shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Finding Padparadscha (Or Spinel) for E-Ring

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Acinom said:
Not sure whether you had already seen this from Jim? Just over 2 cts and slightly over 1.000$ but perhaps he can give you his best price.

That's a good idea, to explain the sitauation and ask him for his best price. OP, you can do the same with the other spinel from him that you inquired about before:

ejacobson|1428511945|3858654 said:
He has the same padparadscha spinel listed that I inquired about over a month ago, but it's $1000. :((

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1428768315|3860402 said:
Acinom said:
Not sure whether you had already seen this from Jim? Just over 2 cts and slightly over 1.000$ but perhaps he can give you his best price.

That's a good idea, to explain the sitauation and ask him for his best price. OP, you can do the same with the other spinel from him that you inquired about before:

He has the same padparadscha spinel listed that I inquired about over a month ago, but it's $1000. :((

LK: isn't that the same one that acinom just linked to?

austinj

Shiny_Rock
And here's another! I swear I'm not even looking for stones for you they just keep popping up. Looks very brown in picture but the description says it looks better than that and the video is also different. May be an option?

_28974.jpg

_28975.jpg

_28976.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Huge difference between the stone's appearance in photo and in video.

austinj

Shiny_Rock
Yes it's definitely one a person would want to see lots of pictures in different lights that's for sure!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1428788454|3860531 said:
LoversKites|1428768315|3860402 said:
Acinom said:

LK: isn't that the same one that acinom just linked to?

Nope, I linked to this one before:
http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/star-star-sold-star-star-1-dot-70-ct-padparadscha-colored-spinel-with-video

Its sold now.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gotcha, LK. On a side note, rather than leave his listings up with a SOLD designation on it cluttering up LT, I sure wish he would remove his items when they sell, like most other vendors/users.

ejacobson

Rough_Rock
Austinj, I saw that stone, and the video...the vendor uses that video for a variety of sapphires, which makes me leery.

I saw both of the pinky-orange spinels on LT from Mr. McCormick, and they are both at the highest end of my budget, leaving no room for a setting.

So this is a bit far from my original plans, but I came across a Malaya color change garnet on Ebay that I think I really enjoy. I'm afraid of posting the link for fear of lurkers buying the stone from under me....but I want other PSers to weigh in on the cut, color, etc. of the stone AND the video. How do I link the video without revealing the vendor?

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
ejacobson|1428897431|3861094 said:
Austinj, I saw that stone, and the video...the vendor uses that video for a variety of sapphires, which makes me leery.

I saw both of the pinky-orange spinels on LT from Mr. McCormick, and they are both at the highest end of my budget, leaving no room for a setting.

So this is a bit far from my original plans, but I came across a Malaya color change garnet on Ebay that I think I really enjoy. I'm afraid of posting the link for fear of lurkers buying the stone from under me....but I want other PSers to weigh in on the cut, color, etc. of the stone AND the video. How do I link the video without revealing the vendor?

Either put it on hold and link it (best way to keep it safe), or save the photos and upload them here and tell us what the listing says. Chances are we will easily recognise the vendor based on the photography and be able to find the video by our selves. I already think I know who the vendor is, tbh.

ejacobson

Rough_Rock
Sadly, it took me aWHILE to figure out how to do this.

Lovers kites, I still have no idea how to put something "on hold" on Ebay. I imagine you will probably immediately know who this vendor is.

So, what do you guys think of this 2.68 carat custom cut color-change Malaya garnet?

Weight - 2.68ct
Size - 9.15 x 8.13 x 5.41 mm
Clarity - VS - Eye Clean
Origin - Tanzania
No treatments

The vendor agreed to give me his best price of $350.

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts. The one downside is that it's a custom cut, so it will require a custom setting.

The stone flashes a beautiful bright, fiery red when a flashlight is shone on it. Is this mimicking indoor lighting?

ps04288.jpg

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ejacobson|1430604285|3871298 said:
* * * So, what do you guys think of this 2.68 carat custom cut color-change Malaya garnet?

Weight - 2.68ct
Clarity - VS - Eye Clean
Origin - Tanzania
No treatments

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts. The one downside is that it's a custom cut, so it will require a custom setting.
The stone flashes a beautiful bright, fiery red when a flashlight is shone on it. Is this mimicking indoor lighting?
Just so you know... "custom cut" with that vendor does not mean that the stone will require a custom setting (most colored stones do because they aren't often cut to fit into stock, calibrated settings from, e.g., Stuller). I think it's his way of indicating the cut is not great; premium and precision seem to be the adjectives he uses for his better cut stones.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock

Lovers kites, I still have no idea how to put something "on hold" on Ebay. I imagine you will probably immediately know who this vendor is.

So, what do you guys think of this 2.68 carat custom cut color-change Malaya garnet?

Weight - 2.68ct
Clarity - VS - Eye Clean
Origin - Tanzania
No treatments

True, "custom cut" does not necessarily = custom setting, in this case however, you are correct, 9x8 is not a calibrated size.

It all depends on what kind of lightbulb is in the flashlight, many are LED now. If it shines very red though, it sounds like incandescent. The only way you will ever know is to see it in person!

ejacobson

Rough_Rock
PieAreSquared: Thank you for the clarification. I contacted the vendor, who told me that it would require a custom setting, and I assumed that "custom cut" always = custom setting. Good to know if I choose another stone.

MollyMalone: I checked out JuliaB's ring but am not in love with it. I am looking for a white gold setting, and I am somewhat picky about it. But thank you for pointing me to her sale. I will take some time to browse her rings and see what else she has. And while that color change garnet IS different from my original pinky-peach idea, I think I'm trying to broaden my taste to have a higher chance of finding something I love within my budget.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While this is close to the budget for the whole ring, perhaps a cheaper setting upfront could be upgraded later (easier to do so with a setting, than a very particular colour of stone): http://atggems.com/Photos_Spinel.htm

"B - A wonderfully colored Padparadscha Burmese Spinel weighing 1.32cts; unique and beautiful. If this were a Sapphire, there is no doubt it would cert as a Pad! Photo doesn't do this piece justice. It is a true Pad color without the other strong colors shown in the photo. (ndcc-15-01) $2,580"

ejacobson

Rough_Rock
Hi NKOTB, that is a lovely stone; unfortunately, our budget was decreased to $1,000 for stone + setting. :(

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh! Sorry, I missed that. I'll keep an eye out!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

Weight - 2.68ct
Clarity - VS - Eye Clean
Origin - Tanzania
No treatments

You can put it on hold by asking the vendor to, they often will.

I am not a fan of that stone. It came up on PS before. It has a lot of brown, far from pad colour. The flashlight looks like it emits incandescent light which is necessary to show the shift -- I don't know which light bulbs are used where you live. Garnets are also softer than spinel and corundum and will require more care. On the other hand, it is in budget and well cut. I wouldn't go for it, personally.

PS -- I knew you were going to post this stone when you said you might've found something. My gut feel was right. ;-)

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

austinj

Shiny_Rock
Yes and I forgot she wants cushion cut! I do still like the wild fish stone though even though it's an iron stain. I thought it looked pretty. Did anyone mention the big orange peach spinel on Jeff Davies site? I can't recall. It's right at the brink of the budget but maybe he can give a better price? I haven't bought from him before so I don't know much about his workings.

http://jefferydavies.com/inventory/product/413-9137-spinel-2-91ct

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ejacobson|1430616579|3871370 said:
MollyMalone: I checked out JuliaB's ring but am not in love with it. I am looking for a white gold setting, and I am somewhat picky about it. But thank you for pointing me to her sale. I will take some time to browse her rings and see what else she has. And while that color change garnet IS different from my original pinky-peach idea, I think I'm trying to broaden my taste to have a higher chance of finding something I love within my budget.
Good to know about the white gold (and my apologies if you mentioned that earlier & it escaped my attention).

Would you help us get an even better handle on the budget for a stone, I.e., will you be content with a solitaire mounting -- which will mean you can spend more of the $1000 budget on the stone -- or are you hoping for at least some diamond accent stones, if not a halo? And now that we know you are not wedded to a pinky-peach, what other colors might be in the running, e.g., more of a pure pink, oranges, etc.? And what hold no appeal to you?

Also, are you amenable to a preloved (second-hand) ring or semi-mount; if so, it would be useful to us to know your ring size :))

ejacobson

Rough_Rock
I agree with Marlow (and, I believe, LK) that the WF gem is overpriced. I have read many things on PS about the vendor and how overpriced the stones are, and even as a very untrained newbie I feel astounded by the prices on the WF website.

The 1 carat MC stone is a beautiful shape (it says oval, but looks a little more cushion-y to me). The color even looks nice to me, but it says it's pinky-purple, which I'm not into. I would have to see it in person.

I don't really want a solitaire; I'm leaning more towards a halo. I know the budget seems lean for that (and I agree that it is), but my plan would be to find a cheaper stone and go with a LOGR setting until we are in a better position to upgrade. I am pretty set on WG, *maybe* RG if it was the right match with the stone.

I think I would be able to baby a garnet enough to keep it in good shape--at least I hope so. I was hoping that a halo would be a little more protective.

I am not as picky on the shape. Cushion is what I want, but I realize I have to give somewhere. Ultimately I would be fine with oval, round, cushion, or even something like a fat pear.

As far as expanding my color selection: I love the peachy pinks, and peachy colors. I am not a bubblegum pink girl, and I don't like pinky-purple. The garnet that I posted was a mauve-y with flashes of melon to me, which I liked (and I love the fiery red, although I don't see myself wanting a straight red stone, like a red spinel). I enjoy stones with a color shift to them, or flashes of different color, but I'm not a huge fan of zoning. I don't want brown, and I really like things on the less saturated side (though I am more open on saturation). The Jeffery Davies peachy orange spinel seems so brown to me--does anyone else agree?

I am DEFINITELY open to something preloved. I believe my ring is 7-7.5.

Thank you to all who are helping me. It means a lot! :saint: :saint:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even LOGR is quite expensive these days. Would you consider getting the stone only now, then getting the halo setting later? Your budget is tight as it is and in trying to do it all, even with a budget setting, will make the search not only more challenging but could take months to find the right stone.

austinj

Shiny_Rock
Although I do believe that, after reading every article I could find that Ed has written, he has his good reasons for pricing his stones the way he does, I do understand that people may not want to pay the extra. He will continue to be one of my favorite vendors though :).

An idea. When I was talking to my jeweler, he said that he takes in scrap gold, and that many families were helping out the soon to be weds by donating their old gold jewelry that they never wear or broken chains ect. To go to the cost of the rings! Not everyone will do this probably but it may be worth looking into?? I hope you find something you love!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ejacobson|1430711084|3871765 said:
I agree with Marlow (and, I believe, LK) that the WF gem is overpriced. I have read many things on PS about the vendor and how overpriced the stones are, and even as a very untrained newbie I feel astounded by the prices on the WF website.

As someone who has been collecting for decades, I feel the same way. :roll:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1430664864|3871522 said:
1 carat for 170 $

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?76294290

1,32 ct for 220 $

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?1188669823

Only some examples...

700 for a small Sri Lanka spinel (0,85 ct) with iron stains ( the orange hue) is far to expensive - paid less then 100$ for larger stones from Tan's Ebay stores.

Right? I could compare some of Tan's stones to other higher priced vendors selling native cut stones, and Tan's prices are so reasonable. You just need to be careful and wait for the right stone. But.......I noticed Tan has raised his prices considerably for his nicer spinels in the last few weeks. Maybe the salad days are over.......................

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I agree with LisaRN.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LisaRN|1430778293|3872134 said:
Marlow|1430664864|3871522 said:
1 carat for 170 $

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?76294290

1,32 ct for 220 $

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?1188669823

Only some examples...

700 for a small Sri Lanka spinel (0,85 ct) with iron stains ( the orange hue) is far to expensive - paid less then 100$ for larger stones from Tan's Ebay stores.

Right? I could compare some of Tan's stones to other higher priced vendors selling native cut stones, and Tan's prices are so reasonable. You just need to be careful and wait for the right stone. But.......I noticed Tan has raised his prices considerably for his nicer spinels in the last few weeks. Maybe the salad days are over.......................

I agree, but its not just Tan, and it feels to me like the price increases have not, unfortunately, been limited to the last few weeks. It seems that more and more people are heading off the beaten path of diamonds and corundum and trying out others, particularly spinel, with the end result being higher prices all around. :(sad

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results