shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone ever regretted going Halo?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I am. I love the new setting I got but I really miss the simplicity of the Legato Sleek Lines setting I used to have.

I just feel that I can''t relax when I am wearing it. I worry that I will lose a small diamond out of the shank. I wouldn''t mind if I did if I didn''t live so far away from Whiteflash. I wouldn''t let any of my local jewellers work on it because I know I wouldn''t get the same quality if they replaced a stone.

I am also having problems finding a wedding ring to wear with my split shank ring. Its important to me that I wear both on the same finger.
7.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2008 10:10:09 AM
Author:Maisie
I think I am. I love the new setting I got but I really miss the simplicity of the Legato Sleek Lines setting I used to have.

I just feel that I can''t relax when I am wearing it. I worry that I will lose a small diamond out of the shank. I wouldn''t mind if I did if I didn''t live so far away from Whiteflash. I wouldn''t let any of my local jewellers work on it because I know I wouldn''t get the same quality if they replaced a stone.

I am also having problems finding a wedding ring to wear with my split shank ring. Its important to me that I wear both on the same finger.
7.gif
Maisie, I love your split shank halo. I like that style so much, I bought a David Yurman Petite Albion ring to kill the craving.

I can''t answer your question directly because I don''t have a halo, but I seriously considered it when I was looking at e-rings. I went with my current setting for all the reasons you mentioned. My setting is inherently wearable...I knock it around all the time and don''t think twice about it. I know I couldn''t handle a higher maintenance setting, and I have never regretted my decision even though halos still wow me.

That being said, you''ve gone through a lot to get your ring so I hope you can relax and enjoy it more. Maybe that will come with time and losing the "newness" of the ring?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think my main problem is that its off my finger more than its on there. I also feel like its a bit too showy for me. I can't believe I feel like that. Its just a lot bigger than my other ring looked and I don't really want a ring like that for every day.

I would love to put a gemstone in this setting and wear it for special occasions.

I miss wearing platinum too. I am constantly checking the white gold to see if its fading.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2008 10:27:15 AM
Author: Maisie
I think my main problem is that its off my finger more than its on there. I also feel like its a bit too showy for me. I can''t believe I feel like that. Its just a lot bigger than my other ring looked and I don''t really want a ring like that for every day.

I would love to put a gemstone in that setting and wear it for special occasions.
Maisie, you went from a simple setting to a pretty blingy one. Give it some time and try to wear it more often to see if you can get used to it and lose the fear, then you can reassess how you feel. You never know, DSS might set in and it will not look as big and showy.

If you go back to the legato, you might feel that it''s so "meh" compared to your new fancier setting. I am only saying stick with it because I''ve followed your saga and I think you really should just sit back and see if you can keep this one. You seem to have a lot of regrets for each phase you''ve gone through, and I really think this ring is lovely and deserves a chance.

Good luck Maisie!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie, I love your new ring. I want to have your ring made for my right hand some time down the road. I really think it''s gorgeous. As far as wedding bands go, have you asked Whiteflash about a 1/2 or 3/4 round bead set eternity? I think that would coordinate fine. I really wouldn''t worry about all of the little stones. I have so many rings that are traditionally pave''d and I''ve only lost one stone out of one ring in the fifteen or twenty years I''ve been collecting jewelry, and that''s going to happen no matter what style of setting you have. Eventually one may pop.

I feel bad that you feel doubtful about your new setting.... I know I''m always a little nervous about wearing a new piece because I don''t want to bang it or get my hand caught in a drawer or any of the other crazy things I''ve absent mindedly done, but I think once you get over the newness, like TGal said, maybe you''ll love it more. It''s one heck of a gorgeous ring! and it looks so comfortable and balanced.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sorry you aren''t loving your halo.

My ering is an asscher with a diamond halo in platinum and I have to tell you...I love it as much now as I did when I got it several years ago.

But there are definitely down sides to it. I have lost one stone out of it - when I was ultrasonic-ing it...but when I took it to my jeweler he fixed it and didn''t charge me a dime. And told me to come back if it happens again. FWIW, I don''t think replacing a stone is something that is too hard to fix. I might trust a local person to do it. I also had a hard time finding a band...mine isn''t a split shank (and yours is LOVELY, BTW), but we had to get a band that is curved and almost notched to get it to sit flush.

BUT it sounds like you also just aren''t digging the blingtasticness of the halo...and if after wearing it for a whle you still feel it is too much, well, then, maybe go back...but I think halos ROCK!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gosh, I would never have thought of my ring choosing process as a ''saga''... Its just me trying to find the right ring for me. I was going to upgrade my diamond because I wanted something a little bigger. I decided against that and compromised with a halo setting which feels too big for everyday use. I am really worried I will bang it and lose a diamond out of it. This would mean having to return it to Whiteflash each time it happened. I have a small child and need a ring which is more suited to an active parent.

I guess we live and learn.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2008 10:41:35 AM
Gosh, I would never have thought of my ring choosing process as a ''saga''... Its just me trying to find the right ring for me. I was going to upgrade my diamond because I wanted something a little bigger. I decided against that and compromised with a halo setting which feels too big for everyday use. I am really worried I will bang it and lose a diamond out of it. This would mean having to return it to Whiteflash each time it happened. I have a small child and need a ring which is more suited to an active parent.

I guess we live and learn.
Maisie, I only chose that word because it seemed like it was a long journey to finally get to this point.

From off the top of my head, you upgraded your stone at least once, went to a platinum, decided you didn''t like platinum and wanted yellow gold, then decided you liked the platinum again, now are in a white gold setting and now miss the platinum. That''s a fair amount of "well maybe I shoudnta."

There''s nothing wrong with trying to find the right ring for you, so I hope you don''t take offense to what I said. I agree that this ring may not be suited to your current lifestyle (I know it wouldn''t be suited to mine right now either now that I have a baby). All I am setting is that you do have a history of vacilating and to try and give your gorgeous ring a chance to make it as a keeper for your engagement ring, despite your now very valid regrets.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually upgraded twice. I started off with platinum... I do like yellow gold but not as much as platinum it would seem. I never changed to yellow gold, only considered it.
This ring isn't my engagement ring.. I still have that in my jewellery box. This new setting doesn't have any sentimental value to me.

If I wanted to change my setting every 6 months I could right? I'm not hurting anyone and my hubby doesn't mind. I just feel that for now, less is more.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2008 10:53:20 AM
I actually upgraded twice. I started off with platinum... I do like yellow gold but not as much as platinum it would seem. I never changed to yellow gold, only considered it.
This ring isn''t my engagement ring.. I still have that in my jewellery box. This new setting doesn''t have any sentimental value to me.

If I wanted to change my setting every 6 months I could right? I''m not hurting anyone and my hubby doesn''t mind. I just feel that for now, less is more.
Maisie, you can change your setting every 2 weeks, if that is what you want.
2.gif
But you yourself have admitted that you have a tough time knowing what you want and that you change your mind all the time, so all I am saying is that your setting is really really lovely and to maybe give it a titch more time to see if you change your mind again. It''s just my two cents, which may be worth less than that, if you know what I mean.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Maisie, no worries, sweetie!!!! There are worse problems to have in life other than changing your e-ring setting a few times, you know? We can all be indecisive at times (me included)!!!!

I say, since you just got this ring, give it a little more time....If in a few wks you are still just not into it, then switch back to the Legato, or whichever setting you want. Do whatever makes you happy!!!! You can always hold on to your current setting and stick a gemstone into it for a FAB rhr later on.

Good luck!!!
2.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I went back and found your post from the Legato. While I love your new setting, what is most important is that YOU love it. I think whatever you decide will be beautiful. The Legato looked pretty and sizeable on your small hands. Either way you''ll have two gorgeous rings
1.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie, whichever way you decide to go is completely up to you and we''re behind you 100%. YOU have to be happy, no one else. Did WF send you your old legato mounting back with the new ring? That would the transition back a lot less costly for you.

It seems I missed a detail. This is not your engagement ring? What does your e-ring look like?

I think your split shank halo would make a fabulous RHR with a delicious sapphire or a killer tanzanite in it. I love deep rich blue stones set in white gold. The mounting certainly won''t be wasted!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
My original e-ring is a .25ct princess cut. I don''t have any photos on this computer but you can see it here

I traded in the old setting when I got the new one. I would definitely put a gemstone in the split shank setting if I change again.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I love my halo just as much now as when I got it. Maybe I am lucky, or maybe I am just not very hard on my hands, or I baby my ring- most likely a combination of these three factors, but I have not lost a stone yet (knock on wood...... hehe). It sounds like your new setting may not have been the best choice for your current lifestyle though. I guess even if/when we have kids, it won''t be much of an issue for me as I never wear my rings at home anyway. I can understand your vacillation regarding your rings though- hanging around pricescope too long makes you want one of everything! The pave blinged out look, the simple solitaire, the earrings, the pendant... which is fine if you have the extra money to spend
9.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
My best advice is to get what you love. Stones can be replaced! If you love the halo, keep it. If ya don''t, get something else. Just don''t beat yourself up about it honey. FWIW, I have a small child and big ones. I''ve had a halo for three years now and have never had any problems with it. I''ve never lost a stone. I wear it in the pool, at the beach, at the grocery store, etc! For my current stone, I love the halo.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maisie your ring is beautiful and I agree that you should give it some time! But I can understand much of where you are coming from and want to give you a hug.

I love my halo. I don't regret it.

That said. I don't wear my ring as much anymore. When I am at home it sits in its "spot"... after busting it up a bit already once (and I have no idea how it happened) I'm leary of wearing it too much. When I leave the house I generally have it on though. But I know what you mean about not being able to completely relax. I'm so glad I only have melee around my stone and not on the shank or basket... it just isn't practical for my lifestyle and as much as I baby it now... I can't imagine how I'd feel if I'd gotten more pave. And I don't live anywhere near Ocean (though in the same country) and I also don't like the thought of anyone else touching it. That said, you can find a good jeweler hopefully to trust for repairs and ease your mind a bit. I haven't had time to look, but I'm sure there is someone local that I will find... and then hopefully I'll be able to breathe easier.

I don't feel like mine is too showy. It does attract some attention, but I don't mind that. But I wanted something showier than my X-prong and also had YEARS to dream about a different setting. I think time will help you. My original setting wasn't as nice as your Legato though... so I can understand some of you feelings there too. It's a graceful setting and a delicate one one in comparision to your current (which is lovely too!). I went the other way. My X prong was bulkier than my halo, so I don't know if that makes any difference.

Live with it. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't. I can tell you honestly if I'd had the funds and John wouldn't have killed me I would have jumped to a decision before I did (4 years after I got the ring I changed the setting) and its likely I wouldn't have been as happy as I am now with the design, and would also have wanted to switch. I think taking the time to really decide what I want (I vacilated a lot too) THEN going for it made me attach sentiment to the ring right away. It feels like a complete ring for me, whereas I always regarded the old setting as temporary. This ring feel like my engagement ring-- setting, stone and all. So again, I think time would be the best solution to your concerns.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for all your view points. Especially the people with halo''s.

I think the best thing I can do is change back to a solitaire.. but keep the halo setting and maybe change back when the children are older. Or maybe get another diamond to go in the halo so I can bling myself up if I feel like it!

I don''t want to have a ring which is more of an ornament in the house than a piece of jewellery.

I want to say that I am not saying the ring isn''t well made. Its very high quality. Its just me. I am a bit of a clumsy elephant!
9.gif

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
You know I love ya maisie. I hope that this doesn''t come across mean or anything.

SO... I loved your solitaire so much more, your ring now looks like a cocktail ring to me rather than a e-ring, albeit very beautiful and maybe on your RH it would be ideal. I understand the need to get something that you love love love but with the distance from UK to WF it is surely getting expensive in time and money (I can''t be without mine ring for a day). Also, do you think that maybe you are not a Round diamond person and that is the qualm you have? Maybe you got used to your princess and you are more of a fancy cut diamond? I''m wafflin''.

I have thought of changing mine to a halo, or three stone or fishtail (a la Lynn B) numerous times, and I am sure it would be stunning but a) it is not really my style as I am super active with my hands with horses and other sports b) the FH would probably not be too pleased and I hate to hear I told you so.

Anyways, I hope you find what you are looking for Maisie.

Probably not the most helpful post. Good luck friend!

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2008 10:10:09 AM
Author:Maisie

7.gif

Exactly. I felt exactly the same way. You have described it very well, not feeling like I could relax, and not just from losing stones but just the sheer... bigness... of a halo. It was like the ring was wearing me not the other way around.

Bliss started this exact same thread a little while back and I posted there too... I''ll try to find it..

Here it is
Halo regret

HTH!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear that you''re not in love with your new ring. Before changing back to the one that you had before, are you sure that''s what you want to do? Is there any other shapes that you love-maybe go try on some at a jewellers near you to make sure that''s what you want to do. I do like the idea of putting a gemstone in the setting though for the days that you want to bling it up a bit.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2008 12:52:55 PM
Thank you for all your view points. Especially the people with halo's.

I think the best thing I can do is change back to a solitaire.. but keep the halo setting and maybe change back when the children are older. Or maybe get another diamond to go in the halo so I can bling myself up if I feel like it!

I don't want to have a ring which is more of an ornament in the house than a piece of jewellery.

I want to say that I am not saying the ring isn't well made. Its very high quality. Its just me. I am a bit of a clumsy elephant!
9.gif

Maisie, I love your ring! I think it is absolutely stunning on your hand. I feel you on the everyday ring, though, so I love the idea of 2 rings. haHA! If you could get another diamond (or gorgeous colored stone!) to put in the halo to wear when you feel the need for more sparkle, and wear a solitaire for everyday--this sounds perfect to me.

I waffle back and forth on resets, upgrades, etc. all the time. That's why I like having two options. Solitaire for every day and then my three stone when I want a change. Mind changers need options!
9.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OK, here''s my humble opinion. Like TGal said, my 2 cent''s worth (or less!
2.gif
)

If your main issue is worrying about losing a stone, then wear the ring and enjoy it, not worrying about it until that happens. It could be YEARS, or longer! My grandma wore a pave halo ring for over 50 years and in all those years never once lost a single stone!

Meanwhile, formulate a Plan B. (I am a "Back-up Plan", "Plan B" kind of a girl myself!
1.gif
) If/when you lose a melee stone, THEN send the ring back to WF at that time. Have the melee replaced and a lovely colored gemstone (or whatever) set in the halo ring, and your beautiful diamond reset into whatever setting choice your Plan B is!

Now, however, if your main issue is that the ring seems too blingy to you... then, of course, that''s a different story. My personal opinion on that? (Uttered with the utmost of affection, really! --> Get over it, darlin'', no way! It''s gorgeous
30.gif
and IMVHO it''s dang hard to get too much bling!!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
36.gif
)

Keep us posted on what you decide to do!

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh no! I love your ring. It''s one of my favorite halos - BUT - I had a halo setting for a few days. I purchased a HOF halo but the jeweler couldn''t set it right away. He let me take it home until he could get to it. I dropped my stone into the setting and stared at it for an entire weekend on my hand and decided a halo wasn''t for me. I was really disappointed.
7.gif
It was so beautiful but it just didn''t seem like me, especially for an everyday ring. I want to be able to wear my ring all the time, wherever I go and not have to worry about it. I do like a few sidestones, and after trying a shared-prong setting for 6 mos, I ended up with the WF flush-fit diamond setting. The sidestones are tiny so they are more of a shimmer than a bling, which works well for me (for now). I don''t feel too flashy, the setting is pretty sturdy and the little diamonds seem like they''re kind of protected. I will have a halo, but I have decided that it will be in the form of a necklace.
1.gif

I have had 3 settings in one year, so don''t feel bad about changing your mind. There are so many beautiful settings out there, it''s hard to figure out what will work best! After seeing several gorgeous legato settings posted on here lately, I''m thinking, hmm - maybe I should have gone that route...

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Lynn makes a good point. There is no use worrying about a lost stone at the sake of enjoying your beauty. I have a simple solitaire and have desperately tried to find the perfect pave setting. I fell in love with Shimmer's Tacori halo and decided on getting the same setting. Low and behold, Shimmer went and changed her's back to a simple solitaire.....
Also, I am very indecisive and love all styles of rings. It would be a miracle for me to pick just one. I have decided to be happy with my setting for now and play with some beautiful bands. Just wait and enjoy your ring because it is absolutely beautiful and something you created. Get some mileage out of that baby before she becomes a RHR
1.gif

You will have many opportunities to change the setting later
1.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
There have been many good points made and I appreciate people for taking the time to post.

I really want to wear a wedding ring. Where I live every woman who is married wears a wedding ring.. and I am used to that. I don''t want to wear a ring on my right hand though so moving the halo across isn''t an option. I would definitely whack it on something if I move it over as I am right handed. I can''t seem to find a ring to go with the split shank. I have tried lots on and they are either far too thin, or too thick which makes my finger uncomfortable. I don''t want to go custom yet as I may not keep this setting.. if I was to change setting I would go back to platinum.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have 2 halo rings, my e-ring and a RHR with a garnet in it. I had my e-ring for 2 weeks then had to send it back to fix something, but I wore that ring every single day during that time and never worried much about it. My RHR is a more delicate high set halo with pave, which does worry me a bit not to mention I worry about scratching up my garnet. I still wear it everyday but only when I''m leaving the house and that baby goes in my jewelry box the minute I walk in the house.

I don''t know, your stone is about the exact same size as mine and I think it looks great on your finger. Of all the halo settings I''ve seen here yours is one of my favorites and while it has presence, I never thought it was too flashy. But then again, I think that''s where my personal taste lies and personally am not a big fan of solitaires
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie, you must do what you think is best, sometimes it can take a few tries before we get it right - no worries! If you go back to the Legato setting, then you could indeed have a gorgeous coloured stone set in the halo setting sometime! I would say give it just a little more time and see how you feel to enjoy this lovely new setting, then if in the near future you still feel the same, go back to the solitaire.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t regret it! I also have a halo from WF and I wear it every single day and I haven''t lost a stone yet! (Knock on wood!) It''s white gold, too, and it doesn''t look faded/yellow at all. I''ve had it for over a year and I don''t baby it at all. I wear it every time I leave the house unless I''m going to play soccer. So I would just trust WF''s workmanship and wear it!

I also liked Lynn''s idea of wearing it to get used to it, and *if* a stone falls out, then send it back and get the setting changed. (And maybe a wee bit of a diamond upgrade also?!
11.gif
9.gif
You are my upgrade hero, after all...)

I love your setting, but it doesn''t matter what I think-you''re the one who is wearing it! It will be gorgeous with a gemstone center stone also, so it''s not as if the setting will go to waste if you do decide to go back to a solitaire. (I plan on putting a gemstone in my halo setting if/when I upgrade or change settings.)

Anyways, keep us posted!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
*************WARNING: SHRIEK ALERT. PLUG EARS.**********

Maisie!!!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love your ring! And I'm going from solitaire to halo! We're picking up the new custom setting next week!

OY VEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I share all the same concerns you do. I love banging around my platinum setting. I make fun of my acme prongs, but they are so sturdy and I can wear my ring doing anything. I wear it everywhere with everything, casual or dressed up.

I wonder if I, too, will be worried about missing stones and banged up milgrain? Will I crave the simple sleek lines of a single stone being the star?

BUT I LOVE YOUR RING! The blingy setting is what makes my heart sing!

SO....
I have told myself I'm going to enjoy the heck out of it and wear it everywhere anyway! So what if a few stones pop out? I'll just get them fixed. No worries.

I would just wear it and ENJOY! How long have you had your fab setting? Maybe you feel the way you do because it's too new. When I got my shiny new car it was stressful to drive it around because it was Manhattan and you know how dinged up and crazy cars can get in a matter of months! Once I broke it in (got a few dings fixed), I was cruisin' around without a care in the world and really enjoyed it.

I love love love your ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results