shape
carat
color
clarity

1.01 K?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

E B

Ideal_Rock
How does this look? It scores a 1.8 on the FIC...not sure what that means.

K
SI2 (looks like it could be eye-clean)
6.37 x 6.42 x 3.96mm
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluor: Very Strong Blue
Girdle: T-TK
Depth: 61.9
Table: 57
Crown: 36
Pav: 40.6

What do you think? I'm starting to get a bit frustrated with the search.
40.gif

:)

Brilliant_Rock
FIC = firey ideal cut - crown angle is >35.5 - hang on and I will try to find you a nice link!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you want an FIC? Nothing wrong with them, just asking. And you''d want to make sure the strong fluor isn''t a problem.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 9:29:07 PM
Author: Ellen
Do you want an FIC? Nothing wrong with them, just asking. And you''d want to make sure the strong fluor isn''t a problem.

Ellen,

I don''t know. I''m not sure what the difference is. I have read that they have more fire but less light return for a more "romantic", beautiful look. Is this good or a nice way of saying, "eh"?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 9:23:29 PM
Author:EBree

What do you think? I''m starting to get a bit frustrated with the search.
40.gif
what are you having reservations about? what is making you frustrated?

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 9:32:03 PM
Author: belle

40.gif

Oh, I don''t have many about this diamond (except for the SI2...and perhaps the FIC?) but my search in general has left me empty handed thus far. Every time I find a diamond that looks great, it''s a dud (out of the country, not eye-clean, jeweler has it on hold for a customer). I just wish the perfect diamond was out there now, but I have plenty of time.
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 9:30:18 PM
Author: EBree

Ellen,

I don''t know. I''m not sure what the difference is. I have read that they have more fire but less light return for a more ''romantic'', beautiful look. Is this good or a nice way of saying, ''eh''?
No, it''s just a way to describe it. And TIC, BIC, FIC, they''re all right, for someone. Do you like a lot of fire?

I''ll tell you what, I have a TIC, but it''s extremely firey. There are certain lighting situations though where it mainly puts off white light, and I love it. I love fire, but I personally don''t think I''d want an FIC. I''m not saying this to dissuade you, just trying to give you an idea of what they''d be like. You won''''t have as much white light return. Would that bother you?

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 9:38:37 PM

No, it''s just a way to describe it. And TIC, BIC, FIC, they''re all right, for someone. Do you like a lot of fire?

I''ll tell you what, I have a TIC, but it''s extremely firey. There are certain lighting situations though where it mainly puts off white light, and I love it. I love fire, but I personally don''t think I''d want an FIC. I''m not saying this to dissuade you, just trying to give you an idea of what they''d be like. You won''''t have as much white light return. Would that bother you?

Is white light return the flashes of white light, or what makes the diamond look white? I''m afraid I don''t know much about light return...my previous stone was an ideal, so I didn''t think much about it. I''m assuming fire is the flashes of color, right?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 9:44:10 PM

Is white light return the flashes of white light, or what makes the diamond look white? I''m afraid I don''t know much about light return...my previous stone was an ideal, so I didn''t think much about it. I''m assuming fire is the flashes of color, right?
Yes, I''m speaking of the colored flashes, and white flashes. With a FIC, there wouldn''t be as much white flash, lots of colored.

Were you happy with your last one? Did it seem to have a mix of both?

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 9:49:17 PM
Yes, I''m speaking of the colored flashes, and white flashes. With a FIC, there wouldn''t be as much white flash, lots of colored.

I don''t remember a whole lot of fire in my last stone. I loved the colored flashes, though, when I saw ''em.

So really, what it boils down to, is which kind of flashes you like more? FICs are equal in light return to BICs (though smaller), except with more colored flashes than white? Why do people prefer white flashes to colored? I''d assume fire would be more desirable.

I''m feeling extremely clueless at the moment!
40.gif
2.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 9:53:49 PM

I don''t remember a whole lot of fire in my last stone. I loved the colored flashes, though, when I saw ''em.

So really, what it boils down to, is which kind of flashes you like more? FICs are equal in light return to BICs (though smaller), except with more colored flashes than white? Why do people prefer white flashes to colored? I''d assume fire would be more desirable.

I''m feeling extremely clueless at the moment!
40.gif
2.gif
lol You''ll get there!

Yes, it''s all preference. Some like chocolate, some like vanilla.

BIC''s are almost all white light. FIC''s are mostly fire. TIC''s are a nice mix, and I''d personally go for that, unless you really think you''d love a totally firey stone.

Are you looking online for your stone?

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 10:02:13 PM

Yes, it's all preference. Some like chocolate, some like vanilla.

BIC's are almost all white light. FIC's are mostly fire. TIC's are a nice mix, and I'd personally go for that, unless you really think you'd love a totally firey stone.

I am. I found the above stone at WF for a fabulous price (which might be a bad sign!). Hopefully, it's because it's a K, but it has blue fluor, which I've decided I'd really like (especially in a J or K).

I have a couple other stones lined up, all TICs...but they're all several thousand more.

I do love the idea of a totally firey stone, but since everyone seems to be favoring TICs, the FIC might be something I need to see? I don't mind the fact that it's a bit smaller than a normal 1.01.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 9:35:05 PM

Date: 10/30/2006 9:32:03 PM

40.gif

Oh, I don''t have many about this diamond (except for the SI2...and perhaps the FIC?) but my search in general has left me empty handed thus far. Every time I find a diamond that looks great, it''s a dud (out of the country, not eye-clean, jeweler has it on hold for a customer). I just wish the perfect diamond was out there now, but I have plenty of time.
9.gif
if you want eyeclean, just ask if it is. don''t waste any time and frustration on something that might not be. as far as the fic....well, i just think that is something you are going to have to see for yourself. there is a pretty good chance that if you are not comparing it side by side with your favorite diamond, you won''t notice a big difference, if any. i would just talk to the vendor and see what they say about it.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 10:06:15 PM

BIC''s are almost all white light. FIC''s are mostly fire. TIC''s are a nice mix, and I''d personally go for that, unless you really think you''d love a totally firey stone.

I am. I found the above stone at WF for a fabulous price (which might be a bad sign!). Hopefully, it''s because it''s a K, but it has blue fluor, which I''ve decided I''d really like (especially in a J or K).

I have a couple other stones lined up, all TICs...but they''re all several thousand more.

I do love the idea of a totally firey stone, but since everyone seems to be favoring TICs, the FIC might be something I need to see? I don''t mind the fact that it''s a bit smaller than a normal 1.01.
if it''s from wf, just ask them about it. i would ask brian to talk about it with you. have him explain it. the ''k'' color (with or without fluor) is going to have to be something you embrace, not hide and try to pass off as a colorless stone.
i''m definitely curious about it!

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
This fic, tic, bic stuff has always confused me! HOw do you know if a stone is a bic, fic or tic?

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 10:32:24 PM
Author: jayrenay9
This fic, tic, bic stuff has always confused me! HOw do you know if a stone is a bic, fic or tic?
Um... nevermind. I see I just needed to follow a link!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
read the first two posts in this thread and click on the link.
2.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 10:34:11 PM

Um... nevermind. I see I just needed to follow a link!
2.gif

it should help with some of the confusion.
34.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t even see the article! Thanks, :)!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 10:22:00 PM

if it''s from wf, just ask them about it. i would ask brian to talk about it with you. have him explain it. the ''k'' color (with or without fluor) is going to have to be something you embrace, not hide and try to pass off as a colorless stone.

I''m going to try to call and ask tomorrow morning! I''ll report back with what they say.
1.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 9:30:18 PM

Date: 10/30/2006 9:29:07 PM

Ellen,

I don''t know. I''m not sure what the difference is. I have read that they have more fire but less light return for a more ''romantic'', beautiful look. Is this good or a nice way of saying, ''eh''?
NOOOOOO some of us PREFER them and they are quite coveted!! finding a 1 carat k with flour? that''s quite a stone there!!! as long as the flour isn''t a problem (whichi t likely isn''t) then the flour will help the K color and that nice 36 crown is a find!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 9:49:17 PM

Date: 10/30/2006 9:44:10 PM

not sure if I agree with you there ellen... you get plenty flashes of white and colored light - but the stagnant white light return is reduced - meaning, if you arne''t moving it and it''s just looked at head on... but when you move it around, the scint can be just as good with a fire cut... it just doesn''t look as much like a solid white dot, that''s my interpretation at least!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 11:01:12 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

NOOOOOO some of us PREFER them and they are quite coveted!! finding a 1 carat k with flour? that''s quite a stone there!!! as long as the flour isn''t a problem (whichi t likely isn''t) then the flour will help the K color and that nice 36 crown is a find!

Yay! I was hoping an FIC fan would chime in. What do you like best about them?

And thank you, Ellen, for answering my questions! I appreciate the help quite a bit!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi EBree! I''m not sure if my stone qualifies officially as an FIC but it does have a larger crown angle (35.4) and I''ve been told by the vets on this forum that my stone falls within the FIC range. And girl, lemme tell ya, this stone is red hot FIERY!!! And I''m crazy about it. I''ve *always* wanted a fiery stone....yes, perhaps even more important to me than having a "bright" stone. Flashes of rainbow appeal to me so much more than bright whiteness. It''s such a personal thing. And I actually haven''t noticed that my stone is less bright than it should be...when I hold it under my office desk where it''s pretty darn dark, it glows like a little flashlight. In all sorts of lighting conditions, it''s bright as the dickens and I''ve never once thought, "Hmm, why is my stone not as bright as other people''s?" If anything, mine is "flashier" than most other stones I''ve seen precisely because of all the colors. The one thing is that it seems to *photograph* darker than other people''s stones...but that doesn''t bother me, because in real life to the naked eye, it looks just as sparkly as other people''s well-cut stones.
1.gif

I think a K with strong blue AND FIC is going to be stunning! It''ll be a fireball in candelight, that''s for sure! I think K stones are yummy -- I think of them as candelight colored....very romantic!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 11:21:56 PM

Date: 10/30/2006 11:01:12 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Yay! I was hoping an FIC fan would chime in. What do you like best about them?

And thank you, Ellen, for answering my questions! I appreciate the help quite a bit!
I don''t have an FIC round but I have a funky fire stone! the angles don''t necessarily show white back to my eye in one solidish glare the way bright rounds do, but it doesn''t just show darkness and shadow either... it picks up colors from around the environment...

I was at a store and they had an ideal cut and a leo cut.... she told me to put them both under the counter and it''s true that the leo cut was almost a complete round circle of bright white....but in the light the ''fire'' was very tiny tiny and the ideal was more flashy. My stone is JUST as flashy as the ideal was, but less consistent.... and when I stuck mine under the counter the girl said it looked like an argyle sock. It doesn''t look white but it doesn''t look dark - it pulls color into it.

Now, I don''t have personal experience in living with what garry considers a FIC so you might hope he pipes in here... that''s just my experience! My stone isn''t a round... it''s a funky cut lol But I just know that if I ever do get a round I want something a little deep and a huge crown and a tiny table and very very short lower girdle facets!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
A firey K + a great antique style setting = sheer fabulous
3.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
A well cut FIC has maybe 3-5% less brightness than a TIC - so there is not a huge amount of difference in the overall brightness.

The extra fire should be just percieved in spot lights where there is a lot of fire - but the scintillation / rapidity of sprkle is noticeable when side by side comp''s are done

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 10:22:00 PM
Date: 10/30/2006 10:06:15 PM

I am. I found the above stone at WF for a fabulous price (which might be a bad sign!). Hopefully, it''s because it''s a K, but it has blue fluor, which I''ve decided I''d really like (especially in a J or K).

I have a couple other stones lined up, all TICs...but they''re all several thousand more.

I do love the idea of a totally firey stone, but since everyone seems to be favoring TICs, the FIC might be something I need to see? I don''t mind the fact that it''s a bit smaller than a normal 1.01.

I agree with belle here. A K is still a K even it if faces up "whiter". I can see color in even a well K cut and wouldn''t want to go that Low for my e-ring, however there are a few K owners that have beautiful stones and they are happy, it''s going to be very personal in what your eyes see and what color works for you. I''ll be interested to hear what Brian says too. I would trust his opinion 100%.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2006 7:36:51 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
A well cut FIC has maybe 3-5% less brightness than a TIC - so there is not a huge amount of difference in the overall brightness.

The extra fire should be just percieved in spot lights where there is a lot of fire - but the scintillation / rapidity of sprkle is noticeable when side by side comp''s are done
OK Gary, I''m trying to understand this, as maybe I didn''t totally before? I get that it won''t be overall quite as bright as a TIC. As to scint, a TIC is a mix of white and color. I was under the impression that a FIC gives off almost all color, is that wrong? Does it give off white light too, but just MORE fire, or is it really mostly colored light?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results