shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Finding Padparadscha (Or Spinel) for E-Ring

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or this pink/orange sapphire from Jeff Davies. Please note the description on the certificate says pink/brown.
Price is 675 $ for the stone but tell Jeff you are a Pricescoper and whether he can give you his 'best price'.
You may also ask Jeff whether he has other stones that meet your criteria. He has a great supply and he is a respected PS vendor.

http://youtu.be/h344pLQtDn4

_28718.jpg

_28719.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pink sapphire from trusted vendor Mastercutgems. Bubblegum color, but it does have a window. According to the description the window might close a bit once set in a ring.

Price: 300.00 (
Origin: Sri Lanka
Weight: 1.12 ct
Size: 7.1 X 5.1 mm
Clarity VS
Cut: oval
Color: bubblegum pink
Treatment: basic heat if anything

_28720.jpg

_28721.jpg

_28722.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites just posted this in the 'buy this stone' thread:

LoversKites|1428489056|3858455 said:
This is a nice, budget friendly medium purplish/pinkish spinel. 2 carats and a well cut round which is not common.

6.9mm (faces up a bit small)
Colour description is "Medium Red-Purple Or Purple-Red [Pink]"
Eye clean to slightly included according to the vendor, but I think it's eye clean based on the image
Tanzania
about $225

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?-1473658873

_28728.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Ha Acinom (btw, I still have trouble spelling your username), I was looking at MC for pad-like spinel but I couldn't find anything that was orangey without being brown, too saturated, or too light for what OP seems to like. On the way I saw that spinel but decided not to post it here because it's quite purple and not orangey. However, maybe OP will like it so thanks for posting it here.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good call on the MC round spinel; remember that MC's photography is a bit better than than IRL so once that is accounted for, I think it'll be more in line with what the OP is looking for (other than the hue leaning towards purple rather than orange).

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1428492686|3858481 said:
Good call on the MC round spinel; remember that MC's photography is a bit better than than IRL so once that is accounted for, I think it'll be more in line with what the OP is looking for (other than the hue leaning towards purple rather than orange).

I hope so for OP's sake.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1428496728|3858510 said:
Chrono|1428492686|3858481 said:

I hope so for OP's sake.

Me too! OP is broadening her color horizon, so...

ejacobson

Rough_Rock
You guys are so helpful! I feel like I've been scouring the internet, and you keep coming up with things I have yet to see!

Jim McCormick's Malaia garnet is pretty, but is garnet suitable for an engagement ring? It's a bit too red for me, but I would consider it.

I was very hopeful for the Jeff Davies' sapphire; the stone doesn't look that great in the video (at least, it's the not color I was looking for). Does anyone know why the stone looks kind of lifeless (to my very untrained eye)?

I can contact Jeff Davies and ask if he has more of what I'm looking for. I was shocked to see an unheated sapphire at that weight for such a good price!

Re: the MC spinel--it's a bit too purple/red for me.

Keep 'em coming. I am going to email Jim McCormick and ask him if he has anything else that fits the bill. He has the same padparadscha spinel listed that I inquired about over a month ago, but it's $1000. :((

ejacobson

Rough_Rock
Oh, Acinom: thank you for your suggestion too. I would prefer to keep it more peach than bubblegum pinky like that stone.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
ejacobson|1428511945|3858654 said:
I was very hopeful for the Jeff Davies' sapphire; the stone doesn't look that great in the video (at least, it's the not color I was looking for). Does anyone know why the stone looks kind of lifeless (to my very untrained eye)?

I can contact Jeff Davies and ask if he has more of what I'm looking for. I was shocked to see an unheated sapphire at that weight for such a good price!

The price is low because of the brown modifier, in addition to the fact that most of his stones are reasonably priced. What do you mean by lifeless? And contacting him may be a good idea.

ejacobson

Rough_Rock
Loverskites: The stone just doesn't seem very sparkly. Is it the lighting? Or maybe the brown in it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is the style of photography. It looks to be precision cut.

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
(1) Garnet hardness: It would definitely have to be worn with care, but there are some PS'ers with Garnet e-rings.

(2) I don't think that JD's video was done in super bright lighting, which may explain your perception that it's lifeless. It's hard sometimes to evaluate stones based on photos and video alone.

(3) Here's another option (spinel) from Pearlman's Jewelers that is described as "peach". You will have to inquire directly with them regarding the accuracy of the picture/color. I do not believe they have the stone in-house, but they would be able to describe it for you better and maybe even take a video for you. It's cushion-cut, sizeable, looks well cut, and is described as peach. Unfortunately, it would not leave you a lot of money for a setting.

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?type=spinel&shape=cushion&color=peach&minct=&maxct=3&min=&max=&sku=

spinel_7.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Regarding the lifelessness, it's the same cut as my demantoid from him and mine sparkles tons. But demantoid has a significantly higher RI. Still, I think it'd sparkle IRL nicely for sapphire.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
ejacobson|1428513694|3858682 said:
Loverskites: The stone just doesn't seem very sparkly. Is it the lighting? Or maybe the brown in it?

Yes, it looks like he is using diffused lights, so you are not getting 'flashes' of light back at ya. But in the photos and video, the color also seems a little grayish or brownish.

ejacobson

Rough_Rock
LoversKites and PieAreSquared, thank you. I think it's one of those things I would have to see IRL to assess? Regardless, I will contact Mr. Davies.

Because I haven't seen any spinel in real life, it would probably be best for me to see some. Intergem doesn't come to NorCal until May 29th, from what I've found. Does anyone have suggestions for jewelers/loose stone vendors in Sacramento or San Francisco?

I sent a message to the Pearlman's website inquiring about the color of the cushion spinel, as well as whether they could provide a video.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
ejacobson|1428529208|3858868 said:
LoversKites and PieAreSquared, thank you. I think it's one of those things I would have to see IRL to assess? Regardless, I will contact Mr. Davies.

Both the photo and the description lean towards purplish pink, the cool end of the pink spectrum. It's unlikely that it will be orangey pink, which is the warm end of the pink spectrum, except maybe under incandescent light. Whether you can tolerate that would have to be assessed IRL.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This stone has been on Jeff White's site for a while. I am a bit worried about the handshot. Perhaps the experts can shine their light on this.

_28818.jpg

_28819.jpg

_28820.jpg

ejacobson

Rough_Rock
Acing, I've been eyeing that one as well, and I fear it would disappear on my hand as well. My complexion is fairly light. I'd love to hear what others think.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the jewelers/gem sources I contacted.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
Many people fall in love with the peachy stones then see it on their hand and think it will "blend in" too much.
Unless it is superglued to your finger, or set in flesh tone gold, it won't disappear.
If you plan on setting it in white metal, or have diamonds around (sorry I can't remember) there will be visual separation between it and your skin color. Whether you like the color with your skin tone will be another matter you can only determine once you see it.

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
Only you can judge whether you feel the stone "disappears" on your hand. Make sure you try the stone with a ring holder (careful not to chip it) to get a more accurate sense of how it will look set.

Given your stated budget, I'm pretty sure a halo is not an option. It's also possible that a bezel will be out of budget, so if you don't like the stone in the ring-holder as a "solitaire", don't keep it. Hope that helps.

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi,

The 1.43ct JD pink brown Sapphire isn't available, it was recently set into an engagement ring he made for a friend of mine. It is very sparkly, but again, not available.

Good luck on your search!

austinj

Shiny_Rock
Here's a way different one but the price is ok! I actually was thinking of buying it a while ago but didn't because of funds. Different shape but I love the light orange color. Something different to consider anyways.

_28865.jpg

austinj

Shiny_Rock
Sorry my picture didn't turn out let's try again!

_28867.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure whether you had already seen this from Jim? Just over 2 cts and slightly over 1.000$ but perhaps he can give you his best price.

_28894.jpg

_28895.jpg

_28896.jpg

_28897.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The description:

_28898.jpg

_28899.jpg

_28900.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results