shape
carat
color
clarity

Grey Gems

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Am I just looking at it wrong, or does that platinum spinel have heavy zoning?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am afraid it might be extinction.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2009 2:37:12 PM
Author: glitterata
The middle color is gorgeous though, I think I see what you are seeing on the outskirts right?

ETA: its just been taken off
33.gif
so I can't go see it again
15.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2009 3:02:44 PM
Author: D&T

The middle color is gorgeous though, I think I see what you are seeing on the outskirts right?

33.gif
so I can''t go see it again
15.gif
D&T,
It''s still there. I just took a peek. It looks like extinction to me too.
7.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I don't think this quite qualifies as grey, but I've got a topaz coming that's supposed to be silvery in indirect sunlight, and light blue with violet tones in direct. I can't wait to see it!

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 2:37:51 PM
Author: szh07
Date: 8/5/2009 2:21:19 PM

Author: QueenB29

Date: 8/5/2009 1:35:41 PM

Date: 8/5/2009 8:58:49 AM

Author: QueenB29

Here''s a link to some gray diamonds (although many of them don''t actually look gray). My engagement stone is from this company and they provided us with great service.

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/grey_diamonds

Thank you so much for the link! What kind of diamond is your centerstone?

No problem! I hope you find what you''re looking for! My stone is a .31 VS2 fancy brownish-pink diamond, but I don''t see any brown in it at all. I really love it.

Here''s the only pic I have at work:

Very very pretty!! Does it have its own thread? Because I would love to see more pictures of your beautiful ring!

szh07: Thank you very much! I don''t have a thread for it, but there are more pics here https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/okay-ladies-be-honest.120951/

glitterata: I love that setting.

Is it just me, or do the gray spinels seem somewhat dull?
20.gif
I really like Loriken''s silver topaz, though. It seems like it has more sparkle. You might want to do what a lot of the lovely PS ladies have done, and have someone cut a stone for you szh07.....
1.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
a gray star sapphire has my vote!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2009 4:16:45 PM
Author: Chrono

Date: 8/6/2009 3:02:44 PM
Author: D&T

33.gif
so I can''t go see it again
15.gif
D&T,
It''s still there. I just took a peek. It looks like extinction to me too.
7.gif
lol... I swear I clicked on the link and it said no items found. Sure enough it is still there
9.gif
Thanks Chrono. Well I think I like the star sapphire too, I actaully saw one at my local jeweler, had much grey tones to it, but it also has some blue in it as well.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I had the same problem with the link, but I found it again listed under spinels.

The reason I thought zoning was that the stripe is visible on the back view as well as the front.

To me, in real life, the gray spinels are bright and lively, but they''re not pure gray. I don''t like the gray mixed with color--I want it to be more purely gray.

I believe the "silver topaz" is not gray but clear (white).

I love gray star sapphires. That would be my vote if you can''t find a truly gray spinel. But a nicely cut spinel should be bright and lively, not dull.

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 6:37:02 PM
I had the same problem with the link, but I found it again listed under spinels.

The reason I thought zoning was that the stripe is visible on the back view as well as the front.

To me, in real life, the gray spinels are bright and lively, but they''re not pure gray. I don''t like the gray mixed with color--I want it to be more purely gray.

I believe the ''silver topaz'' is not gray but clear (white).

I love gray star sapphires. That would be my vote if you can''t find a truly gray spinel. But a nicely cut spinel should be bright and lively, not dull.

Good to know glitterata!

A star sapphire would be amazing!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thanks D&T, I had totally forgotten about that silver topaz!!

It is so pretty; I was leaning towards a gray sapphire I saw on gemselect, but maybe I''ll contact Barry instead to see if he has any more rough. I read the thread a while back; so is it basically colorless topaz?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
And TL- thanks for showing me that Ebay seller! I''m shy when it comes to spinel though; so many PS''ers love them, but I''m not sure if I''ve even seen one IRL. Any thoughts? Or good threads? From what I''ve heard they''re strong and sparkly, but that''s all I''ve got.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Spinels look a lot like sapphires. In fact, some famous historical "rubies" are really red spinels.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a gray spinel cut by Barry. 1.6cts, pure gray. Link

I also have the "Darth Vader" spinel, a cushion cut by Dan that is a VERY dark gray with hints of purple. There is a thread around somewhere about it, but I don''t remember the name of the thread. I searched for a long time for them both, and happened to luck out with them both.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2009 11:04:37 PM
Thanks D&T, I had totally forgotten about that silver topaz!!

It is so pretty; I was leaning towards a gray sapphire I saw on gemselect, but maybe I'll contact Barry instead to see if he has any more rough. I read the thread a while back; so is it basically colorless topaz?
That's right.
2.gif

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/7/2009 2:32:02 AM
Author: FrekeChild

I also have the ''Darth Vader'' spinel, a cushion cut by Dan that is a VERY dark gray with hints of purple. There is a thread around somewhere about it, but I don''t remember the name of the thread. I searched for a long time for them both, and happened to luck out with them both.

Now that baby is pretty and sparkles like crazy!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

I also have the ''Darth Vader'' spinel, a cushion cut by Dan that is a VERY dark gray with hints of purple. There is a thread around somewhere about it, but I don''t remember the name of the thread. I searched for a long time for them both, and happened to luck out with them both.

Freke....

that first gray spinel, cut by Barry

was

EXACTLY

what I was imagining.

Wow! Its gorgeous. Are you going to set it?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 5:18:59 PM
Author: jewelerman
a gray star sapphire has my vote!

Agreed- Monkeypie posted a pretty one earlier! They are really very pretty.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Does this look gray to ya''ll? Cause it looks pretty gray to me. I like it, and its a Montana sapphire and I''ve had my eye on those for a while, and its a nice calibrated 5mm so I could easily find a setting to fit it without having to worry about getting a custom setting made.

Its described as ''MEDIUM TO LIGHT BLUE'', but looks really gray. I actually wouldn''t really mind a blue tint as long as it was mostly gray. Do you think the seller called it this to make it more appealing to buy?

graywishsaph.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks QueenB! It''s one of my favorite stones, but gets a bad rap since it''s such a "dull" color.
Date: 8/7/2009 10:48:52 PM

Freke....

that first gray spinel, cut by Barry

was

EXACTLY

what I was imagining.

Wow! Its gorgeous. Are you going to set it?
Yes. I haven''t found the right setting for it yet. Nothing has sung to me except for a Leon, and that''s just not possible, now or perhaps ever. I think that what you and I have in our heads is pretty much right in sync though. It won''t go in anything but white metal, and I need to find the right mix of contemporary/classic that will make it come alive....it deserves a special setting, and it''s taking a good long time to find.
40.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
At least you''ve found the one for you! I am loving my experience searching for ''the one'', but it is a long and hard process. I''ve decided its best if I find a beautiful gem that sings to me first, and then build a setting around it. I already feel
40.gif
but to think, even after I find ''it'', the journey''s still not over!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I have a grey from Barry. It looks anywhere from grey to blue to purple in different lights.

Barry's photos:
MVC-165S.JPG
MVC-166S.JPG

my photos:
trillion_039.jpg
trillion_049.jpg

spinel_001.jpg

ETA: Tundura Tanzania Spinel 1.38 cts 6.5mm

Hope you find the perfect stone for you szh07.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2009 11:21:00 PM
Does this look gray to ya''ll? Cause it looks pretty gray to me. I like it, and its a Montana sapphire and I''ve had my eye on those for a while, and its a nice calibrated 5mm so I could easily find a setting to fit it without having to worry about getting a custom setting made.

Its described as ''MEDIUM TO LIGHT BLUE'', but looks really gray. I actually wouldn''t really mind a blue tint as long as it was mostly gray. Do you think the seller called it this to make it more appealing to buy?
There is a blue tint to the stone but not enough for me to call it a medium or even light blue stone; I''m sure it is described as such to attract a prospective customer unless his photography completely sucks.
9.gif
It looks like a light black or gray stone.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Danke Chrono! I was hoping it wasn''t just me that thought that.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Brandy, your gray is just gorgeous! Really a chameleon, it almost looks blue in that last picture. And soo sparkly! Any setting ideas?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/7/2009 11:21:00 PM

that one is pretty too, looks more grey to me than blue... Are you considering this?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results