shape
carat
color
clarity

Help to design a ring - photo inside

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This just yelled "buy me". I adore the colour, the cut, the size blah blah blah! It's a natural, untreated, certified, 1.52ct yellowish/brown diamond with dimensions of 6.41 x 6.16. Ok, so it's near Christmas and I really shouldn't have bought this but Santa's come a bit early! However, in order to buy this I'm going to have to cut back on the setting (for the time being). So I have 2 choices for setting and need your help, do I:-

1. Design something using 9 x 2mm carre cut white diamonds and/or 2 x 4x2 baguettes (using all or a mix and match scenario); OR
2. Buy an LOGR or lanbo setting for under $500.

I'm also wondering whether the Asscher should be set in y/gold with the sides in w/gold and a w/gold shank or whether to go with all w/gold. What do you think?

I need help/inspiration please! What would you do? Photos and ideas greatly appreciated!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
What a fun project: I am really feeling YG for the center stone and WG for the rest of the ring. With the baguettes and then a carre cut with a plain shank.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Li LD,
pretty stone!
jff, I thought I would add this photo of some carre cuts with tapered baggs.

Liking the idea of incorporating a couple carre cuts for your ring, and also the 2 tone.

Diamonds carre.rs.JPG

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AJ - cool pic! Unfortunately I don''t have the tapered baguettes - I''ve got straight baguettes (4 x 2)
7.gif
Wish I did have tapered baguettes.

SCN - I''m just playing with your suggestion in Powerpoint at the moment. It''s looking good but I can''t get the setting quite right.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Pretty diamond, LovingDiamonds! I really like the idea of setting the diamond in YG as I think it will amp up the color a bit. And thanks, Arjunajane for posting those carres and baguettes, because I think that would be a beautiful setting for the diamond as well. But perhaps if LD has a specific LOGR setting in mind, that would help to make a choice, but I really like the look of AJ''s sidestones for the asscher.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD as you know I love your other setting with carre cut stones
2.gif
, and I think this would be lovely with the your asscher yellow stone here, the step cut features will flow beautifully, any design you come up with will be stunning
30.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Nice stone - another fun project
31.gif

How about setting caree diamonds diagonally i.e. standing on the tips, in a single row on each side of the center (so four on each side, which would cover the length of about 12 mm as their diagonal is a bit longer than the sides). The result would look like a band-type ring with a center stone. You can use baguettes for instance in the gallery and have an interesting profile as well. One remaining caree could be set on the palm side of the band (probably also diagonally).

I''d set the center stone in YG (preferably a nice warm shade i.e. 18k), and use WG for the rest.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve been doing some very dodgy sketches in Powerpoint (I really must buy Photoshop) but here are some ideas. The middle one is my favourite so far.

Mr ma re - not sure how the carre''s could be set if you put them diagonally because you''d end up with trilliant holes iykwim???? Am I misunderstanding you? Will go and have a play in Powerpoint again ....... !

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think you mean this do you mr ma re???? Love the idea of using the baguettes on the side of the head - that would be a stunning profile.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
LD, you wouldn''t really get holes between stones, cause carees would be set like in an eternity ring, only diagonally. I''m imagining a solid band on which they''re set, so that there are no holes.

Of those designs you came up with, middle one is my favorite too.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/24/2009 11:10:57 AM
Author: ma re
LD, you wouldn''t really get holes between stones, cause carees would be set like in an eternity ring, only diagonally. I''m imagining a solid band on which they''re set, so that there are no holes.

Of those designs you came up with, middle one is my favorite too.
Oh got you now!

I''m thinking I might go with the middle one but without the baguettes and then have the baguettes on the setting as you suggested. So like this (but am not proficient enough to do the side profile)!

D&T - thank you for your lovely comment.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anybody got Photoshop and could help please? This is my Ruby - and I''ve just realised, I must be a creature of habit because this has shoulders (albeit they''re princess cuts) to the setting I''m considering!!! Could some kind person, eliminate the Ruby and put in the asscher for me so we can see what it looks like?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tee hee! I managed to do it in Powerpoint - what do you think?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/24/2009 11:22:13 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds

Oh got you now!

I'm thinking I might go with the middle one but without the baguettes and then have the baguettes on the setting as you suggested. So like this (but am not proficient enough to do the side profile)!

D&T - thank you for your lovely comment.
That could work nicely I agree, but since you have some extra carres you can even arrange them in crosses by adding one to each of the sides in that photo. That might work too and it would give you something different from the ring you already have.

EDIT: But why not use the ring you alreday have, since it'd look great in it!

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Merry Christmas LD!!!

Gemmie purchases love company: I may be following in your elvish footsteps tomorrow when I visit Colorado Gems/Minerals for a 4 Peaks Amethyst, hoping to find an Asscher cut, a good step cut, or a really quality cushion cut.

But I digress...

I like the middle arrangement of the three your powerpointed. That one speaks to me the most.

Wonderful stone, I can see why Santa showed up in October, LOL.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/24/2009 9:41:33 AM
Author: arjunajane
Li LD,
pretty stone!
jff, I thought I would add this photo of some carre cuts with tapered baggs.

Liking the idea of incorporating a couple carre cuts for your ring, and also the 2 tone.
Nice stones AJ. Are they yours? What''s the story morning glory?

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
LD, can you turn the asscher 90 degrees and then put the baguettes on the side, followed by the carrés. Very pretty stone and I think it would look nice in yellow gold prongs or bezel, white gold around the accent diamonds and a yellow gold shank.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/24/2009 8:10:34 AM
Author:LovingDiamonds

This just yelled ''buy me''. I adore the colour, the cut, the size blah blah blah! It''s a natural, untreated, certified, 1.52ct yellowish/brown diamond with dimensions of 6.41 x 6.16. Ok, so it''s near Christmas and I really shouldn''t have bought this but Santa''s come a bit early! However, in order to buy this I''m going to have to cut back on the setting (for the time being). So I have 2 choices for setting and need your help, do I:-

1. Design something using 9 x 2mm carre cut white diamonds and/or 2 x 4x2 baguettes (using all or a mix and match scenario); OR
2. Buy an LOGR or lanbo setting for under $500.

I''m also wondering whether the Asscher should be set in y/gold with the sides in w/gold and a w/gold shank or whether to go with all w/gold. What do you think?

I need help/inspiration please! What would you do? Photos and ideas greatly appreciated!
What color metal are you thinking? Yellow gold might bring out the warm color of the diamond more. Then white gold for the side stones??? I like your designs, very art deco insprired look.

Spirit

Shiny_Rock
What a great stone purchase, LD! I love ashers but have never owned one . I would try not to repeat a similar setting to one you already have. Maybe just the center stone with the baguette on either side would be enough? Especially if the band would be the same width as the baguettes, it would all flow. I''ll take another look...
How much fun to have different colours of diamonds!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
What a fun project. The stone is very nice. Are those photos of the actual sidestones in the powerpoints?
Could you maybe post an actual photo without the cutwork around them? I think it would help to see the warm and cool just alongside each other.
And, I would prefer to just have a semi eternity band with the longer baguettes placed horizontally on each side first, then the carre cuts next. Tiffany makes a style sort of like that, and it is one of my favorites. For me, the other designs seem too busy and don't let the main character take center stage. My eye can't figure out where to land.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mr ma re - there's no way I'm dismantling the Ruby setting! That was bespoke for the marquise but I see where you're coming from :)

Stoniegirl - Happy Christmas to you too! I hope your Santa comes this week for you also!

Gailey - that might work. When the asscher arrives I may try that. Thank you.

TL - I'm thinking yellow around the asscher and white everywhere else. I've seen a similar coloured diamond set in w/gold and it looks too cold and sterile BUT I had the same problem with my chameleon if you remember? I ended up with all Platinum and I'm glad I did for that one. I'll post pics of the stone with the different colour golds when it arrives and would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Spirit - I know what you mean about repeating a similar setting to one I already have but I'm a bit stuck if I go down the custom route because I only have carre cuts or baguettes and I'm not sure that the central asscher will be big enough to sit on it's own with just a baguette on either side.

Pink Tower - no they're not the carre cuts. This is a photo of my chameleon diamond and the side stones are carre cuts. I originally bought an eternity ring that had 11 or 13 stones and I tore it apart for that ring and now have some left over. I can't take pictures because both the carres and the baguettes are with my jeweller.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You gave me an idea ............ I've Powerpointed the asscher over my chameleon. Strangely (and I'm very surprised) I like the look of it in platinum - obviously not the exact same design but I like it with the carre's as well! Of course, I need to see it in real life though!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And with 3 carre cuts on each side (I REALLY like this)!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, that is where my mind was headed, too.
Now, next question?
Look at the photo of the asscher again.
Especially along the top right and very bottom edge.
Do we see a faint tinge of pink, perhaps?.......Just a thought.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/24/2009 4:39:25 PM
Author: Pink Tower
Yep, that is where my mind was headed, too.
Now, next question?
Look at the photo of the asscher again.
Especially along the top right and very bottom edge.
Do we see a faint tinge of pink, perhaps?.......Just a thought.
I can''t see it in all honesty - I do see that it has a sort of peach look but that could just be the lighting. Are you thinking of going down the pink gold route? Nooooooooooooooooooo! As TL will tell you, I have a "thing" about rose gold that it should only be with pink diamonds lol!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Ha. Well, as you can see from my nickname, I love pink. Actually, a pink tower is something I use in my work. But I am referring to the first photo in your post, not the photshopped ones.

Anyway, I do not even wear gold due to allergies. I wear plat., and am about to try the argentium silver as an occasional ring, as people have had wonderful luck with that who have allergies. Have you seen the thread with the warm transitonal stone set in the argentium silver? Just gorgeous; you should look it up. I cannot recall the color, but I think it is quite similar to yours.

And, I know she will set diamond side stones, because she just suggested that to me today for an upcoming project. Just be prepared for a year 2010 arrival date if you go that route. I personally was fine with that.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pink Tower I haven't photoshopped any of the photos. I have seen 2 photos of the asscher and I think the first one is different to the second one I've been using when playing around - but I haven't adjusted colours (that's waaayyyyyy too technical for me)! :)

Have you tried Palladium for your allergies? I think it's hypo allergenic so you may find you're okay with it?

I really don't want to go down the silver route (but thank you for mentioning it) and I certainly couldn't wait until 2010!
9.gif
I am interested to see the thread you've mentioned so will go and have a look now.

ETA: Found the thread! https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/infinity-i1-s-color-set-in-silver.124781/ W
30.gif
W

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Awesome project....I love that asscher!!!!
30.gif

Lori

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Oh Gosh - I Love It.

From what I know, white gold is what people choose to play up the color in their stone. Also, very white side stones, I believe.

Do you have a guess on the color grade?

The sweetie in my avitar is a "P". Now set in white gold to play up the color.

GoodSoul

Brilliant_Rock
that is one gorgeous stone! I really like the little warmth it shows and totally calls for an early Christmas present!! I like the three-stone sides that you have in mind. really look forward to the end result.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results