shape
carat
color
clarity

Grey Gems

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I really love the color gray (everything from silvery grey to gunmetal and everything in between)...but I really never seem to see any! Why is this? I think there must be natural grey sapphires or diamonds, but I don''t often see any. Is it a case similar to that of lower color diamonds, that are plentiful in nature but not easily found in retail, because cutters avoid them since they are generally unfavored.

What do you guys think?
Have you seen any pretty greys out there?

I would love to see a light silvery grey cushion or oval with a halo of bright diamonds in a white metal setting...I think I originally got the idea after seeing a light blue cushion diamond with a halo on Diamonds by Lauren years ago that was just gorgeous.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good question. I honestly can't think of a grey stone. Some iolite or spinels seem to have a steely gray in them but that is the best I can think of.

I have to tell you the first thing I thought when I saw your title was some of the promotional diamonds I've seen in the mall - they are as gray as can be but obviously not very pretty.

I will interested to see if someone can think of a grey stone. I think I will go look through my gems book to see if I can find something.

ETA: I just looked at the pictures in my gem book and did not find one that was grey.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
topaz or zircon?

mz

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can readily find grey spinel of an almost pure grey color, especially on ebay. Grey stones are actually plentiful, but not sold often because it's not technically a color, and therefore, not something in demand for a colored gem. As for diamonds, there are some that are graded fancy grey. You can see them at fancydiamonds.net. If they have any hint of blue though, expect the price to skyrocket.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
According to THIS, grey diamonds really exist and are not too expensive (more so than blacks, but not as much as whites). Of course, be careful about the cause of color - a wealth of inclusions shouldn''t be one of them
9.gif
Other than that, there are grey star sapphires (lighter shades of black actually), grey spinels (even some PS-ers have them) and many "blue" tourmalines are really more grey than anything else. There are grey moonstones, grey pearls, many aquamarines actually have very little blue and quite a bit of grey, and color-change garnets often have some shade of grey for one of their colors. Those are all I could think of.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a "green" tourmaline that looks gray to me -- it's not very saturate though, and I have a feeling it won't photograph well, but I'll give it a try one of these days. I also have a small opal that's basically gray with colored flashes.

How about taaffeite?

I think some zoisite (tanzanite) is pretty much gray.

And... I have an andalusite that I consider to be poor quality because it has a lot of gray in it, while I was hoping for more brown/gold/greens. But that makes me think that there might be gray andalusite out there somewhere!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gray stones are not really advertised because there isn’t a strong market for them. Grey spinels are plentiful and as are some sapphire cabochons. I have also seen gray moonstones and topazes. I have only seen one very light blue tourmaline that looks silvery gray. Basically, anytime the saturation and tone is extremely light, the gray component increases.

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
Here''s a link to some gray diamonds (although many of them don''t actually look gray). My engagement stone is from this company and they provided us with great service.

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/grey_diamonds

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2009 11:08:36 PM
Author: marcyc
Good question. I honestly can''t think of a grey stone. Some iolite or spinels seem to have a steely gray in them but that is the best I can think of.

I have to tell you the first thing I thought when I saw your title was some of the promotional diamonds I''ve seen in the mall - they are as gray as can be but obviously not very pretty.

I will interested to see if someone can think of a grey stone. I think I will go look through my gems book to see if I can find something.

ETA: I just looked at the pictures in my gem book and did not find one that was grey.

Wow! I guess they just aren''t that popular. Thank you so much for looking. Are there any gem books you recommend? I really need to get myself one!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 2:50:54 AM
Author: ma re
According to THIS, grey diamonds really exist and are not too expensive (more so than blacks, but not as much as whites). Of course, be careful about the cause of color - a wealth of inclusions shouldn''t be one of them
9.gif
Other than that, there are grey star sapphires (lighter shades of black actually), grey spinels (even some PS-ers have them) and many ''blue'' tourmalines are really more grey than anything else. There are grey moonstones, grey pearls, many aquamarines actually have very little blue and quite a bit of grey, and color-change garnets often have some shade of grey for one of their colors. Those are all I could think of.

Thanks for the link! I had read that somewhere else too, that grey diamonds are relatively less expensive, but haven''t seen too many sources from which to source them, except some of the vendors that sell fancy diamonds, and their prices seem kind of high.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 8:58:49 AM
Author: QueenB29
Here''s a link to some gray diamonds (although many of them don''t actually look gray). My engagement stone is from this company and they provided us with great service.

Thank you so much for the link! What kind of diamond is your centerstone?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2009 11:16:30 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
You can readily find grey spinel of an almost pure grey color, especially on ebay. Grey stones are actually plentiful, but not sold often because it''s not technically a color, and therefore, not something in demand for a colored gem. As for diamonds, there are some that are graded fancy grey. You can see them at fancydiamonds.net. If they have any hint of blue though, expect the price to skyrocket.

TL- Do you have any grey gems?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Star sapphires can come in grey!

1603532717098080_1.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I found myself on a site called Gemselect from an old thread on grey''s by Freke. Their prices are really low! Has anyone purchased from them before?

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 1:35:41 PM
Author: szh07

No problem! I hope you find what you''re looking for! My stone is a .31 VS2 fancy brownish-pink diamond, but I don''t see any brown in it at all. I really love it.

Here''s the only pic I have at work:

Beth and John ring 3.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 2:21:19 PM
Date: 8/5/2009 1:35:41 PM

No problem! I hope you find what you''re looking for! My stone is a .31 VS2 fancy brownish-pink diamond, but I don''t see any brown in it at all. I really love it.

Here''s the only pic I have at work:
Very very pretty!! Does it have its own thread? Because I would love to see more pictures of your beautiful ring!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
There have been threads on gray stones over the years. They''re not popular, but a few of us are fans. Search on both spellings of gray/grey.

I bought several gray spinels a few years ago. They were quite cheap--cheaper back then than they are now. But hard to find; I don''t know whether that''s because they''re rare or (more likely) because they''re unpopular so nobody bothers to cut them. I like my gray spinels, but they''re not quite gray enough for me--slightly blue or slightly purple. I want a purer gray. Still, I think they''re attractive. Nice and sparkly.

Perhaps you can talk to a cutter about getting some gray spinel rough and cutting it for you?

Other gray stones are sapphires, especially star sapphires, and smoky quartz.

Here are two of my gray spinels sitting in a setting that I eventually used for my J I1 Infinity diamond:

decoltgrayspin1.jpg

decodkgrayspin1.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/5/2009 1:44:44 PM

You can readily find grey spinel of an almost pure grey color, especially on ebay. Grey stones are actually plentiful, but not sold often because it's not technically a color, and therefore, not something in demand for a colored gem. As for diamonds, there are some that are graded fancy grey. You can see them at fancydiamonds.net. If they have any hint of blue though, expect the price to skyrocket.

I have stones with grey modifiers, but no pure grey gems. I personally avoid grey as much as possible in gems since I'm not a fan. I do put up with grey in colored diamonds though, as I have a greenish grey stone that I love. However, if I had the $$$, that would be a pure fancy vivid green instead!! LOL!!

The gem I have with the most grey in it is a Tahitian pearl which is blue-grey in a ring. I don't mind grey in Tahitian pearls as much as faceted crystals. As long as a pearl isn't pure grey though, I'm happy.

If you go to the store srilankamall on ebay, you will find a great deal of grey or almost grey spinels for very good prices, and good native cuts.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 4:50:57 PM
Date: 8/5/2009 1:44:44 PM

You can readily find grey spinel of an almost pure grey color, especially on ebay. Grey stones are actually plentiful, but not sold often because it''s not technically a color, and therefore, not something in demand for a colored gem. As for diamonds, there are some that are graded fancy grey. You can see them at fancydiamonds.net. If they have any hint of blue though, expect the price to skyrocket.

I have stones with grey modifiers, but no pure grey gems. I personally avoid grey as much as possible in gems since I''m not a fan. I do put up with grey in colored diamonds though, as I have a greenish grey stone that I love. However, if I had the $$$, that would be a pure fancy vivid green instead!! LOL!!

The gem I have with the most grey in it is a Tahitian pearl which is blue-grey in a ring. I don''t mind grey in Tahitian pearls as much as faceted crystals. As long as a pearl isn''t pure grey though, I''m happy.

If you go to the store srilankamall on ebay, you will find a great deal of grey or almost grey spinels for very good prices, and good native cuts.

Wow, they have a gorgeous spinel for $24!
36.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 4:37:10 PM
Author: glitterata
There have been threads on gray stones over the years. They''re not popular, but a few of us are fans. Search on both spellings of gray/grey.

I bought several gray spinels a few years ago. They were quite cheap--cheaper back then than they are now. But hard to find; I don''t know whether that''s because they''re rare or (more likely) because they''re unpopular so nobody bothers to cut them. I like my gray spinels, but they''re not quite gray enough for me--slightly blue or slightly purple. I want a purer gray. Still, I think they''re attractive. Nice and sparkly.

Perhaps you can talk to a cutter about getting some gray spinel rough and cutting it for you?

Other gray stones are sapphires, especially star sapphires, and smoky quartz.

Here are two of my gray spinels sitting in a setting that I eventually used for my J I1 Infinity diamond:

decoltgrayspin1.jpg

decodkgrayspin1.jpg

I love those grays! They are gorgeous; I especially love the second one. I think it has a slightly violet tint to it. Did you end up setting them into other settings?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
No, I haven''t yet set them.

In real life, I think I like the lighter one better. The darker one looks a little too much like it''s trying in vain to be blue. The lighter one is closer to a true gray.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, so I had to check out srilankamall.... they certainly have some interesting gemstones! And I say that without any sarcasm whatsoever... it''s just that they have a lot of gemstones in subtle shades and neutral colors that wouldn''t necessarily appeal to the consumer who is looking for "bling!"

Anyhow, I found a few stones that would certainly qualify as "gray."

They call it yellow, I call it gray:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-65CT-Super-Glow-100-Natural-Rare-Sinhalite-08081411_W0QQitemZ330318279492QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ce880f344&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

They call it clear, I call it gray:
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-90CT-Gorgeous-Perfect-Cut-Natural-Scapolite-08052605_W0QQitemZ370231523086QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item563384b70e&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14
Ahh! Listed as blue-gray!
http://cgi.ebay.com/LONG-CUSHION-BLUE-GRAY-SPINEL-1-10CT-07073182_W0QQitemZ330290553967QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ce6d9e46f&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-30CT-Ceylon-Blue-Gray-Spinel-100-Natural-08022686_W0QQitemZ330295482561QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ce72518c1&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

Sorry I can''t post working links
7.gif
but there are gray stones out there....

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2009 12:37:40 AM
Author: VRBeauty
OK, so I had to check out srilankamall.... they certainly have some interesting gemstones! And I say that without any sarcasm whatsoever... it''s just that they have a lot of gemstones in subtle shades and neutral colors that wouldn''t necessarily appeal to the consumer who is looking for ''bling!''

Anyhow, I found a few stones that would certainly qualify as ''gray.''

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-65CT-Super-Glow-100-Natural-Rare-Sinhalite-08081411_W0QQitemZ330318279492QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ce880f344&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-90CT-Gorgeous-Perfect-Cut-Natural-Scapolite-08052605_W0QQitemZ370231523086QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item563384b70e&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14
http://cgi.ebay.com/LONG-CUSHION-BLUE-GRAY-SPINEL-1-10CT-07073182_W0QQitemZ330290553967QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ce6d9e46f&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-30CT-Ceylon-Blue-Gray-Spinel-100-Natural-08022686_W0QQitemZ330295482561QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ce72518c1&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

7.gif
They are very good with returns, and they ship out very fast. Their stones aren''t the most awesome in the world, but at least what you see is what you get. I got my one bright lavender spinel from them. It has no grey.

SparkleSparkle

Shiny_Rock
I think I found your stone - I''ve been lusting after this one but I wasn''t sure what to do with it. Platinum Spinel

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2009 12:37:40 AM
Author: VRBeauty
OK, so I had to check out srilankamall.... they certainly have some interesting gemstones! And I say that without any sarcasm whatsoever... it''s just that they have a lot of gemstones in subtle shades and neutral colors that wouldn''t necessarily appeal to the consumer who is looking for ''bling!''

Anyhow, I found a few stones that would certainly qualify as ''gray.''

7.gif
The links should work now.
35.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 7:26:03 AM
Author: SparkleSparkle
I think I found your stone - I''ve been lusting after this one but I wasn''t sure what to do with it. Platinum Spinel

That is GORGEOUS!

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
didn''t someone get silver topaz from barry? i haven''t seen any pics posted....
38.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2009 12:12:22 PM
Author: karee888
didn't someone get silver topaz from barry? i haven't seen any pics posted....
38.gif
Loriken Did- one of the silver topaz. I'll have to dig for it,

ETA: here it is:

MVC-101S.JPG

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/6/2009 7:26:03 AM
Author: SparkleSparkle
that one is beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results