carat
color
clarity

Help Finding Padparadscha (Or Spinel) for E-Ring

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1423056025|3827141 said:
See anything here that you love? He seems to have quite a few options.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PristineGemstones?section_id=7867925&ref=shopsection_leftnav_6

I would request AGL lab briefs on those before purchasing. Most are sapphires. For the price, an AGL lab brief is the most economical and safest choice.

I don't know if he would make the sale pending on that. He sends the gems out to a third party appraiser when over $1800, which doesn't sit as well wit me. I would ask about the AGL lab brief.

ejacobson

Rough_Rock
TL & Sparklies,

That is the vendor from whom I purchased the original pad (see my other thread "Need Help with Etsy Padparadscha"). It has cost me almost $50 to have the stone shipped to me and returned, so I will certainly not be purchasing from them again. Also, as many PSers have pointed out, there are some things that don't sit well with me about the stone and I am reluctant to spend my money with that particular vendor.

Sparklies, I have had my eye on those peachy Gem Fix spinels, in particular the one you posted. I have been thinking about emailing to ask for a video of the spinel. It would be a close second choice, color-wise (at least I think, from the photograph).

S

SparkliesLuver

ejacobson said:
TL & Sparklies,

That is the vendor from whom I purchased the original pad (see my other thread "Need Help with Etsy Padparadscha"). It has cost me almost $50 to have the stone shipped to me and returned, so I will certainly not be purchasing from them again. Also, as many PSers have pointed out, there are some things that don't sit well with me about the stone and I am reluctant to spend my money with that particular vendor.

Sparklies, I have had my eye on those peachy Gem Fix spinels, in particular the one you posted. I have been thinking about emailing to ask for a video of the spinel. It would be a close second choice, color-wise (at least I think, from the photograph).

Completely understand. Ignore my link then! ;-)

I wondered if any of them had really caught your eye. I know they're in AZ until early next week, but it'd surely be worth an email. However, I don't think they do any additional pictures or video - they encourage you to order them and see them IRL....I believe. Might be worth a chance though.

ejacobson

Rough_Rock
Bex,THANK YOU for posting that. What a difference between the vendor and customer photos--wow! I have seen those peachy spinels for months now, and I'm happy I saved the time and money knowing that they're likely to turn out much darker and pinker in person.

S

SparkliesLuver

I get that this may be different IRL, but I thought it was worth mentioning...

Extremely rare uniquely colored Montana sapphire! In daylight, champagne color, peach under incandescent light. Bright and flashy, excellent cut and clarity. Exceptional.

1.94cts
7.3x6.5mm, depth 4.9mm
No treatment
$2,950 (within budget!)
http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_montana.html
(second row, second column)

sapphire_montana_508_a.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
SparkliesLuver said:
I get that this may be different IRL, but I thought it was worth mentioning...

Extremely rare uniquely colored Montana sapphire! In daylight, champagne color, peach under incandescent light. Bright and flashy, excellent cut and clarity. Exceptional.

1.94cts
7.3x6.5mm, depth 4.9mm
No treatment
$2,950 (within budget!)
http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_montana.html
(second row, second column)

My concern would be the 'champagne' description because that means brown. I'm sure its a shifty little thing that has some pink too, and if OP doesn't mind brown, its an option.

S

SparkliesLuver

Ah, okay. Good call, LK. :oops:

ejacobson

Rough_Rock
TL, thanks for pointing out that a "champagne" descriptor may indicate brown. I had no idea.

It's too bad that the GemFix peachy spinel is so dark. I have had my eye on them.

Anyone else have any suggestions for pad spinels or peachy pink sapphires? I saw the Finewater Pad that someone else had posted and I am SO jealous! His stones are beautiful.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
I have never seen 'brown' champagne. When I hear "champagne", I think of a pale yellow.
Why don't you ask the vendor if "champagne" means brown?
Also, the poster who ordered the other spinel never said she saw "brown", that was said by someone else in response to her video.
What she actually said:
"It's quite a bit darker in person than in the vendor photos. Outside it natural light, it came close to the vendor photo, but it was very "shadowy" to me." She ended up buying a nearly colorless spinel, which is what she was after, not pad color.
Again, color is always going to depend on what light conditions a stone will be under most of the time, in your situation.
Good luck!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PieAreSquared|1424975202|3838586 said:
I have never seen 'brown' champagne. When I hear "champagne", I think of a pale yellow.

That's the problem with metaphors. Not too many people have ever seen pigeon's blood either, but it's commonly used in the trade to describe fine ruby color. In any case, that's a new topic altogether. :)

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
Hahaha, exactly! Never seen a pigeon bleed. Pigeon poo, yes!
I once Googled "cornflower" too, there are hundreds of shades of blue for that one.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I always felt champagne meant light brown because of the marketing term for light brown diamonds - which can have a yellow modifier, yes.

TL said:
PieAreSquared|1424975202|3838586 said:

That's the problem with metaphors. Not too many people have ever seen pigeon's blood either, but it's commonly used in the trade to describe fine ruby color. In any case, that's a new topic altogether. :)

Yeah, it's better to use a more scientific way to describe colour but since it sounds more plain, vendors prefer romanticized words.

ejacobson

Rough_Rock
I don't know why I've been having so many issues logging in to respond to this thread, but it's frustrating.

I have been checking every single recommended vendor on the sticky thread on a regular basis. Are there any others that people peruse or can recommend for either a sapphire or a spinel?

I have also been checking the Etsy shops--JuliaBJewelry, Rare Earth, Eidel Precious. Does anyone have experience, positive or negative, with All Sapphires (or Rene's Jewelry)?

As a science nerd with an academic background in neurobiology, I too agree that more scientific terms should be used. However, I also think that jewelers have to cater to the masses, who aren't as interested in technical terms.

I had a local jeweler source two sapphires he termed "padparadscha" that did not appear pad to me at all--merely fleshy peach colored. I have repeatedly asked him about industry standards for the term padparadscha, which he claims exist though he has avoided clarifying exactly what they are. This, combined with our interaction, has me looking elsewhere.

I am completely opened to a beautiful spinel, so please feel free to post what y'all find.

Thanks in advance! :dance:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
ejacobson|1424978445|3838612 said:
I don't know why I've been having so many issues logging in to respond to this thread, but it's frustrating.

I have been checking every single recommended vendor on the sticky thread on a regular basis. Are there any others that people peruse or can recommend for either a sapphire or a spinel?

I have also been checking the Etsy shops--JuliaBJewelry, Rare Earth, Eidel Precious. Does anyone have experience, positive or negative, with All Sapphires (or Rene's Jewelry)?

As a science nerd with an academic background in neurobiology, I too agree that more scientific terms should be used. However, I also think that jewelers have to cater to the masses, who aren't as interested in technical terms.

I had a local jeweler source two sapphires he termed "padparadscha" that did not appear pad to me at all--merely fleshy peach colored. I have repeatedly asked him about industry standards for the term padparadscha, which he claims exist though he has avoided clarifying exactly what they are. This, combined with our interaction, has me looking elsewhere.

I am completely opened to a beautiful spinel, so please feel free to post what y'all find.

Thanks in advance! :dance:

Hm, idk what this one would look like IRL but I thought I'd mention it since the vendor specifically says it's pad-like and looks better than the photo and video, but you'd have to ask questions:
http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/1-dot-70-ct-padparadscha-colored-spinel-with-video

Bex

Shiny_Rock
I'd highly recommend reaching out to JuliaBJewelry on Etsy. She usually has some loose stones that haven't gone up on the website yet, and is super responsive and patient. I was looking for a light peach stone for about a year and was about to pull the trigger on one of hers, but ended up deciding to go to grad school, so my "post-engagement ring" fund turned into a deposit check!

When I contacted Pristine Jewelry, they said that due to the popularity of their peach-pink stones, you had to get the setting from them as well and they weren't willing to send the stone out first for inspection before committing to a non-refundable custom ring. That was too much risk for me personally.

ejacobson

Rough_Rock
Loverskites: that's beautiful! It's a little darker than what I originally wanted, but I am thinking I might have to budge a little on that given my financial constraints. I will be emailing the LT lister to get further details. Thank you! Would you require a GIA (or other reputable lab) cert before purchasing?

Bex: I will reach out to JuliaB. Pristine Gemstones is where I purchased my original stone and I was NOT happy with the whole process. I felt a little jerked around (I asked about the price being so low for what was listed as an unheated stone and received an annoyed response that they were in the wholesale business; several days later I received a message that--oops!--they didn't have their inventory in order and the stone was in fact heat treated), but purchased the stone because I thought the color was beautiful. I asked several questions about pics and videos and received some irritated responses the to gist of "look at the photos and videos" (but both the video and photos were shot from afar)....anyway, I'm glad to be done with them and would not purchase anything from them in the future. I will see what JuliaB has that is unlisted.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Jim McCormick is known around PS; he should know his sources well. Since spinel is less commonly treated than some other gems (emerald, corundum) it's not fully necessary to get a lab report. On the other hand, if it will give you peace of mind, you can request an AGL brief for $60 which is a card that will state basic info, a photo and treatment/lack of treatment. Maybe it's a good idea to invest in one for a stone that's 1k (to trust but verify). Others will probably have more solid advice.

Ask him about colour shifts in various light (fluorescent, incandescent, daylight). Might help to hear how he thinks it looks different from the image and video.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If nothing is popping up in your search, you can also email the vendors to see what else they have that isn't listed/posted online.

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
I just wanted to chime in to say that I've purchased a few gemstones from Jim M and they have not disappointed me, his photography could be better - by that I mean his photos aren't glamour shots like other vendors, but in my experience they are pretty accurate from a color perspective.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Accurate photography (or as close as possible since many of us know this is a difficult thing to do) is far more important and useful than pretty glamour shots when shopping for a CS.

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1425041657|3839015 said:
Accurate photography (or as close as possible since many of us know this is a difficult thing to do) is far more important and useful than pretty glamour shots when shopping for a CS.

Couldn't agree more!

ejacobson

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your input about Mr. McCormick. I was just about to paste an email response I received that felt a little strange--but, since he has a good reputation on here, I will take that into consideration. I am so new to this whole experience that I really have little to go off of except my gut and what more experienced members contribute.

He offered for me to do the Brief report for $60, but it would be an additional $30 for shipping insurance. I'm just not certain it's worth if he is reputable. Am I being short-sighted in thinking this way? Our budget is tight and I've already spent $50 shipping a stone that I returned (seems small in the grand scheme of things, but I am still looking for work after graduating with a sizable amount of loan debt).

In his email he says that if the stone turned about to not be what he says it is, AT ANY TIME DOWN THE LINE, he will refund my money for the stone and for shipping both ways.

I guess the biggest factor for me is color. I asked for more pics or videos, and he said "I could take more pictures, but they'd all look the same."

I inquired as to whether he had any certification for the stone, to which he replied: " It does have a report, but not GIA, a GRS, which is just as well respected for colored stones. The only problem is, this stone is on consignment with me, from another dealer. He didn't send me the cert. I've just e-mailed him about it. He is an American, that travels all over the world buying stones. He is in India right now (had food poisoning a couple of days back, might still???), & sometimes takes awhile to get back with me. I have no doubt that the Spinel is real."

Thoughts??

ejacobson

Rough_Rock
Also, may I please get some input on the Loupe Troop spinel? I think it's beautiful; does anybody see any potential issues, either in the video or the photo?

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I'm curious to hear others input on OP's lab report question.

ejacobson said:
Also, may I please get some input on the Loupe Troop spinel? I think it's beautiful; does anybody see any potential issues, either in the video or the photo?

My main concern would be the colour shifting to brown in some lighting which is what you need to ask him about. Spinels are often extremely shifty.

ejacobson

Rough_Rock
Hi PSers,

I just wanted to let everyone know that Mr. McCormick contacted me regarding my recent post and addressed all of my concerns about the spinel. I hope that my post did not seem accusatory towards him. After speaking with him at length, I am confident that what he has posted about this stone, and what he communicated in his email regarding the certificate, are both true. I know that others have already chimed in that he is a reputable dealer, and I was impressed with his willingness to stand behind his stones and communicate openly and honestly with a potential customer.

As I shared with Mr. McCormick, I will have to put my search for the perfect sapphire or spinel on hold. My boyfriend (and potential fiance-to-be) had a frank discussion with me last night and he is just not able to afford what we had previously discussed ($3,000 budget) right now.

So, *sigh*, I hope to be back within several months to continue my search. Mr. McCormick's spinel was lovely and I really wanted it. I am super disappointed, but being financially responsible is important to me. I don't think that getting into debt for jewelry makes much sense.

Thank you for all of your help. I will still participate in this forum and hope to utilize the collective knowledge when we are in a better financial situation. :doh:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
ejacobson|1425320005|3840783 said:
Hi PSers,

I just wanted to let everyone know that Mr. McCormick contacted me regarding my recent post and addressed all of my concerns about the spinel. I hope that my post did not seem accusatory towards him. After speaking with him at length, I am confident that what he has posted about this stone, and what he communicated in his email regarding the certificate, are both true. I know that others have already chimed in that he is a reputable dealer, and I was impressed with his willingness to stand behind his stones and communicate openly and honestly with a potential customer.

As I shared with Mr. McCormick, I will have to put my search for the perfect sapphire or spinel on hold. My boyfriend (and potential fiance-to-be) had a frank discussion with me last night and he is just not able to afford what we had previously discussed ($3,000 budget) right now.

So, *sigh*, I hope to be back within several months to continue my search. Mr. McCormick's spinel was lovely and I really wanted it. I am super disappointed, but being financially responsible is important to me. I don't think that getting into debt for jewelry makes much sense.

Thank you for all of your help. I will still participate in this forum and hope to utilize the collective knowledge when we are in a better financial situation. :doh:

Absolutely agree.

Please return when you're on the hunt again!

ejacobson

Rough_Rock
Hello Again PSers,

I am back on the hunt for a peachy-pink-to-padparadscha-colored stone for an engagement ring. However, this time, the budget is much lower: $1,000 for the entire ring, including setting and stone.

I would still love to find a cushion cut stone between 1-1.5 carats (prior to this I wanted as high as 2 carats, but I think that's unreasonable given my lower budget). I have been searching the stickied Vendors pages every day, and believe that a non-Beryllium diffused sapphire is out of my budget, so I think I will set my sights on a spinel. Does anyone have any other durable suggestions for an everyday-wear CS in a peachy-pink color?

I also realize I am going to have to broaden my color selection too. Previously I was very stuck on a padparadscha color, but I don't think that will be reasonable. Gene Flanigan's Precision Gem website had a spinel in a color that is close enough to what I am looking for--a more salmon tone--but unfortunately it is sold. It was small (0.75 carats), but the price was right ($94!!!!). I have attached the photo below for color reference.

So, I would love some help on my search. TL, you seemed to be able to find some pretty spinels. Can anyone else help out? My BF and I really want to get engaged and, although we don't NEED a ring to be engaged, we both really want one for its symbolism.

Thanks in advance. :D

14_pink_spinel_from_vietnam_thumb.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why don't you ask Gene if he has more of that material he can cut for you. Tell him it's for an e-ring. ;-)

ejacobson

Rough_Rock
I sent Gene a message through his website. Thanks for the tip, TL.

I would love to see or hear any other ideas while I await his reply.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results