shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you ever feel an energy with a stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Although I don''t get "vibes" from inanimate objects, I DO have feelings associated with memories and what they may remind me of. Some stones remind me of my childhood, or of friendships, or of other relationships. I have a pair of diamond earrings that were a gift from an ex in college...I NEVER wear them because of bad memories...I should just give them away, lol! They were my only diamond earrings till recently...maybe one of my nieces will appreciate them more than I do.

Laura

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO everything in life has an energy to it, good or bad.

-A

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/2/2010 8:17:01 PM
Author: Arcadian
IMO everything in life has an energy to it, good or bad.

-A
Agreed.

Crasru, dont worry about offending anyone. It is your opinion and its just as valid as anyone elses. I was a serious sceptic of energy till I took my quantum physics class...and they did demonstrations and tought us how to use energy in massage.

I dont use it in my work and never have sence the class...because I kinda feels it ruins my credibility working as a NMT for injuries, mostly older people: "lemme massage your energy and rub this chunk of rock all over you. Itll make your hip better". But I secretly think it has SOME effects.

RainbowRocks

Rough_Rock
Interesting story about this topic...a guilty pleasure of mine is definitely having some fun with the metaphysical...in another forum on this topic, a woman was discussing her young daughters, one with lots of upset stomachs and the other with sleep problems, entering a new age gem and crystal shop for the first time and immediately starting to get very excited over some gemstone spheres on display. They kept going back to them, discussing the color, wanting to hold them, etc - basically making a nuisance of themselves. Interestingly, the stones in question were supposedly useful in helping the individual complaints each girl was having. I love when something like that makes you stop and think for a moment about the deeper meaning of coincidences and why we like the stones and colors we like.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
When I had my store I had a New Age healer as a customer who could tell me without fail whether a stone had been heated or not by holding it in her hands for a few seconds.

It blew my mind. I tested her on it dozens of times, and she was always correct. I would do my best to try and trip her up, but she always nailed it.

She would only buy untreated stones for her practice.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/8/2010 1:06:38 AM
Author: Richard Sherwood
When I had my store I had a New Age healer as a customer who could tell me without fail whether a stone had been heated or not by holding it in her hands for a few seconds.

It blew my mind. I tested her on it dozens of times, and she was always correct. I would do my best to try and trip her up, but she always nailed it.

She would only buy untreated stones for her practice.

Wow cool.. Peridot is my birthstone, and it is suppose attract some kinda positive energy, vibration etc... however, I simply do not feel it at all :) In fact, due to to its brittle nature, I do not feel much at ease wearing it. I will still prefer wearing my diamond ER:)

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Love this thread. Learned things and enjoyed knowing more about PSers here and how they view their gemstones, so thank you for sharing of yourselves.

My husband (geologist, BS and MS, Geophysical Institute) was asked at work by a coworker about the latest stones I bought. She is from India from a well-to-do family and told Bob that most all Indians who buy jewels/colored gemstones FIRST get a consultation with an astrologer, who not only advises what colored gemstone to buy but how to set it (you don''t want anything coming between your skin and the stone so setting it has some caveats) and when to wear it.

I hope Bob did not look at her as if she had three heads when she said all of this.

I had been having a lot of sleep disorder problems, initial insomnia, early wakening, bad dreams, unrestful sleep. I put a big amethyst crystal plate on my nightstand and I''m sleeping much better all around. I don''t care if it is a placebo effect, I feel better!

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Are you talking indians or american indians? That is interesting!

Alot of sceptics think its a placebo effect with gemstones and whatnot. But the mind is very powerful. If you believe it works, it will work!

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
India the country/Indians, sorry bout that.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I''m the dissenter here - don''t believe a word of it...

Show me repeatable results under laboratory conditions - and claim the James Randi $1 million and I''ll be convinced, till then I think it''s just a case of the ''warm fuzzies''.

Great for sales though!
3.gif

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/9/2010 7:37:18 AM
Author: Pandora II
Okay, I''m the dissenter here - don''t believe a word of it...

Show me repeatable results under laboratory conditions - and claim the James Randi $1 million and I''ll be convinced, till then I think it''s just a case of the ''warm fuzzies''.

Great for sales though!
3.gif

http://invention.smithsonian.org/centerpieces/quartz/technology/quartz.html

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Alot of stone have this vibration and internal energy that has been proven. The ''effect'' on people hasnt been ''proven'' scientifically, but its not a far fetch that people who are more sensitive to vibration and energy will feel it.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Many people are skeptical that a mineral worn close to the skin can have an effect on the human body. Any doubts on that score were laid to rest in 2007 when worries about the safety of irradiated blue topaz led many retailers to stop selling blue topaz, particularly the london blue topaz produced by neutron bombardment. The Nuclear Regulatory Commission had to step in and provide guidelines on how long irradiated topaz had to be held before radiation emissions were at a safe level. Just a reminder that gemstones can be a force for evil as well as for good.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2010 8:42:28 AM
Author: morecarats
Many people are skeptical that a mineral worn close to the skin can have an effect on the human body. Any doubts on that score were laid to rest in 2007 when worries about the safety of irradiated blue topaz led many retailers to stop selling blue topaz, particularly the london blue topaz produced by neutron bombardment. The Nuclear Regulatory Commission had to step in and provide guidelines on how long irradiated topaz had to be held before radiation emissions were at a safe level. Just a reminder that gemstones can be a force for evil as well as for good.
Agree on this count - won't be wearing any polonium in the near future thanks!

The link shows that quartz can vibrate when attached to an electrical source - not many people have their bling wired up to batteries as far as I am aware...

Disagree that people can be sensitive to 'energies' and 'vibrations' and get effects other than placebo from them.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
One of the most toxic chemicals known to man is beryllium, a component of gemstones in the beryl family (emerald, aquamarine, morganite, golden beryl), chrysoberyl and beryllium-treated sapphire. It is particularly dangerous for people in the gemstone business, especially lapidaries, since the inhalation of beryllium dust in very small quantities can lead to a fatal deterioration of the lungs called beryllium disease. Be careful of facet wear ...

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
I have to throw in my 2¢ worth here. I have to side with Pandora on this one.

When talking about the effects a stone can have on a person there is quite a big difference when discussing scientific effects (radiation, dangerous chemical compounds) and "magical" effects (sleep better, cure what ails ya).

I am a very open minded person but I just can''t accept the whole "vibe" thing with stones. As a cutter, I handle a lot of different stones and I don''t feel or act differently because of what is on my dop. If there was a vibe in a stone, wouldn''t I be altering it by cutting the stone? Wouldn''t the rough "feel" different than the finished stone?

I respect peoples right to believe what they choose. That''s why we have 1000 different versions of Christianity and a million different religions worldwide. The "spiritual character" of a stone is simply a different facet (no pun intended) of a persons spiritual character.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
BTW, Cras, does your husband have any involvement with CERN? More specifically, is he working with the LHC?

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/9/2010 9:47:06 AM
Author: Revolution

I am a very open minded person but I just can't accept the whole 'vibe' thing with stones. As a cutter, I handle a lot of different stones and I don't feel or act differently because of what is on my dop. If there was a vibe in a stone, wouldn't I be altering it by cutting the stone? Wouldn't the rough 'feel' different than the finished stone?

I respect peoples right to believe what they choose. That's why we have 1000 different versions of Christianity and a million different religions worldwide. The 'spiritual character' of a stone is simply a different facet (no pun intended) of a persons spiritual character.

I don't understand your first point. Why would cutting a stone alter the supposed 'energy' of it? A magnetite is magnetic regardless of shape, and thorianite is radioactive regardless of whether it is rough or facetted.

Regarding the other matter... I remember a guy once dismissed the whole crystal healing thing as stupid and unscientific. When I later found out that he was, in fact, a devout Christian, I called him on it, pointing out that his beliefs were no less stupid and unscientific - and that he was a hypocrite to boot. I normally respect the religious beliefs of other people - but when they feel they have the right to be condescending or judgmental, that respect goes out the window.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Kim, my point exactly on the religion/spirituality thing.

As far as changing the stone with a cut, I have seen a number of listing for various types of quartz crystals (timekeepers, super sevens, gwendels, faddens etc., check eBay for the billion or so variations) that are supposed to have a specific type of "energy". Wouldn''t cutting that stone change or destroy its energy since it is the crystal shape itself that supposedly creates the energy? Also, the link that was posted earlier about the piezoelectric properties of quartz specifically says that the size and cut of the crystal determine its vibration frequency. Therefore, cutting the stone changes its "energy" signature. Some "crystal healers" won''t use anything but natural crystals, presumably because man''s interference with the stone (i.e. cutting, polishing, shaping) changes its energy.

I may be way off base but that is how it would logically play out in my mind.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
A reminder that no discussions about religion are allowed on Pricescope. Let''s please keep it to the original question.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2010 10:44:20 AM
Author: Kim Bruun

Date: 2/9/2010 9:47:06 AM

I am a very open minded person but I just can't accept the whole 'vibe' thing with stones. As a cutter, I handle a lot of different stones and I don't feel or act differently because of what is on my dop. If there was a vibe in a stone, wouldn't I be altering it by cutting the stone? Wouldn't the rough 'feel' different than the finished stone?

I respect peoples right to believe what they choose. That's why we have 1000 different versions of Christianity and a million different religions worldwide. The 'spiritual character' of a stone is simply a different facet (no pun intended) of a persons spiritual character.

I don't understand your first point. Why would cutting a stone alter the supposed 'energy' of it? A magnetite is magnetic regardless of shape, and thorianite is radioactive regardless of whether it is rough or facetted.

Regarding the other matter... I remember a guy once dismissed the whole crystal healing thing as stupid and unscientific. When I later found out that he was, in fact, a devout Christian, I called him on it, pointing out that his beliefs were no less stupid and unscientific - and that he was a hypocrite to boot. I normally respect the religious beliefs of other people - but when they feel they have the right to be condescending or judgmental, that respect goes out the window.
Well, it goes both ways. I think I was insensitive by criticizing others' beliefs in the beginning of the thread, but I see so many people forcing their opinions on me, too.
It is nice that people are able to feel that something is helping them, though. When my mother was ill with cancer, my father would bring her to "the pyramid" healer who'd place her under chrystai pyramids because, as he explained, they accumulated some energy that was to cure cancer. My mother was a physicist and my father a doctor! When you are desperate, you'd cling at a straw. Luckily she did not stop taking her medications at that point.
As to topaz...Well, strictly speaking it is not "inner energy" of the stone, just a wicked man-induced effect. There are stones that can have natural radioactivity, but which of us would wear "decaying' zircon? Berillium treatment, too, has nothing to do with the energy of Earth. Just an attempt to make quick money. Small wonder it hurts so many.

Sorry, I mentioned religion at the beginning but luckily saw Ella's warning.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/9/2010 11:41:50 AM

As far as changing the stone with a cut, I have seen a number of listing for various types of quartz crystals (timekeepers, super sevens, gwendels, faddens etc., check eBay for the billion or so variations) that are supposed to have a specific type of ''energy''. Wouldn''t cutting that stone change or destroy its energy since it is the crystal shape itself that supposedly creates the energy? Also, the link that was posted earlier about the piezoelectric properties of quartz specifically says that the size and cut of the crystal determine its vibration frequency. Therefore, cutting the stone changes its ''energy'' signature. Some ''crystal healers'' won''t use anything but natural crystals, presumably because man''s interference with the stone (i.e. cutting, polishing, shaping) changes its energy.
Well, crystal healers are a diverse lot - they don''t all believe in the same things. I am aware that the more enthusiastic ones have dubbed virtually every conceivable shape of rock crystal with its own name and metaphysical purpose - record keepers, Isis crystals, time link crystals, dow crystals, window crystals, laser wands, etc. I often wondered if it wasn''t a marketing ploy to sell more of the abundant rock crystal - by making each type extra special. If not, why not apply the same principal to every crystal out there? But you don''t encounter the same plethora of creative names in relation with tanzanite or corundum, do you?
2.gif

Like I said before, I like the idea of crystals and gems as personal tools of meditation and healing, but I also think that any piece of new age literature on the matter should be absorbed with a healthy grain of salt. Much like any religion should be approached with ones personal judgment and common sense intact.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
*shrug*. I guess its one of those unknown things. Just curious if anyone else noticed anything with different stones. If you notice something with a stone and it helps make you feel happy or sleep better then great! If its just a placebo effect....GREAT. You still get the same bennies no matter what causes it right? There is nothing wrong with that.

I know sence I have displayed my paraibas in my living room, it seems there is more of a pleasent feeling in here. More happy and upbeat. Is it because of their energy? I dont know. Is it a placebo effect? I dont know. But the happy feeling is there and thats all that matters to me :).

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But you know what really surpirzes me? I once read an article about early lazers. They claimed that Alexander the Great died of a brain tumor shortly after he came to India and entered a temple with a big statue of Shiva with a ruby in his forehead. Alexander was warned not to approach the statue, but he, of course, decided to plunder, approached it and yanked out the ruby. But before he did it, a ray of sunshine fell on the ruby, it became bloody red and a red ray touched Alexander''s forehead. Shortly thereafter he developed this tumor.
The writers claimed that this ruby was an "early" laser. I think it is just a legend, but a nice story nevertheless.

Ella, I am not discussing relgion here, it is just history and mythology.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/9/2010 11:47:53 AM
Author: crasru
Well, it goes both ways. I think I was insensitive by criticizing others'' beliefs in the beginning of the thread, but I see so many people forcing their opinions on me, too.
It is nice that people are able to feel that something is helping them, though. When my mother was ill with cancer, my father would bring her to ''the pyramid'' healer who''d place her under chrystai pyramids because, as he explained, they accumulated some energy that was to cure cancer. My mother was a physicist and my father a doctor! When you are desperate, you''d cling at a straw. Luckily she did not stop taking her medications at that point.
Well, much literature on crystal healing clearly states that if one is grievously ill, the advice offered in the book should be considered a supplement and should in no way dissuade one from seeking standard medical advice and treatment. It is at least comforting that healers don''t gamble with people''s lives by tricking them into thinking that any form of healing is a miracle cure.

I hope your mother pulled through!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2010 12:02:09 PM
Author: Kim Bruun

Date: 2/9/2010 11:47:53 AM
Author: crasru
Well, it goes both ways. I think I was insensitive by criticizing others'' beliefs in the beginning of the thread, but I see so many people forcing their opinions on me, too.
It is nice that people are able to feel that something is helping them, though. When my mother was ill with cancer, my father would bring her to ''the pyramid'' healer who''d place her under chrystai pyramids because, as he explained, they accumulated some energy that was to cure cancer. My mother was a physicist and my father a doctor! When you are desperate, you''d cling at a straw. Luckily she did not stop taking her medications at that point.
Well, much literature on crystal healing clearly states that if one is grievously ill, the advice offered in the book should be considered a supplement and should in no way dissuade one from seeking standard medical advice and treatment. It is at least comforting that healers don''t gamble with people''s lives by tricking them into thinking that any form of healing is a miracle cure.

I hope your mother pulled through!
Thank you, Kim. No, she died, and that was at the very beginning of stem cell therapy treatment so they did not use it in Russia. And she had only one sibling and they were absolutely no match. That is why there are two good causes for me to donate money (and whatever) for: education and science. Surprizingly, scientists never ask for donations. (They are probably skeptical or know the probabiility - LOL). Universities do, though, and I think it is right.
I donated my most expensive ring to Children''s Hospital - they have many kids with leukemia.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
I am very sorry to hear that, crasru. When you said that it was lucky that she did not stop taking her medications, I was hoping that there was a happy ending to that story.

Those are definitely two worthy causes, by the way.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i experienced negative energy from a citrine ring a friend gave me. it was a ring she had worn over some time but our personalities were very different. i was told to bury it for a period of time to "make it mine''. never did. but i did give it back to her and it was positive change....... perhaps conicidence, perhaps not. don''t really care.

most of us here in the color area say that we know we''ve got the right stone because it "speaks to us". not sure this is any different than attributing powers to certain stones....

and quartz is used in many electronics because it conducts electricity.

mz

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
MZ: I think your point on how many people say a gem ''speaks to them'' is interesting to note. I know I''ve gotten the advice to look for a gem that just ''sings'' to me

How the mind constructs our reality is a fascinating topic imo. whether it be through basing things purely off of the sciences and what we can measure (like cut, clarity, RI, saturation, etc) or through ''warm fuzzies'' (just being drawn to a particular gem, for whatever reason).

people just like certain colors. we could say they like it because it looks good on them, or, that it was a common favorite/desirable color, or we could even say they may like that color because ''they''re at the same vibration''
its cool to look back through history and see how people tried to explain how they felt and why.

crasru, neat story about Alexander! I''ve never heard that before
34.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2010 12:34:19 PM
Author: movie zombie
i experienced negative energy from a citrine ring a friend gave me. it was a ring she had worn over some time but our personalities were very different. i was told to bury it for a period of time to ''make it mine''. never did. but i did give it back to her and it was positive change....... perhaps conicidence, perhaps not. don''t really care.

most of us here in the color area say that we know we''ve got the right stone because it ''speaks to us''. not sure this is any different than attributing powers to certain stones....

and quartz is used in many electronics because it conducts electricity.

mz
I believe tourmaline is a conductor of electricity as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results