shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally tested positive for Covid

voce

Ideal_Rock
And how about funerals? Will people be talking and singing out loud too?

Wish I can read Chinese.

Are you trying to convince yourself that if you find one little point you can hold on to that I can't explain, then you were 100% right this whole time in making such a big deal over the restrictions on weddings and church celebrations?

I think people react differently at funerals, and things could very well be as @ForteKitty explained. Plus, a small percentage of funerals are those celebration of life funerals, where yes, people will likely be singing and talking. Funerals are allowed in my part of California and I refuse to be dragged into defending every local government decision because those things are going to be different based on the circumstances, and it's not my job as a person of an independent political persuasion not working in government to defend government decisions.

With the Chinese, I was trying to express the sentiment that I thought you were being unreasonable in making such a fuss here. You had basically ridiculed and made a big deal over how weddings and church gatherings were restricted or banned while airplane flights weren't, apparently inferring that they were all equally bad at infecting people with COVID, when the science would say otherwise. Google translated it as unreasonable. I would myself translate it as "making a fuss over something without having a good reason for doing so", aka acting unreasonably. It's just a lot more condensed and succinct in Chinese, which I didn't know you couldn't read. Sorry.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am fine now, once I got sick I decided that unless it was necessary to go to the ER I would self quarantine. My husband didn't get sick, went out only as necessary and wore a mask and used sanitizer, etc. Yeah, they urge us to get tested...once I was better I was at the ER with hubby (he had kidney stones) and asked where to get tested in my town. The ER staff didn't know!! Sometime I think the water supply in this town has stupid pills in it...

:(2
Well you tried
and you are better
(Hopefully the kidney stones have gone too)

voce

Ideal_Rock
@Mrs_Strizzle how are you feeling, any better? I hope you're not experiencing any more complications. Best wishes and prayers coming your way.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
@voce , thank you for asking and well wishes! I am doing just fine. Today is day 10, so I'm going to return to work tomorrow. I'm still feeling a bit sluggish, but it may be because I'm not eating much. It seems I can only taste spicy and sour, so most everything sounds good until I put it in my mouth. I'm hoping a return to normal life will help me get back in the swing of things. I'm tired of this Bed-cation, as I've called it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait, you can't? I thought you were from HK?
Yes, but we immigrated to the US when I was 7 yrs old. I can't read nor write Chinese but I can speak Cantonese.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Yes, but we immigrated to the US when I was 7 yrs old. I can't read nor write Chinese but I can speak Cantonese.

I also immigrated to the US at age 7. The difference is learning to read early. That makes all the difference. I never had to take a single class in Chinese school, and I'm fully fluent at the high school level in Chinese, due to being able to read. I honestly can't say how many characters I'm able to hand write without having a dictionary, but in this age of electronic devices it's enough to input something phonetically and select the correct character if you recognize it. I even had a travel article I wrote in Chinese published in China.

I'm an ambitious mother-to-be because I want my future kids to learn to read Chinese like me before they go through the K-12 education.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm an ambitious mother-to-be because I want my future kids to learn to read Chinese like me before they go through the K-12 education.
My grandpa was very strict (old school type) about me learning to read and write Chinese. Everyday he would make me practice reading, writing with a brush for hours , but after he passed away in 1969 all my Chinese went out the window...:(sad

1612836392422.png

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

I'm ABC but learned to read and was able to write for a few years. We spoke it at home and had tons of books. My reading level is still pretty high, but writing is mostly gone. I also hoped my kid would be fluent, but the little sh*t refused to learn even basic words and now he can't understand a single thing. :wall: He's K right now and I enrolled him in dual immersion Spanish. Haha, take that!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm ABC but learned to read and was able to write for a few years. We spoke it at home and had tons of books. My reading level is still pretty high, but writing is mostly gone. I also hoped my kid would be fluent, but the little sh*t refused to learn even basic words and now he can't understand a single thing. :wall: He's K right now and I enrolled him in dual immersion Spanish. Haha, take that!

My sister and I are ABC and she has taught my five-year-old niece to speak Cantonese by only speaking Cantonese to her. She actually lectures us to speak in Chinese when we converse in English.

HollyJane

Shiny_Rock
Are you trying to convince yourself that if you find one little point you can hold on to that I can't explain, then you were 100% right this whole time in making such a big deal over the restrictions on weddings and church celebrations?

I think people react differently at funerals, and things could very well be as @ForteKitty explained. Plus, a small percentage of funerals are those celebration of life funerals, where yes, people will likely be singing and talking. Funerals are allowed in my part of California and I refuse to be dragged into defending every local government decision because those things are going to be different based on the circumstances, and it's not my job as a person of an independent political persuasion not working in government to defend government decisions.

With the Chinese, I was trying to express the sentiment that I thought you were being unreasonable in making such a fuss here. You had basically ridiculed and made a big deal over how weddings and church gatherings were restricted or banned while airplane flights weren't, apparently inferring that they were all equally bad at infecting people with COVID, when the science would say otherwise. Google translated it as unreasonable. I would myself translate it as "making a fuss over something without having a good reason for doing so", aka acting unreasonably. It's just a lot more condensed and succinct in Chinese, which I didn't know you couldn't read. Sorry.

Most of the funerals I have been to, not a small percentage, have involved singing, talking, crying, hugging - all the COVID-19 spreading activities. That includes the one I went to recently for my beloved neighbor.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
My sister and I are ABC and she has taught my five-year-old niece to speak Cantonese by only speaking Cantonese to her. She actually lectures us to speak in Chinese when we converse in English.

We couldn't really do that because his dad is white. :lol:

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
:(2
Well you tried
and you are better
(Hopefully the kidney stones have gone too)
Thanks Daisy, but hubby has dozens of stones and is always passing them. They have all been small thus far...hmm...that may be TMI....:shock:

voce

Ideal_Rock
We couldn't really do that because his dad is white. :lol:

My kids' dad is going to be white, too. But I'm not going to speak to them in English or respond to them when they speak English until they learn their Chinese first. My brother is an ABC who is fluent in spoken Chinese simply from having spoken it at home and watching cartoons dubbed in Chinese in the toddler years. I hope to get them to start watching some apolitical fantasy or historical Chinese dramas. There have been some entertaining ones made in the recent years.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of the funerals I have been to, not a small percentage, have involved singing, talking, crying, hugging - all the COVID-19 spreading activities. That includes the one I went to recently for my beloved neighbor.

We have only been to one funeral during Covid and there was singing by two choir members on the Church stage. There was no hugging at all and everyone (but for the choir members and the priest) wore a mask the entire time. We were super aware of being very careful as best we could. Greg and I wore face shields too. This was back in June when Covid was going super strong (not that it isn't super strong still :( ).

Definitely risky going to any kind of gatherings where there are many people in small spaces and talking and singing.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My kids' dad is going to be white, too. But I'm not going to speak to them in English or respond to them when they speak English until they learn their Chinese first. My brother is an ABC who is fluent in spoken Chinese simply from having spoken it at home and watching cartoons dubbed in Chinese in the toddler years. I hope to get them to start watching some apolitical fantasy or historical Chinese dramas. There have been some entertaining ones made in the recent years.

If we were in a multi lingual relationship I would definitely want to teach my children (if I had any haha) both languages. I think it is important and also the younger children pick it up like a sponge IMO. Learning languages is so much easier when one is younger. Also if my DH was Chinese for example I would have learned Chinese too so we could all speak both languages. JMO.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@voce , thank you for asking and well wishes! I am doing just fine. Today is day 10, so I'm going to return to work tomorrow. I'm still feeling a bit sluggish, but it may be because I'm not eating much. It seems I can only taste spicy and sour, so most everything sounds good until I put it in my mouth. I'm hoping a return to normal life will help me get back in the swing of things. I'm tired of this Bed-cation, as I've called it.

Glad you are doing better and feeling up to going back to work today! LOL I love your "Bed-cation" word. Feel good and take it slowly...don't overdo. One day, one hour at a time and be kind to yourself. Continued healing vibes being sent your way.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

Oh we had other issues regarding language. He didn't speak a single word until 3.5. When your kid is not speaking anything at all, being bilingual is the least of your concerns. We freaked out, Dr. was concerned, we started speech therapy. Nothing. He knew his ABCs by sight by 2 years old and could type out letters on a keyboard if we dictate, and if we spelled out a bunch of words and asked which is which he had no problem recognizing whole words. But not a single word was uttered until 3.5. Then he started talking and hasn't shut up since. :lol:

Whenever my mom and I would speak Chinese to him, he'd laugh and revert to not speaking, so after a while I'm just whatever. Over it, all the shame and what not. I can speak and read and know more about my culture and history than any of my friends, but how has that knowledge benefited me? Really not much at all. He can speak some Spanish already, we live in LA... he doesn't need Chinese. If he regrets it later on, it's his problem.

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
@ForteKitty just curious, what was your kid's experience with music before he started talking? I think there's some interesting relationship between music and speech.

My cousin who was precocious in speech could both talk in full sentences by age 1.5 in Chinese and English and sing with perfect pitch memorizing lyrics much better than me. I was aged 13 at that time, so it's not a comparison of an adult's memory to a child's.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Daisy, but hubby has dozens of stones and is always passing them. They have all been small thus far...hmm...that may be TMI....:shock:

Oh G-d, very bad timing Mr !
Gary only had one episode years ago, the (male) doc told us the pain is like childbirth

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
@ForteKitty just curious, what was your kid's experience with music before he started talking? I think there's some interesting relationship between music and speech.

My cousin who was precocious in speech could both talk in full sentences by age 1.5 in Chinese and English and sing with perfect pitch memorizing lyrics much better than me. I was aged 13 at that time, so it's not a comparison of an adult's memory to a child's.

We played classical music at home since he was an infant, we played all sorts of stuff. I tiger-mom'd the hell out of his first 2 years. He never hummed, never sang. He's 6 and still hates to sing, and when he has to sing for class, his pitch is... not good. I have almost perfect pitch so it sears my ears when he sings, but we still praise haha. It's weird you'd think he doesn't sing because he can't speak well, but his enunciation is crystal clear and vocab is huge. He just doesn't like artsy stuff... doesn't like to draw either. He loves mechanical/engineering youtube videos of things being taken apart and put back together. Zero interest in movies where there are stories. In fact, we are watching some dude take apart an alarm system right now. We gave him the old alarm hub to take apart and he's prepping. He already read and memorized the booklet that came with it.

Man, when he said he hated classical music it was like a knife in my back. Music was so important to me, how can my own kid want nothing to do with it? :errrr: It pains me more than him not speaking Chinese.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh we had other issues regarding language. He didn't speak a single word until 3.5. When your kid is not speaking anything at all, being bilingual is the least of your concerns. We freaked out, Dr. was concerned, we started speech therapy. Nothing. He knew his ABCs by sight by 2 years old and could type out letters on a keyboard if we dictate, and if we spelled out a bunch of words and asked which is which he had no problem recognizing whole words. But not a single word was uttered until 3.5. Then he started talking and hasn't shut up since. :lol:

Whenever my mom and I would speak Chinese to him, he'd laugh and revert to not speaking, so after a while I'm just whatever. Over it, all the shame and what not. I can speak and read and know more about my culture and history than any of my friends, but how has that knowledge benefited me? Really not much at all. He can speak some Spanish already, we live in LA... he doesn't need Chinese. If he regrets it later on, it's his problem.

Both me and Gary worked with a lovelly Chinese gentleman - Gary as a young apprentice and me years latter in a hardwear shop
Bill as a,very young child had fled the Japanese and out through Hong Kong just shy of WW2
Him and his wife have 3 beautiful extremely well educated daughters who regret mum and dad not passing on the Chinese culture, but Bill remembers going to school as a little tiny boy having acorns thrown at him because he didn't speak English
(- i think years latter when Gary was a similar age and fresh iff the boat from Birmingham he also git teased at school for his ascent )

Durring colonial times the Chinese were for generations well into the 20th century not treated fairly or equally, yet they made valuable and ongoing contributions to a young country Saddly a lot of people outside of areas that had the gold rush in the 1860s are ignorent of this

But for many years now my hometown is becoming just as proud of our chinese roots as our Scottish ones

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
We played classical music at home since he was an infant, we played all sorts of stuff. I tiger-mom'd the hell out of his first 2 years. He never hummed, never sang. He's 6 and still hates to sing, and when he has to sing for class, his pitch is... not good. I have almost perfect pitch so it sears my ears when he sings, but we still praise haha. It's weird you'd think he doesn't sing because he can't speak well, but his enunciation is crystal clear and vocab is huge. He just doesn't like artsy stuff... doesn't like to draw either. He loves mechanical/engineering youtube videos of things being taken apart and put back together. Zero interest in movies where there are stories. In fact, we are watching some dude take apart an alarm system right now. We gave him the old alarm hub to take apart and he's prepping. He already read and memorized the booklet that came with it.

Man, when he said he hated classical music it was like a knife in my back. Music was so important to me, how can my own kid want nothing to do with it? :errrr: It pains me more than him not speaking Chinese.

That's sad !
When i was a wee girl i just to change the station over to the classical stations (when dad was probably listening to the cricket)
I guess kinds find their own way when it comes to the arts

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

HAHAHA - kids and plans. My Mom can sing very well. I can sing passably well. My son loves music with a passion. Has one of the best music collections I have ever seen for a 20 something-year-old. However, he is horribly tone-deaf. Dying animal slaughter....deflating bag-pipe bad. So bad that his co-workers used to encourage him to sing because it is so terrible, it's awesome. If we put him on youtube, he would surely go viral. Poor guy. Life is just a crapshoot sometimes.

Back to the" reminded me" part. When he was five I asked him what he wanted to do when he grew up.

"Mom, I want to be a rock star".

voce

Ideal_Rock

Interesting! People who speak tonal languages are much more likely (not a statistical fluke) to have perfect pitch. It would make sense if his brain/genetics is structured in a way so that he's not inclined towards classical music and has trouble discerning tones, then maybe even trying to extract meaning from a tonal language like Chinese, would be especially traumatic. Then instead of say, ten to twenty homophones power sound, you'd have like a hundred words to pick from, if you can't discern tones.

I'm sure if it weren't so difficult for my love to get tones right, he'd be much more willing to learn Chinese. I just have to hope that my child will get my music and language genes.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
"Mom, I want to be a rock star".

Awwwww;(

Then instead of say, ten to twenty homophones power sound, you'd have like a hundred words to pick from, if you can't discern tones.

I'm sure if it weren't so difficult for my love to get tones right, he'd be much more willing to learn Chinese. I just have to hope that my child will get my music and language genes.

Neither my child nor my husband can discern tone. 2nd and 3rd tone sounds identical to them most of the time, and when I say a word and ask them to repeat, they can't match. My brother is actually the same way. I remember one time he asked for toilet paper, and said "unwed juice" :lol: (Mandarin, i'm sure it doesn't make sense in Cantonese)

Kasey Bug

Shiny_Rock
And how about funerals? Will people be talking and singing out loud too?

Wish I can read Chinese.

My 84 year old mother passed away in March 2020 from Mucormycosis. We had a graveside service but it was limited to a total of 10 people and we had to sit 6 ft apart. We weren’t able to have a reception afterwards due to restaurants being closed and we didn‘t want to chance it at one of our homes. Life goes on but it sure is a new way of doing things.

Last edited:

HollyJane

Shiny_Rock
My 84 year old mother passed away in March 2020 from Mucormycosis. We had a graveside service but it was limited to a total of 10 people and we had to sit 6 ft apart. We weren’t able to have a reception afterwards due to restaurants being closed and we didn‘t want to chance it at one of our homes. Life goes on but it sure is a new way of doing things.

That's how restricted funerals were in the USA at the start of COVID-19. However, that's not how it has been for a while now. I went to a funeral, my first during COVID-19, recently, and the only restriction was wearing masks and every other pew closed off.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm so sorry for your loss @SMGB :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results