shape
carat
color
clarity

Dreamer''s upgrade -- 1.66ct J VS1!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehehe ring closeups from family photos, only on PS
3.gif

Thritto on the mirrors! Even a printout of one's CAD taped to the finger look bigger in the mirror
5.gif

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Why are you nervous to talk to your FI about this? Do you think he will ract badly or is it just because you have some idea like you ''shouldn''t'' want to upgrade? LIke it is bad to want more than you have?

Ahh. . what a tough question. I''ve posted the story on here before. He totally surprised me with the proposal. I didn''t like the ring. We went back to the store and got the same ring but in a bigger size. Within a week I decided I really wanted a solitaire. The original was a princess bridge set over a row of princesses. So that brought me to WF. I got the diamond there and had the mall set the stone. Ugh. I''ve been unhappy with the setting since day one. Actually they set it in the wrong head the first time. So within a month of the engagement I technically had 4 different rings! In a way that has made this one less special. IT was stressful and emotional. So to tell him now that I want to do anything with it. . . yikes. I can only imagine
7.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2010 1:30:18 PM
Author: yssie
3.gif

Thritto on the mirrors! Even a printout of one''s CAD taped to the finger look bigger in the mirror
5.gif
2.gif

CADs on the finger... what''s the ETA? You are clearly losing your mind.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2010 1:32:21 PM
Author: hoofbeats95

Why are you nervous to talk to your FI about this? Do you think he will ract badly or is it just because you have some idea like you 'shouldn't' want to upgrade? LIke it is bad to want more than you have?

Ahh. . what a tough question. I've posted the story on here before. He totally surprised me with the proposal. I didn't like the ring. We went back to the store and got the same ring but in a bigger size. Within a week I decided I really wanted a solitaire. The original was a princess bridge set over a row of princesses. So that brought me to WF. I got the diamond there and had the mall set the stone. Ugh. I've been unhappy with the setting since day one. Actually they set it in the wrong head the first time. So within a month of the engagement I technically had 4 different rings! In a way that has made this one less special. IT was stressful and emotional. So to tell him now that I want to do anything with it. . . yikes. I can only imagine
7.gif
It is only stressful and emotional if you let it be
2.gif
. It can also be a fun project! That sounds like an annoying experience all around. I went through the same thing with my three stone, which had to be remade.

I dunno, why not just say "Oh honey, I am feeling ready for a change again. Maybe as a wedding/birthday present I can reset my diamond?" or perhaps you can say, "You know what I would really like for our anniversary? I would love to upgrade my diamond, maybe a different shape. You know me! I love change!" Keeping it a fun project rather than another big fat ordeal makes it more fun for both of you. I suspect that some men don't like their SOs messing with the ring because of all the stress etc. But remove it from the equation and it could be something else entirely. Timing is important. I think after a bottle of wine and a nice night together is a good time to bring it up
4.gif

I don't think WF carries square H&As though, so you could not use the upgrade policy

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
No they don''t carry Square H&A, but BGD can get them.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2010 2:07:58 PM
Author: dreamer_d

3.gif

Thritto on the mirrors! Even a printout of one's CAD taped to the finger look bigger in the mirror
5.gif
2.gif

CADs on the finger... what's the ETA? You are clearly losing your mind.
Yes, quite possibly
23.gif

FI has it. In hand. Possibly on his person. I'm not going to wear it for another 8 days, because I don't get home for another 8 days... GAH!! And he refuses to take pictures so all I have are WF's flower shots - which, while very pretty, show only the same angles as the CADs. Apparently "it's very pretty, and I'm really going to like it".

I would welcome another database crisis at this point.. I'm going to regret saying that in an hour or two.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2010 2:43:41 PM
Author: hoofbeats95
No they don''t carry Square H&A, but BGD can get them.
I see, and they might take your ACA as trade in? I suspect you would then lose future upgrades with BGD as they do not regularly carry Square H&As. Think hard before opting for this
2.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2010 3:01:04 PM

Date: 5/27/2010 2:07:58 PM
Author: dreamer_d

3.gif

Thritto on the mirrors! Even a printout of one''s CAD taped to the finger look bigger in the mirror
5.gif
2.gif

CADs on the finger... what''s the ETA? You are clearly losing your mind.
Yes, quite possibly
23.gif

FI has it. In hand. Possibly on his person. I''m not going to wear it for another 8 days, because I don''t get home for another 8 days... GAH!! And he refuses to take pictures so all I have are WF''s flower shots - which, while very pretty, show only the same angles as the CADs. Apparently ''it''s very pretty, and I''m really going to like it''.

I would welcome another database crisis at this point.. I''m going to regret saying that in an hour or two.
Can you fly home for the night? Can he FedEx it to you "hold for pickup" at a local FedEx? I could not wait 8 days, you are a saint.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
been reading through the comments... dreamer, the ring looks Sososososososso good! And I love the jacket, BTW. I have a jacket just like it... maybe when I get my ring in like a million years, I'll do a headless jeans jacket shot, too.
2.gif

You mentioning that your DH does golf and you get to do diamonds. We got a similar thing going. I got a new ring and he gets a dream vacation. He buys tech gear, I buy shoes
3.gif

We have one very lucky thing going for us, cause in Holland we have no need for a car. Don't need a car, don't need the insurance for it, or the gas, or maintenance, or parking. My sister was wondering where we get the funds for our extravagances, and I'm like don't you guys each have a car and one for your son?

Anyway, I'm counting on that and more crazy trips by DH to fund/justify a RHR in 2 years
11.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa! Dreamer! you got what you wanted! :appl: :love: it looks incredible! sorry a bit late to the party but wanted to congrat you on such an amazing ROCK!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
D&T Thanks! I was wondering where you went, it is great to see you back. I missed you.

And if anyone is wondering, four months later, I love my diamond, the size is PERFECT and I have no desire to upgrade ever again!

Resets are another story :Up_to_something:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re:

missydebby said:
been reading through the comments... dreamer, the ring looks Sososososososso good! And I love the jacket, BTW. I have a jacket just like it... maybe when I get my ring in like a million years, I'll do a headless jeans jacket shot, too.
2.gif

You mentioning that your DH does golf and you get to do diamonds. We got a similar thing going. I got a new ring and he gets a dream vacation. He buys tech gear, I buy shoes
3.gif

We have one very lucky thing going for us, cause in Holland we have no need for a car. Don't need a car, don't need the insurance for it, or the gas, or maintenance, or parking. My sister was wondering where we get the funds for our extravagances, and I'm like don't you guys each have a car and one for your son?

Anyway, I'm counting on that and more crazy trips by DH to fund/justify a RHR in 2 years
11.gif

Missy I missed you comments earlier! Thanks!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D said:
D&T Thanks! I was wondering where you went, it is great to see you back. I missed you.

And if anyone is wondering, four months later, I love my diamond, the size is PERFECT and I have no desire to upgrade ever again!

I must admit, I was wondering if DSS had set in, but I'm happy for your sake that it hasn't. The stone you have now really does look perfect on your hand.

Reset you say?????

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
gemgirl said:
Dreamer_D said:

I must admit, I was wondering if DSS had set in, but I'm happy for your sake that it hasn't. The stone you have now really does look perfect on your hand.

Reset you say?????

I think DSS exists in the sense that your eyes adjust and the diamond does not look HUGE anymore, but in this case, I still look at my diamond and think it looks big! And the reality is, that in my social circle, this is a really massive diamond. So while I still feel that I *could* wear and enjoy a much larger stone, it is impractical and would draw attention. So I am very happy with my rock!

Still love the cut, color, and clarity too.

I will reset this diamond eventually. Not sure how yet as I like too many setting styles, but hopefully in about a year and a half I can swing it for our 5th anniversary. Or sooner :Up_to_something: The lead idea is a three stone with .3ct sides :love:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re:

Dreamer_D said:
LURVE IT D! Wear it in the best of health. What a knock out stone!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, I think I missed this thread because you got your new ring just after my baby was born, but if I didn't mention it before, I LOVE your new ring! The diamond is stunning, and the setting is perfect! I love the way it looks with your eternity band too. Congrats!

rubyprincess

Shiny_Rock
Subscribing because the journey was utterfly fascinating and I adore the current outcome. I am very, very seriously considering the purchase of a J from BGD with the Elegance setting. I think you've provided the push to go for the J.

I love your setting and if my first engagement ring (ex H) didn't look so much like it that'd be a winner for me. Question: did you see that in real life before purchasing? I love the wideness and chunkiness of it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
rubyprincess said:
Subscribing because the journey was utterfly fascinating and I adore the current outcome. I am very, very seriously considering the purchase of a J from BGD with the Elegance setting. I think you've provided the push to go for the J.

I love your setting and if my first engagement ring (ex H) didn't look so much like it that'd be a winner for me. Question: did you see that in real life before purchasing? I love the wideness and chunkiness of it.

I just saw this when I searched for this thread to steal a photo! Sorry for the delay!

I did not see my setting or diamond in real life before buying, I took a leap of faith and am very glad I did. I really like my setting a lot. In real life it feels substantial but not chunky at all. The shank is only about 2.5mm near the diamond, and though side by the standards of the current ultra thin shank trend, on the hand it is by no means chunky. The stance of the diamond is about medium, not too hight and not too low.

Hope this helped and I hope you get the diamond of your dreams! I am 99.99% happy I took the plunge with my J (once in a blue moon I wish for a more colorless stone, but it is a passing fancy -- the cost for a noticable upgrade is color is ridiculous and not worth it for such a rare and passing whim). I simply adore my diamond.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

Dreamer_D said:
Forgive the fence in the backgroud. We are going for a shabby chic look in our yard
2.gif
 Instead of home repairs, I bought a diamond. Priorities people!

I too, am just reading your posts. I love your new setting with the half eternity band. Your 1.66 looks very substantial to me! :))

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I saw your thread pop to the top again and was dying to know what change happened this time - I'm glad to see you're still happy with the diamond and setting!

Do you mind sharing the number of the setting on Unique's website? I was trying to take a look at it there, just to get an idea of the difference between their images and your real-life pictures.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
MonkeysInk said:
I saw your thread pop to the top again and was dying to know what change happened this time - I'm glad to see you're still happy with the diamond and setting!

Do you mind sharing the number of the setting on Unique's website? I was trying to take a look at it there, just to get an idea of the difference between their images and your real-life pictures.

I will see if I can find it when I have time. The photo looks nothing like the setting ;)) Only reason I took a chance was because BGD had offered the same setting with pave on the shank, and I loved the pave ring so I thought I would try the plain shank version.

Thanks Vesper and HAGirl!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thoroughly enjoy following along with the evolution of your ERing. :appl:

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer, I love your set! I actually have a question for you about your BGD Dream Half Eternity because I am about to purchase mine. I think you originally paired it with a 1.2 carat RB solitaire, right? My e-ring is a 1.23 solitaire from BGD that looks almost exactly like yours did, so I was curious if you liked the 5 pointers on your band with that size center stone and that solitaire setting? I think it looks perfect with your current 1.66, and I just want to make sure you didn't think the 5 pointers were too big when you had the smaller center stone. I have only been able to try on 3 pointers or 8 pointers so far (at Tiffany); I know 8 is too big and the 3's looked nice (though maybe slightly small), so I am tempted to go with the 5 pointers, I just don't want them to be too much to where they overpower the center stone. I know you were unhappy with how high the band sat next to your Legato - I am wondering if my truth head sits higher than the Legato or if I will have the same problem. I like it when the band sits nice and low and still shows of the basket of the e-ring. Maybe smaller stones (like the 3 pointers) would make the band sit lower? TIA for any feedback!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
kal2021|1303343751|2901365 said:
Dreamer, I love your set! I actually have a question for you about your BGD Dream Half Eternity because I am about to purchase mine. I think you originally paired it with a 1.2 carat RB solitaire, right? My e-ring is a 1.23 solitaire from BGD that looks almost exactly like yours did, so I was curious if you liked the 5 pointers on your band with that size center stone and that solitaire setting? I think it looks perfect with your current 1.66, and I just want to make sure you didn't think the 5 pointers were too big when you had the smaller center stone. I have only been able to try on 3 pointers or 8 pointers so far (at Tiffany); I know 8 is too big and the 3's looked nice (though maybe slightly small), so I am tempted to go with the 5 pointers, I just don't want them to be too much to where they overpower the center stone. I know you were unhappy with how high the band sat next to your Legato - I am wondering if my truth head sits higher than the Legato or if I will have the same problem. I like it when the band sits nice and low and still shows of the basket of the e-ring. Maybe smaller stones (like the 3 pointers) would make the band sit lower? TIA for any feedback!

Hey kal!

Glad you like the ring. It is a really great style and for shared prong bands, one of the best I have seen. I love it.

That said, it does not work (in my opinion) with the legato/truth ring. I went and looked at your ring and it is basically the same as the one I have on in the photos in the linked thread here: https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/dreamer-s-baby-ring-t118045-60.html That solitaire is also a 1.2ct, so it gives a feel for the look of 5 point stones. I think it matches well.

As you can see, the dream band is higher/thicker off the finger than the shank of the ring. The other issue is that the low stance of the setting means that the diamond girdles eat into the basket of the setting, which is not someting you want! It happened very quickly with my ring, for both the legato and truth heads ( I switched heads at one point). I did talk to BGD when making my ring and they said if we dropped to 2pt stones then the height of the Dream band could be lowered to under 2mm (my band with 5 pointers is exactly 2mm thick), perhaps as low as 1.8mm, but I don't think that would be enough for the truth solitaire personally. The shank on the truth is only about 1.6mm thick. It really looks best with a plain band.

If you want a diamond band explicitly to pair with your Truth solitaire, I would see about this style setting, which I was told by BGD would keep the diamond girdles from damaging your solitaire, and which may be thin enough to match the Truth shank: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5433. Or this band would look great too: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5474

Now some people don't care about matching heights on their rings or about damage to their prongs, but I am not one of those people ;))

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer, thank you so much for the info! I really appreciate it. I've been torn on what to do about the band and you've given me some great insight. I had a feeling the dream band would sit too high with my ring. Bummer! I do like the bead set eternity you posted and will inquire about the price of it in 5 pointers. I'm glad you think that's a good size and I did love how it looked with your solitaire in the link you posted. I am not as much of a fan of the micropave band simply because it reminds me of a channel set which I usually don't like as much as the shared prong look. If only I could try them all on! The one downfall of online vendors. I must admit I am also starting to seriously consider the 9 stone .27 ctw band at Tiffany that I tried on because it did sit perfectly with my ring. The diamonds are 3 pointers instead of 5, but I did love the height and maybe the difference between the two diamond sizes wouldn't be that noticeable? Decisions decisions, life is tough! ;-)

ETA: I too am one of those people that cares about matching ring heights and no damage to my prongs!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
So you tried on the Tiffany with 3 pointers and it worked for heights? I am not sure BGD can make a ring as low as Tiffany. When we were talking, as I said, they thought they could get the height down to 1.8mm or so with 2/3 pointers, but not lower. Was the Tiffany lower?

You can always look for a vintage Tiffany ring in the ct. weight you want.

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
I just got back from trying on the Tiffany band with 3 pointers and the height looked good to me! The SA measured it and said it was actually about 2.1-2.2 mm in height which surprised me. I wonder if he mis-measured! Anyway, I think I may order the Dream Half Eternity with 3 pointers and just return it if it's too high. BGD also recommended the Novela band to me - it uses 2 pointers and is 1.6 mm in height, but I just don't think I like the look as much as the Dream...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
kal2021|1303421904|2902171 said:
I just got back from trying on the Tiffany band with 3 pointers and the height looked good to me! The SA measured it and said it was actually about 2.1-2.2 mm in height which surprised me. I wonder if he mis-measured! Anyway, I think I may order the Dream Half Eternity with 3 pointers and just return it if it's too high. BGD also recommended the Novela band to me - it uses 2 pointers and is 1.6 mm in height, but I just don't think I like the look as much as the Dream...

Can you order both and return one? I know it is cheeky...

I am very surprised the Tiff band was that thick?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results