shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with a star sapphire

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Great find!

In your pics, the stone looks more transparent and the star looks sharper than in the vendor pics. This pic clearly shows the 'silver curtain' effect that @Dreamer_d mentioned above:
9F06795D-24F9-40F5-B701-371089FD984C.jpeg
See the lower left and lower right rays? They seem to cut into the stone. This only occurs in stones with not too much general fog and just the right amount of silk. Too much, and the star is confined the surface, too little and the effect is weak.

Do you have a LWUV flashlight? I'm pretty sure the stone would fluoresce red. This wouldn't add to the value, but it's very cool.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Starstruck8, this is all great information, I really appreciate you taking the time to share it because I am so new to these stones. I do not have one of those flashlights, I imagine I would have to order one online?

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
I do not have one of those flashlights, I imagine I would have to order one online?
Probably, though you might find one at a hardware store. They are pretty inexpensive.

It's probably not worth buying one just for this. But it's cool to see your rubies and purple sapphires and red spinels glow.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Happy Birthday and enjoy your beautiful new ring!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg! I love this! I have had such a crazy week that I totally missed this thread! Gorgeous! Thanks for giving me another quest. Lol

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg! I love this! I have had such a crazy week that I totally missed this thread! Gorgeous! Thanks for giving me another quest. Lol

Nala, you have to get one, they are so fun to play with in different lighting. I’m surprised you haven’t come across one in your travels.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a blue one!! But now I want a pink!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a blue one!! But now I want a pink!

So technically I think this is a star ruby but in the sun and under bright light it is definitely pink. I just mention this in case you try to find one online, not much comes up for star pink sapphire :confused:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I had to track this thread down. What a beautiful ring! I am excited for you. The color in sunshine is so beautiful.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had to track this thread down. What a beautiful ring! I am excited for you. The color in sunshine is so beautiful.

Thanks! I do love how it comes alive in the sunlight and I adore having a chunky halo of diamonds in a ring finally. I have always admired a halo of old cuts and now I have one!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results