shape
carat
color
clarity

Help/Ideas for 6-prong, high profile, 3-stone setting.

jjca

Rough_Rock
Please help with examples or ideas for a 3-stone ring with a 6-prong, high-profile setting for the center stone. Would love to see the side profile. All the examples I find online are more lower profile or have only 4 prongs for the center stone. I really want 6 prongs to make sure the stone is secure. Center will be 1.3 and sides .3 each. Thanks so much! for

bee24

Rough_Rock
Have you looked at these threads? I am in the process of making a three stone also and these threads were helpful!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This ring from Whiteflash is the first one that comes to mind with a six prong center. Most three stone rings do feature a four prong center. You can always have something made too - I think of David Klass for that kind of project.

jjca

Rough_Rock
This ring from Whiteflash is the first one that comes to mind with a six prong center. Most three stone rings do feature a four prong center. You can always have something made too - I think of David Klass for that kind of project.

Thanks! Your ring is gorgeous!

ksage92

Rough_Rock
The ring in my profile pic has 6 prongs on the center stone and I've included a side shot -- made by David Klass. DJKPV_1220_WS-3.jpeg

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you say high profile, how high do you want? Are the examples posted generally what you are looking for? Or do you want something higher? I'm just sure what you are looking for. Do you have any examples of a 4 prong that you would like with 6 prongs?

jjca

Rough_Rock
When you say high profile, how high do you want? Are the examples posted generally what you are looking for? Or do you want something higher? I'm just sure what you are looking for. Do you have any examples of a 4 prong that you would like with 6 prongs?

My previous ring had a very high center stone - and I really liked the look of it. It was a 1 ct 6 prong center with .3 on each side.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My previous ring had a very high center stone - and I really liked the look of it. It was a 1 ct 6 prong center with .3 on each side.

Post pictures so we can see what you are talking about.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dreamer_D

Can you tell me the sizes of your stones? It has nice proportions.

Frenchieglitter

Rough_Rock
LOL ok that made me jump a little! Beautiful ring, looks like that little guy was trying to steal it!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So are you looking for a stock setting or going custom? I don't think you have said. If custom, then you can have the center set at the height you want once you find the style that you like.

jjca

Rough_Rock
I think I'll have to go custom, haven't found anything I like with a center elevated enough for my liking.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I'll have to go custom, haven't found anything I like with a center elevated enough for my liking.

Okay, well then figure out what kind of setting you like best and talk to the jeweler you use about raising the center and what they may have to tweak to do that. That's my only suggestion.

jjca

Rough_Rock
Here's the initial rendering. I'm so excited!
I asked them to raise the center to 7.5 mm to give a little more of a height difference between the sides and center. I also want to makes sure that when they close the prongs, there is not a gap between the center prongs and the side stones. The FormalCAD.jpg Center is 7mm (1.3 ct) and each side is 4.3mm (.3 ct). It very closely resembles my engagement ring. Waiting for updated images with new heights...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you like the basket design of the center stone?

jjca

Rough_Rock

I actually did want 6 prongs,
I won't take it off very often - and I like the added protection of the 6 prongs. I am a pretty "plain" jewelry kind of girl - but I do feel that they are maybe too thick/heavy for the delicacy of the band? I feel like they may be heavy, proportionally. Here's my original e-ring and I did want to keep it similar.
I'm open to suggestions.... I know it is not for everyone - but I wanted it to sit higher and I also wanted 6 prongs.

Attachments

• IMG_7320 2.PNG
    IMG_7320 2.PNG
    750.1 KB · Views: 5

jjca

Rough_Rock

I have no eye for something I can't physically see/try on - but I couldn't find a single 3 stone that sat high enough (that wasn't super fancy). We're talking again on Monday, I think - and I did mention that I thought it was too heavy - I will get to see a wax mold - but I know at that time they won't want much tweaking. Do you think it's too much?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The height is fine! My three stone has a higher center like that and it’s just fine. The shape of the prongs look like a standard peg head and I wondered if maybe you might prefer a more fluid or graceful design for the center stone basket.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine has six prongs and looks swoopy like this. But there are a million different basket styles obviously.

IMG_0695.jpeg

Tiffany six prong baskets look like this.

1711666178241.png

Here is a very stylized basket. As I said, there are a million versions.

1711666321778.png

The prongs on your CAD look very blocky and remind me of a stock peg head made by casting companies. Which may very well be what it is. But you might ask about other options. And consider adding a donut, a rounded area where the basket meets the shank, which I always find elegant.

jjca

Rough_Rock
Mine has six prongs and looks swoopy like this. But there are a million different basket styles obviously.

IMG_0695.jpeg

Tiffany six prong baskets look like this.

1711666178241.png

Here is a very stylized basket. As I said, there are a million versions.

1711666321778.png

The prongs on your CAD look very blocky and remind me of a stock peg head made by casting companies. Which may very well be what it is. But you might ask about other options. And consider adding a donut, a rounded area where the basket meets the shank, which I always find elegant.

Thanks I really like the one in the middle and shared that with my designer. I want 6 prongs. But more delicate… thanks for sharing!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not liking the pronged center stone combined with baskets for the sides. Looks like a mismatch (or peg head stuck in
the center) instead of a custom ring. I think you should stick with all the same kinds of heads on the ring (sides dont have to
have the same number of prongs as center or same height), whether it be all baskets or all pronged.

I also look at David Klass's IG pics to find examples of things I like. Here is a link to his page. You can go through and look
for 3 stone rings that you like.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not liking the pronged center stone combined with baskets for the sides. Looks like a mismatch (or peg head stuck in
the center) instead of a custom ring. I think you should stick with all the same kinds of heads on the ring (sides dont have to
have the same number of prongs as center or same height), whether it be all baskets or all pronged.

I was going to say the exact same thing. The head of the center doesn't seem to go well with the baskets of the sides. I think all three stones should have the same kind of head/settings. It makes it look stuck together instead of a cohesive piece. Did you ask for them to be different?

jjca

Rough_Rock
It's similar to what I had before. I haven't found anything I really like with the center stone sitting higher than the sides and also 6 prong. It's very similar to my original Ering. I don't want anything too fancy or swirly but when we met to design it, I didn't see anything in their system I really cared for, either. They are closed until Monday - so I'd like to find one I like before we talk again. I really want my center to sit higher. It's hard to find side shots...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You could just request similar baskets for all three stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results