shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide between three stones for my replacement engagement ring!!! One of them is a FIC...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone,
Things are finally moving with my insurance company and jamesallen to replace my setting after it was damaged on Holloween. In the mean time DH and I have decided that it is best for us to "start fresh" and get a new stone and engagement ring all together since it''s impossible to really replace the old ring. I was very sad about things for a few weeks now, but I''m finally starting to get excited with the prospect of a beautiful ring!!! We aren''t able to sink a lot of money into the stone since we weren''t expecting to change it so soon, so I''m only going to get the stone a "mini upgrade" to a slightly larger than 1 carat round.

Here are the three I am deciding between:

1) This stone is the one I am leaning towards. Jennifer at JA said is was "one of the most eyeclean SI2''s she''s ever seen" and that it is completely clean from all angles. It is also a nice balance between size, cut quality, and color. This was also her preference for performance in person.

carat weight: 1.11
color: H
clarity: SI2
HCA score: .8 TIC E/E/E/VG
depth: 61.8
table: 55
crown/pavillion: 34.5/40.6
polish/symmetry: EX/EX
flour: faint
diameter: 6.62 X 6.65 X 4.10mm
pre-pricescope discount price: $4810

percentage spread increase from old stone: 19%

2) This one intrigues me because it is a FIC and I suspect that I would really like a FIC in person. In addition, the price is *amazing* because it''s an I1. However, Jennifer said that this stone is eye clean from all angles!!! I like that the stone is an F (although I don''t need this), but the mindclean part of the I1 might bother me. It''s slightly smaller than both the other stones, but the price is so incredible that I feel I must consider this rock. My gut tells me that this stone is special.

carat weight: 1.05
color: F
clarity: I1
HCA score: 1.0 FIC E/E/E/VG
depth: 61.8
table: 58
crown/pavillion: 36/40.4
polish/symmetry: EX/EX
flour: none
diameter: 6.46 X 6.48 X 4.00mm
pre-pricescope discount price: $3850
30.gif

percentage spread increase from old stone: 13%
40.gif

3) I included this stone because it is still in my budget and it is considerably larger in spread than the other two stones, to the point where it would be noticeable to me. I have to admit that this makes a difference to me. However, I think the lack of symmetry might be a mind clean issue for me and the I colored stones in my wedding band are getting warmer by the minute LOL. Jennifer reassured me that this stone is also eye clean from all angles.

carat weight: 1.21
color: I
clarity: SI2
HCA score: 1.3 TIC E/E/E/VG
depth: 62
table: 55
crown/pavillion: 34.5/40.8
polish/symmetry: VG/VG
flour: none
diameter: 6.78 X 6.83 X 4.22mm
pre-pricescope discount price: $4880
percentage spread increase from old stone: 25%
9.gif

I will attach images and ideal scope images for the stones in the upcoming slides.

Thanks a bunch in advance for all of your help!!! I''d never make a big diamond decision without you guys!!!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Image for #1

H97-3PIC.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Image for #2, can you believe this is an I1???!!!

fi1_1.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
image for #3...the symmetry issues are apparent in the picture, how noticeable do you think it would be in person???

ADS-1485PIC.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
ideal scope for #1

H97-3id.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
ideal scope for #2

1107587_Idealscope.JPG

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ideal scope #3 is still on it''s way from Jennifer, I''ll let you know when I have it.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
For me, no question (#2); The F.

Go get it TIGER!

ETA. My reasoning is 1) FIC, 2) F, 3) Don't like inclusion in #1, don't like symmetry in #3. Ohh and 4) its cheaper!
30.gif

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
I would vote #1 or #2 depending on if you think you will not have a problem with the mind clean issue of #2. If no mind clean issues, I vote #2.

(haa haa, my toilet mind makes this reply funny...
25.gif
)

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that 1 or 2 will be the best! Good luck!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 6:56:20 PM
Author: Steel
For me, no question (#2); The F.

Go get it TIGER!

ETA. My reasoning is 1) FIC, 2) F, 3) Don''t like inclusion in #1, don''t like symmetry in #3. Ohh and 4) its cheaper!
30.gif
It''s interesting you don''t like the inclusion in the first stone. I think because the image is bigger it actually looks worse than the I1. Jennifer said that the first one is one of the most eye clean SI2''s she''s ever seen, but that the I1 was also one of the best she''s ever see.... The strong motivators of the FIC and how incredibly cheap the second stone is are definitely making things more complicated!!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 7:02:03 PM
Author: poshpepper
I would vote #1 or #2 depending on if you think you will not have a problem with the mind clean issue of #2. If no mind clean issues, I vote #2.

(haa haa, my toilet mind makes this reply funny...
25.gif
)
I think 1 and 2 are definitely the most beautifully cut. I''m not sure if I''m going to have major mind clean issues with the I1 or not...hmm, would you guys be able to "accept" a beautiful I1?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 7:06:40 PM
Author: mintve
I agree that 1 or 2 will be the best! Good luck!
thanks a bunch mintve!

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
My sweet spot is VS1-2. But for that FIC I wouldn''t hesitate to not get it. Yowza....I love firey stones. Are you sure it''s an I1? It looks sooo good.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 7:29:04 PM
Author: Gothgrrl
My sweet spot is VS1-2. But for that FIC I wouldn''t hesitate to not get it. Yowza....I love firey stones. Are you sure it''s an I1? It looks sooo good.
Yeah...it''s *actually* an I1!!! The funny thing is that this stone was eye clean even though a couple of SI1 stones I was considering were not! Amazing, huh? It may have been misgraded and is actually an SI2, who knows... but even if I don''t buy it, someone should!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is Storm or Regular Guy out there? I'd love to get their opinion since I don't really know that much about FICs!!! Is the 58% table okay?

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh, how did I miss the thread about your setting getting smooshed? What''s going on around these parts, with that happening and Rockzilla''s ring getting stolen? Did the mean ruby lady at Intergem curse us all?!
23.gif

That F stone is pretty cool, if you don''t think the size difference will bug you. But I know nothing about diamonds, just felt like I should chime in on that, since I''m posting in the first place!
9.gif

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 8:19:17 PM
Author: Selkie
Oh my gosh, how did I miss the thread about your setting getting smooshed? What''s going on around these parts, with that happening and Rockzilla''s ring getting stolen? Did the mean ruby lady at Intergem curse us all?!
23.gif

That F stone is pretty cool, if you don''t think the size difference will bug you. But I know nothing about diamonds, just felt like I should chime in on that, since I''m posting in the first place!
9.gif
ROFL!!! And to make matters worse I just discovered a little crack in one of my rubies in my ruby and diamond band!!! (Sorry for the threadjack K!)

K - I am thinking MUST CHECK OUT THE FIC....!!!! You can always trade up later...
9.gif

That is an amazing and rare I1 to get eyeclean! Yay!

Would it be possible to check out #1 and #2 next to each other? Would having them sent to Patrick Davis be a possibility (since he is right here in town and could evaluate and you could also go see a FIC in person??)

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
23.gif

9.gif
Hi Selkie, good to hear from you! I was feeling a little emotional about the ring getting injured, so it was a small thread that many probably missed. I''m feeling a little better now, but still a bit sad about the whole thing. I feel so bad for Rockzilla, isn''t this the second time she''s dealt with ring theft? Scary! I really hope everything works out for her with the insurance company. Luckily I found that things were easier than I expected with insurance!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 8:31:02 PM
Author: :)

23.gif

9.gif
ROFL!!! And to make matters worse I just discovered a little crack in one of my rubies in my ruby and diamond band!!! (Sorry for the threadjack K!)

K - I am thinking MUST CHECK OUT THE FIC....!!!! You can always trade up later...
9.gif

That is an amazing and rare I1 to get eyeclean! Yay!

Would it be possible to check out #1 and #2 next to each other? Would having them sent to Patrick Davis be a possibility (since he is right here in town and could evaluate and you could also go see a FIC in person??)
Hi :), how are you? I''m so sorry to hear about the crack in one of the rubies in your band, that''s awful! Hopefully it won''t take too much $ to repair. I was thinking about you the other day when I saw a news special about price increases on Rubies because of poor labor practices where Burma rubies are mined. I just remember thinking about that lady saying that "Buramese rubies are supposed to have windows"...LOL.

I think it would be a great idea to at the very least get some pictures of the two stones side by side! I don''t want to put a ton of $$ into sending them out here with shipping since the upgrade isn''t that much anyways, but it would be a great idea to compare them. Jennifer said that she much prefered the H/SI2 as a performer...which surprised me because I thought the FIC sounded cool.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Hey :)

32.gif
I'm sorry, that sucks! OK, now I'm obsessively checking my rings for damage!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, K, I understand. Looking at that pic of the damage, I'm amazed you didn't really hurt your hand. I'm interested to hear how your experience with JM's claims process goes, since they're my insurer as well. Sounds good, so far. Are you trading in your radiant? Have you chosen a new setting? I saw you were considering some Danhov's.

Things are going well, I'm planning to hit the Intergem show next weekend, hoping to find a setting for a little blue zircon I got. Plus we're planning a GTG in Mass. while I'm there for xmas. Fun times!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 8:51:56 PM
Yeah, K, I understand. Looking at that pic of the damage, I''m amazed you didn''t really hurt your hand. I''m interested to hear how your experience with JM''s claims process goes, since they''re my insurer as well. Sounds good, so far. Are you trading in your radiant? Have you chosen a new setting? I saw you were considering some Danhov''s.

Things are going well, I''m planning to hit the Intergem show next weekend, hoping to find a setting for a little blue zircon I got. Plus we''re planning a GTG in Mass. while I''m there for xmas. Fun times!
Amazingly, I think the ring saved my hand from getting hurt. My finger was a bit scratched up and torn because I had to pull so hard to get the ring off, but honestly my hand was fine. So far the JM claims process has been very easy. I was at first aprehensive about filling a claim, but they assured me that my rates would not go up. Basically I had to provide them with a signed statement about what happened and the name of the jeweler I would be working with to repair/replace the setting. Then I sent the ring to JA and they assessed the situtation and said that the setting could not be repaired. Next, I think all I have to do is pick the setting and JM pays JA the cost. Very easy, I''ve been pleasantly surprised with how easy things have been.

Yes, I am going to trade in the radiant. DH and I really feel a fresh start would be better and I have to admit that I was captured by the massive sparkle in my 5 stone band from the rounds. I still haven''t decided on which danhov I want. I think I''m going to visit their offices in person to make a better decision. I was able to see the me30 in person (it was amazing), but they didn''t have the me31 at the jeweler I went to in westwood. Hopefully danhov''s offices downtown will have the me31 and I can make a decision!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
KC,

Thanks for thinking of me. Good luck with this one. I''ll share what I can.

1) I like our FIC. Note, though...I did stumble into ours. In the past...when Mara has said she''d go for a TIC over an FIC for balance, I''d lean that way. More recently, as Ellen re-posted this thread...I''m back favoring them.

2) Not sure. On balance...#1 may still be more attractive.

3) I do think you need to know why the I1 is an eye 1. I''m easily influence by Garry...who says those guys really don''t'' make mistakes. This recent issues about things like clouds dulling the diamond and such...do you know why...purportedly, the diamond is graded I1.

4) But...maybe as suggested above...don''t let your curiosity get the best of you. I''ve heard great things about Patrick Davis. Sounds like you''re predisposed based on color at least for #3. Consider eye balling 1 & 2 yourself...and see for yourself.

Best of wishes!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 9:05:57 PM
Author: Regular Guy
KC,

Thanks for thinking of me. Good luck with this one. I''ll share what I can.

1) I like our FIC. Note, though...I did stumble into ours. In the past...when Mara has said she''d go for a TIC over an FIC for balance, I''d lean that way. More recently, as Ellen re-posted this thread...I''m back favoring them.

2) Not sure. On balance...#1 may still be more attractive.

3) I do think you need to know why the I1 is an eye 1. I''m easily influence by Garry...who says those guys really don''t'' make mistakes. This recent issues about things like clouds dulling the diamond and such...do you know why...purportedly, the diamond is graded I1.

4) But...maybe as suggested above...don''t let your curiosity get the best of you. I''ve heard great things about Patrick Davis. Sounds like you''re predisposed based on color at least for #3. Consider eye balling 1 & 2 yourself...and see for yourself.

Best of wishes!
thanks for chiming in RG! This advice is very helpful! Ebree''s thread was a great idea to read. It sounds like there really isn''t a *huge* difference between FICs and TIC''s really, maybe a 5% difference....worth thinking about.

I am especially greatful to comment number 3. I think you are right to suggest asking more about why it is an I1 and what it will to do performance. I merely asked if the stone is eye clean, but this may not be enough! The large clouds may indeed hurt performance.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I vote for the 1.05ct FIC, if the performance is not affected. I love a fiery stone.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 9:21:16 PM
Author: EBree
I vote for the 1.05ct FIC, if the performance is not affected. I love a fiery stone.
Thanks for your vote EBree!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d probably pick #3. A stone with vg symmetry can still have ideal light return. Also, you can''t know for sure that the stone in the photo is not slightly tilted. I''d wait and see the idealscope before making a decision. I wouldn''t go with the smallest one because there isn''t enough size difference, and I1 is out of my comfort zone. If you are upgrading, you should be able to see a difference!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 9:34:01 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I''d probably pick #3. A stone with vg symmetry can still have ideal light return. Also, you can''t know for sure that the stone in the photo is not slightly tilted. I''d wait and see the idealscope before making a decision. I wouldn''t go with the smallest one because there isn''t enough size difference, and I1 is out of my comfort zone. If you are upgrading, you should be able to see a difference!
Hi DS,
I wondered about tilt as well. There are many VG/VG out there that look about the same as an EX/EX. It''s definitely not out of the picture yet because of the size difference, but I''m unsure if I can deal with the color. Originally with my five stone band I was totally comfortable with the I color, but over time I''ve grown to notice it more actually. I''m still fine with it in that band because the stones are small, but I''m not sure I want it for a larger stone. It would be nice to have a bigger size jump though
30.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally understand about the color. If I were you, I would not try to choose between these three if one does not stand out. They''ll get more in, and you may be able to have more G-H SI2 stones to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results