carat
color
clarity

GORGEOUS Kruppy EC for the brave... and why EC numbers lie

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: GORGEOUS Kruppy EC for the brave... and why EC numbers l

Mikla|1398477805|3660292 said:
Can someone explain what a Kruppy EC is?

The Krupp Diamond, famously owned by Liz Taylor is a very squat (very large 33.19 carat) step cut... almost like a hybrid of an EC and an Asscher. It has been renamed the Elizabeth Taylor Diamond, but the original name was a Krupp Diamond. And that's usually how we refer to it here.

It has a very distinct shape that some people (including me) really love. So when we see stones with similar shape, we call them Krupp or Kruppy.

The Krupp Diamond:
D (Type IIa) VS1

krupp_diamond_real_photo_close_up_at_gia.jpg

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy|1398478583|3660306 said:
woofmama|1398478257|3660301 said:
Niel|1398477371|3660289 said:
woofmama|1398477083|3660283 said:
I emailed this stone to myself on 4-17 because I saw it & loved it!!!! Then I went back a day or so later & it was unavailable.

I was kicking myself for not inquiring about it. I will buy it. I have been looking for an upgrade for months. I was really sad when I saw it was gone!

Is it gone? or is it still unlisted because of Gypsy?

It is unavailable. I have already called and placed a secondary hold on it.

It's PERFECT FOR YOU! I'm so excited for you! I'm not buying it. My DH talked sense into me. I have to keep the necklace.

But I do get lots and lots of photos right?? :lickout:

I promise to take a million pictures!!! Thank you for the blessing :halo: I think it's gorgeous and can't wait to see it IRL! When I saw it initially my first thought was that it went against everything I learned on PS about table/depth ratio's which is why I hesitated to put it on hold myself. I'm thrilled that the ASET results were good! Jim Schultz isn't in right now but I was told I'll be contacted Monday to make the purchase and it won't be released. I think it's perfect for me too! :D

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Thanks for the explanation!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh that's great. I'm excited for you. :)

Going to set it the same way???

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Niel|1398479987|3660325 said:

Thanks! I'm excited too! I will have to wait until I see it to decide on a setting. I love my Sholdt but this diamond might be better suited to claw prongs. I may sell my current ring or use as a trade in. I'll most likely do a thread in RT about setting it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

woofmama|1398480919|3660337 said:

Thanks! I'm excited too! I will have to wait until I see it to decide on a setting. I love my Sholdt but this diamond might be better suited to claw prongs. I may sell my current ring or use as a trade in. I'll most likely do a thread in RT about setting it.
awesome those are my favorite kind of threads. I wouldn't trade it in. You're got a lovely ring there many people would be happy to pay a fair second market value id wager.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is so cool, glad a P/S member got it, what are you going to do with it? It would look great with split prongs in each corner or smokin in a 3 stone.....

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Oh my goodness I love this!!! I hadn't had just bought Studs I would have gotten this is a heart beat and done a setting with bullets and halo'ed it all. LIke that Bez setting I truly covet!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Woofmama!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: I hope it's yours!!!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm so glad it's going to be in the PS family! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

I have been saying all along that the table to depth ratio "rule" is bogus.
There are many combos that work if the angles work together.
This is an interesting diamond.
Large table which means fewer smaller and med virtual facets but with wide corners which adds more small and med virtual facets.
So it will likely fall somewhere between a classic its just there type EC and the more modern flashier EC.
Interesting diamond.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Woofmama, you got it?!?! That is a gorgeous stone. I think about Liz's step cut all the time (crazy right?). I CANNOT wait to see it on your hand. How super awesome that you got it. I was tempted for a minute to throw my studs out the window cause a step cut is on my bling bucket list. SO excited for you!!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Thanks for your input and comments arkie, SB, Mayk, Jimmieann & LLJ!!!
I'll have her tomorrow so we'll see how the real life performance is. Very excited :appl:

Thanks for weighing in KarlK! I agree that step-cuts can be interesting, I am obsessed with them :cheeky: I hope you pop back by when I post my pictures.

Gypsy here's hoping it's as cool as we think it is :sun:

Looking forward to everyone's input, I'll try to get some decent pictures up tomorrow!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

woofmama|1398812571|3663101 said:
Thanks for your input and comments arkie, SB, Mayk, Jimmieann & LLJ!!!
I'll have her tomorrow so we'll see how the real life performance is. Very excited :appl:

Thanks for weighing in KarlK! I agree that step-cuts can be interesting, I am obsessed with them :cheeky: I hope you pop back by when I post my pictures.

Gypsy here's hoping it's as cool as we think it is :sun:

Looking forward to everyone's input, I'll try to get some decent pictures up tomorrow!
Anxiously waiting to hear what you think!! :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm SO EXCITED! I am vibrating. I can't IMAGINE how you feel!!!!

Can't wait till tomorrow!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy|1398819856|3663202 said:

I know!!! I have had the video up since Friday, watching it go round & round! I'm sooooooooo glad it was you that put it on hold & it found it's way here! I can't wait to see it, probably won't sleep tonight ::)

I think it will look like my current stone but much bigger & better :bigsmile: I am very very happy!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock

awesome!

excited and happy for you!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

woofmama|1398821336|3663228 said:
Gypsy|1398819856|3663202 said:

I know!!! I have had the video up since Friday, watching it go round & round! I'm sooooooooo glad it was you that put it on hold & it found it's way here! I can't wait to see it, probably won't sleep tonight ::)

I think it will look like my current stone but much bigger & better :bigsmile: I am very very happy!

Things happen for a reason!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

So I got the diamond yesterday & have very mixed feelings about it. Here my first impressions and thoughts:

Pro's: It has a beautiful shape! The clipped corners are absolutely perfect. Of course the face up size is fantastic (7.36 x 6.69).
It has a very glowy look. It is sparkly. The edge faceting lights up like a step cut should, showing the laser like colored lines, hope that makes sense.

Con's: The steps under the table aren't showing much movement. They're lighting up a bit but not giving me the light show that my current 1.11 EC does. The 1.11 is a very lively stone which sparkles and throws colors down the steps with every hand movement.
The kruppy isn't behaving the same. I don't know if I want to make the trade off for bigger size. If this was for a RHR or was being haloed in an elaborate setting with pave the overall piece could look cool and mask the fact that the steps aren't super lively.
But that is so not my style. I love my sholdt setting. At most I would do traps or ec sidestones, but really wanted a simple claw prong solitaire for this stone. I may take it to a local jeweler to plop it a couple of settings just to see how it looks.

DH's reaction was that's it's big & sparkly. He saw it in the house under regular lightbulbs. He agreed that the step movement is not as lively as my 1.11. My friend saw it outside only, in the gloomy weather & although she loved the size she said right away that it doesn't perform like my current stone.

I took pictures but none are great. It's cold and raining here (why do I live here?). I am dying to see how this diamond performs in the sun, I really think that will help me make a decision.

Attaching a few mediocre pictures because I promised I would.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

20140430_192243.jpg

20140430_140241.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Woofmama,
I've been following this thread, even though I did not post. I am sorry it's not comparable to your current EC, performance wise.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock

i am sorry that the steps are not doing what they are supposed to be doing.....:(

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

20140430_195426.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

What are the specs of your current EC?

This thread goes to show that the only way to be sure is to see it in person in your own environment.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Chrono & gregc thanks for your comments. I absolutely love the shape...it glows...it spakles! Can I live with a less steppy step cut?
Still haven't made a final decision.
Apart of me says, it's big & cool, keep it! As I mentioned if this was an additional ring not my main e-ring I wouldn't hesitate to keep it at all. But I would really have to do some fast talking to convince DH that I needed two EC diamond solitaires. I have spent a hefty sum on jewels since discovering PS and can not justify this. I have a 1.75ct five stone ring being made right now at BGD so I have to choose between the 1.11 and the kruppy.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I'm sorry that the stone isn't performing as it should. How did the aset convey that it was a performer? I saw lots of green in it. I thought red is good?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Karl_K|1398960234|3664391 said:

Ditto this. I am curious how the numbers stack up for your current EC (any Sarin, ASET, etc).

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Karl_K|1398960234|3664391 said:

This thread goes to show that the only way to be sure is to see it in person in your own environment.

Here's my original thread with ASET pics: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/aset-photo-of-emerald-im-considering-step-cut-lovers-help.177801/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/aset-photo-of-emerald-im-considering-step-cut-lovers-help.177801/[/URL]

Here's my SMTB thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ec-in-sholdt-semi-bezel-pearlmans-pics.180994/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ec-in-sholdt-semi-bezel-pearlmans-pics.180994/[/URL]

I know the specs on my 1.11 aren't text book but it is a very high performing stone. I was lucky to find it!

I do like the kruppy stone! I wish the sun would come out so I could really compare it to my current one. I'm guessing I'm not getting as much from the under the table steps because the cut is shallow? As mentioned the crown area is very lively!

edited for spelling

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

The bottom line is does it make your heart sing?
If no I would keep looking.
The right one for you does not need rationalization to make it a keeper.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results