shape
carat
color
clarity

Guessing the size of stone just by looking at a picture.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am sorry that you are having to deal with this. Can you just sit him down and calmly tell him that you do not feel he is being truthful and that you think this is the scenario? Give him a chance (again) to set it right.

It sounds like you are grappling with bigger issues and for that I really am sorry. You seem to be really trying to be calm about things, but I sense you are not happy right now, and there are other factors. I am not trying to pry, but just wanted to offer my warm wishes to you for things to be okay...

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Hey there, I know I''m jumping in late, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents. First of all, welcome to Pricescope!

I think it''s the stone he bought for his ex - he recylcled it into the new setting for your ering. I don''t think he did it to hurt your feelings, I think a lot of guys wouldn''t consider that to be a big deal, because they don''t look at diamonds the same way that we do. I totally don''t think this is any type of serious relationship-ending issue, just a guy with a wedding around the corner looking to save a buck, because he didn''t realize that using the same stone would hurt your feelings.

Maybe he can sell the three stones in your ring back to a jeweler (a lot of reputable jewlers will buy trade-ins) and then you can pick out a ring that you love together. Often you won''t get the full value that you paid, but since you''re not worried about the size of the stone, you won''t mind if it''s a little smaller. For instance, I''ve sold some diamonds (my old engagement ring) and I didn''t get as much for it as was paid for it. For instance, if he paid $15,000 for the ring, maybe you''ll get $10,000 for it now. You could still get a knockout ring for $10,000, but it wouldn''t have the icky memory of the ex attached to it.

And don''t worry about "selling his investment" - unless diamonds are D FL quality ideal cut they are generally going to decrease in value over time, not increase - so you can tell him that he can stop lying about that part and you guys can just sell that ring back to a jeweler and start fresh with something that you love.

If it''s worth anything, I do love your ring and think it''s beautiful!

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 12:38:18 PM
Author: vespergirl
Hey there, I know I''m jumping in late, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents. First of all, welcome to Pricescope!

I think it''s the stone he bought for his ex - he recylcled it into the new setting for your ering. I don''t think he did it to hurt your feelings, I think a lot of guys wouldn''t consider that to be a big deal, because they don''t look at diamonds the same way that we do. I totally don''t think this is any type of serious relationship-ending issue, just a guy with a wedding around the corner looking to save a buck, because he didn''t realize that using the same stone would hurt your feelings.

Maybe he can sell the three stones in your ring back to a jeweler (a lot of reputable jewlers will buy trade-ins) and then you can pick out a ring that you love together. Often you won''t get the full value that you paid, but since you''re not worried about the size of the stone, you won''t mind if it''s a little smaller. For instance, I''ve sold some diamonds (my old engagement ring) and I didn''t get as much for it as was paid for it. For instance, if he paid $15,000 for the ring, maybe you''ll get $10,000 for it now. You could still get a knockout ring for $10,000, but it wouldn''t have the icky memory of the ex attached to it.

And don''t worry about ''selling his investment'' - unless diamonds are D FL quality ideal cut they are generally going to decrease in value over time, not increase - so you can tell him that he can stop lying about that part and you guys can just sell that ring back to a jeweler and start fresh with something that you love.

I agree with all of this.

The thing that convinces me that it is the same diamond, is that he was so quick to offer to replace it.

I understand your being upset, I would be too. However, I do agree with Vespergirl that this is not a relationship ending issue. He just made a stupid move, and compounded it by trying to cover it up.

I think your plan to replace it is a good one. Then move on (easier said than done!)

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
Hi Vespergirl, Anastasia & SanDiegoLady,

And don''t worry about "selling his investment" - unless diamonds are D FL quality ideal cut they are generally going to decrease in value over time, not increase - so you can tell him that he can stop lying about that part and you guys can just sell that ring back to a jeweler and start fresh with something that you love.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with all of this.

The thing that convinces me that it is the same diamond, is that he was so quick to offer to replace it.

I understand your being upset, I would be too. However, I do agree with Vespergirl that this is not a relationship ending issue. He just made a stupid move, and compounded it by trying to cover it up.

I think your plan to replace it is a good one. Then move on (easier said than done!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I ditto all of this.. and.. I hope you get the ring of your dreams. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

Thanks for reply. We''ve been married since 2006. I guess between running a business and taking care of our 10 month old girl, I''ve learned to be more patience and calm. Yes, I''m upset but it will take more than just this to break us apart. You''re right, I don''t think he''s did it to intentionally to hurt my feeling but the point is he could have said something about the history of the stone. That it had been on his ex-fiancee''s finger. Women and Men are just like venus and mars. We just don''t think alike.

I love the ring until I found the old pictures, it kept me guessing every time I wear it. I''ve waited for awhile to decide if I could swallow my pride but I can''t. For all its worth, a D, SI1, excellent cut, we''re agreed to turn it into a pendant.

Take care everyone, thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results