shape
carat
color
clarity

Guessing the size of stone just by looking at a picture.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

Is it possible to guess the size of a stone by looking at a picture? If so, what do you think the size of the stone in this picture? Thanks.

KIARI~16.jpg

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Do you know how big your stone is? Are you just wondering how big it looks to others?

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I know the size of my stone but the one in the picture looked like mine, that''s why I''m asking. Am not sure if my husband used the ex-fiance''s center stone & pass it on to mine.
Any help on this would be great. Thanks.

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
do u happen to know the finger size of the one u posted.. also maybe post pics side by side and that might help tell if it looks the same...

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Will knowing the size prove anything? Yes, they''re probably in the same ballpark size, but what if your husband was simply comfortable with that size stone as an e-ring? There''s only one way to know, and that''s to ask him. I don''t think we''re going to be able to give you much help in trying to identify if those are identical stones from that picture.

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
here''s my ring. both are size 4 1/2.

jen_ring.JPG

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
I''ve asked him many times. He told me the stone he bought for his ex-fiance was 1.41 and the reason it look almost similar to mine (1.8) because of the table size. So, i''m not an expert that is why I''m asking.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s hard to guess from that angle. I''d guess around 1.5 carats but it depends on how big your hand is.

I''ll go read the rest of the thread now...

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Your e-ring is really beautiful!

It concerns me that you have these suspicions about your center stone. You should really talk to your husband about it. It would be a shame for you to wear such a lovely ring and always be wondering--such an emotional piece of jewelry. It's really important for you to communicate with him about your worries.

Good Luck!
1.gif

eta: whoops! just read that you've already asked him about it. Sounds like you don't believe him?

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, yes it is a beautiful ring and I love it but I have doubts due to many reasons. Oh well, I''m not here to prove that he''s not telling me the truth. I would like to move on and make decision if the stone in the first picture I posted in this thread is really the same stone I''m wearing.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
There is absolutely NO way to determine from a picture if they are the same stone.

You have bigger problems than which stone is which if you have that little trust in your marriage. This is better resolved by a therapist than on a diamond forum
20.gif

This puts the usual weekend drama over the top.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2008 2:49:30 PM
Author: hibiscus
Thanks, yes it is a beautiful ring and I love it but I have doubts due to many reasons. Oh well, I''m not here to prove that he''s not telling me the truth. I would like to move on and make decision if the stone in the first picture I posted in this thread is really the same stone I''m wearing.

Size alone will not tell you that. There are a ton of stones out there that are the same size. Nobody on here will be able to tell you if it''s the same stone. The only person that could do that is your husband, and he''s said it isn''t. So if you''re on here trying to determine if they''re the same stone, I''d say you are here to prove that he''s not telling you the truth.

Northern Lights

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/3/2008 2:54:56 PM
Author: purrfectpear
There is absolutely NO way to determine from a picture if they are the same stone.

You have bigger problems than which stone is which if you have that little trust in your marriage. This is better resolved by a therapist than on a diamond forum
20.gif

This puts the usual weekend drama over the top.
Yes, and it would have been BETTER if you would have kept your rude comments to yourself!
38.gif

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
yikes. didn''t expect to get reply like this. thanks for the effort. my question was straight and simple, if anyone can help me figure out if the center stone in both picture is the same.
1)Like I''ve explained, i''m not an expert.
2)yes, i''ve asked my husband many times and due to many reason I''ve doubts.
3)if I needed therapy, i''m very aware this forum is not my solution.
4)NO, my marriage is not going down the drain, if that''s what you''re referring to..

Anyway, thanks for wasting your time answering my posting.

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
thanks northern light. this should end my question. there''s no way i can get it figure out unless my hubby is going to show me the receipt of that previous purchase. I am discontent not knowing if its the same stone. If it is, I would like my hubby to tell me as I rather have a smaller stone than have a pass me down. Its just not right.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
I would guess somewhere in the 1.75 ish range?

ETA: Sorry, I just read the rest of the posts. I think it looks somewhere under 2 carats. In any case, I could see how that would really bother you. I would be totally suspicious too. Did you husband tell you what he did with the old stone? Did he sell it?

Honestly, I don't think you need therapy because you are asking the question. I could easily see a man thinking "Perfectly good stone, why buy a new one?" and having it reset. Let's face it, it's a lot of money, and although we woman would be bothered, not all men would be.

Case in point, my fiance read the post over my shoulder, I told him the situation, i.e reusing the stone and he said "Is that wrong?"

Maybe I should be asking questions about my stone
2.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I have an idea for you. Does your husband have the GIA or AGS certificate for the stone? Or do you know where he bought it? If you have the cert, you could check the date when the stone was graded. If it was graded after the previous engagement, you're home free, see?

The jeweler who made the ring might also be able to tell you whether he sold your husband the diamond at the same time.

I have to say, I also think it's a shame that this issue exists for you and your hubby, but I hope this might help you put your fears to rest so that you can enjoy your ring and your marriage!

Oh yeah, and I also think your ring is GORGEOUS!! Love it.

ETA: I just told my husband about your post and he said "Re-using the stone would be a really mean thing to do!" but honestly, in my experience, my husband is often the exception to the rule when it comes to moral compass and sensitivity to what a woman would think (which is why I married him!) and I think the mass of men would wonder what was so bad about it, like Ally's guy. (No offense to anyone else's guy!)

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock

I have an idea for you. Does your husband have the GIA or AGS certificate for the stone? Or do you know where he bought it? If you have the cert, you could check the date when the stone was graded. If it was graded after the previous engagement, you''re home free, see?

The jeweler who made the ring might also be able to tell you whether he sold your husband the diamond at the same time.

I have to say, I also think it''s a shame that this issue exists for you and your hubby, but I hope this might help you put your fears to rest so that you can enjoy your ring and your marriage!

Oh yeah, and I also think your ring is GORGEOUS!! Love it.

Yep, I have the EGL cert and the stone was bought in 1998, same year he met her but he gave her a different stone at 1.41 (refer to the very first picture attached) for their engagement. He said he doesn''t remember who the broker was since its been awhile. That''s why I have doubts.

He knows how I feel and I did mention about removing the center stone and turn it into a pendant and replacing it with something else on our anniversary this Nov. Maybe then I can stop having doubts. I just can''t shave it off, my instinct never fails me when I''ve this unrestful feeling about something.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
That's a really tough one. So the 1998 certificate says '1.81 cts'? And you're doubting whether maybe he gave HER this particular EGL graded 1.81 ct stone before you? Can I ask what year you got engaged?

I don't know. If he bought the stone the year he met her (was that long before he met you?) I think I'd be pretty damn suspicious too. I mean, why did he buy a stone for YOU while he was with HER? I'm confused.
33.gif

If you got serious with him more than 2 years later (like, 2000 or later), I would be strongly suspicious. Stones don't usually hang around that long at jewelers. So if it was graded in 1998 (or it was BOUGHT in 1998?!?) I'd be very suspicious.

I guess if he won't fess up, you can either stop wearing it, get an 'upgrade', or just try to come to terms with it. I mean, at least he re-set it!

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Well, IMO, it does look like the same rock. It could be sheer coincidence, but if you look at the center/right of the stone, there is something in it that looks similar (forgive me, I don''t know the proper lingo yet, just learning).

Yeah, it would definitely suck if that was the same stone. I mean if he bought that rock for a huge chunk of cash, he could have sold it or upgraded it or returned it for a whole new one.

If you found out it was the ex''s, what would you do?

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock

I would guess somewhere in the 1.75 ish range?

ETA: Sorry, I just read the rest of the posts. I think it looks somewhere under 2 carats. In any case, I could see how that would really bother you. I would be totally suspicious too. Did you husband tell you what he did with the old stone? Did he sell it?

Honestly, I don''t think you need therapy because you are asking the question. I could easily see a man thinking "Perfectly good stone, why buy a new one?" and having it reset. Let''s face it, it''s a lot of money, and although we woman would be bothered, not all men would be.

Case in point, my fiance read the post over my shoulder, I told him the situation, i.e reusing the stone and he said "Is that wrong?"

Maybe I should be asking questions about my stone

It does look around the size of my stone, doesn''t it. Yep, i did ask him what he did with the 1.41 stone? he said he sold it to get the other 2 side stones on my ring. If it wasn''t an issue, I should have just given him the wedding band I bought for my ex-fiance. Wonder how he feels about it.

The stone I''m wearing was purchased as an investment in 1998, that''s what he said and he didn''t want to give it to her, reason being, she doesn''t deserve it, so he bought a smaller. Reason he gave just doesn''t make sense.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I stink at this!

It depends on so many things, but I think it looks to be about 1.5 carats or so, under 2 for sure...

Even if you know they are both the same carat weight, they still COULD be different stones. Is he positive the one he gave her is 1.41? If so, you could double check yours and if it is clearly 1.81 than it cannot be the same stone.

I think it would be stinky to give you an ex's ring without your knowing it, just do not think most guys would do that, even if they are not sentimental types.

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock

That''s a really tough one. So the 1998 certificate says ''1.81 cts''? And you''re doubting whether maybe he gave HER this particular EGL graded 1.81 ct stone before you? Can I ask what year you got engaged?

I don''t know. If he bought the stone the year he met her (was that long before he met you?) I think I''d be pretty damn suspicious too. I mean, why did he buy a stone for YOU while he was with HER? I''m confused.

If you got serious with him more than 2 years later (like, 2000 or later), I would be strongly suspicious. Stones don''t usually hang around that long at jewelers. So if it was graded in 1998 (or it was BOUGHT in 1998?!?) I''d be very suspicious.

I guess if he won''t fess up, you can either stop wearing it, get an ''upgrade'', or just try to come to terms with it. I mean, at least he re-set it!

That''s a really tough one. So the 1998 certificate says ''1.81 cts''? And you''re doubting whether maybe he gave HER this particular EGL graded 1.81 ct stone before you? Can I ask what year you got engaged?

I don''t know. If he bought the stone the year he met her (was that long before he met you?) I think I''d be pretty damn suspicious too. I mean, why did he buy a stone for YOU while he was with HER? I''m confused.

If you got serious with him more than 2 years later (like, 2000 or later), I would be strongly suspicious. Stones don''t usually hang around that long at jewelers. So if it was graded in 1998 (or it was BOUGHT in 1998?!?) I''d be very suspicious.

I guess if he won''t fess up, you can either stop wearing it, get an ''upgrade'', or just try to come to terms with it. I mean, at least he re-set it!

Sorry if I confused you somewhere in my explanation on the history of the stone. Lets just call the ex-fiance "B". My hubby met B in 1998 and in that same year he bought the stone I''m wearing for investment purposes. The got engaged in 2000 and he gave her a different stone- 1.41 ct. They ended the engagement a few months before their wedding, she was cheating on him.

We met in early 2005, were engaged in early 2006 and married later that year. Yes, very suspicious especially when I asked for the first time, he said the stone was just bought until I saw the cert, he explained. When asked for the 1.41ct receipt, it took him many, many months to show it to me but that still doesn''t prove anything. I found two other receipt of setting be send back and forth because she doesn''t like it. So, that 1.41ct receipt could possibly not be last receipt. He could have drop the whole purchase and go with the stone I''m wearing.

When I did say I want it to be re-set, he was so quick to say, lets go. Am I just reading too much into this whole thing?

My hubby going back and forth is when my discontent and suspicion stemmed from.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
You know, just get a new diamond or upgrade it/them or whatever, and get a new setting, and just start over.

Maybe you just need a fresh start?

But will that solve anything?

Will that solve the suspicious feelings you are getting?

Have you gotten suspicious with other things besides this diamond?

Like I asked before - what if you found out it was the same diamond? What would that mean to you and to your life as a newly married couple? What would happen if you found out?

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock

Well, IMO, it does look like the same rock. It could be sheer coincidence, but if you look at the center/right of the stone, there is something in it that looks similar (forgive me, I don''t know the proper lingo yet, just learning).

Yeah, it would definitely suck if that was the same stone. I mean if he bought that rock for a huge chunk of cash, he could have sold it or upgraded it or returned it for a whole new one.

If you found out it was the ex''s, what would you do?

It could possiblly be sheer coincidence. The inclusion you mean? You''re very observant, I didn''t even go that far :) The pointed out to him, "get me a solitaire, don''t worry about the size". I know he go all the way to get it designed and stuff but a hand-me-down stone is a hand-me down stone. I''m not one who cares about carat size, I have some of my own before I met him.

What would I do? I wouldn''t want to wear this center stone on my finger. Turn it into a pendant and get something else to go with the side stones.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Girl, I smell a rat. Nobody in their right mind buys a diamond as an investment because you will never, ever get your money back. So unless somebody conned him, it just seems like too much of a leap. It''s one thing to re-use the stone (understandable ''boy thing'') but to tell elaborate lies about it? Now that is yucky!

My advice: get him to agree to let you trade it in for something you won''t have the association with. Maybe offer to pay for the switch yourself.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
He bought it as an *investement* but she didn''t deserve it so he got her a smaller one?

NOOOOOO
.....Hisbiscus, honestly, I think you are absolutely right to be doubtful. That explanation is ridiculous, mostly because NO ONE buys diamonds as an investement (fameous dead people jewelery or diamond-that-have-names aside). AND really, who thinks things like that when they are asking someone to marry them. "I will randomly buy this diamond because I think it is a great investement" " I will then propose to a girl who I don''t think *deserves* this diamond, and then spend money to buy another one" Most guys would let the girl wear the 1.8 and if it doesn''t work out, take the ring back.

Incidently, you''re stone being 1.81 and hers being 1.41 seems kind of suspicious to me too. Kind of easy numbers to remember, i.e, just subtract 4 from the number. Easier to remember over the years.

I really don''t think there is any more reason to be questioning if this is the same diamond or not. It seems to me that your husband is adament about sticking to his story then let him be. It becomes a question of whether or not you can live with it. If not, have it reset into a pendant and wear your wedding band.

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
im not paying for the switch, it is as good as i get my own ring in the first place or give it back to him.

that''s exactly what i told him, in all my banking years, i would not buy a diamond for investment purposes.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sucks if this is what he did and is lying about it, but I could also see why he might do it. He had a nice sized diamond on his hands, no place to get any of it''s value back, probably at least $15,000, and rather than take a loss, reused the stone.

Rather than concentrating on what he might have done and how you feel about it, making the entire situation worse as he hides and you doubt, why not just get it re-set if you have the money and move forward.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Hibiscus, are you married yet or engaged?

I definitely hear you on the not wanting to pay for the switch. It shouldn''t be your responsibility. Just depends on whether you''re a path of least resistance gal, but you certainly don''t sound like that type!

Sorry that we have to share your doubt, but it does sound insanely suspicious to me.

Has he lied to you about other things?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results