shape
carat
color
clarity

Dreamer''s upgrade -- 1.66ct J VS1!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2010 2:15:14 AM
Author: yssie

Date: 5/19/2010 1:00:59 AM
Author: dreamer_d

Date: 5/19/2010 12:56:13 AM
I''ll be honest, I prefer the 3mm, but I''m not really loving either. Your ering band is flatter, like it has a lower dome, I think a 3mm with the same curvature would be perfect
30.gif

Could you have stock pipe cut filed, perhaps?
Yes, this is the problem. The profile is like a pipe cut but the edges are softened. I don''t see anything stock like that unfortunately, but maybe they can customize it for me at eweddingbands.com? I don''t want to spend a whole lot to have a CAD done or anything...
Definitely won''t hurt to ask
4.gif
if eweddingbands won''t do it, you might inquire at weddingringhotline.com, they filed a band down for me when eweddingbands wouldn''t - at no extra charge. Took about 3wks to ship though.
What did they change on the band for you? did they make it thinner?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2010 6:22:38 AM
Author: motownmama
I prefer the 3mm myself - just as is, actually.

btw - I would NEVER change this ring, but if you''re hankering for a 3-stone I''d put those EC''s back with you''re sapphire (now RHR) but that just MEEEEEEEEEEE.....
LOL! Maybe I do need a three stone ring to stand alone
11.gif
Best of both worlds?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Christie and Susi!

Katie and Feb
Maybe I will try wearing the diamond band again today and see how I feel about it
4.gif

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Hi Dreamer!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Your new ring looks fabulous on you and the size difference is really noticeable. I was gone on vacation for a few days, but came back this morning to read through your whole thread. Very exciting and I hope one day to have such a fabulous ring on my finger. Enjoy!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/19/2010 12:56:13 AM
I''ll be honest, I prefer the 3mm, but I''m not really loving either. Your ering band is flatter, like it has a lower dome, I think a 3mm with the same curvature would be perfect
30.gif

Could you have stock pipe cut filed, perhaps?

Ditto. I like the 3mm better - it just seems to match or compliment the e-ring better.

But I think something can be done to make it even better (i.e. filing).

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/19/2010 12:14:48 PM

What did they change on the band for you? did they make it thinner?
Yes - they took it down from 2mm to 1.5, and filed the inside edges so it was almost circular in xsection. Maybe they can do something like that on the outer edges of a pipe cut..

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Your set is so gorgeous!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Tigian!

RaiKai and Yssie, I will look into have a pipe cut band''s edges smoothed. I actually think 2.5mm is the perfect width. In person I feel like the 2mm is too thin and the 3mm is too thick.

Vesper Of course you love my set, it is just like yours but 15% smaller
9.gif

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been busy getting grades in -- end of the semester. I finally had some time to look at all your new photos, Dreamer. I have to say I love
30.gif
your new ring!!!

The J color is so beautiful. And I do know what you mean by the stone having a silver/grey cast to it. "Steely" is a good word for it. My I color stone has a silver cast to it in some lights. It''s a very different body color than my M or J stones, which definitely had warmer, beige or champagne undertones in some lights.

The setting is really very nice on your hand, and like yssie and some of the others, I like the 3 mm band and suggest you have a pipe cut band''s edges "rounded" to match the edges of your e-ring.

I also think your eternity band looks great with the new diamond -- that''s my favorite combo.

Enjoy wearing it -- Happy anniversary!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer, I also vote for the 3mm band simply because it seems like there''s too much of a contrast between your new e-ring and the 2mm band. But I definitely understand what you mean about the 3mm band being not quite perfect.

I believe Novell makes a new band called "Sensual" that is more like a pipe cut, but with the sides smoothed out a bit. I tried looking on their website, but couldn''t find it. That''s the 2.5mm that I''m waiting on my local store to get in for me to see, so I can decide whether I want the 2.5mm flat-edge band that also doesn''t look quite right with my e-ring because the edge is too flat when compared to my e-ring, or this new "Sensual" one. I''ll post pics once I get to see it - about another week or so, I''m hoping.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 1:19:35 PM
Author: sandyandisaac
Dreamer, I also vote for the 3mm band simply because it seems like there''s too much of a contrast between your new e-ring and the 2mm band. But I definitely understand what you mean about the 3mm band being not quite perfect.

I believe Novell makes a new band called ''Sensual'' that is more like a pipe cut, but with the sides smoothed out a bit. I tried looking on their website, but couldn''t find it. That''s the 2.5mm that I''m waiting on my local store to get in for me to see, so I can decide whether I want the 2.5mm flat-edge band that also doesn''t look quite right with my e-ring because the edge is too flat when compared to my e-ring, or this new ''Sensual'' one. I''ll post pics once I get to see it - about another week or so, I''m hoping.
Thanks S&I! But is it only me or is the name of that band by Novell sort of
14.gif
hee hee I don''t know why but it is creepy to me! I think I am going to pop by a local jeweler and see if they have some different styles of wbs I can try to see if I can identify the best match!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 12:25:05 PM
Author: sarap333
I''ve been busy getting grades in -- end of the semester. I finally had some time to look at all your new photos, Dreamer. I have to say I love
30.gif
your new ring!!!

The J color is so beautiful. And I do know what you mean by the stone having a silver/grey cast to it. ''Steely'' is a good word for it. My I color stone has a silver cast to it in some lights. It''s a very different body color than my M or J stones, which definitely had warmer, beige or champagne undertones in some lights.

The setting is really very nice on your hand, and like yssie and some of the others, I like the 3 mm band and suggest you have a pipe cut band''s edges ''rounded'' to match the edges of your e-ring.

I also think your eternity band looks great with the new diamond -- that''s my favorite combo.

Enjoy wearing it -- Happy anniversary!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

The eternity ring with my new J is growing on me

2.gif
I have been wearing them together the last two days and digging it! But I still do want a plain band too, for more casual wear
2.gif
If a 1.6ct diamond can ever really be casual
4.gif
10.gif

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 2:01:23 PM
Date: 5/20/2010 12:25:05 PM

Author: sarap333

If a 1.6ct diamond can ever really be casual
4.gif
10.gif

Good one, Dreamer. Diet Coke all over my keyboard!

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on your upgrade, Dreamer! It is FAN-tastic! You are quite the picture taker. Keep those pics coming! Oh--and I really like the look of your e-ring with your eternity ring--so pretty.

jill_s

Brilliant_Rock
DD - just came back for a second look. I just love your new setting and stone! As for wbands, I'm with everyone else who said that you should get one that matches the shank of your ering, and I vote for one that's 2.5mm. Of the bands you have, I like the dream band best!
30.gif
Your new ring and the dream band look like a match made in heaven, and I think it's a shame that you don't wear them that way all the time! The plain band looks nice too, but I just really love your dream band. That combo is so beautiful!!!

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
dreamer d....help!!! Thank you for posting on my post! Can you tell me the difference in the size of you old SLEEK Lines and this new setting. It looks more substantial. I want to be able to pair my ring with all sorts of stuff and not have it look morfed. You said the old setting kind of bugged you that way.... How about the new setting???

Thank you for your help. WOOOBUG

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 1:58:58 PM

Thanks S&I! But is it only me or is the name of that band by Novell sort of
14.gif
hee hee I don't know why but it is creepy to me! I think I am going to pop by a local jeweler and see if they have some different styles of wbs I can try to see if I can identify the best match!

Yeah, I didn't appreciate the name of it either!

Have fun checking out different wedding bands at your local stores, and I hope you can find one that matches well.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 4:32:13 PM
Author: woobug02
dreamer d....help!!! Thank you for posting on my post! Can you tell me the difference in the size of you old SLEEK Lines and this new setting. It looks more substantial. I want to be able to pair my ring with all sorts of stuff and not have it look morfed. You said the old setting kind of bugged you that way.... How about the new setting???

Thank you for your help. WOOOBUG
The old setting was impossible to pair with diamond bands without a noticable difference in heights. The shank was 2.5mm wide and less then 1.5mm thick. You could also wear it sitting flush to other bands because the head is recessed and the shank tapers. My current basket setting is about 2.5mm wide as well but it is about 1.8mm thick between the fingers. I love it, even though it is not as sleek and smooth and dainty as the sleek line, it can match anything. There is a gap, though, because of the basket. So you need to figues out what factors matter to you I guess! I don''t mind a gap but want matching thickness. Maybe you feel differently?

I will take some more pictures soon and show better how well the diamond band matches up but it is perfect.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 3:28:34 PM
Author: hmr_mama
Congrats on your upgrade, Dreamer! It is FAN-tastic! You are quite the picture taker. Keep those pics coming! Oh--and I really like the look of your e-ring with your eternity ring--so pretty.
Thanls HMR! I hope you are enjoying your own new upgrade too! Has it shrunk at all?
2.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 3:44:21 PM
Author: jill_s
DD - just came back for a second look. I just love your new setting and stone! As for wbands, I''m with everyone else who said that you should get one that matches the shank of your ering, and I vote for one that''s 2.5mm. Of the bands you have, I like the dream band best!
30.gif
Your new ring and the dream band look like a match made in heaven, and I think it''s a shame that you don''t wear them that way all the time! The plain band looks nice too, but I just really love your dream band. That combo is so beautiful!!!
I have been wearing my diamond band for a couple days and I am liking it more and more!
5.gif
My only concern is that the girdles of the diamonds will eat away at the basket
15.gif
I have been putting the ring on the same direction all the time to try and keep the damage on only one side, but still it worries me. Nothing to be done, though, and it is not my *forever* setting, whatever the heck that is
41.gif

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 6:38:38 PM
Date: 5/20/2010 3:44:21 PM

DD - just came back for a second look. I just love your new setting and stone! As for wbands, I'm with everyone else who said that you should get one that matches the shank of your ering, and I vote for one that's 2.5mm. Of the bands you have, I like the dream band best!
30.gif
Your new ring and the dream band look like a match made in heaven, and I think it's a shame that you don't wear them that way all the time! The plain band looks nice too, but I just really love your dream band. That combo is so beautiful!!!

I have been wearing my diamond band for a couple days and I am liking it more and more!
5.gif
My only concern is that the girdles of the diamonds will eat away at the basket
15.gif
I have been putting the ring on the same direction all the time to try and keep the damage on only one side, but still it worries me. Nothing to be done, though, and it is not my *forever* setting, whatever the heck that is
41.gif

I'm so glad you are getting into the diamond band with the new ring- its a sensational combination as many here have agreed..

So what's it like for you, with the larger stone, reactions?... you feeling comfortable? Its an adjustment for sure walking around with a larger stone among friends, family and strangers...takes getting used to.. how's it going... you are so articulate Dreamer, and I'm really interested in your impressions, because I have found it really is an adjustment to establish a comfort level with a noticeably larger stone.

Your impressions so appreciated.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I''m so excited I can finally see your pics! The size is fabulous on your finger. I know what you mean about how you don''t love the contrast between the big stone & the melee in your eternity band. I prefer my M color all by itself too- though I like the face up color, I don''t like it contrasting with anything else.

I think I like yours with your 2mm band best.

That is a lovely solitaire BTW. Doesn''t look temp at all- the prongs are really delicate and perfect. That''s cool to see your photo montage of the sizes you''ve worn. I think the 1.666 is perfection really. And super white!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 10:23:11 PM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
I'm so excited I can finally see your pics! The size is fabulous on your finger. I know what you mean about how you don't love the contrast between the big stone & the melee in your eternity band. I prefer my M color all by itself too- though I like the face up color, I don't like it contrasting with anything else.

I think I like yours with your 2mm band best.

That is a lovely solitaire BTW. Doesn't look temp at all- the prongs are really delicate and perfect. That's cool to see your photo montage of the sizes you've worn. I think the 1.666 is perfection really. And super white!
Thanks LGK! The eternity band is actually growing on me a lot paired with my e-ring. I think it just takes getting used to. This size diamond actually has a very different appearance I am finding, the facets are larger and just changes the way the diamond faces. It is more dynamic and in part *that* results in a different look from the melee size diamonds. But I have worn it now paired with my diamond band for a couple of days and I am really liking it more. This J is so much less tinted than the K I had. I would wager that only the most color perceptive person could even detect any tint at all. Yet is has life and warmth. I am really loving it a lot.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 7:11:47 PM
Author: gardengloves

I'm so glad you are getting into the diamond band with the new ring- its a sensational combination as many here have agreed..

So what's it like for you, with the larger stone, reactions?... you feeling comfortable? Its an adjustment for sure walking around with a larger stone among friends, family and strangers...takes getting used to.. how's it going... you are so articulate Dreamer, and I'm really interested in your impressions, because I have found it really is an adjustment to establish a comfort level with a noticeably larger stone.

It is funny, after wearing it for a week now I am totally used to the size. In some ways it does not look any bigger than my previous diamond
emembarrassed.gif
Yet, on another level, it feels so *rght* on my hand. So even though I don't look at it and think "wow huge" anymore, I look at it on my hand and feel really satisfied with its appearance. And I did not feel that way before with my diamonds. So obviously there is something there.

In fact, no one has noticed the upgrade. I think that if I went with a 2.5ct or something really dramatic then people might have noticed. But no one has commented yet, even my in laws who know my diamond well and are visiting right now. I am glad no one notices, it was not my intent to be noticed. But I notice
2.gif
And I am more aware of my ring. I am enjoying it a lot and I ook at it very often and just take pleasure in it. I am very very happy with this decision. And it is funny, I always poo pood clarity but there is something to the whole "mind clean" thing. I love knowing my diamond is cleaaaaan. The only inclusions are a teensy feather and a teensy needle on the girdle. It is cool to know it is as clean as it is and I will never see anything in it. Ah, simple pleasures, eh?

I did have one nice diamond encounter. One of my good friends also enjoys diamonds and she knew I was getting the upgrade. She likes colorless diamonds and owns a very lovely ideal .90ct E VS1. And she initially was not really digging the idea of me getting a J. She feared it would be to tinted and when I showed her the GOG color vids she was like "Ew, too yellow!" when we got to the I colors. But I showed her my diamond today and she really loved it! She said she liked it much more than my G diamond
4.gif
, it was just so facinating to look at the way the factes play in the light, and she thought it looked perfect on my hand -- not too big at ll, just perfect. So it was really nice to hear those things! I think she meant it, I could tell she really liked this stone. Despite its color
2.gif
It really helped me to know that someone else also thought the diamond was really white looking. Ah, ya know, sometimes you just need a little validation. I really did not want a diamond that other people thought looked tinted. And she being a big of a color nut, well it mattered what she thought.

I made the right choice, this is really a dreamy diamond.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer, I''m so glad you''re liking your diamond band with your new ering! It''s just amazing. And as far as the girdles eating away at the ering basket, I worry about that too with my legato sleek line up against my uternity band every day. But I don''t want to wear a spacer so I''m just hoping for the best...

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2010 1:38:20 AM

I''m so glad you are getting into the diamond band with the new ring- its a sensational combination as many here have agreed..

So what''s it like for you, with the larger stone, reactions?... you feeling comfortable? Its an adjustment for sure walking around with a larger stone among friends, family and strangers...takes getting used to.. how''s it going... you are so articulate Dreamer, and I''m really interested in your impressions, because I have found it really is an adjustment to establish a comfort level with a noticeably larger stone.

It is funny, after wearing it for a week now I am totally used to the size. In some ways it does not look any bigger than my previous diamond
emembarrassed.gif
Yet, on another level, it feels so *rght* on my hand. So even though I don''t look at it and think ''wow huge'' anymore, I look at it on my hand and feel really satisfied with its appearance. And I did not feel that way before with my diamonds. So obviously there is something there.

In fact, no one has noticed the upgrade. I think that if I went with a 2.5ct or something really dramatic then people might have noticed. But no one has commented yet, even my in laws who know my diamond well and are visiting right now. I am glad no one notices, it was not my intent to be noticed. But I notice
2.gif
And I am more aware of my ring. I am enjoying it a lot and I ook at it very often and just take pleasure in it. I am very very happy with this decision. And it is funny, I always poo pood clarity but there is something to the whole ''mind clean'' thing. I love knowing my diamond is cleaaaaan. The only inclusions are a teensy feather and a teensy needle on the girdle. It is cool to know it is as clean as it is and I will never see anything in it. Ah, simple pleasures, eh?

I did have one nice diamond encounter. One of my good friends also enjoys diamonds and she knew I was getting the upgrade. She likes colorless diamonds and owns a very lovely ideal .90ct E VS1. And she initially was not really digging the idea of me getting a J. She feared it would be to tinted and when I showed her the GOG color vids she was like ''Ew, too yellow!'' when we got to the I colors. But I showed her my diamond today and she really loved it! She said she liked it much more than my G diamond
4.gif
, it was just so facinating to look at the way the factes play in the light, and she thought it looked perfect on my hand -- not too big at ll, just perfect. So it was really nice to hear those things! I think she meant it, I could tell she really liked this stone. Despite its color
2.gif
It really helped me to know that someone else also thought the diamond was really white looking. Ah, ya know, sometimes you just need a little validation. I really did not want a diamond that other people thought looked tinted. And she being a big of a color nut, well it mattered what she thought.

The size does look completely natural on your hand! What a difference from the look of the .80 and the 1.17 in the photos, though. But again, since it looks so natural on your hand, I''m not surprised that people have not noticed the size increase.

jill_s

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/21/2010 1:38:20 AM

I''m so glad you are getting into the diamond band with the new ring- its a sensational combination as many here have agreed..

So what''s it like for you, with the larger stone, reactions?... you feeling comfortable? Its an adjustment for sure walking around with a larger stone among friends, family and strangers...takes getting used to.. how''s it going... you are so articulate Dreamer, and I''m really interested in your impressions, because I have found it really is an adjustment to establish a comfort level with a noticeably larger stone.

emembarrassed.gif
Yet, on another level, it feels so *rght* on my hand. So even though I don''t look at it and think ''wow huge'' anymore, I look at it on my hand and feel really satisfied with its appearance. And I did not feel that way before with my diamonds. So obviously there is something there.

2.gif
And I am more aware of my ring. I am enjoying it a lot and I ook at it very often and just take pleasure in it. I am very very happy with this decision. And it is funny, I always poo pood clarity but there is something to the whole ''mind clean'' thing. I love knowing my diamond is cleaaaaan. The only inclusions are a teensy feather and a teensy needle on the girdle. It is cool to know it is as clean as it is and I will never see anything in it. Ah, simple pleasures, eh?

I did have one nice diamond encounter. One of my good friends also enjoys diamonds and she knew I was getting the upgrade. She likes colorless diamonds and owns a very lovely ideal .90ct E VS1. And she initially was not really digging the idea of me getting a J. She feared it would be to tinted and when I showed her the GOG color vids she was like ''Ew, too yellow!'' when we got to the I colors. But I showed her my diamond today and she really loved it! She said she liked it much more than my G diamond
4.gif
2.gif

DD - I completely understand this. I have only had a couple people comment on my new 2.40 since I got it. I was actually thinking that I''m kind of glad I did my upgrading in steps, so it didn''t have the shock effect. Going from a 1.37 to a 1.63 to a 1.97 to a 2.40 over the course of a couple of years made it less obvious (which I prefer, it makes me feel uncomfortable when people make a big deal about my diamond growing). But I guess the downside of doing my upgrading that way was that my own eyes got quickly used to my new sizes each time.
31.gif
I do feel I could go bigger if ever given the opportunity, but I''m not unhappy or feel like my stone is small. I''m so glad you feel the same way!

Now, if I go to the 3-stone, that will probably gather some attention...mainly just because the setting change from solitaire to 3-stone is pretty drastic. What are the chances that you''ll set the new J in a three stone? Still pretty likely? I think that will look divine!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2010 11:58:03 AM

DD - I completely understand this. I have only had a couple people comment on my new 2.40 since I got it. I was actually thinking that I''m kind of glad I did my upgrading in steps, so it didn''t have the shock effect. Going from a 1.37 to a 1.63 to a 1.97 to a 2.40 over the course of a couple of years made it less obvious (which I prefer, it makes me feel uncomfortable when people make a big deal about my diamond growing). But I guess the downside of doing my upgrading that way was that my own eyes got quickly used to my new sizes each time.
31.gif
I do feel I could go bigger if ever given the opportunity, but I''m not unhappy or feel like my stone is small. I''m so glad you feel the same way!

Now, if I go to the 3-stone, that will probably gather some attention...mainly just because the setting change from solitaire to 3-stone is pretty drastic. What are the chances that you''ll set the new J in a three stone? Still pretty likely? I think that will look divine!
I am not sure what I will do. I am planning to just start saving my pennies which will not be a particularly fast process
2.gif
and then see how I feel when I have saved enough to do the three stone if I wanted. I think I would need about $2500. But I will also probably monitor the diamond inventory and see what pops up at that time too, though I don''t think I want to upgrade again, I really like this diamond and would worry the next would not be as nice! And to get noticable size I think I would need to go over the 2ct mark... anyways, a three-stone with this size center has always been my eventual goal so I think perhaps I will work to that. But no immediate plans! What about you? Still thinking of doing it?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2010 9:20:51 AM
Author: katiedid
Dreamer, I''m so glad you''re liking your diamond band with your new ering! It''s just amazing. And as far as the girdles eating away at the ering basket, I worry about that too with my legato sleek line up against my uternity band every day. But I don''t want to wear a spacer so I''m just hoping for the best...
Has it been scratching Katie?

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, they''re scratching the ering a little but I don''t think the metal is wearing way down or anything. In other words, I think they''re still safe to wear together. Not sure what I''ll eventually do to fix it...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results