shape
carat
color
clarity

Emergency situation - Need new ring by Christmas!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just let Victor know your timeline, which you probably did. Maybe he can squeeze it in. :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo|1417279712|3792308 said:

I really think that if you are on a timeline you should buy this diamond. It's a great stone. As for settings. Call Dimend Scassi, MAKE SURE YOU TELL THEM YOU ARE A PRICESCOPE (They won't set outside stones in their settings unless you do):

And get THIS setting: http://www.dimendscaasi.com/settings/settings-platinum-Pave-set-rings-set-diamond-engagement-rings-riley

I think it's perfect for her. And it will look fantastic with a cushion.

VirtualBoston

Rough_Rock
So far that B2C is a winner. I'm still about 3-4 days before I need to pick one :)

Bob from Whiteflash will be looking at a diamond for me tomorrow:
2.55ctw VS2, I, Excellent, Excellent, Faint fluorescence. With Whiteflash you need to pay up front to have the bring the diamond into their store and have a complete gemologist analysis, ASET and 40x imagery done. - $17740 wire price

Here are the recommendations from James Allen
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/all-diamonds/?TabSelected=3&DiamondID=369650,165965,274378

Gypsy, thanks for continuing to look for settings. Just not a fan of the Scaasi setting. Just too busy in my opinion and I don't think she would like that.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those are horrendous. Never let sales people at JA or B2C pick stones for you. They frankly suck at it.

VirtualBoston

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1417382026|3792933 said:
Those are horrendous. Never let sales people at JA or B2C pick stones for you. They frankly suck at it.

And this is the reason I stopped lurking on PriceScope and decided to create an account and start asking questions! :appl:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't really wait around and risk loosing this stone. It is very very rare to find a cushion cut in this facet pattern.

VirtualBoston

Rough_Rock
CharmyPoo|1417388845|3792991 said:
I wouldn't really wait around and risk loosing this stone. It is very very rare to find a cushion cut in this facet pattern.

Would you mind explaining what makes this stone so amazing? The more thorough the explanation, the better.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a DIY site, to a certain extent (when we have answered certain questions too many times to retype it all again).

I am going to link you to threads that will answer your question for you, but you will have to read through them and click on the links and follow them, okay?

Read all the posts in this thread, and follow the links I post:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-and-looking-for-help-choosing-cushion-cut-diamond-to-oz.205195/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-and-looking-for-help-choosing-cushion-cut-diamond-to-oz.205195/[/URL]

Then all the posts in this one:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-need-opinions-about-this-cushion-cut-diamond-pics.206771/#post-3763672#p3763672']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-need-opinions-about-this-cushion-cut-diamond-pics.206771/#post-3763672#p3763672[/URL]

That should answer your questions. :wavey:

VirtualBoston

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1417409713|3793094 said:
This is a DIY site, to a certain extent (when we have answered certain questions too many times to retype it all again).

I am going to link you to threads that will answer your question for you, but you will have to read through them and click on the links and follow them, okay?
That should answer your questions. :wavey:

Gypsy,

I've read through the articles, very thoroughly, and they are very educational!

I could not find the answer to the question that I was asking earlier, or at least wasn't able to decipher it from the data.
You stated, "It is very very rare to find a cushion cut in this facet pattern with regards to this diamond from B2C.
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-6464503-2.20-carat-Cushion-diamond-G-color-SI1-clarity.aspx""

I happened to be looking at another diamond from Whiteflash that happens to be quite nice and almost the same facet pattern.
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut-loose-diamond-3269496.htm

1.Why is this very very rare?
2.What makes this facet pattern "better" than other?

Additionally, a local jeweler was offering this diamond <GIA Cert attached> to me for $17,500. It is still eye-clean, but there are two tiny bubbles visible at 10x

Attachments

• 3165941239.pdf
    577.3 KB · Views: 26

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Where did I say that a diamond with that facet pattern is rare? I don't see that statement in any of my posts in this thread.

They are not that rare at all. B2C actually has a great selection of them especially in the 1 carat range. But cushions at that size and with that performance in your budget are rare, though. So it's the combination of size, performance, and budget.

And the stones you post from WF: that is a sample image. And there is no ASET posted. So you have no idea how it perfroms or even what it looks like.

As for the stone at your local jeweler. If you read what I posted in those older threads you know that a lab report tells you nothing about a stones performance. So as there is no ASET and no picture... there's nothing I can tell you about it.

noscrusir

Shiny_Rock
What Gypsy said. The image on Whiteflash is a sample image only and not of the actual stone itself. If you look up the two GIA certificates they are not similar in faceting at all. Without actual images, video or ASET, it can be difficult to compare the performance of cushions.

Not of the one from your local jeweler either. I don't like the faceting and if you're buying a large stone, I'd be very hesitant to go down to SI2. If you read through the threads Gypsy linked to, try to identify the type of look/faceting you like in a cushion and ask Bryan at Whiteflash to help you find something within your preferences. Goodluck!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am late to respond on why it is rare ... for many years, there was very very little stock on 8 main pavilion cushion diamonds (many threads on here to prove that). This is primarily because the yield rate on these cushions is very low especially when compared to other patterns. These rough shapes are often cut into round diamonds as the cutters can get more for it. As a result, 8 main pavilion cushions often cost more than 4 main modern cushions which cost more than "crushed" ice. Even if you look on Blue Nile (not signature) or James Allen (huge inventories) .. finding an 8 main pavilion cushion is hard.

There is one Belgium cutter that supplied 8 mains and also BBUCUTTER (which for some reason I seem to think is related to B2C). BBUCUTTER didn't have the 8 main pavilion cushions for a long time but maybe they have stock now.

With Blue Nile's signature cushions, the access to 8 main pavilions became much more accessible but they have a different look from the other 8 main pavilion cushions in the market.

I am biased because I have an 8 main pavilion modern cushion which I simply adore after comparing it to many other modern cushion facet types.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some 8 mains ARE duds though. You NEED an ASET. If a vendor can't get you one, it's time to move on. Exception to this rule is the BN Hearts and Arrows.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1417675047|3794992 said:
Some 8 mains ARE duds though. You NEED an ASET. If a vendor can't get you one, it's time to move on. Exception to this rule is the BN Hearts and Arrows.

I think this is true of all diamonds unless they are specialty cuts with strict standards.

VirtualBoston

Rough_Rock
Late reply here because it's been a busy week.

@Gypsy, my apologies for saying that you said it was a "Rare" facet pattern. Just glanced at the wrong username.

I have been working with Bob Hoskins from Whiteflash over the last week and have finally settled on a diamond.
We went through the extensive virtual inventory and he finally picked a few that he thought I'd be happy with. I selected one diamond to be sent Whiteflash for analysis and imaging.

Attached are the images of the actual diamond, ASET and Idealscope. Bob seems like a straightforward guy, since he did steer me away from many other diamonds, so when he called me and told me that the diamond looked great, had wonderful brilliance, was eye-clean and very white face-up, I decided to make the purchase. Also, there is a 10 day return policy, if I'm not happy.

After viewing a wide-variety of settings from a few different jewelers,this Caro74 setting (http://goo.gl/1hmyxd) was still my favorite in person. It met the limited requirements of my girlfriend and personally, I'm also a big fan of the comfort euro shank, which makes the ring just a tad more unique because you don't see that style very often. Simple, but has some nice bling as well :D

GIA cert of the stone is in my post above

_24876.jpg

gia2186229358-idealscope.jpg

di_gia2186229358.jpg

glam_gia2186229358.jpg

noscrusir

Shiny_Rock
It looks like a crushed ice diamond with many tiny sparkles everwhere. I know many here aren't a fan of that look but maybe that's what appeals to you. The ASET is not bright red like I personally prefer but again, your stone is your stone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't buy it. There all that mushy leakage under the table.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Gross ...

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Why are you so resistant to buying the diamond Gyspy posted? It is by far the best cushion diamond that has been posted on this thread.

VirtualBoston

Rough_Rock
CharmyPoo|1417743724|3795401 said:
Why are you so resistant to buying the diamond Gyspy posted? It is by far the best cushion diamond that has been posted on this thread.

Trust me, I tried.....

The diamond was gone from B2C. Someone from here probably grabbed it for all I know. I tried to put a hold on it and I couldn't, since I didn't have immediate access to the funds. It turns out that Etrade, where I wanted to send the wire from, does not send wires to anyone but the account holder. So, I had to send money from Etrade, to my "local" banking account and then that account to the diamond dealer.

My local bank, which is no longer local to me, also requires you to be in person to sign the wire. Needless to say, it was a huge pain in the ass. I don't remember this many difficulties when I bought my house!

Now my new dilemma is that I've gone to a few jewelers over the last two weeks, who have provided nothing special or their prices are OUTRAGEOUS!

Should I seriously be questioning Whiteflash?
They seem to have a solid reputation, as does Bob (he's probably been in this industry longer than most people on here who are buying diamonds), and the diamond that he picks after long conversations and searching ends up being a dud?!?!?

:wall: :wall: :wall:

noscrusir

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to hear your dilemma. From all accounts, Whiteflash is indeed a very reputable vendor. I don't hesitate to think for a second that Bryan (TexasLeaguer) will let you settle for a diamond that you're not completely happy with. You need to be very specific about the type of cushion parameters you're looking for. Without details, the vendor might pick a very generic cushion that not perform the way you were expecting but meets all other C's you stated. If we did not say anything, would you still be unhappy with the selection? Try to narrow down what appeals to YOU, and you do that by researching the types of cushions carefully - seeing what's out there and then narrowing down what you like (not necessary what I or others on here might prefer).

We're all happy to help by giving suggestions and in the end want you to end up with the absolute right stone that works for you. I'm sure the folks at WF feel the same way too. :)

Keep in mind your budget restraints. You wanted a very large stone with a budget that might not get you the best cut within that range. Talk it over with the vendor. We're happy to help you look as well.

VirtualBoston

Rough_Rock
noscrusir|1417751232|3795479 said:
Sorry to hear your dilemma. From all accounts, Whiteflash is indeed a very reputable vendor. I don't hesitate to think for a second that Bryan (TexasLeaguer) will let you settle for a diamond that you're not completely happy with.
We're all happy to help by giving suggestions and in the end want you to end up with the absolute right stone that works for you. I'm sure the folks at WF feel the same way too. :)

Keep in mind your budget restraints. You wanted a very large stone with a budget that might not get you the best cut within that range. Talk it over with the vendor. We're happy to help you look as well.

You're quite spot on with your observations. I've seen diamonds in person that were claimed to be amazing by jewelers that didn't strike me in that way at all. It's almost like we're dealing with wine here. You need to find what you like and stick with it.

I obviously take other's opinions into consideration, and appreciate the wonderful help, but as you said we all have our preferences, so I'll see how this one looks in-person. I knew from the get-go that $20k wasn't getting me an "A Cut Above" diamond. And one thing that I've learned is that sometimes too many opinions can make you go crazy :wacko:

Whiteflash was great to work with form beginning to end. None of my in-store experiences were enjoyable. No one was even close to being as friendly and helpful as Whiteflash. Maybe it's the southern hospitality? :D

My timeframe has obviously put a strain on the process, but doing it at this time of year will be important and memorable to the both of us. It will also be one of the few days of the year when we spend time with my family, her family and many of our friends, so we can share the day with everyone. We then leave for 9 days in Europe the next day, so it's going to be a great way to celebrate!! :)

I just wish the next 3 weeks would go by a lot faster

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your budget is on the low side. I am sure WF did the best they could. WF is reputable. But of all the 'regularly recommended' vendors on here WF is LEAST used for cushions. They are not recommended for cushions. When you want a cushion WF is not even on the radar.

I would suggest you contact Brilliantly Engaged instead. Make sure you tell them you want a 2 carat or larger stone. BUT a 2.5 carat. And tell them performance and faceting are very important to you.

Foot locker is a great shoe store. But if you want a pair of evening dress shoes... not the best choice of vendor. Doesn't mean Foot Locker isn't a great shoe store. They just aren't the right store for evening dress shoes.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Ditto to what Gyspy said. WF is a great vendor and I like them a lot but they just aren't seen as the go to for a cushion primarily because we don't see a lot of great cushions from them on here. Let me go browse around and see if there are other nice cushions that meets your parameters.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results