shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you ever feel an energy with a stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I know this is a hokey question, but do you ever feel an energetic connection with a stone? Like, it just gives you a very calm and comfortable feeling when you hold/wear it?

My 75ct ametrine gives me the best relaxing feeling when I hold it. It does this so much, I actually keep it in a baggie and in my coat pocket. For some reason it just comforts me and makes me feel happy.

On the same note, any stones that make you feel yucky when holding it?

I had a 8ct paraiba tourmaline I bought that just made me feel very anxious and uncomfortable when I looked at it. It was VERY saturated, and a perfect blue/green color...nearly flawless, and got a GREAT deal on it. But I ended up returning it because the feeling it gave me was so bad. I couldnt stand looking at it. It was so bad I never even posted pictures on here because I didnt want to be around it.

I know this is very unscientific, but it is said stones can carry energy with them. If you buy the stone off someone else, maybe the energy they had around them, or the energy of the area it was mined from can follow the stone?

ETA: A great example is the hope diamond...its energy is so bad it seems everyone who posses it gets sick or dies? Again...one of those far out, crazy ideas...but something to think about?

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I certainly do not think it is weird at all. People seems to have energetic connections with everything- you know how people get vibes? yup. and I don't think it's a hokey question, you see, in the physics course I'm taking, my prof tends to go off topic regularly with some very outlandish sounding hypothesizes about energy etc... last week we talked about the possibility of being in two places at once and walking through walls. apparently it's all about vibration, being in sync. Many lines of thinking have surrounded the idea of everything being connected, that if we just listen and open up our hearts and minds, we could feel that connection.

referring to your paraiba, some people believe that items like gemstones can hold energy, and that the people who come into contact with them can sometimes leave a trace of their energy behind. Perhaps that gem had some 'bad history' and you were able to feel it somehow.

My mom gave me a rhodochrosite heart shaped cab. I hadn't pulled it out of its box in quite sometime- but all the sudden I had an urge to bring it out. Later that day I was feeling down on myself, put my hands in my pockets, and there it was, gave me an instant pick me up. Perhaps a coincidence, or perhaps there was a connection...

sorry so long of a post, but I'm fascinated by anthropology, particularly spiritual beliefs, so I apologize if this is all jibberish. I just love hearing about how people have explained the world around them, the events, sensations, phenomena and whatnot...
34.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On one hand, I am superstitious like everyone else. I wear my ruby all the time since I read somewhere that ruby brings prosperity and health. On the other hand, a scientist in me feels that it may be not relevant and stones just reflect our expectations or fears. (Like all of us have lucky or unlucky dresses or shoes, for example). I agree that you may feel different "energy" with different stones - tourmaline is piezo-electric, and so is amber, so we may feel something different especially after wearing them for a while. I also think cabochons feel nice, just because they are polished and smooth; some people may feel it is "energy". This being said, I have a Maw-sit-sit uncut stone "blessed" by a Buddhist monk - I would touch it at least once a day for luck.

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hallo,

That is a big topic and was often very controversly discussed, sometimes with people getting offensive.

We are a somehow spiritual gem company, with good karma and so, and I have had many customers from all over the world buying gems for health, astrology or plain good luck.

Over the years there were quite a few occasions in which I (as a basically scientific person) could not explain what or why stuff happened in connection with gemstones.

In other cases customers, especially from the West, had too high expectations into an astrological gem ("fix my life") and later started to blame the gem for not "functioning".

Big topic.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
The magical properties of some crystals has been well-established scientifically, such as the work done by Warren Marrison and J.W. Horton at Bell Labs in the 1920''s.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I took a class like that too. A quantum physics class. Very interesting theories.

Thanks for responding guys, I like to hear your ideas and theories on this.

I agree that maybe someone left a bad 'vibe' on that paraiba. I love my other paraibas, and that one was beautiful. But man did I hate it LOL. I am very sensitive to energy in general (If I am anxious or stressed, electronics will actually stop working around me) so maybe I pick up more then most people with gemstones. Maybe another reason I am so drawn to them.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
i would have taken that paraiba off your hands....
31.gif

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LOL I would have given it to you! I paid 400 for it, and it looked identical to LDs big paraiba (color and glow), and had NO window. I tried hard to love it and to get over it but couldnt. I get a yucky feeling just remebering that stone lol.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
whoa, that is some bad karma....

i wonder why you didn''t sell it on instead?

was the mojo really that bad?
6.gif

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It was THAT bad. The night I recieved it, it was sitting on my hutch and I was laying on the couch about 2 feet away. I could NOT get comfortable with it around, I ended up sticking it in my bedroom. I just wanted to get rid of it.

But that is prolly why they sold it for 400! LOL. The seller prolly wanted to get rid of that tainted stone too!!

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Very interesting and controversial topic. I generally consider myself to have a scientific mindset, but the whole idea of stones being somehow able to affect our lives appeals to me. I guess it comes from my mom's pot smoking crystal healer friend.

I am not really convinced that you can just select a stone from a book and necessarilly achieve a desired change in terms of health, life, etc., and I am even less inclined to believe that the date of your birth means that certain gems are lucky for you. That said, there are gems that I feel a certain connection with, that I like to have on me at certain times.

On the other hand, I have a black opal pendant that I rarely wear. The stone is lovely, but on three separate occasions, and with three separate friends, I've had a nasty argument while wearing it. Maybe the stone is bad luck? Maybe I subconsciously believe in some inherrent power of the stone, making me behave in a way that creates said situation?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosetta,
You have the most famous "bad karma" stone in the world in your avatar.
2.gif

It has brought good karma to the Smithsonian though.
9.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2010 8:19:08 AM
Author: RockHugger
It was THAT bad. The night I recieved it, it was sitting on my hutch and I was laying on the couch about 2 feet away. I could NOT get comfortable with it around, I ended up sticking it in my bedroom. I just wanted to get rid of it.

But that is prolly why they sold it for 400! LOL. The seller prolly wanted to get rid of that tainted stone too!!
OMG Rockhugger - you''re a rabbit???????????????????????
9.gif
23.gif
9.gif

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I''m a big believer of energy in stones and I notice mood changes based on what stone I may have near me. I use and wear them based on this. Also, for this reason each stone I deal with is handled in an energy positive way when I buy/sell/set them.

--Joshua

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have totally experienced this with diamonds and expect it to happen with gemstones too (I''m just delving into colored stones personally). It''s almost always positive energy associated with a stone, though I did have one ring that filled me with all sorts of baaaaad ju-ju. We''re talking bad, negative feelings, bad dreams, etc. My 4 year old even reported having bad dreams very similar to mine during the short time that ring was in our house (but not once since I sent it away).

BUT, I got it the heck out of my house and all has been well every since.

It got so bad I even researched cleansing rituals, that''s how convinced I was that the ring was somehow sinister! Too bad...it was truly one of the most beautiful rings I''d ever seen. But it''s in a new home now and the owner (with full looney-bin disclosure from me, lol) is very happy and reports that nothing negative has happened while the ring has been in her possession. So perhaps the energy in these pieces reacts with our own energy resulting in positive, negative or neutral experience?

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 10:07:45 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Rosetta,
You have the most famous ''bad karma'' stone in the world in your avatar.
2.gif

It has brought good karma to the Smithsonian though.
9.gif
TL, like the smithsonian, I aint afraid of a bit of no-no mojo
10.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2010 7:40:33 AM
I took a class like that too. A quantum physics class. Very interesting theories.

I agree that maybe someone left a bad 'vibe' on that paraiba. I love my other paraibas, and that one was beautiful. But man did I hate it LOL. I am very sensitive to energy in general (If I am anxious or stressed, electronics will actually stop working around me) so maybe I pick up more then most people with gemstones. Maybe another reason I am so drawn to them.
I know for sure that there is one "statistically" proven case of an "unhappy" stone - when one of Popes (I think it was Clement the VIIth) got sick his doctors fed him with grinded emeralds that cut through his intestines! He died...

Hope I am not offensive, but I think it is premature to mention quantum physics. Take it from the wife of a well-known physicist.

I just think that by nature of your profession, you may be more SENSITIVE TO TOUCH. A neuromuscular therapist, it is in your hands. So you may feel some differences in temperature, texture and think they are "vibes". That's why you may be picking up more, but I think it may be with other objects, animate or inanimate as well.

As to electronics...either you have too much in your house or...well, when I am stressed out, I tend to drop cell phones or remote controllers, so, in a way, electronics stops working around me as well. (LOL). I wouldn't call it interference of magnetic fields.

Paraibas have been discussed a lot here. I, for one, get "code red" signal when I see the word "alexandrite" or "Paraiba" - have to read it, whatever is discussed. I do not believe that my alex is unhappy, despite all the mystery surrounding "alexandrites". But a window irritates me, and it can spoil my day because I start asking myself if I should have gone with the other one I liked.

Oh, and BTW, I believe that while stones have been used for healing for a long time, the biggest interest to their properties developed at the time when alchemy was on the rize - they were searching for a "Philosophic stone" that could turn metals into gold. After that, people started looking at the stones in a totally different way.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2010 11:52:48 AM
Author: crasru

I know for sure that there is one 'statistically' proven case of an 'unhappy' stone - when one of Popes (I think it was Clement the VIIth) got sick his doctors fed him with grinded emeralds that cut through his intestines! He died...

Hope I am not offensive, but I think it is premature to mention quantum physics. Take it from the wife of a well-known physicist.

I just think that by nature of your profession, you may be more SENSITIVE TO TOUCH. A neuromuscular therapist, it is in your hands. So you may feel some differences in temperature, texture and think they are 'vibes'. That's why you may be picking up more, but I think it may be with other objects, animate or inanimate as well.

As to electronics...either you have too much in your house or...well, when I am stressed out, I tend to drop cell phones or remote controllers, so, in a way, electronics stops working around me as well. (LOL). I wouldn't call it interference of magnetic fields.

Paraibas have been discussed a lot here. I, for one, get 'code red' signal when I see the word 'alexandrite' or 'Paraiba' - have to read it, whatever is discussed. I do not believe that my alex is unhappy, despite all the mystery surrounding 'alexandrites'. But a window irritates me, and it can spoil my day because I start asking myself if I should have gone with the other one I liked.

Oh, and BTW, I believe that while stones have been used for healing for a long time, the biggest interest to their properties developed at the time when alchemy was on the rize - they were searching for a 'Philosophic stone' that could turn metals into gold. After that, people started looking at the stones in a totally different way.
Oh man, if you're married to Brian Cox, I will be sooooooooooooo jealous!! I love physics, and I've noticed a lot of gem afficionados are physicists, or love physics (note my hypercube avatar
2.gif
)

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is an interesting topic. Would you mind sharing what you''ve found out?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2010 12:27:15 PM

I agree that maybe someone left a bad ''vibe'' on that paraiba. I love my other paraibas, and that one was beautiful. But man did I hate it LOL. I am very sensitive to energy in general (If I am anxious or stressed, electronics will actually stop working around me) so maybe I pick up more then most people with gemstones. Maybe another reason I am so drawn to them.
I know for sure that there is one ''statistically'' proven case of an ''unhappy'' stone - when one of Popes (I think it was Clement the VIIth) got sick his doctors fed him with grinded emeralds that cut through his intestines! He died...

I just think that by nature of your profession, you may be more SENSITIVE TO TOUCH. A neuromuscular therapist, it is in your hands. So you may feel some differences in temperature, texture and think they are ''vibes''. That''s why you may be picking up more, but I think it may be with other objects, animate or inanimate as well.

As to electronics...either you have too much in your house or...well, when I am stressed out, I tend to drop cell phones or remote controllers, so, in a way, electronics stops working around me as well. (LOL). I wouldn''t call it interference of magnetic fields.

Paraibas have been discussed a lot here. I, for one, get ''code red'' signal when I see the word ''alexandrite'' or ''Paraiba'' - have to read it, whatever is discussed. I do not believe that my alex is unhappy, despite all the mystery surrounding ''alexandrites''. But a window irritates me, and it can spoil my day because I start asking myself if I should have gone with the other one I liked.

Oh, and BTW, I believe that while stones have been used for healing for a long time, the biggest interest to their properties developed at the time when alchemy was on the rize - they were searching for a ''Philosophic stone'' that could turn metals into gold. After that, people started looking at the stones in a totally different way.
Oh man, if you''re married to Brian Cox, I will be sooooooooooooo jealous!! I love physics, and I''ve noticed a lot of gem afficionados are physicists, or love physicists (note my hypercube avatar
2.gif
)
TL, I don''t want to sound boastful but besides his main work, my husband collaborates with IPCC (International Panel on Climate Change). In 2007, IPCC was awarded Nobel Prize and he has a diploma "For contributing to Nobel Prize" from IPCC (No one got the money, of course, since it was awarded to IPCC - sad...). But my husband has been laughingly saying that I am...now...mmm...living with a Nobel Prize winner.

As to gem afficionados, well, he has a Ph.D. in physics and he is also a good mathematician so he quickly calculates the price of the gem and compares it against the prize of different stocks and the ultimate effect on his 401K...No luck there!

But since it was an ultimate case of self-disclosure, I guess now I have to put his NP diploma in my avatar...

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I agree that maybe someone left a bad ''vibe'' on that paraiba. I love my other paraibas, and that one was beautiful. But man did I hate it LOL. I am very sensitive to energy in general (If I am anxious or stressed, electronics will actually stop working around me) so maybe I pick up more then most people with gemstones. Maybe another reason I am so drawn to them.
I know for sure that there is one ''statistically'' proven case of an ''unhappy'' stone - when one of Popes (I think it was Clement the VIIth) got sick his doctors fed him with grinded emeralds that cut through his intestines! He died...

I just think that by nature of your profession, you may be more SENSITIVE TO TOUCH. A neuromuscular therapist, it is in your hands. So you may feel some differences in temperature, texture and think they are ''vibes''. That''s why you may be picking up more, but I think it may be with other objects, animate or inanimate as well.

As to electronics...either you have too much in your house or...well, when I am stressed out, I tend to drop cell phones or remote controllers, so, in a way, electronics stops working around me as well. (LOL). I wouldn''t call it interference of magnetic fields.

Paraibas have been discussed a lot here. I, for one, get ''code red'' signal when I see the word ''alexandrite'' or ''Paraiba'' - have to read it, whatever is discussed. I do not believe that my alex is unhappy, despite all the mystery surrounding ''alexandrites''. But a window irritates me, and it can spoil my day because I start asking myself if I should have gone with the other one I liked.

Oh, and BTW, I believe that while stones have been used for healing for a long time, the biggest interest to their properties developed at the time when alchemy was on the rize - they were searching for a ''Philosophic stone'' that could turn metals into gold. After that, people started looking at the stones in a totally different way.
I know this is off topic, but they dont work around me for that reason (except for the phone I just dropped in my glass of water LOL). For example...when I was buying a house, the realitor was trying to print the papers. The printer wouldnt work. I left the room and bam, it worked. I got my taxes done, the computer kept shutting down. I went to the bathroom, it worked. Came back...and didnt work again.

I was stressed at work one time, and walked up to a coworker using her laptop. Her screen went crazy. I walked away and the screen was fine. There are a ton more examples but it is so routine now, if an electronic doesnt work I will automatically take a few steps back and it always goes back to normal.

I have an electrical problem in my heart, and I actually brought this up to my electrophysiologist once. He said he has heard of it before in people with my condition. He said we were freaks of nature (in a joking way of course). When I am stressed my heart also acts up, and that is when stuff doesnt work.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2010 12:54:46 PM

Oh man, if you''re married to Brian Cox, I will be sooooooooooooo jealous!! I love physics, and I''ve noticed a lot of gem afficionados are physicists, or love physicists (note my hypercube avatar
2.gif
)
TL, I don''t want to sound boastful but besides his main work, my husband collaborates with IPCC (International Panel on Climate Change). In 2007, IPCC was awarded Nobel Prize and he has a diploma ''For contributing to Nobel Prize'' from IPCC (No one got the money, of course, since it was awarded to IPCC - sad...). But my husband has been laughingly saying that I am...now...mmm...living with a Nobel Prize winner.

As to gem afficionados, well, he has a Ph.D. in physics and he is also a good mathematician so he quickly calculates the price of the gem and compares it against the prize of different stocks and the ultimate effect on his 401K...No luck there!

But since it was an ultimate case of self-disclosure, I guess now I have to put his NP diploma in my avatar...
That is so cool, and I''m still jealous because I love physics, and physicists. My husband is an electrical engineer and I''m a programmer for a huge corporation, but my degree is in mathematics. We both love science, and we can discuss multi-dimensions, but I would love to discuss it more with a true physicist. Well, I guess this is pretty off-topic, but it''s fascinating to learn about some of the interesting backgrounds of our fellow Pricescopers.
2.gif

BTW, I''m glad he''s not Brian Cox, because then I would be sending you devil eyes!!
11.gif
LOL!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2010 1:03:47 PM

Date: 2/2/2010 12:54:46 PM

2.gif
)
TL, I don''t want to sound boastful but besides his main work, my husband collaborates with IPCC (International Panel on Climate Change). In 2007, IPCC was awarded Nobel Prize and he has a diploma ''For contributing to Nobel Prize'' from IPCC (No one got the money, of course, since it was awarded to IPCC - sad...). But my husband has been laughingly saying that I am...now...mmm...living with a Nobel Prize winner.

That is so cool, and I''m still jealous because I love physics, and physicists. My husband is an electrical engineer and I''m a programmer for a huge corporation, but my degree is in mathematics. We both love science, and we can discuss multi-dimensions, but I would love to discuss it more with a true physicist. Well, I guess this is pretty off-topic, but it''s fascinating to learn about some of the interesting backgrounds of our fellow Pricescopers.
2.gif

BTW, I''m glad he''s not Brian Cox, because then I would be sending you devil eyes!!
11.gif
LOL!
Why don''t we start a new thread about DH in PS Cafe?

On top of everything, my husband was a HEALTHY VOLUNTEER in my Ph.D. study when both of us were young - that is how we met. Now I am a true believer in the value of a STATISTICALLY PROVEN THEORY!

I guess we have to add something to stay on topic...Say, this structure in your avatar...reminds me of spinel''s octahedral chrystal...(LOL).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2010 1:12:17 PM

Why don''t we start a new thread about DH in PS Cafe?

On top of everything, my husband was a HEALTHY VOLUNTEER in my Ph.D. study when both of us were young - that is how we met. Now I am a true believer in the value of a STATISTICALLY PROVEN THEORY!

I guess we have to add something to stay on topic...Say, this structure in your avatar...reminds me of spinel''s octahedral chrystal...(LOL).
It''s a hypercube, or a three dimensional rotating shadow of a four dimensional cube (tesseract or hypercube) projected on a two dimensional plane (your monitor).

Sure open a new thread in PS Cafe. I used to date a physicist I met in college too, but unfortunately he wasn''t the "one."

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock

crasru, I think there definitely is something to be said about it being related to ''the nature of your profession.'' In an anthropology class I took, we had a guest speaker come in and talk to us about magic... things from rain dances, sacred rituals, all the way to ''sports magic'' as in always wearing your lucky jersey, or touching the mascot, saying ''incantations'' (aka, a pep rally victory cry.) It was fascinating to see how all those things linked together. Whatever they call it, I think people everywhere have some sense of this. We add meaning to the strangest things, we communicate through symbolism. example, what is a diamond ring but fashioned metal around a carbon source? we add meaning, value and voila! we have a symbol of love and commitment. It''s about the meaning behind things, and how people have come to describe their world, whether through scientific measures or faith or their own deductions.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, certain stones I own make me happy and relaxed, while others I rarely wear even though they are pretty. I am a big believer that stones tell stories and have a past. When we die our bodies become part of the earth, and stones are mined from the earth so maybe they do hold more significance than we know about!

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/2/2010 2:05:45 PM
Author: PinkAsscher678
Yes, certain stones I own make me happy and relaxed, while others I rarely wear even though they are pretty. I am a big believer that stones tell stories and have a past. When we die our bodies become part of the earth, and stones are mined from the earth so maybe they do hold more significance than we know about!
I like that! Very deep!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2010 2:05:45 PM
Author: PinkAsscher678
Well, as Carl Sagan famously said, ''we''re all made of star stuff'' and that includes our beloved gems.
2.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many scientists believe in unknown or mystic. I just hope people do not forget their regular checkups while relying on the healing power of zircon. Sorry if I offended anyone; there is always one skeptic in any group.

RH, have you ever read Chesterton? A wonderful English mystery writer; his Father Brown is amazing. A Catholic priest, father Brown nevertheless says, "I don't believe in supernatural; I believe in sunlight" (sorry, citation from memory, imprecise).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results