and silk blend. it's $30.

oh and i think i wouldn't do the ombre pashmina, but a 'solid' one in silver. so like the lighter color in the picture on the left.

silver shawl.jpg

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i don''t like the fringe on that last one.

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Bad news Mara...the seller said that she doesn''t have the light gray shawl right now and is waiting for the weaver to dye more shawls which won''t be ready until October or so (!!!)
23.gif

BTW I like the silver gray one from Amazon.com - the knotted fringe looks better.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and here are my shoes.

lh i think i like that amazon one too and it''s only $28. so it''s not like i''m out big bucks if it doesn''t look AS great.

silve enzos.jpg

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been hunting around the pickin's are slim in terms of gray wraps. (unless, of course, you want to spend $150+!)

Here's an acrylic shawl (very soft!) for $15 and it comes in silver:
http://www.shopscarves.com/prodpage.asp?StyleID=5&StyleCode=58430000

Metallic shawl in silver for $9 (100% polyester):
http://www.shopscarves.com/prodpage.asp?StyleID=5&StyleCode=47200000

OK, this is totally different but I thought it was pretty. It's called "silver pink." It seems like a medium pink shawl, could be really nice with your deep pink dress?
http://www.shopscarves.com/prodpage.asp?StyleID=5&StyleCode=38709878

Light silver grey pashmina/silk wrap for $36 (click on the swatch for 'light silver grey'):
http://www.allscarf.com/wrap/silk.htm

Pashmina silk blend wrap in light gray, $49.99:
http://www.pashminagalleria.com/products/pashminablend-wrap-light-grey.html

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
those look great kristydarling! yay! gray! hehehe

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks KD...pickins were totally slim!!! i was torn between a few i found but i really liked this one you posted:

Light silver grey pashmina/silk wrap for $36 (click on the swatch for ''light silver grey''):
http://www.allscarf.com/wrap/silk.htm

since it''s called ''light silver gray'' and not just silver or gray...which could be various things. Also they ship same business day so hopefully it will be here by middle of next week. and shipping was just $6. a few of the Amazon ones i found could take up to 4 days to ship and i was not keen on that at all.

anyway stay tuned and thanks for your help. i was THIS CLOSE to ditching the silver and going with choco brown since nordstrom has a really amazing dark chocolate wrap that i LOVED and i thought oh well i could just get choco shoes too ...
31.gif
but now i don''t have to!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results