shape
carat
color
clarity

Doesn''t it make you cringe to see such filthy diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Just wondering how many ladies (maybe even men) want to take diamond jewelry off of a person''s finger, to clean it and show them how a diamond is supposed to look? I have seen some HUGE diamonds that have NO sparkle or life to them whatsoever..I wonder if they actually are diamonds at times. Caked with white residue, gunk in between the prongs...it makes me crazy to see people wear their jewelry like that. I clean my diamonds EVER DAY, and often wonder when someone comments on how sparklie they are, if they''re thinking they must be fake (because they are so clean, and bright!). Does this make anyone else CRAZY? Should we hand out gemcare wipes or what? lol

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I think a lot of those big "diamonds" you see that are so lifeless either aren't diamonds or are of the frozen spit variety...just because it's big doesn't mean it's nice!

Sheer availability vs. the number of huge "diamonds" we see on people's fingers means that many of those just aren't diamonds. There just aren't that many on the market...especially that are affordable for most people.

But I totally agree with you, it drives me NUTS to see diamonds of any size that are dirty. Mine are in the US as we speak...

And I make all my friends let me clean their stones in my US when they come over.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m one of the culprits. I was browsing in an estate store and they asked thrice if they could clean my rings.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I''ll clean my rings today b/c I got suntan lotion in the wedding band, but otherwsie to do not my rings daily. Usually when I go out for an evening I make a point--otherwise I just forget.

cheers--Sharon

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, this really gets on my nerves!!! My Mom is one of the worst offenders! She wears all of her jewelry 24/7, so it gets filthy pretty fast, and she very rarely cleans it. The last time she came over to my house, I insisted on running all of her stuff through my Jewelry Spa. You WOULD NOT BELIEVE the gunk that came off her jewelry during the steam cleaning!!! Especially her bracelets!!!
23.gif
32.gif
40.gif
14.gif

Don''t get me wrong, though ~ I''m far from perfect in the jewelry cleaning department! I clean all of my jewelry once a week with my Jewelry Spa (just did it last night, in fact), and I use Connoisseur''s Jewelry Cleaner on my e-ring and w-band as needed in between cleanings with the Jewelry Spa. But people who go months or even years (shudder!) without cleaning their jewelry . . . UGH!!!
38.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
To Harriet and Sharon --->
slap4.gif

My motto, a clean diamond is a happy diamond.
25.gif

I clean mine every day. I rarely get close enough to see how dirty other rings really are, but I can say I rarely see a sparkly one.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know, I know. I was given an excellent cleaning kit, plus Leon''s assistant happily steams my diamond whenever I''m there.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 8:44:41 AM
Author: Ellen
slap4.gif

25.gif

I clean mine every day. I rarely get close enough to see how dirty other rings really are, but I can say I rarely see a sparkly one.
I don''t have to get too close, it kind of jumps out at me, when it''s REALLY bad! When I worked...and would take people''s money, as soon as they handed the $$ over to me..I could see lotion or whatever..soap..who knows....just caked on rings/diamonds. It''s almost as bad as walking around with unmanicured hands (nail polish all chipped, broken, uneven, nails..,ew!!) Pet Peeve. Hands get noticed!!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m a nail culprit as well. I have been instructed to get a manicure.

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
I have taken coworkers jewelry home with me to clean and brought my run-of-the-mill container of jewelry cleaner to work to clean their jewelry, too. The one I took home had dried dough, from making homemade biscuits, caked underneath...no I am not kidding. I was concerned that, once clean, there would be nothing to hold the diamonds in place...lol. What a surprise for them to, once again, see sparkle. And I scolded them, nicely, for allowing their jewely to get so dirty. I tell them to keep it clean and let it shine!!!! I am one of those that just about flip out when I see someone use lotion and rub it all over their jewelry....I can''t watch!!!...lol

cmarie

Rough_Rock
I always clean my mom''s ring whenever she visits because there are these beautiful little spaces in her ring that get completely filled in with gunk. She is always really impressed with how it looks...

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I clean my rings a couple of times a weeks. I don''t get my nails done. I garden and cook on a regular basis and my job only requires jeans and t-shirts.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
slap4.gif

25.gif

HI:

Wild woman!
9.gif
Case in point, I just cleaned my wedding band but had no energy to put in ER in at the same time.....oooof!

cheers--Sharon

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sharon, how much extra energy would that have taken?
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 9:36:05 AM
Author: canuk-gal

slap4.gif

25.gif

HI:

Wild woman!
9.gif
Case in point, I just cleaned my wedding band but had no energy to put in ER in at the same time.....oooof!

cheers--Sharon
lol.gif

Lazy a$$.
9.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Beau, I totally agree with you!! (just about shocked the pants off you, no?) I have a good friend who has this massive wedding ring with about a thousand small princess cuts all prong set, and the thing is disgusting! She is an immaculate woman, nails always done and clothing just so, but the garbage that is stuck in that ring makes me cringe!

I have some wonderful cleaning solution I got from Wink. It''s called Gemcare. It is all plant based and safe for all types of metal and all types of stones (even pearls)! There is also a biodegradable pasted that takes tarnish off rings lickety-split. I didn''t even know gold could tarnish, but this stuff polishes up my yellow gold and platinum like they''d just come back from a repolish. I highly recommend this stuff, especially over things that contain ammonia.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
It makes me cringe if they are really filthy (ala my Mom who never cleans it!). However, I only clean mine about once or twice a week...so I am bad at it too!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
I bring my ultrasonic into the office and have jewellery cleaning parties for my staff!

They LOVE IT. Line up outside my office for their ''turns''. So I have a bunch of giggly women with sparkly rings and everybody has a good day.

LS

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 11:51:21 AM
Author: LostSapphire
I bring my ultrasonic into the office and have jewellery cleaning parties for my staff!

They LOVE IT. Line up outside my office for their ''turns''. So I have a bunch of giggly women with sparkly rings and everybody has a good day.

LS
SO FUNNY...Sounds like something i would do...and have done....

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Word of advise...when a sales associate asks to clean your ring...please,please,please ....dont lick the ring or spit on it to get it off your finger and them offer it to them...yes,this has happened to me more times then i can count!
41.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 12:24:59 PM
Author: jewelerman
Word of advise...when a sales associate asks to clean your ring...please,please,please ....dont lick the ring or spit on it to get it off your finger and them offer it to them...yes,this has happened to me more times then i can count!
41.gif
Ew...

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 9:03:32 AM
Author: beau13

slap4.gif

25.gif

I don''t have to get too close, it kind of jumps out at me, when it''s REALLY bad! When I worked...and would take people''s money, as soon as they handed the $$ over to me..I could see lotion or whatever..soap..who knows....just caked on rings/diamonds. It''s almost as bad as walking around with unmanicured hands (nail polish all chipped, broken, uneven, nails..,ew!!) Pet Peeve. Hands get noticed!!
Amen! I can''t keep polish on to save my life, but I always at least keep them trimmed and clean!

And yes, dirty jewelry makes me crazy, LOL!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I was at work a customer popped in to see if I could clean her diamond 3 stone ring. I tried for an hour but still couldn''t get the dirt out of it. It was so clogged up. She said she had never taken it off for the ten years she had worn it.
6.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 8:20:51 AM
Author: Harriet
I''m one of the culprits. I was browsing in an estate store and they asked thrice if they could clean my rings.

Harriet, Oh my goodness, with that beauty of yours, it needs to sparkle!!!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2008 12:21:54 PM
Author: jewelerman

LS
SO FUNNY...Sounds like something i would do...and have done....

I don''t, however, let them lick their fingers to get it off unless they put it themselves into the U/S!
9.gif

LS

sklingem

Brilliant_Rock
It drives me totally nuts. I have started carrying some car-cleaning wipes with me and randomly grab people''s hands to polish their stones. Don''t people recognize that this is a major distraction to others? Why affect MY quality of life??? And then having the nerve to tell me that there are more important things in life?? Hello!! Wise up! And stop shoving your dirty stones in my face, OK? Gosh.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I try not to inflict my own neuroses on other innocent people.
9.gif

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The worst is to see someone applying hand lotion without removing her ring - GGGAAAAAAAHHHH! Drives me bonkers!

I''m totally OCD - scrub in gemcare every morning, steam once a week with my jeweljet, and even wash my hands using dish soap whenever possible throughout the day (I''m convinced that regular hand soap leaves a film).

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, the lotion. Haha. My friend''s rings constantly have lotion on them and I just want to say "PLEASE let''s go get them cleaned. They could be so pretty. So sparkly. They could be such happy diamonds."

But I refrain. (And remind myself that when I have diamonds, they''ll be happy and clean.)

Mini-threadjack:

Erica! I love that avatar! I''ve been drooling over it for a few minutes here, lol. (And teaching BF about the beauties of antique stones...*evil laugh*)

geckodani

Ideal_Rock

LS
That''s awesome, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results