shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with a star sapphire

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is 18k and it looks like old cut diamonds in the halo. I have zero experience with star sapphires so Mia there a way to figure out if this is synthetic based on pictures? Maybe not, but figured I would ask. TIA!

0DAE9581-C0D5-4293-BDAD-2108FC57E503.jpeg

5AA9014F-3E60-43FC-BC06-91B9AC2F1980.jpeg

972730DC-77EC-4074-993A-749220A9C19C.jpeg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am by no means an expert but some things to consider are 1] does the star move across the stone? If no then I think that means it may be fake. Also 2] are all the star legs equal in size? Perfect stars are hard to come by so usually a perfect star is something to question. 3] can you see the side of the stone? Is it all one piece or does it look like an opal doublet? If it looks like an opal doublet then it's probably a star on a backing fused to the top material. That's all I got, lol.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are there inclusions in the stone? Can you see the silk? Can you see the underside of the gem?

It looks real to me on first glance. The six o'clock leg of the star in the third photo seem to be showing what @Starstruck8 called the "curtain effect", where the asterism permeates into the gem material like a curtain or trail of a falling star.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Catmom and @Dreamer_D for your helpful tips, I do not have it in hand so had to go by pictures and video and I think it is real, it is also a really old ring that was bought from an estate of other old rings.

I bought it (with DH’s blessing) for my upcoming 45th birthday And I’m just really excited to get it. Will share of course once it’s here.

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
I'd guess natural. It looks beautiful but not 'too perfect'. Great find!

It clearly shows minor zoning - see lower right leg in 1st and 3rd pics, main visible leg in second pic. Also, the colour is an attractive pink, not an ideal red.

Here is an excellent synthetic - amazingly beautiful, but too perfect to be natural:
Compared to my earth mined star sapphire
IMG_1927.jpeg IMG_1928.jpeg IMG_1932.jpeg

As always, microscopic examination by a gemmologist is the only way to be sure.

When you receive it, you may like to add it to the star stone thread:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-your-star-sapphires-and-rubies.231433/page-37

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Starstruck8 your rings are beautiful, love the colors! I might have it looked at by the appraiser I use locally to see what her thoughts are. Thanks for your thoughts!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to be clear, those stones aren't mine. I wish they were! They belong to @MakingTheGrade, whose pictures I quoted without asking.

Oops, well MTG has beautiful rings, I probably read the post too quickly while waiting in the school pickup line :shifty:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so pretty, Yada!
Yes, I agree with @Starstruck8
I also see a little zoning.
Such a great pink color.....
45? You don't look a day over 29:kiss2:

Well thank you! You can actually see this ring in action because I posted the videos on my IG. If I could I would link them here but rules you know!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha thanks! And yes the lab star ruby is too perfect to be natural and I think the old synthetic Lindy stars could be identified by how opaque they were.

The photos of the gem aren’t actually in a ring, I just nested it in wire. Since then I’ve put it into a bracelet. Still pondering what to do with the 8mm matching pair.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Man, those are fantastic for labs @MakingTheGrade, they have really come a long way from the Lindy stars.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was doing some research on pink star sapphires since I’m not really familiar with them and super excited to own my first one. I came across this listing, looks like the exact same ring, even the tri-wire shank that in the listing is noted as a newer addition. The size is different though by quite a bit but everything else is nearly identical:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was doing some research on pink star sapphires since I’m not really familiar with them and super excited to own my first one. I came across this listing, looks like the exact same ring, even the tri-wire shank that in the listing is noted as a newer addition. The size is different though by quite a bit but everything else is nearly identical:

That's the same one!
It's a small jewelry world.......

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh, this thread just got really interesting!! :kiss2: Ok, Yada, when do you get your hands on this ring? We're gonna need to know if it really is the same ring!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, this thread just got really interesting!! :kiss2: Ok, Yada, when do you get your hands on this ring? We're gonna need to know if it really is the same ring!!

It it supposed to be here on my birthday, Saturday :dance:

It has to be the same ring, I only say that because how many other pink star sapphire rings with an old cut halo have that tri-wire band? It is really the funniest thing that I found it online just doing a simple search.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much @ilovegemstones, I know you have an eye for these so that means a lot.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely ring! The only thing that gives me pause about the center stone is the apparent dullness - for lack of a better term - of the center stone. My father had an art deco-era ring with a large start sapphire that I’m sure was genuine, and he and my mother wore daily and continually for many years. I don’t recall the surface of the stone ever showing any sort of dullness. Of course, it’s entirely possible that the ring wasn’t photographed under ideal lighting, or that it just needs a good cleaning.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely ring! The only thing that gives me pause about the center stone is the apparent dullness - for lack of a better term - of the center stone. My father had an art deco-era ring with a large start sapphire that I’m sure was genuine, and he and my mother wore daily and continually for many years. I don’t recall the surface of the stone ever showing any sort of dullness. Of course, it’s entirely possible that the ring wasn’t photographed under ideal lighting, or that it just needs a good cleaning.

Yes good point, I don’t expect a perfect stone but hopefully it is not dull IRL, in videos it looks much better than these pictures. I asked the seller to check and make sure the diamonds were secure, (granted it is an old ring but want to make sure it is stable) and in the video she sent me she was putting her thumb on top of all the diamonds and the sapphire. So I will make sure she is clean (gently) before posting pics here.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s here and it is the same exact ring I found online! How to know? Well there is one part where the bezel is really shot and you can see a bit of light between the bezel and the sapphire and in one of the pictures for the listing I found you can see this pretty clearly. Oh my goodness, so excited! Unfortunately there is no sun today, it’s actually been snowing all morning. So I used a flashlight to get the best pic I could, the star does move all over the stone :dance: I love it and it’s so fun to take pictures of.

Obviously I will take good care in wearing it, the stone is not loose and the diamonds are secure, it is 154 years old so….

920F992B-30AB-4D05-8D51-822B73774D20.jpeg

42F41AC9-8593-4011-80A0-82A1EC9D0360.jpeg

D3399259-E71E-42AB-8309-5D1369003695.jpeg

05C10AB5-85FE-4B44-8E39-51C489BE827B.jpeg

A50464E2-FCB9-4A9D-9D99-7D2AAE2AB544.jpeg

9F06795D-24F9-40F5-B701-371089FD984C.jpeg

FD6D6B7E-AD1C-4739-A138-94B17C0C334D.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The sun came out for a literal second so I snapped this pic really quick:

DC73BD19-6D69-47C9-8A8B-344A8D412461.jpeg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so cool when you can trace a little bit of the history of a piece! I found an English auction listing for my horseshoe brooch and I was so excited. It's a beautiful ring with a lovely star!

Joanne10

Rough_Rock
Happy birthday! That’s a lovely, lovely ring there! Wear it in joy and happiness! :kiss2: And what serendipity, to find out more about this ring, he he.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! The color is very close to mine! It will likely shift purple in some lighting.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really is neat to find your exact piece out there on the big wide internet world @Catmom. I was really just trying to find anything I could about star sapphires and then there she was!

@stracci2000, you know I have always been a faceted gem girl, but I really get the appeal of cabochons and star sapphires now. Maybe pearls next? Like I need a new can of worms to open :lol:

@Joanne10 thank you and yes, I was so excited to stumble across my exact ring, very fun indeed!

Thank you so much @RRfromR!

@Dreamer_D, I have to tell you I was inspired by some of the beautiful star sapphires I have seen here and on IG owned by PS’ers, yours included. It has taken some time though to find one at an affordable price point so when this one popped up I had to jump on it. Can’t wait until the sun is bright and shining so I can really see the full beauty.

Thank you so much @LightBright!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results