shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you think dogs are more respected than cats and why?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pandora|1333718557|3164847 said:
ETA: that said, despite my fear of them and not particular liking, I did stop in the middle of a very busy road and carry a scarlet coloured pointer that everyone else was ignoring into the car and take it to the nearest vet - turned out to be tan coloured and had been hit by a train. He lost his tail, and needed a lot of care, but went to see him a couple of months later at his owners house - he belonged to a little boy who had been given him as a present by his mother who had died of a brain tumour a few months later.

Oh no! What a terrible thing - how can people ignore a hurt domesticated animal? I understand being wary of a wild animal, but a companion pet - cat OR dog???? I just don't get it :nono:

How wonderful that you were able to do that for the little boy -it helped his mother to live on, via the dog. (at least that's how I'd see it) What a magnanimous gesture Pandora - thank you for being so kind. :halo:

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
While cats can be affectionate, I think dogs are more consistently affectionate, not to mention eager to please. And sometimes you get the sense that cat affection could be just looking for the warmest place in the house to sleep.

I've had pet rats in the past, and I find them to be as smart as the cats my family has had, and more affectionate than most. But it's no use expecting other people to understand, let alone respect, my love of pet rats.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do think dogs get more respect...but not from me. I'm totally a cat person!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never met an animal I didn't love...I think it comes down to who you are familiar with.

While growing up we always had dogs. Hence I loved dogs. They are warm, affectionate, loyal and give you unending love. I didn't *think* I cared for cats because I never knew any cats. When I moved out on my own I decided I wanted a cat because I could not take care of a dog. I wasn't home much (I was young and had a good social life) and I decided I still wanted to share the companionship of a domestic animal.

I adopted a rescue cat and after a while adopted another so they could keep each other company. I was head over heels in love with cats by the time I lived with one for a day LOL. So great! Full of personality and yes, unconditional love IMO. Just like a dog. But not. Almost better (IMO) because it was without the drool. :bigsmile: And cats are much easier than dogs to care for. When my dh and I retire I am hoping to rescue a dog or 2 because we will have more time to spend with them. Still working on my dh regarding this idea though. For some reason he thinks 4 cats are enough. ;))

I also had guinea pigs, gerbils and rats growing up. Loved them all. And I agree with MSC in that rats are pretty smart. Not sure they are as smart as cats but who cares. They are all lovable.

So while I understand people's preference for cats vs dogs or vice versa I will never understand someone's dislike of animals in general and like many other PSers I do not trust those who do not like animals.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I think so. I grew up with cats and really didn't care for dogs until I met DH who had a lab mix. Now I can't be without either.
Louie is more high maintenance and demanding of attention than the kitties, but I would say they're equally affectionate. If you love cats they will love you back.

I'm always amazed by how much cat hate I see in the world. People may neglect dogs but very few people are cruel enough to go out of their way to hurt one. But there are, unfortunately, plenty of idiots who will shoot a stray cat with a bb gun.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
There's a difference between a ragdoll and a cat. Cats generally like to be on their own and observe from afar. Ragdolls are dogs dressed in a cat outfit. There's a reason the breed is nicknamed puppy cats.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I took this question in a different way when I first read it, so I have a different perspective on it:

I think we (as a society) respect cats more in the sense that we treat them like animals more than we do dogs. And to me, treating a dog like a human and ignoring his nature, and therefore his needs as a canine, is disrespectful (and harmful) to him.

As for what you're really asking, I haven't experienced that kind of disrespect towards cats. But then again, everyone knows I love animals of all shapes and sizes, so maybe they know better than to say something so rude to me about my cats. Asscherisme--I can't believe your friends said such rude things to you about your new kitty!

I think people can change from anti-cat or anti-dog people if they have just one good experience with an animal. My DH grew up with cats and never had a dog until we were married. (We started visiting shelters oh, the day after we got back from our honeymoon. :cheeky: ) It wasn't that he didn't like dogs, he just never saw himself as a dog person, and the responsibility frightened him. Four years later, he'd tell you he can't imagine living without our dogs.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
amc80|1333723620|3164912 said:
There's a difference between a ragdoll and a cat. Cats generally like to be on their own and observe from afar. Ragdolls are dogs dressed in a cat outfit. There's a reason the breed is nicknamed puppy cats.
I've found that the difference between social and aloof cats has less to do with breed and more with gender.

I've had five male cats and three female cats in my life, all DSH kitties rescued from shelters. The males have all been super affectionate, and except for one, they'll come when called by name. The females have all been aloof and far less sociable. This has been true with most of our friends' cats, too, with the exception of the odd social female here and there.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1333723820|3164921 said:
I've found that the difference between social and aloof cats has less to do with breed and more with gender.

I've had five male cats and three female cats in my life, all DSH kitties rescued from shelters. The males have all been super affectionate, and except for one, they'll come when called by name. The females have all been aloof and far less sociable. This has been true with most of our friends' cats, too, with the exception of the odd social female here and there.

That's an interesting observation Haven. Since I have only had one female cat I guess I cannot really extrapolate but I will say she is very affectionate and follows us around like a puppy for sure LOL. But again, this is just my experience with our one female cat as all of our other cats have been male (all our cats have been DSH rescues). What I have found though is that red/orange cats seem to be the most friendly. Not sure there is any truth to that observation but that has been my experience.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Pandora, you are a treat to "know." Great girl!

--- Laurie

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1333724010|3164926 said:

That's an interesting observation Haven. Since I have only had one female cat I guess I cannot really extrapolate but I will say she is very affectionate and follows us around like a puppy for sure LOL. But again, this is just my experience with our one female cat as all of our other cats have been male (all our cats have been DSH rescues). What I have found though is that red/orange cats seem to be the most friendly. Not sure there is any truth to that observation but that has been my experience.
That is really interesting! DH grew up with two orange cats and he swears they were super affectionate and behaved like dogs. They were both boys, though, so . . . :cheeky:

I've had two all-white kitties, Duke and Princess; two tuxedo kitties, Boots and Sebastian; one all-black kitty, Mazi; and the three tabbies we have now--Vince & Manny (classic tabbies) and Geddy (a mackerel tabby). The boys were all super affectionate, the girls not so much. Mazi was my constant companion, and she slept on me for all 18 years of her life, but she didn't really like many other people. :cheeky:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1333724412|3164939 said:
missy|1333724010|3164926 said:

That is really interesting! DH grew up with two orange cats and he swears they were super affectionate and behaved like dogs. They were both boys, though, so . . . :cheeky:

I've had two all-white kitties, Duke and Princess; two tuxedo kitties, Boots and Sebastian; one all-black kitty, Mazi; and the three tabbies we have now--Vince & Manny (classic tabbies) and Geddy (a mackerel tabby). The boys were all super affectionate, the girls not so much. Mazi was my constant companion, and she slept on me for all 18 years of her life, but she didn't really like many other people. :cheeky:

Yes, I think that is one of the qualities I love best about cats. They are more discerning than dogs and seem to love us best of all over other people. Of course I am generalizing but still, our cats love us best whereas the dogs I know seem to love everyone almost equally!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Indeed, Missy! That's a great point about cats. We often joke that, should anyone try to break into my mom's house, her Newfie mix is just going to roll over onto her back and beg for some belly rubs. It's funny because it's so true. That dog will love anyone who happens to be around.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I am definitely a dog person, probably because I don't have a choice. I am very seriously allergic to cats. Like, I spend time with them and then get bronchitis (even though I take 24-hour allergy medicine every day). Not fun. :nono: When I hear that a friend has gotten a cat, I feel sad because I know I'm risking my health by visiting their home. Vacuuming, carpet shampooing, air filters, special cat baths do nothing to alleviate my allergies, though friends and family have tried.

I would guess cats don't get as much 'respect' because they aren't used in the same way. Dogs were literally bred to do specific tasks (from the dachshund badger hunters to the bloodhounds to the lap-warmer dogs) and they generally do them well. I've literally NEVER seen a seeing-eye cat, or a cat who carries in the morning paper. I have met very affectionate cats (unfortunately for me, cats seem to love me, as I generally ignore them :bigsmile:) but no 'working' cats. :lol:

ETA: I realize now this is an old thread, but still interesting. :cheeky:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rubybeth|1333725015|3164951 said:
I am definitely a dog person, probably because I don't have a choice. I am very seriously allergic to cats. Like, I spend time with them and then get bronchitis. Not fun. :nono: When I hear that a friend has gotten a cat, I feel sad because I know I'm risking my health by visiting their home. Vacuuming, carpet shampooing, air filters, special cat baths do nothing to alleviate my allergies, though friends and family have tried.

I would guess cats don't get as much 'respect' because they aren't used in the same way. Dogs were literally bred to do specific tasks (from the dachshund badger hunters to the bloodhounds to the lap-warmer dogs) and they generally do them well. I've literally NEVER seen a seeing-eye cat, or a cat who carries in the morning paper. I have met very affectionate cats (unfortunately for me, cats seem to love me, as I generally ignore them :bigsmile:) but no 'working' cats. :lol:

Awww, I'm sorry Rubybeth. I know how difficult that is. And the reason cats seem to love you is that they know you are a kind and warm person and cannot help your darn allergies. :((

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
rubybeth|1333725015|3164951 said:
I am definitely a dog person, probably because I don't have a choice. I am very seriously allergic to cats. Like, I spend time with them and then get bronchitis (even though I take 24-hour allergy medicine every day). Not fun. :nono: When I hear that a friend has gotten a cat, I feel sad because I know I'm risking my health by visiting their home. Vacuuming, carpet shampooing, air filters, special cat baths do nothing to alleviate my allergies, though friends and family have tried.

ETA: I realize now this is an old thread, but still interesting. :cheeky:
Actually cats used to be kept around grain houses for catching rats and mice ( as far back as ancient Egypt). The Egyptians back then loved their domestic cats so much they didn't want to them to be exported out of the country. I've read the first ones were smuggled out.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
P.S. I'm sorry about your allergy :( I'm really glad I'm not allergic to cats or dogs.
I'm allergic to dust and trees though and getting allergy shots for it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
innerkitten|1333725897|3164964 said:
P.S. I'm sorry about your allergy :( I'm really glad I'm not allergic to cats or dogs.
I'm allergic to dust and trees though and getting allergy shots for it.

Having allergies suck. And these days I think many more people have to deal with this. Of course allergy shots don't work for everyone but for some it is a g-dsend. My dh used to be terribly allergic to dogs and cats and after many years of weekly shots he (knock wood) is great around them now. Good thing too as my whole family has lots of animals!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I know this is a little OT. But my allergist told me that is you continue the monthly maintenance shots for like 4 years it could keep your allergies away for even more than 10 years. Like forever. Just some info to pass along to your husband.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
The number of people who drove past was crazy, but what really made me angry were the people who wound down the windows to see what was going on as they had to drive round the car. I was trying to pull the dog onto a rug so I could lift him and it was pretty hard as he was bleeding so much and not very happy. The comment was 'oh for god's sake, it's only a bloody dog'...

One guy did stop and lent me a muzzle to make sure I didn't get bitten - it was a very nice dog, but scared and in pain.

I was in Italy btw, where pets are much more accessories than family members.

It was awful when I went to see the dog, poor thing couldn't stop shaking when he saw me, I obviously brought back bad memories.

I was so glad for the little boy though and that the dog was microchipped so they could find the owner.

Female cats are MUCH more independent and aloof (and more intelligent) than the boys who are generally soppy idiots.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Why in would anyone equate dogs or cats with respect? As in being worthy of it?

One is not better or more intelligent or more loyal or more anything. Different species. Different breeds. Different ways of acting and reacting.

I'm a cat person only because they never need walking in the rain. You can go out of town for two or three days, and they won't need to be boarded. And most cats will take care of their own grooming.

Other than that, I love both. Okay, I'm partial to kitties. But I still like dogs.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like both cats and dogs. But I've met people who like dogs who look at cats like they were vermin, and people who had cats who wouldn't be caught with a dog (because they would bother their cats).

I didn't get to have cats OR dogs when growing up, so in addition to playing with other people's pets I showered love on a rabbit, a turtle, chinchilla, chameleon, a series of parakeets and two rats. I thought they were all interesting and had their individual personalities. The more you invest in an animal the more you get back.

Unfortunately my daughter takes after me and loves and is interested in all living creatures. In addition to the cat and dog we have (along with a goldfish and hermit crabs) she is always bringing in various animals (mostly insects).

She understands about us not getting any more cats or dogs right now, and has given up the campaign for a parrot, but is still hasn't given up campaigning for a corn snake. She says she would take care of it and even feed it (eats baby mice) but I am drawing the line!

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Dogs are much more interactive in general as pets - you walk dogs, they come on family outings and picnics and they sometimes go to the pub with their owners and sit under the table. You really have to be at home to get any kind of interaction with a cat.

I think I was probably born a cat person, my mother doesn't like cat fur so growing up we had two King Charles Spaniels. When I was about 8 or 9 my mother got sick and tired of being the only one to look after and walk the dogs, so she pretended she had given them to a farm to shake us up a bit. My brother and sisters were heartbroken and crying all over the sofa, whereas the first words to come out of my mouth were 'so can we have a cat now?'. I was bitten by a German Shepherd a few years later (probably Karma) which didn't help matters.

I do actually quite like most dogs now but I can never see me not having a cat. I thought the comments about gender were very interesting, Claude is a very affectionate cat and will follow me around the house until I sit down and he can jump up on my lap, but I had just assumed that in neutered cats male and female behaviour was almost identical. We will be getting kitten later in the year so I will do a little research.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
innerkitten|1333731275|3165044 said:
I know this is a little OT. But my allergist told me that is you continue the monthly maintenance shots for like 4 years it could keep your allergies away for even more than 10 years. Like forever. Just some info to pass along to your husband.

I got allergy shots literally every week for 9 years (high school and college) and they helped a lot. My ragweed allergy is basically gone, and my spring allergies are much more bearable. I had a mild dog allergy when tested originally, but shots got rid of it. The only thing shots didn't help was my cat allergy. I am just so darn allergic!

And I forgot that cats are good mousers. They definitely are. :saint: But still, my sister's dog sleeps next to her and wakes her up when her blood sugar is low (type 1 diabetic) by licking her face almost violently, and he is not 'trained' per se, but she does reward him when he wakes her up and she is low. I would be curious if cats are known to do this kind of thing.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
rubybeth|1333736554|3165104 said:
innerkitten|1333731275|3165044 said:

I got allergy shots literally every week for 9 years (high school and college) and they helped a lot. My ragweed allergy is basically gone, and my spring allergies are much more bearable. I had a mild dog allergy when tested originally, but shots got rid of it. The only thing shots didn't help was my cat allergy. I am just so darn allergic!

And I forgot that cats are good mousers. They definitely are. :saint: But still, my sister's dog sleeps next to her and wakes her up when her blood sugar is low (type 1 diabetic) by licking her face almost violently, and he is not 'trained' per se, but she does reward him when he wakes her up and she is low. I would be curious if cats are known to do this kind of thing.
Wow! That's wonderful! What a great dog your sister has.

I'm inclined to say that cats are more likely to wake us up if THEIR blood sugar is low. :cheeky:

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
My husband has been doing allergy shots weekly for 4 years for a cat allergy - they have made minimal difference. He can't even sit next to a dog owner without a reaction as he's even more allergic to them.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
What a bummer Pandora, I have been very lucky. I did 32 weeks of shots every week and now I go once a month and it has made a real difference for me.

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not sure, but I do know that my parents seem to get far more attached to dogs than cats, to an unhealthy extent. Sadly, they've lost their cat and one of their dogs over the past 6 months. The cat made them sad for a day or two. The dog? They're both deeply depressed and it's been two weeks. Nothing I say or do can snap them out of it. My dad even says he doesn't want to get another one because it wouldn't be fair to the dog if they passed away first.... I'm trying to convince them to get another one even though I personally don't have an interest in dogs because I know it's a good healing opportunity, but I would be lying if I didn't admit that I'm not in love with dogs.

My cats though are pretty awesome with the exception of being REALLY annoying when they want to be fed early in the morning! They come when you call them by name or whistle, wait for us at the door, cuddle up with us on the bed and beg us to play with them. If we leave, all we have to do is leave enough food and water and have a friend check on them for us every day or two then clean up the litter box when we get home. No pet sitter, no daily feeding and watering, no walks, no doggy door, no barking, no chewing, no accidents in the house. Now I know that my view of dogs is skewed and fully admit that how their raised is much more important than anything else, but that's how I feel about the dogs that I've been exposed to.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1282769763|2690958 said:
my dog slobbers all over me and doesn't understand what, "leave me alone" means.

my cat knows that when i say enough, i mean it. they will walk away and come back later when i'm not in a bad mood or busy.

My cats also know that when i want to be alone and the dog doesn't leave me alone, it's time to come up and swat the dog or bite him in the butt so he runs away. he's a big dog, but terrified of the cats... always kissing up to them by grooming them and rolling over.

I love my dog, and he's a good dog, but for the life of me, i can never understand why dogs get more respect... the kissing up and ass-kissing is so not attractive.

I agree with this 100%. My dogs used to drive me nuts.

Cats are more respectful of your personal space and expect you to be more respectful of theirs.

Cats are also misunderstood by the majority of non-cat owners.

They aren't aloof, any more than people are. And they are very affectionate if you take the time to understand their individual personalities.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1333749163|3165280 said:
ForteKitty|1282769763|2690958 said:
my dog slobbers all over me and doesn't understand what, "leave me alone" means.

my cat knows that when i say enough, i mean it. they will walk away and come back later when i'm not in a bad mood or busy.

My cats also know that when i want to be alone and the dog doesn't leave me alone, it's time to come up and swat the dog or bite him in the butt so he runs away. he's a big dog, but terrified of the cats... always kissing up to them by grooming them and rolling over.

I love my dog, and he's a good dog, but for the life of me, i can never understand why dogs get more respect... the kissing up and ass-kissing is so not attractive.

I agree with this 100%. My dogs used to drive me nuts.

Cats are more respectful of your personal space and expect you to be more respectful of theirs.

Cats are also misunderstood by the majority of non-cat owners.

They aren't aloof, any more than people are. And they are very affectionate if you take the time to understand their individual personalities.

Exactly. Cats KNOW immediately who likes them and who doesn't. And they don't have an all consuming need to make you like them, unlike dogs. That's why they get the rap for being 'aloof'. Cats are actually very social with people they feel comfortable around. I always have to wonder what is wrong with a person that a cat dislikes, disdains or ignores them, or shows fear.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results