shape
carat
color
clarity

Feral and stray cats

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
My fingers are crossed as well. I am hoping everything goes well for you, new kitty, and Chloe. Don''t forget to give us all an update. Were you able to catch her this morning to take her in? Or did you wind up catching her last night and just keeping her in a crate overnight? Did the vet have any ideas of how to help Chloe handle the newbie?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I seriously need the valium, not the cat! And a drink too, please!!!

I got all the supplies last night (new carrier, etc) for the stray and as soon as my car pulled up in the driveway and I parked she bolted out to see me. So thankfully I had put together the carrier in the parking lot at the petco
2.gif
and had gotten some food too. I opened the can and tried to get her in the carrier, eventually managing to do so.

I put her in the spare room in a large crate with a makeshift litterbox and food and water. She cried and demolished everything in the crate - flipping over the water and the litter and chewing up the shoebox I had put it in. Poor scaredy cat. She did manage to stop crying by the time I went to sleep. Chloe was definitely wary but did snuggle up to sleep with me.

This morning I took the stray in and learned:
1. She is not microchipped.
2. She IS indeed a ''she.''
3. She is NOT spayed.
4. She is approx 6 months old and her first heat is coming soon, so good thing I caught her now.
5. She does not have FIV or FeLV.
6. She is SO SWEET. Headbutting everyone and being such a love. The doctor was totally cooing over her.

So, I said to go ahead, trim her nails, give her a bath (they do regular ones, not flea, but I have Advantage at home), put the SoftPaws on her, give her the vaccines. I''ll pick her up from the vet tonight.

However - I got home this morning and set up the new kitty room. I tried to talk to Chloe, who sometime while I was home got UP ON MY BED and PEED on it.
7.gif
I am taking this to mean she''s POed and scared. I know she can hear the other cat from the room she has her food and litter in, so perhaps she doesn''t feel ''safe'' using it anymore?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Oh FG, I''m so sorry that both you and Chloe are stressed. Keep reminding yourself what a wonderful thing it is that you are doing. And get some Feliway plug-ins for Chloe if you haven''t already!

That does sound like the best possible news about the kitty - I would guess someone got her as a kitten since she is so social and then dumped her when she started to be bigger and "not as cute." Sad, but not uncommon. In any case, since she is so young and in otherwise good health it sounds like if you are willing to get her spayed and keep her for a while, even if she doesn''t end up being an OK fit with Chloe, at least you can work with a rescue group to find her a good home, which shouldn''t be as hard since she''s young and healthy and friendly. Good luck and please keep us posted!

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/2/2007 3:42:18 PM
Author: FireGoddess
I think I seriously need the valium, not the cat! And a drink too, please!!!

I got all the supplies last night (new carrier, etc) for the stray and as soon as my car pulled up in the driveway and I parked she bolted out to see me. So thankfully I had put together the carrier in the parking lot at the petco
2.gif
and had gotten some food too. I opened the can and tried to get her in the carrier, eventually managing to do so.

I put her in the spare room in a large crate with a makeshift litterbox and food and water. She cried and demolished everything in the crate - flipping over the water and the litter and chewing up the shoebox I had put it in. Poor scaredy cat. She did manage to stop crying by the time I went to sleep. Chloe was definitely wary but did snuggle up to sleep with me.

This morning I took the stray in and learned:
1. She is not microchipped.
2. She IS indeed a 'she.'
3. She is NOT spayed.
4. She is approx 6 months old and her first heat is coming soon, so good thing I caught her now.
5. She does not have FIV or FeLV.
6. She is SO SWEET. Headbutting everyone and being such a love. The doctor was totally cooing over her.

So, I said to go ahead, trim her nails, give her a bath (they do regular ones, not flea, but I have Advantage at home), put the SoftPaws on her, give her the vaccines. I'll pick her up from the vet tonight.

However - I got home this morning and set up the new kitty room. I tried to talk to Chloe, who sometime while I was home got UP ON MY BED and PEED on it.
7.gif
I am taking this to mean she's POed and scared. I know she can hear the other cat from the room she has her food and litter in, so perhaps she doesn't feel 'safe' using it anymore?
I can't believe she peed on your bed! One time my male cat peed on DH and the couch, I think he was marking his territory (saying to the others daddy is mine!), but DH "rubbed" his face in it and gave him a bath, he never did it again. But it might be because your girl is scaried the fact that she still curled up with you was a good thing. I think I would show Chloe from a distance that the new kitty can't get to her (once new kitty comes home), I think I would even let her explore the new set up for the new kitty, before new kitty gets home. I would offer her a treat and sit with her in the room with her food and litter and tell her good girl what a good Chloe or something while she eats the treat and some food (maybe with her dinner tonight?) try the treat once before kitty comes home, and then again sometime after. If you catch her peeing on your bed I think you still need to tell her that it's wrong, whether she is mad or not, it is not okay. If she refuses to go in the room with her food and litter, I would probably bring it in to your room and slowly move it back when she starts to feel comfortable again. The new kitty sounds so sweet! The fact you have 2 girls is a big plus. Have you thought of any names for her yet?

ETA: I agree with Amber those plug ins do wonders. Our vet sold them. I hope it works out for everyone, and Chloe can have a kitty friend!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Exciting!!!! Have faith that it''ll work out. Bed peeing is bad but probably temporary. Can you close the door to your room for now?

Def get two litter boxes ... and keeping them sep for a while is good -- while your baby gets used to the scents of the new cat ...

Cats are resiliant though! We''re still touch & go with our mixing four cats & a dog situation two years later -- but it has SO IMPROVED that I believe in miracles! You just have to have nerves of steel to get through the adjustment period.
9.gif
It''s worth it though!!!

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/2/2007 4:02:09 PM
Author: decodelighted
Exciting!!!! Have faith that it''ll work out. Bed peeing is bad but probably temporary. Can you close the door to your room for now?

Def get two litter boxes ... and keeping them sep for a while is good -- while your baby gets used to the scents of the new cat ...

Cats are resiliant though! We''re still touch & go with our mixing four cats & a dog situation two years later -- but it has SO IMPROVED that I believe in miracles! You just have to have nerves of steel to get through the adjustment period.
9.gif
It''s worth it though!!!
DEFINATELY!! Hang in there! You are a great person, and you will have changed the life of that kitty forever in a positive way. And I know Lucky appreciates me everytime she curls up on my lap and purrs that she couldn''t be happier (purring is LOUD!) and she just seems sooo grateful for the home! And Oreo has come to understand that I don''t plan on getting rid of her just because there is a new cat in the house.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys! I have been a little emotionally stressed but no worse for wear. Seeing that Chloe had wet on my bed was a setback, but I had a feeling it could happen. She''s so fearful and not aggressive that I knew her reaction would be more of a passive-aggressive thing. I don''t know if she did it to show me she was mad, or because she was scared to use her box in the room where she can hear (but not see) the new cat. I did move Chloe''s litterbox to my bedroom for now, so I can see if this bed thing is revenge or is fear based.

I have named the stray Holly. It just seems to fit her. I got her a collar and tag to put on when she gets home. I''m not going to spring for the microchipping just yet till I know whether we''re going to be able to keep her, and I hope that we are able to. She is such a sweetheart - no nipping or biting or even scratching. Even when she was scared in the carrier she would reach out the front door with her arm to catch something, and when it landed on me her nails were always retracted. Such a cutie. I''m getting attached.
20.gif
1.gif
DH is ecstatic to have a cat to play with, because Chloe is a hider.

The room for Holly has a full size, new litterbox (a covered one w/o the cover put on for awhile, till she ''gets it'') and scooper, water and food bowls, a few carpets. I need to make some sort of makeshift bed or something. Anyway, there are 2 doors to Holly''s new room and one is a french door from the spare bedroom which is where Chloe''s food is and litterbox was. I put a cover over the doors so they can''t see each other, but if Chloe is getting food she will be able to clearly hear Holly and smell her.

The issue is definitely going to be Chloe. She hides under the bed unless she feels totally comfortable so the introductions are going to be hard. I''m not going to yank Chloe out from under the bed - that will stress her out more. I just have to try and wait her out and see that she gets more used to the smells and sounds.

I got a plug in Feliway and put it in Holly''s new room. I also got a spray and sprayed various areas of the house in Holly''s and in Chloe''s areas. Should I get another plug in for Chloe?

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I have to say, my heart lifted when I found out the cat wasn''t spayed (meant there''s most likely no owner) and that she was virus free.
face23.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2007 4:02:09 PM
Author: decodelighted
I could close it, but probably shouldn''t. It''s Chloe''s ''home base'' where she feels most secure. She has her own rug under my bed where she stays when she''s scared. She usually lounges on my bed all day when I''m at work. It''s her safe place.

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
The plug in works to calm them. I think since Chloe is the one needing the calming, maybe just move it into her room (I''m sure some of the smell will get into Holly''s room too, we can''t smell it though). I would keep Chloe company in her room while she is eating at first especially if she''ll be able to see Holly. I might move the dishes away from the french doors if possible, just so that Chloe doesn''t feel like she''ll get pounced on if she is trying to eat. We also tried to get ours used to eachother''s smell maybe take an old t-shirt and rub it on Holly and put it near Chloe''s bed or someplace she goes a lot. And vice versa, when you make a bed area for Holly add a shirt or blanket or something you rubbed on Chloe. Our cats like sunny window spots, so if there is a couch or something in Holly''s room you can just fluff some blankets and she''ll like that especially if it has a window near by. Just "show" Holly the box. For most cats it is instinctive, so you shouldn''t have a problem with her not using it, unless it''s too tall for her to climb into.

Keep us updated! I think this is one of the most exciting threads!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2007 10:29:01 PM
Author: sumbride
Your Chloe sounds a lot like my Lucy. If her fear is that strong after 10 years, have you ever attempted to change her behavior with Prozac or other anxiety medicines? I know it seems like an odd thing to do with a cat, but it really has turned Lucy around. She was getting so stressed out that she was causing her own UTIs! We started with valium as needed, moved on to Buspirone, and then finally prozac, and it has made a tremendous difference. Now she is social when people come over, explores things, and is generally sweet and good-natured. The fact that she still doesn''t like Bill is more like a pecking order thing than anything else.

I remember that Chloe is hard to pill and doesn''t like pill pockets... that could pose a problem, but once it kicks in, it would probably be easier to administer.
I''m going to ask about the kitty Prozac when I pick up Holly. It can''t hurt, right?!

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
I would ask. Why not? We had to give our cat some when we took him on the plane (couldn''t have him meowing his head off making everyone else mad). Plus if it helps Chloe to be less stressed that''s good.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
FG, I really am very excited for you!!! I think Holly is a great name. Poor Chloe. I''d definitely check in to the kitty prozac. I think she''ll be fine, and if you have to, they can be kept separated. Maybe keep Holly out of your bedroom and let that be Chloe''s place and she won''t feel "dethroned."

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aww... poor Chloe.
7.gif
It will get better FG, it will.

Definitely use the plug in for Chloe. We bought the spray too but it did bupkis. The plug in is much better.

Chloe needs valium. Holly might need some at night but at her age I''d keep her off of it as much as possible.

She''s so YOUNG. No wonder she''s so light! She''s going to adapt fine at her age. So it''s good news. And her being disease free and everything is GREAT.

My only concern is the two females thing. At the shelter we usually recommended opposite sexes if the resident cat was territorial.

On the plus side, if things don''t work out...she''ll be easier to adopt out as she''s young. But I don''t think you are going to have to worry about that!!

It''s very stressful on the owners at the start, but you are a smart lady and very sensitive to your cats'' needs, so I have high hopes that the outcome will be brilliant!

If you need anything just ask!

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/2/2007 5:09:30 PM
Author: Gypsy
Aww... poor Chloe.
7.gif
It will get better FG, it will.

Definitely use the plug in for Chloe. We bought the spray too but it did bupkis. The plug in is much better.

Chloe needs valium. Holly might need some at night but at her age I''d keep her off of it as much as possible.

She''s so YOUNG. No wonder she''s so light! She''s going to adapt fine at her age. So it''s good news. And her being disease free and everything is GREAT.

My only concern is the two females thing. At the shelter we usually recommended opposite sexes if the resident cat was territorial.

On the plus side, if things don''t work out...she''ll be easier to adopt out as she''s young. But I don''t think you are going to have to worry about that!!

It''s very stressful on the owners at the start, but you are a smart lady and very sensitive to your cats'' needs, so I have high hopes that the outcome will be brilliant!

If you need anything just ask!
I agree that the plug in is the way to go. I wouldn''t give Holly prozac, she was noisy because she was locked up in an unfamilar place, took Lucky about 3 nights or so to adjust. It doesn''t sound like Chloe is a territorial type. I have actually have had an easier time with the females than the male & female. I think it''s more true when you have two males. Probably also depends on the personality type of the cat.

And Ditto for me too if you need anything just ask!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've read a little bit about a male and female being better than 2 females. I'm positively sure Chloe is more pathologically afraid than she is territorial. She won't defend her territory, she cowers. I'd be less worried if she was territorial, because at least she'd come out and assert her dominance!! [Unless the bed thing was her being territorial?!] Poor baby.

I will definitely be asking for help - I never thought I'd ever try to see if I could get Chloe to accept another cat. I had resigned myself to being a 1 cat parent while Chloe was around.

kohdy

Shiny_Rock
Sparkles! Your kitties are so adorable! So now you have 4? Wow... Let me know how that is working out because I am always tempted to rescue another kitty... But I keep talking myself out of it because three is already a lot to handle!!
2.gif
And the orange tabby likes to lick plastic bags? Interesting...

I have not read the entire thread, but I think I will have to once I get home this evening. This definitely looks like my kind of thread! I love kitties!!!
30.gif
Thank you everyone for sharing beautiful photos of the cats!!!
36.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, we love our kitties here Kohdy! Is that a seal point applehead siamese in your avatar?

I called the vet, who said there was 'nothing I could give Chloe' at home to calm her down.
emotion-40.gif
Just do the Feliway and keep them separate for awhile. I was hoping some sort of anxiety med could relax the old girl a little bit. Guess it's hard to even get your kitties the good meds! LOL.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2007 11:13:32 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
OH, gosh, I think I''d go for the flea killing pill myself!

FG, I have a lot of empathy for the situation because we adopted two strays a year or so ago, and there are two more cats coming into our garage to eat now!! I consider them feral because they won''t come near us and they run when we approach them. I would love to tame the young calico kitty if we could catch her!!! Ours live outside because our youngest child has allergies. She had to endure our old cats living to almost 15 inside (because they were here first), so we just can''t do that to her again. But we have a large garage where they have beds and food, as well as a yard in a neighborhood with no thru traffic. The way I look at it is that they were living outside before we started feeding them so they''d still be outside if we didn''t! But we took the first two to the vet and had them spayed and given shots, but I cannot do it with these I can''t even catch. The little calico is obviously female, so I do need to try and catch her before there are baby kitties. But thus far, I have not been able to catch her.
I feel for you too - it''s hard to see these guys and want to care for them but they won''t come near you! I learned that the local SPCA rents out humane traps!!! So I assume they all do it? It''s a $50 refundable deposit and only $1 a day to rent the trap! Maybe you can catch the skittish ones that way so they can get fixed. Good luck - it takes a big heart which obviously you have!!

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Kohdy: Yep, we have 4 of them... It was DH''s idea to get number 4, because "we didn''t have a grey one yet". That was just his excuse to say he loves kitties and wanted another. It''s working out okay so far. The grey one and the orange one like to play like mad and run around the house. The grey one hasn''t clued into the fact that the other 2 don''t like to be chased much. Lucky (the black kitty) will often hide behind the TV from her. And Oreo the fraidy cat, just runs away and sometimes will growl, but she shrugs it off more so now. Oreo is used to being chased by the orange kitty though, although she doesn''t like it when he does it either. So they are still in the adjustment phase of everything. It is nice to see the orange kitty have a friend that likes to play too though since the other 2 prefer to sit around all day. It is interesting at breakfast and dinner, since we don''t let them free feed, we have 4 separate spots for them to eat. We had to figure out what order to feed them in, because we have one that gobbles her food and then tries to eat everyone elses, we have 2 that take their sweet time (15 minutes...) and another one that doesn''t eat much. So of course we feed them and then have to spend like 15 minutes watching them like a hawk so little gobbler doesn''t get fat... again.

Firegoddess: I don''t think vets really like to give out antianxiety meds much. I forgot why I had asked for it one other time, and the vet didn''t want to do. Hopefully the phermone thing will work though and you won''t have to worry about it. I would call the vet back though if Chloe is still terrified in a day or so.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
They told you no on the meds??? Geez.... They should at least give it a shot! Especially since she''s peeing on your bed now... that''s definitely a sign of anxiety. Lucy did that too.

Have you heard of Bach''s "Rescue Remedy"? It''s a homeopathic concoction you can add to her water, or dispense directly to Chloe to calm her down. It''s supposed to be really helpful when you''re getting a new cat as well. I talked to my vet about it and we both said we weren''t sure if it was the flower essences or the alcohol they were put in that helped, but I think I''m leaning toward the alcohol. Calms them RIGHT down!
2.gif
I really do think it would be worth it to use valium in the short term and prozac in the long term for Chloe... her anxiety is paralyzing and it really doesn''t have to be. How much do you like your vet? Willing to shop around?

I think all it took to get Lucy her meds was to let them 1) try to clean her ears and 2) wake her up from a dental where she was in a lot of pain. She got the infamous sticker on her file "warning: MAY bite." They told me that was better than the one that said "Will Bite!" but only by a little. After about 4 UTIs and lots of peeing on the bed, we switched her to prozac and I am eternally grateful.

Oh, and definitely put the plug-in in Chloe''s area. Holly may need one too, but Chloe DEFINITELY needs one. Good luck! and I''m so glad Holly is so healthy!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sum - I'm going to buy this rescue remedy on the way home. And another feliway plug in. Can't hurt to have more than one.
37.gif
And no - this isn't our regular vet - this place was picked because I could get the rapid virus testing done. Never been there before. So shopping around is an option. Even our new 'regular vet' is new - only been there once since we've moved.

ETA: where can I find this rescue remedy stuff?

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/2/2007 7:44:22 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Sum - I''m going to buy this rescue remedy on the way home. And another feliway plug in. Can''t hurt to have more than one.
37.gif
And no - this isn''t our regular vet - this place was picked because I could get the rapid virus testing done. Never been there before. So shopping around is an option. Even our new ''regular vet'' is new - only been there once since we''ve moved.

ETA: where can I find this rescue remedy stuff?
It was in one of my friend''s catalogs, and I''m sure it''s online, not that that helps much. Can you search or call a Petsmart website perhaps? I''ve actually heard this stuff works really good for some things (but that was in a dog).

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tried Pet Club - no luck. Just called Vitamin Shoppe - SCORE! Leaving now....
35.gif
Hope tonight is somewhat calmer!
37.gif

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Glad you found it! And that you called around otherwise that would have been some wasted trips. Vitamin Shoppe huh? Wouldn''t have guessed that, good to know though! Let us know how it goes! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
35.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
RESCUE REMEDY! I can''t believe I forgot that!

That''s what we gave Duncan when we first got him, and when we were trying to get him to accept the DOG. He was dog PHOBIC.

It helped... and since Chloe seems phobic-- it might help her too!

With Duncan it took 6 months to get him used to the dog. I had to CARRY him around the house. Except in the bedroom, which the dog wasn''t allowed in. I had to HIDE him under a blanket for the first FIVE months because he thought that if HE couldn''t see the dog-- the dog wouldn''t see HIM. He used to lay on the couch, in my lap... all under the blanket. And if he had to go pee he''d SPRINT to the litter box in the bedroom and then STAY in that room.

Valium... which our vet prescribed for ours for the cross country drive (Duncan gets so scared he hyperventalates and starts drooling and peeing. Complete loss of body control when he gets freaked.) can cause liver damage. He only used it the first two mornings of the drive... and the first three nights. Our vet told us to be very careful.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2007 7:20:21 PM
They told you no on the meds??? Geez.... They should at least give it a shot! Especially since she''s peeing on your bed now... that''s definitely a sign of anxiety. Lucy did that too.

Have you heard of Bach''s ''Rescue Remedy''? It''s a homeopathic concoction you can add to her water, or dispense directly to Chloe to calm her down. It''s supposed to be really helpful when you''re getting a new cat as well. I talked to my vet about it and we both said we weren''t sure if it was the flower essences or the alcohol they were put in that helped, but I think I''m leaning toward the alcohol. Calms them RIGHT down!
2.gif
I really do think it would be worth it to use valium in the short term and prozac in the long term for Chloe... her anxiety is paralyzing and it really doesn''t have to be. How much do you like your vet? Willing to shop around?

I think all it took to get Lucy her meds was to let them 1) try to clean her ears and 2) wake her up from a dental where she was in a lot of pain. She got the infamous sticker on her file ''warning: MAY bite.'' They told me that was better than the one that said ''Will Bite!'' but only by a little. After about 4 UTIs and lots of peeing on the bed, we switched her to prozac and I am eternally grateful.

Oh, and definitely put the plug-in in Chloe''s area. Holly may need one too, but Chloe DEFINITELY needs one. Good luck! and I''m so glad Holly is so healthy!!!
I think my midwife gave that to me while I was in labor! If it''s the same stuff it definitely does take the edge off.

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/2/2007 8:32:16 PM
Author: lumpkin

Have you heard of Bach''s ''Rescue Remedy''? It''s a homeopathic concoction you can add to her water, or dispense directly to Chloe to calm her down. It''s supposed to be really helpful when you''re getting a new cat as well. I talked to my vet about it and we both said we weren''t sure if it was the flower essences or the alcohol they were put in that helped, but I think I''m leaning toward the alcohol. Calms them RIGHT down!
2.gif

I think all it took to get Lucy her meds was to let them 1) try to clean her ears and 2) wake her up from a dental where she was in a lot of pain. She got the infamous sticker on her file ''warning: MAY bite.'' They told me that was better than the one that said ''Will Bite!'' but only by a little. After about 4 UTIs and lots of peeing on the bed, we switched her to prozac and I am eternally grateful.

I think my midwife gave that to me while I was in labor! If it''s the same stuff it definitely does take the edge off.
Yeah LOL I think they make it for people too!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2007 9:08:32 PM
Author: Sparkles22
Date: 5/2/2007 8:32:16 PM

Author: lumpkin

Yeah LOL I think they make it for people too!

It''s the same stuff!!! works on people and animals!

kohdy

Shiny_Rock
Firegoddess,

Congratulations on Holly! I am so happy to hear of your decision. I know you're a little uncomfortable with the way Chloe is reacting to the situation at this time, but I think Holly will actually do her some good. I have three cats and I want to tell you a story about them. Hopefully by the time I am done with it, you'll feel more comfortable. I will try my best to keep it as brief as possible...

I adopted Cherry when she was about two. She was very scared at first but that did not last too long. In fact, she turned out to be a very confident cat although it was apparent that she did not enjoy all the hugs and kisses I had to offer.
8.gif
Being deprived of love being returned, I decided it was time to adopt a second cat. I named him Bobo.

From the beginning, I knew Bobo was a timid cat. He was hiding and didn't seem a bit interested in people. This, for some reason, made me want him even more. I was going to somehow break him out of his shell and turn him into the friendly cat I always wanted. Well, I was wrong.
7.gif
All he wanted to do for the first year was to HIDE. He was pretty much behaving like Chloe: scared of anything and everything! To make matters worse, Cherry did not like his companion so much although she was not terribly upset with his presence. Cherry definitely made sure that Bobo was aware of her feelings: she hissed at him all the time! If Bobo did as much to look her way, he would hear Cherry hissing at him!

Right about when Bobo turned 1, I knew I needed to do something to make things better for everyone. This is when I found Muffin at yet another animal shelter. Muffin, from the beginning, was very friendly and loved attention. When I brought her home, it really was interesting because Cherry was now very upset with the whole situation. She was now hissing at Bobo, Muffin, me and my hubby! She did not want any of it! Bobo, the scaredy cat, was even more scared than ever! I was thinking... what have I done? Despite all this, Muffin did not want to be separated from the other two, so she was following them around whenver she could, maybe even harrass them a little. She did not seem to mind all the hissing and occasional slapping! She also demanded love and affection from me and my husband, which made us very happy!

Now you must be wondering... does this story have a happy ending? You bet!!! Bobo is now more well-adjusted than before. I can't say that he's no longer scared, but he seems to have gotten a little more confident. Muffin, having turned into his best friend, seems to have brought out confidence in Bobo. Bobo still likes to hide, but he will come out a lot more often, and will act "BOLD" at times, which completely blows my mind. He also started cuddling with me at night, which he never did when Muffin wasn't around. Cherry too has found peace with herself. Now she can enjoy the solitude which she seeks so hard, but has companions to play with when she's in the mood. She only hisses occasionally! She's also a lot less cranky these days, which makes me happier!!! The only set back... Muffin has picked up that attitude from the other two... She no longer wants to be held and buried in never-ending kisses. She will tolerate, but she will start to growl after a while.
2.gif
Oh, I almost forgot... Bobo and Muffin are totally inseparable now. They are always hugging each other, licking each other, playing with each other, etc! It is absolutely adorable to watch the two together!!!

Anyway, please keep us updated on your new baby Holly! Best of luck to you on your new journey! I really hope Chloe will be happy with her new companion!!!
36.gif

PS All three of my babies are mutts! Bobo and Muffin are believed to be half Siamese, but no one really knows for sure!
2.gif

Mycutiepies.JPG

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so late to this thread, but I wanted to tell you I think you are wonderful for adopting Holly!!! Yay for you!!! Chloe will settle down in time, I have had to add stray and new cats often with existing nervous cats and it has always worked out fine in the end! Holly might help Chloe too by giving her confidence, plus Holly is so young, Chloe will accept her easier than if she was an adult. Hang in there FG, it will work out and you will have twice the joy of two wonderful cats!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results