shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me accessorize/decide - shoes, jacket, alterations for my dress

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Got a bunch of photos to post, so you lovely ladies can help me make some decisions! Mom and I had a little photo shoot last night, which was the first time I tried my dress on since we got it (got it off the rack at Brides Against Breast Cancer). I had been having some mental reservations, since the only pictures I had of me in it from the day we bought it weren''t very good. So most fears were settled last night, as I did really like it again.

So, I''ll get started first with pictures of the dress...

DSC_0311 copy.jpg

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Closeup of the bodice (haha I promise my neck isn't that long)

DSC_0318 Copy.jpg

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
So, here is question #1: to sweetheart, or not to sweetheart? I can't decide if the straight neckline is too harsh. Here's a little pic, if you can use your imagination a little and just pretend my hand was in the way, to see the shape if it was a sweetheart neckline...

DSC_0319 Copy2.jpg

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Here is a picture of the back, for question #2... the train is rather long, which is certainly beautiful. But the wedding is in a winery cellar - very small family ceremony. We will then be going on an hour-long (max) tour of the winery with a wine tasting, which involves walking around the place (while they switch out the room). Then we will be having dinner in the cellar. Maybe a dance or two, but that''s it. So I can''t decide if I want to keep the train that long. The hem obviously needs to be shortened (see first picture, haha), and if I shortened the train, that''s when I''d have it done. So, to shorten hem or keep it this long?

DSC_0314 Copy2.jpg

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Question #3: what kind of bustle? Here''s a pic from when we bought the dress. The lady that helped us was showing one possible way - this gives you an idea of how long the train is. She picked it up and brought it all the way up to the waist, and it still drags the ground a little. So... this bustle? Double? French? Other?
33.gif

Dresses 038 - Copy.jpg

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Question 1:
I think a sweetheart neckline would look great and softens the neckline.

Question 2:
Since you are having the ceremony then the wine tour, you can always bustle the dress immediately after the ceremony so the train is not in the way during post-ceremony festivities. You can always un-bustle it for photos if you wanted to, but I don''t know how that would affect wrinkles etc... So, no; I think you''ll be fine with the train you have.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Question 3:
IMHO, since you have a simple skirt to your dress, I think a double french bustle would look amazing. I also
think it may solve your long train dragging problem.

Here''s a picture:

dfbustle.jpg

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
ETA:
You can add as many bustle points as needed so your train will NOT drag. Your seamstress will bustle it so it will not drag regardless of traditional, french, etc.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock

Now, on to some more fun stuff! Question #4: jacket/coat! Mom and I went by David''s Bridal today to check out what they had. I''d think about going by bridal shops, but I''d have to order one, and the wedding is this coming January 8. I tried on 2 different things today, which I''ll post pictures of. But I also could look around at some department stores. Or I could also check out some antique places maybe for an antique coat. Not sure how I feel about real fur - if it''s an antique, I might be ok with it. I''m not set on fur though, either. I just need something to keep me somewhat warm/covered when we''re outside taking photos in the mountains... in January.

9.gif

So I need to know if you guys like either of these, or keep looking? (FI isn''t crazy about either of these...)

The bolero, front: (forgive the cell pic)

1121091459.jpg

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
I gotta run and get supper real quick but I''ll be right back!!

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
I personally love the sweetheart neckline and would definitely do it for your dress! I think it softens the whole look of the dress and it looks beautiful.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
OK I''m back! Wow haha I don''t look too happy in those jacket pictures.
3.gif

I didn''t do this on purpose, but I left the most fun question for last! Question #5: shoes!!
9.gif
36.gif
On our first shoe shopping trip a few weeks ago, Mom and I found 3 pairs in DSW shoes, of all places (also our first stop!)... and I love them all. So here are some photos! I would be glad to use all 3 pairs, but I''m not quite sure what to do with the different things we have going on. I definitely am not too particular about if it looks like the typical "bridal" shoe or not (aka not just white - color is ok with me). We are having a reception/party a month or two after the wedding, and I could get another wear out of one of the pairs there too. Not sure what I''ll be wearing yet at that though. So, bring on the ideas! And the critiques... I love shoes and think they''re beatiful, but I am one of the least well-versed people in the world in shoe fashion. I''m the one who buys a pretty pair on sale that ends up being cheap and giving me blisters in 2 hours.
8.gif

On with the pictures...

Pair #1: Ann Marino ivory... gorgeous... very bridal (which isn''t bad)... yummy yum yum
18.gif
They feel fine on right now, but I''ve had many shoes deceive me before, after having them on for 3 hours into a wedding, then taking 3 weeks to heal. Might need to get some heel cushions just in case, and be prepared this time (since it is my own wedding and all
3.gif
).

Here''s the link: http://www.dsw.com/dsw_shoes/catalog/product.jsp?index=5&sort=&category=&prodId=196603&brand=300026 (I just saw on here that they have it in purple too!!!!)

white shoes 23456.JPG

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
The white shoes are very pretty and the purple ones look beautiful too. I think that since you mentioned you will be walking around the winery for an hour the purple ones may be better.. the white ones could be brown by the time you get back to dinner!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
OK, don''t laugh... we saw some purple ones similar to this and were kind of liking them because they were different and would offer a lot of support. But they didn''t have my size. Then we saw these. I thought they were the weirdest thing ever... just not something I usually would ever go for. But I tried them on just for the heck of it. And they were one of THE most comfortable pairs of heels I have EVER had on. SERIOUSLY. So lightweight, supportive, easy to wear... it''s crazy. Are these crazy??

I thought I might could wear them for our 2-3 hours of walking around the grounds (it''s at an estate with expansive places to walk around and do photos against the mountains and such) since they''re so comfortable. And they were on sale - a great buy. Plus the heel is bigger, so it''d be more supportive for all that walking around, and wouldn''t sink into the ground as much as the first two (we''ll be on grass/dirt for a lot of the outdoor photos).

Pair #3: black strappy... don''t have the brand name on me... can''t decide if I think they''re fun and unique, or kind of biker-ish and something I shouldn''t put with the wedding dress and maybe save for something different (not that biker-ish is bad... just dunno if it''s too much blending of lines for this occasion)

black shoes 23456.JPG

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Pair #3 on me (feel free to call me crazy, I can take it
37.gif
- they''re just so comfortable!)

black shoes 12345.JPG

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Well that''s all I''ve got for now... hopefully you ladies can shoot some great ideas/advice my way!
35.gif

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2009 5:16:16 PM
Author: BeachRunner
Question 3:
IMHO, since you have a simple skirt to your dress, I think a double french bustle would look amazing. I also
think it may solve your long train dragging problem.

Here''s a picture:
Beachrunner - thanks so much for your input!! I think that bustle you posted is soooo gorgeous.

I need to find a good seamstress, since I didn''t get my dress at a bridal salon. Anybody have good suggestions on where to begin a search for a reputable one?

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2009 6:12:43 PM
Author: Lilac
I personally love the sweetheart neckline and would definitely do it for your dress! I think it softens the whole look of the dress and it looks beautiful.
Thanks Lilac! Haha I''m just glad you guys can at least get an idea from that picture!

That makes 2 votes for the sweetheart!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2009 8:12:08 PM
Author: hawaiianorangetree
The white shoes are very pretty and the purple ones look beautiful too. I think that since you mentioned you will be walking around the winery for an hour the purple ones may be better.. the white ones could be brown by the time you get back to dinner!
Very good point hawaiian - thanks! I never thought about that... but the cellar hallways and everything are definitely stone and dirt. Haha I need to remember to lift up the dress!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Here''s one more pic I''ll leave ya with, since it is PS and all
2.gif

DSC_0348 - Copy.JPG

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Forgot I had a photo of the heel height comparisons... pretty much the same, except the black one looks to be a tiny bit higher. Any differences I should watch out for?

DSC_0361 - Copy.JPG

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
Question 1: i think you could go either way. the straight neckline is nice, but the sweetheart is very lovely too! i'd lean slightly toward sweetheart... ETA: no, no: go sweetheart. it compliments your shoulders & face shape a bit nicer!

Question 2: leave the train; it's gorgeous & you can bustle after the ceremony!

Question 3: i'm not a bustle expert but i
30.gif
30.gif
the double french bustle beachrunner posted, so i vote for that!

Question 4: of these two, i like the second one (especially sweet for a january wedding) but i vote for keep looking i think something better is out there. for me, the first one is a little too structured & plain.

Question 5: i vote for shoe #1 (with #2 being a close runner up)--you really couldn't go wrong w/#1 or #2

btw, your dress is beautiful; i love the detailing on the bodice!

Dogmom

Shiny_Rock
Wow, your dress is gorgeous! I''ve always been a fan of sweetheart necklines, and I think the double french bustle would look great. I''m not crazy about the bolero, but the cape looks lovely and romantic for a winter wedding in the mountains. Have you checked out SRI Warehouse for shoes? They have a huge selection at discount prices, as well. The purple shoes rock!

Now I''ll recognize you next time you visit work
35.gif

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE your dress!
30.gif
I think a sweetheart neckline would look very nice, but honestly even if you left it as is, it is gorgeous.

Personally, I feel the train is a bit long. I would shorten it just a bit, then I would do a creative bustle, just because I''ve never been a fan of the american bustle.

I''m not sure either of those jackets do your beautiful dress justice. I think you should keep looking.

I really love the white shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results