shape
carat
color
clarity

First anniversary plans?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''re going to Vegas the week before. I made the hotel reservations today.
9.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''re going to Sweden for vacation and our 1 year anniversary will happen when we''re there. (July 11th.) Not sure what we''ll do on the actual day-a dinner out or maybe a day trip somewhere? (We''ll be in Stockholm for most of the trip.)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thing, Sweden is beautiful! I didn''t spend time in Stockholm though, but I''ve heard that it''s a great city. I''m sure you''ll have a wonderful trip.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2010 5:34:26 PM
Author: Zoe
Thing, Sweden is beautiful! I didn''t spend time in Stockholm though, but I''ve heard that it''s a great city. I''m sure you''ll have a wonderful trip.

Thanks Zoe! Do you have any hot tips for me of where we should go? We definitely want to take a couple of trips away from Stockholm-either day trips or overnight!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2010 12:12:58 AM
Author: thing2of2
Date: 5/23/2010 5:34:26 PM

Author: Zoe

Thanks Zoe! Do you have any hot tips for me of where we should go? We definitely want to take a couple of trips away from Stockholm-either day trips or overnight!

Well, I spent a summer there when I was 15, and unfortunately, we didn''t do a ton of sightseeing. I lived with 2 families (they are related to each other -- the wives are sisters), and they lived in the southeastern part of Sweden. We spent a few days in Oland (the O has 2 dots over it but I don''t know how to type that!). It''s an island off the southern coast of Sweden. I can''t remember anything specific we did, other than spending a lot of time at the beach. I loved Sweden, but we actually didn''t travel that much. I spent most of my time in a little village and a slightly larger town/city. I spent so much time there, and I feel bad that I can''t really recommend anything specific. I''d love to go to Stockholm someday.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2010 1:47:40 PM
Author: thing2of2
We''re going to Sweden for vacation and our 1 year anniversary will happen when we''re there. (July 11th.) Not sure what we''ll do on the actual day-a dinner out or maybe a day trip somewhere? (We''ll be in Stockholm for most of the trip.)
This sounds awesome! Have an amazing time!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We''re going to Italy for a week! Well, it will be 2 weeks before our anniversay, but I think it still counts!

I think for our actual anniversary day, we''ll just go out to dinner and I"ll make DH flip through all our wedding photos with me!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2010 9:52:55 PM
Author: Clairitek
So far we don''t have any plans. We are actually considering visiting my FILs family in Syracuse that weekend. Part of the reason we are doing it that weekend is because its one of the few open weekends we have left before we move. I''m not sure what we will do to recognize our day though. We better come up with something!

Where are you moving to? That sounds like a similar path to what me and DH would do between here and CA. We are still debating driving or flying.

We are moving to Seattle. I got a job in a university in the area. DH and I ultimately decided to drive because, although we have done road trips together, we have never gone cross country. We figure we will never do it again if we don''t do it now for many reasons, but the main being time. In the future, if we have a chunk of time like that off together, we will want to *be* somewhere for vacation, not just *travel* somewhere for vacation. There is just so much natural beauty between here and there, it seemed a shame not to do it (although I know I will get a little sick of all the car time--luckily there are download-able NPR podcasts and great albums we both love). So my vote is that you drive!

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I stand corrected. My DH surprised me with a trip to NYC last weekend. So, we spent the long weekend shopping, eating, and just relaxing
9.gif
. Our real anniversary is on Sunday, and we might go to dinner or something, but nothing crazy since we had an awesome dinner at Morimoto in NYC
18.gif

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
We are traveling to India for a wedding the week before our 1st anniversary. I am not really clear on all the details, but a friend of DHs invited us to his parent''s wedding in India. From what I understand (and I don''t mind if I am corrected as I haven''t been able to find much information), when someone turns 80, they have seen 100,000 phases of the moon and their service on earth is considered complete. They have a huge celebration and dedicated the remainder of their life to prayer and meditation.

DH''s friend is a work associate who came to our wedding with his wife and they have invited us to his father''s 80th birthday party. His parents are renewing their wedding vows during the celebration. I''ve never heard of this and it sounds amazing! We are really excited to go...I think I am also going to call this our honeymoon as we keep coming up with reasons why we haven''t taken ours and I don''t want to put it off much longer!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Well I''m kind of down because I didn''t realize it was our anniversary this weekend, and I''m on call so I have to work. My husband didn''t realize it either and he''s going to a concert with his friend. It''s making me really sad to read all of these responses. I''m guessing neither of us is that romantic.

Last night, I tried to come up with a gift (Paper) for the first anniversary, and I bought him tickets to a football game (Giants vs. Titans) I know this isn''t very romantic. But that''s all I could think of
14.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 6:56:18 AM
Author: allycat0303
Well I''m kind of down because I didn''t realize it was our anniversary this weekend, and I''m on call so I have to work. My husband didn''t realize it either and he''s going to a concert with his friend. It''s making me really sad to read all of these responses. I''m guessing neither of us is that romantic.

Last night, I tried to come up with a gift (Paper) for the first anniversary, and I bought him tickets to a football game (Giants vs. Titans) I know this isn''t very romantic. But that''s all I could think of
14.gif
I think those football tickets are plenty romantic Ally if he loves football!

Our anniversary was on Sunday and I thought that I''d report back that we did.... nothing. We were in Syracuse (as expected) with DH''s family. We did go out to dinner last weekend to recognize it. We had a big gift card to a wine bar type place so we got a cheaper dinner and then went to the wine bar and sat there for two hours sipping wine and just hanging out in these big comfy chairs.

We did open a special bottle of wine on our anniversary that was given to us as a wedding gift to open that day. We have 5th and 10th anniversary bottles for 4 and 9 years from now from the same people.

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
Clairitek- That wine bottle gift sounds awesome! Do you have any idea where your friends got them? Sorry OP for slight thread jack.

Allycat0303- Hugs to you, even though you have to work, I hope you and DH can work something out for your anniversary, maybe the next weekend or something? Also, football tickets are an awesome present for a paper gift!! Very creative.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So even though we''re actually celebrating in Montreal with the Jazz festival, we''re taking a day trip down to the little wine country town we had our wedding at. On the way, we''re stopping at this amazing local farm to pick up lunch which they serve as picnic baskets (!!!!!!!) and a bottle of wine. We''re going to pick a garden spot somewhere in the middle of the wineries and have a picnic lunch under the sun! Then I pick up a replica of my bouquet at the florist who did our flowers. From there we''re going to visit the little park/gazebo and winery where we had our wedding ceremony and reception respectively. Dinner at the restaurant that catered our reception - who specialize in farm-to-table meals...so we have NO idea what''s going to be on the menu! Finally, we come home and cut the cake we ordered (smaller replica of our wedding cake) and drink the bubbly we bought at the winery (which is essentially exactly what we did the night after our wedding with our immediate family).

Plus, I wrote DH a hand written letter on this beautiful stationery I recently picked up.

Now, the only problem is: we live within the security perimeter of the G20 summit that is being held the same weekend as our anniversary. SO, we''re hoping it''s not too much of an issue to get out. I just hope we don''t have to cancel all our plans :S

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2010 10:44:26 AM

We did open a special bottle of wine on our anniversary that was given to us as a wedding gift to open that day. We have 5th and 10th anniversary bottles for 4 and 9 years from now from the same people.
Wow. What an amazing gift! Would love to hear more. Was it a special type of wine - i.e., something that you both like a lot or something sentimental to you or the people who gave you the gift? Were they all the same kind of wine (i.e., some label, year, type etc?). Did they stick special labels on it?

Sorry for the numerous questions! This would be such a fantastic gift for my BIL who''s getting married in a few weeks.

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 4:37:12 PM
Author: kama_s
So even though we''re actually celebrating in Montreal with the Jazz festival, we''re taking a day trip down to the little wine country town we had our wedding at. On the way, we''re stopping at this amazing local farm to pick up lunch which they serve as picnic baskets (!!!!!!!) and a bottle of wine. We''re going to pick a garden spot somewhere in the middle of the wineries and have a picnic lunch under the sun! Then I pick up a replica of my bouquet at the florist who did our flowers. From there we''re going to visit the little park/gazebo and winery where we had our wedding ceremony and reception respectively. Dinner at the restaurant that catered our reception - who specialize in farm-to-table meals...so we have NO idea what''s going to be on the menu! Finally, we come home and cut the cake we ordered (smaller replica of our wedding cake) and drink the bubbly we bought at the winery (which is essentially exactly what we did the night after our wedding with our immediate family).

Plus, I wrote DH a hand written letter on this beautiful stationery I recently picked up.

Now, the only problem is: we live within the security perimeter of the G20 summit that is being held the same weekend as our anniversary. SO, we''re hoping it''s not too much of an issue to get out. I just hope we don''t have to cancel all our plans :S
kama, that sounds absolutely amazing!!!! I love how you''re essentially re-living your wedding day minus all of the guests.
1.gif

Can I ask what the name of the farm is that serves lunches in picnic baskets? We received a gift certificate to the St. Charles Inn and a picnic lunch + a bottle of wine sounds like the perfect afternoon!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2010 9:24:57 PM
Author: sammyj
kama, that sounds absolutely amazing!!!! I love how you''re essentially re-living your wedding day minus all of the guests.
1.gif

Can I ask what the name of the farm is that serves lunches in picnic baskets? We received a gift certificate to the St. Charles Inn and a picnic lunch + a bottle of wine sounds like the perfect afternoon!
Haha! That''s what my girlfriend said as well, but followed it with a ''You''re nuts...but I kinda already knew that about you''.
3.gif

We''re picking up a picnic basket from: http://www.goodearthfoodandwine.com/ I''ve never been there before, but come very well recommended. Plus, it might be closer to you than it is to me! I''ve never been to St. Charles Inn - going to google it now!

BTW: Congrats on your wedding! I was thinking about you a few weeks ago, wondering when your wedding was. I hope you had good weather - it''s been not too bad here lately, eh? Well, except for today! Have you put pics up on BWW???

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 4:41:47 PM
Date: 6/22/2010 10:44:26 AM

Wow. What an amazing gift! Would love to hear more. Was it a special type of wine - i.e., something that you both like a lot or something sentimental to you or the people who gave you the gift? Were they all the same kind of wine (i.e., some label, year, type etc?). Did they stick special labels on it?

Sorry for the numerous questions! This would be such a fantastic gift for my BIL who''s getting married in a few weeks.

The couple who gave us the basket with 3 anniversary bottles are really into wine so I''m sure this was a fun gift for them to give. The 1 year bottle was a 2005 French Pinot Noir. They chose something that they knew would be ripe for drinking this year. The 5th and 10th year bottles are both Barolo. The husband in this couple LOVES Barolo. He collects wine and most of his collection is that particular varietal. They made up a nice basket with special hang tags on each bottle (so the original label was within view, they just tied on the tags) with the date that we are supposed to drink it. I loved it! We received another case and a half of wine between other gifts but nothing with special timing.

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 10:13:46 PM

Haha! That''s what my girlfriend said as well, but followed it with a ''You''re nuts...but I kinda already knew that about you''.
3.gif

We''re picking up a picnic basket from: http://www.goodearthfoodandwine.com/ I''ve never been there before, but come very well recommended. Plus, it might be closer to you than it is to me! I''ve never been to St. Charles Inn - going to google it now!

BTW: Congrats on your wedding! I was thinking about you a few weeks ago, wondering when your wedding was. I hope you had good weather - it''s been not too bad here lately, eh? Well, except for today! Have you put pics up on BWW???
Ok...just checked out the site and it looks amazing! We are definitely going to have a picnic lunch.
18.gif

Have an amazing anniversary weekend!

Thanks for the congrats! We had amazing weather...not a cloud in the sky and it rained the day before so the humidity index dropped quite a bit. By far the best Saturday weather in the past several weeks!

ArtistJess

Shiny_Rock
Well, our two best friends are getting married (to each other!) a week after our one-year anniversary.. hubs is a groomsmen and I am matron-of-honor (that makes me sound so old!). Anyway, our plans are kind of tentative at this point because we just got married 1 1/2 months ago, but we''re planning on going back to Panama City Beach to the same resort we stayed in on our honeymoon. Because of the wedding, we might not be able to go on our exact anniversary, but I will look forward to the beach no matter when we go.
9.gif

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2010 11:35:09 PM

The couple who gave us the basket with 3 anniversary bottles are really into wine so I''m sure this was a fun gift for them to give. The 1 year bottle was a 2005 French Pinot Noir. They chose something that they knew would be ripe for drinking this year. The 5th and 10th year bottles are both Barolo. The husband in this couple LOVES Barolo. He collects wine and most of his collection is that particular varietal. They made up a nice basket with special hang tags on each bottle (so the original label was within view, they just tied on the tags) with the date that we are supposed to drink it. I loved it! We received another case and a half of wine between other gifts but nothing with special timing.
Wow! I''m going to have to steal this idea, if you don''t mind! I just shared the thought with my hubby and he thinks his brother would really appreciate it. We''re already throwing a wedding related event for them (wine and cheese reception for all their guests the night before the wedding), which is supposed to be their "gift". But I would also like to give something tangible. Plus, they don''t have a registry. I think this idea would be just perfect. Now, to find appropriate bottles! I wonder who can tell me what wines would be best to drink 1, 5 and 10 years from now?

Thanks for sharing, Clairitek!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/23/2010 9:58:16 PM
Author: sammyj

Ok...just checked out the site and it looks amazing! We are definitely going to have a picnic lunch.
18.gif

Have an amazing anniversary weekend!

Thanks for the congrats! We had amazing weather...not a cloud in the sky and it rained the day before so the humidity index dropped quite a bit. By far the best Saturday weather in the past several weeks!
Sweet! So happy for you! Can''t wait to see pics :)

Yes, definitely go down for a picnic. I''m getting ''The Dusty Lane'' picnic basket this weekend with a bottle of their 2009 Riesling. Will let you know how it was!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Our anniversary was this past weekend, but we are leaving in about 36 hours for our anniversary trip to the Bahamas. My job has been extra crazy and unbelievably stressful the last six months, so the vacation will be so nice--plus, I''m getting DH all to myself for eight days.

On our actual anniversary, we opened up a (new) bottle of our wedding champagne on our rooftop deck and looked at the wedding photos DH printed for me before going out to a late dinner. We recently finished unpacking in our new house, and it''s really starting to feel like a home. It felt very grown-up to be celebrating our anniversary in a house we own =).

Missy0483

Brilliant_Rock
We didn''t have a "real" honeymoon so we are going to DISNEY WORLD! People always say if you don''t go on a honeymoon right away you never will, but I''m considering this our honeymoon/anniversary trip! I''m so excited since it will be my first time
9.gif
Anyone know of any "must ride" rides?? The more trilling, the better!!

We got married on October 10, 2009, our actual anniversary falls on Sunday, the day after we get back home. We''ll be in Disney October 3th and coming home October 9th!

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
We celebrated our 1st anniversary on April 18th.

I planned a scavenger hunt for him around the house. He got a bunch of gifts along the way - ranging from cheap candy to a pair of good seats to a Phillies game. The last gift was a onesie - I had found out I was preggo just 3 days prior, and kept it from him til our anniversary. Boy, was he shocked! We had only been trying for 2 months... he was super excited, though, too.

He had told me to keep the day free. He rented a nice car (we had a real POS at the time). He took me for a picnic lunch at the place we got married (a historical house/park). Then we went to the firing range, which sounds weird, but it was something we always wanted to do but never got around to, yanno? Then we went back home for a bit, and went out for a nice dinner. We were supposed to go to a movie that night, too, but we were both beat, and I think a little overwhelmed with the news of the baby, so we just relaxed in for the rest of the night.

Ally - did he love the tickets?? Not at all un-romantic, if you ask me!

kama - I love your plans!! DH and I plan to re-visit our wedding site every year from now on. It''s nice to re-live the day!

All of you going away for your anniversaries - enjoy!!

Happy belated/upcoming anniversaries, everyone!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2010 3:12:40 PM

Date: 6/22/2010 11:35:09 PM

Wow! I''m going to have to steal this idea, if you don''t mind! I just shared the thought with my hubby and he thinks his brother would really appreciate it. We''re already throwing a wedding related event for them (wine and cheese reception for all their guests the night before the wedding), which is supposed to be their ''gift''. But I would also like to give something tangible. Plus, they don''t have a registry. I think this idea would be just perfect. Now, to find appropriate bottles! I wonder who can tell me what wines would be best to drink 1, 5 and 10 years from now?

Thanks for sharing, Clairitek!
It wasn''t my idea, but I know my friends would be tickled to hear that people are really into their gift idea.

As for finding wines that will age well... from my limited knowledge lighter bodied wines *generally* are not aged as long. Hence, why they got is a Pinot Noir for the 1st anniversary. Barolo is generally full-bodied and will age for longer, so I''m sure that is part of why they chose that grape as well. I would just go to the most reputable wine seller in your area and explain the concept and ask for help. I''m sure they can steer you in the right direction.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Re: First anniversary plans?

Today is our 1st anniversary! My parents came in town to watch the little guy...

So, last night we went to a great steak dinner, the Astros game (where C had them put Happy Anniversary on the megatron!), then to the bar after the game, and then stayed at a hotel downtown.

We also just spent about an hour sitting on our back porch and watching the rain. We never do stuff like that, so it was great!

For his gift, I bought DH a share of stock in Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines and a share of Disney. Royal Caribbean is the ship that we took our honeymoon on and our first vacation together... and Disney is his favorite place on earth. We will be going every other year for the rest of our lives. LOL, figured we better get a little back from all we will be giving them. I printed a stock certificate off of the internet and filled everything out myself. He LOVED it!

happyanniversary72510.1.jpg

happyanniversary72510.2.jpg

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock

What a great way to celebrate!

Happy first anniversary, Meresal! I love the stock certificates. Very cute!

meresal

Ideal_Rock

wannaBMrsH said:
What a great way to celebrate!

Happy first anniversary, Meresal! I love the stock certificates. Very cute!

Thanks! Your trip sounds like a blast!

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

DH and I didn't have a chance to go plan anything hardcore, so we took a 3 day weekend to wine country in the Bay Area. Scored a last minute deal at an inn in Healdsburg; they have a last minute special so I scored a King-sized suite with a spa tub for 50% off! I also told them it was our anniversary, so when we got there, there were balloons, a stuffed animal, and chocolates for us.

We went all out and stuffed ourselves on a meal at Cyrus. 2 Michelin star restaurant. Really fantastic, I'd recommend the splurge. We had a caviar tasting, and being silly, did the 8 course tasting menu. Half way through, I was already stuffed! On top of it, since I also told them it was our anniversary, they brought us a second dessert. And a dessert cart where we could pick more food to take with us. Not that we could eat MORE food. It was a good thing we could walk to our inn, because we were literally bursting at the seams.

Enjoyed wine tasting, and seeing DH down every tasting offered to him. He couldn't make it past 3 wineries. Apparently, these places are very generous with their tasting pours in this down economy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results