shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you consider 40 old?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
No, I think forty is fabulous
9.gif

ETA: For reference I am 19.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2009 4:44:23 PM
Author: kimmyintexas
Whitby, you are a very beautiful lady!

thanks kimmy!

i dont know that i agree with you, but i''ve certainly grown into my skin over the years and have worked out a ''look'' which i feel works for me and reflects who i am. and i like that.

:)

bebe

Ideal_Rock
40, old - no way.

I am 54. When I think about my mother at my age, I think she looked 54! And so did my aunts and the ladies around me.
Could it be because we simply live "younger" these days? We seem younger in not only our looks, but the way we live
and our spirit. I know my mom and others didn''t ride bicycles, jump in the pool, hike through forests. They didn''t zip around town in a convertible
or on the back of a motorcycle. Maybe they were too busy raising us kiddos and didn''t have the luxuries most of us have these days.
But when I look back (to 50''s and 60''s) I see pictures of my mom, she looks her age. (she''s 92 now)That''s not a bad thing. But nowadays, you cannot
always tell a woman''s age. Almost all my friends are close to my age and I have to admit they all look great. They all make an effort to dress
appropriately, but not fuddy duddy! ;-) No one in my group has done any plastic surgery or Botox. But if they did, I''m fine with that. I haven''t
ruled it out, but for now I''m good to go. And being 54 is not without it''s little aches and pains, but I''m so grateful for my health. (knock on wood)

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Wow, this thread made me feel much better. What a boost it was reading it!

And to those who posted photos, thanks for sharing and you ladies look fantastic!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2009 10:38:03 PM
Author: whitby_2773
Date: 7/18/2009 4:44:23 PM

Author: kimmyintexas

Whitby, you are a very beautiful lady!

thanks kimmy!

i dont know that i agree with you, but i''ve certainly grown into my skin over the years and have worked out a ''look'' which i feel works for me and reflects who i am. and i like that.

Kareyn...you are beautiful! Don''t sell yourself short! Thanks for posting your pic...because I don''t think I would have had the nerve to post mine! (BTW we have the same haircut..except mine has grown so much and I need to visit the salon
9.gif
) See you soon
35.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Meh, age is all about how you feel! Numbers don''t mean squat.
16.gif

Now, about the looks....I am 31 but was almost kicked out of a pub because the bartender thought I was under 18, so it might be a while before I *look* old, whatever ''old'' is!
3.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2009 4:02:15 PM

ellen, you and i are the same age - 49. i only turned 49 four weeks ago, so i dont have any photos of me at 49 - but i *do* have a photo of me at 48, so here you go, no make up, straight on, bare naked face....

like you, when i tell people i''ll be 50 next birthday, i often get the ''no way!'' reaction, and i''ve had people jump forward and check out my face. i appreciate the genes i''ve been given, but i''d rather feel young that look young. health trumps looks and happiness/contentment trumps everything in my book.
This cracked me up, I can just see it!!
9.gif
I''m tellin ya, when that gal touched my face, I was like wth?? Strange, but complimentary I guess.
lol.gif

You look great miss, especially nekkie! (yer brave lol) I don''t have a recent photo either, but I don''t post them online even if I did, just not comfortable doing that. And I totally agree with your sentiments. Health and happiness absolutely trump looks.
2.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2009 8:09:49 AM
Author: Ellen

ellen, you and i are the same age - 49. i only turned 49 four weeks ago, so i dont have any photos of me at 49 - but i *do* have a photo of me at 48, so here you go, no make up, straight on, bare naked face....

like you, when i tell people i'll be 50 next birthday, i often get the 'no way!' reaction, and i've had people jump forward and check out my face. i appreciate the genes i've been given, but i'd rather feel young that look young. health trumps looks and happiness/contentment trumps everything in my book.
9.gif
I'm tellin ya, when that gal touched my face, I was like wth?? Strange, but complimentary I guess.
lol.gif

You look great miss, especially nekkie! (yer brave lol) I don't have a recent photo either, but I don't post them online even if I did, just not comfortable doing that. And I totally agree with your sentiments. Health and happiness absolutely trump looks.
2.gif

lol - thanks ellen and atroop. :)

i groaned when i put up my photo. i have my photo up on my WW page, but putting up your own photo as an example of not looking old a 49 is a totally different kettle of fish! so - why did i do it? well...because it was ME who made a flip comment about 'do we LOOK old at 40', and it was my FRIEND, upgradable, who actually had the balls to do it! and i saw her photo there, and i thought..."i can't leave her out there...", so up it went.

one day - seriously - i'll learn to just Shut. Up.

and i am FULLY aware, Miss Ellen, that i have not seen your face on this forum. but i'm a tenacious little thing (euphemism only - more like a tenacious plump thing, but it doesn't scan as well) - and one day we'll meet, i just know it! and i'm sure i'll say, as i'm leaping forward...

"wow! you don't look your age! er...can i touch your face??"

31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

(actually, americans can be amazing for their lack of boundaries! i've been pawed more here in the last 6 years than i ever was at home! (by the way - let's be clear on this - i LOVE americans!) but so many have no boundaries! and as they're in my personal space, i often hear..."and your accent is soooo CUTE!" i often come away feeling like a bemused koala...)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2009 9:10:57 AM

i groaned when i put up my photo. i have my photo up on my WW page, but putting up your own photo as an example of not looking old a 49 is a totally different kettle of fish! so - why did i do it? well...because it was ME who made a flip comment about ''do we LOOK old at 40'', and it was my FRIEND, upgradable, who actually had the balls to do it! and i saw her photo there, and i thought...''i can''t leave her out there...'', so up it went.

one day - seriously - i''ll learn to just Shut. Up.

and i am FULLY aware, Miss Ellen, that i have not seen your face on this forum. but i''m a tenacious little thing (euphemism only - more like a tenacious plump thing, but it doesn''t scan as well) - and one day we''ll meet, i just know it! and i''m sure i''ll say, as i''m leaping forward...

''wow! you don''t look your age! er...can i touch your face??''

31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

(actually, americans can be amazing for their lack of boundaries! i''ve been pawed more here in the last 6 years than i ever was at home! (by the way - let''s be clear on this - i LOVE americans!) but so many have no boundaries! and as they''re in my personal space, i often hear...''and your accent is soooo CUTE!'' i often come away feeling like a bemused koala...)
LOL! Funny.
9.gif

I think it''s great you backed upgradeble up. That''s a true friend.
2.gif

And yeah, some people don''t get the whole personal space thing.....
scratchhead.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2009 10:01:37 AM

i groaned when i put up my photo. i have my photo up on my WW page, but putting up your own photo as an example of not looking old a 49 is a totally different kettle of fish! so - why did i do it? well...because it was ME who made a flip comment about ''do we LOOK old at 40'', and it was my FRIEND, upgradable, who actually had the balls to do it! and i saw her photo there, and i thought...''i can''t leave her out there...'', so up it went.

and i am FULLY aware, Miss Ellen, that i have not seen your face on this forum. but i''m a tenacious little thing (euphemism only - more like a tenacious plump thing, but it doesn''t scan as well) - and one day we''ll meet, i just know it! and i''m sure i''ll say, as i''m leaping forward...

31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

(actually, americans can be amazing for their lack of boundaries! i''ve been pawed more here in the last 6 years than i ever was at home! (by the way - let''s be clear on this - i LOVE americans!) but so many have no boundaries! and as they''re in my personal space, i often hear...''and your accent is soooo CUTE!'' i often come away feeling like a bemused koala...)
LOL! Funny.
9.gif

I think it''s great you backed upgradeble up. That''s a true friend.
2.gif

And yeah, some people don''t get the whole personal space thing.....
scratchhead.gif
And that she is!! The whole picture posting thing was worth it, just to see Richard kind of twisting in the wind wondering which direction was politically correct to go!!!

For the record, I am 47 years of age, and have comfortably accepted myself as I am.
35.gif

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
I think all the obsession with being or at least looking young is not healthy or realistic.

I'd rather work at resisting this harmful social pressure and being at peace with the natural progression of my appearance and work to cultivate greater inner beauty.

Of course I'm not fully there; but it is my goal.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2009 12:16:46 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
And a fine 47 you are...

Haven, Whitby, Atroop, Upgradeable. All babes.

woohoo...I''m a babe! Wait ''til a tell my husband
9.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
And a fine 47 you are...

God bless you, Richard. :)

and - just because, out of all of us, i haven't mentioned or responded to her photo yet...

indeed. the lovely Haven is eeeeeeasy on the eye, isn't she?

lucky Mr Haven! (who is not too shabby himself!)

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Not to a guy.
9.gif
I''ll hit 40 in 2 years, and I''m surprised I still draw admiring glances from women half my age.
But prospective employers seem to think that anyone past 35 is near retirement.
29.gif

Age is more a state of mind. I remember as a 35 yr old taking part in a martial arts tournament fighting against fit 18-20 yr olds and guess what? I kicked a** all the way to the finals.
25.gif
To me 40 is not old, its GOLD.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m 22 and I haven''t thought 40 was old since I was in middle school. I think 40 seems like a great age. A lot of people really seem to enjoy that time of their life.. I don''t think I''ll ever dread it!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2009 1:54:01 PM

And a fine 47 you are...

God bless you, Richard. :)

and - just because, out of all of us, i haven''t mentioned or responded to her photo yet...

indeed. the lovely Haven is eeeeeeasy on the eye, isn''t she?

lucky Mr Haven! (who is not too shabby himself!)

Yes, G-d bless you, Richard and Whitby. You two are too kind. I should hang around here more often.

Whitby, dear, I would kill for your cheekbones. If I look as good as you do when I''m your age, I''ll be one happy gal. No, scratch that--I''ll be ecstatic!

April20

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely not! Especially now that I''m closer to 40 than I am to 20, DH turns 40 next month and a lot of our friends are around that age bracket as well.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
No. Way.

I''m nearly 23 and have a baby face. Perhaps when I''m 80 I''ll yearn for these days, but as of now I can''t wait to tack on some additional years! My parents (58 yo) both agree that their 40s were some of the best years they had- and if they could, they''d rewind to that decade. Happy, healthy, wise, settled... It''s the best of everything. And the most youthful 40-50 year olds are those that don''t TRY to be "young." Au Natural is the way to go, IMHO. No fake tanning, no caking on makeup... just embracing the years as they come. (easy for a 23yo to say, I know...)

I think "old" is when the body/mind starts to "go." Now, this is different for different people... a lot depends on genes and how one takes care of herself. Its strange watching my parents and my uncles and aunts... all mid 50''s to mid 60''s... as the years go by. Creaking knees. Chronic pain. Serious health concerns... Not fun. Sorry for being Debbie Downer
4.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no, not in the least. I've never thought of 40 as "old," surprisingly, even when I was very young. I think I tend to only start mentally labeling people as "old" closer to 70+, but even than that's "older" in my mind. When I think/say "old," I'm picturing someone nearing their 90s
3.gif

I did think of early 20s as being a lot more "grown up" than I'm experiencing it to be, though. I thought of 20-somethings as full-on adults who would easily be married with children and houses... and I know that that is the case for many, but it certainly hasn't held true for my circle!

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone seen the August Vogue? - cover is Christy Turlington age: 40

She looks like a goddess, just beautiful. Forty is young.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
i''ll be 40 in a few months - yikes, where did the time go!
I still feel frisky like in my early 20''s. i just have less stamina!
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
now that i am ~5 years away, heck no!
my hub is turning 41 in 2 weeks and he's not old, maybe more wise? shhh don't tell him i admitted that.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
My late 30''s and early 40''s were my best years...so far
36.gif
36.gif
- fabulous!! Such fun for DH and I to remember
9.gif

The reasons they were so good were that we had formal education behind us, our kids were almost grown up, and if we wanted to do something - like travel - we could. We each had careers that gave us a lovely lifestyle with lots of friends and just general fun.
9.gif

Celebrate every year as if it were your last
35.gif

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
I am 26.

I do not consider 40 old.

I really think that age is just a number and it is more about how you feel. I think that a person's health and attitude goes a long way in the age that they feel (and even sometimes look).

When I think of "old" I think of 70 and over... but that may change soon since my mom is going to be 70 in a few years and I dont want to think of her as old quite yet
1.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

Date: 7/19/2009 8:09:49 AM

like you, when i tell people i''ll be 50 next birthday, i often get the ''no way!'' reaction, and i''ve had people jump forward and check out my face. i appreciate the genes i''ve been given, but i''d rather feel young that look young. health trumps looks and happiness/contentment trumps everything in my book.
9.gif
I''m tellin ya, when that gal touched my face, I was like wth?? Strange, but complimentary I guess.
lol.gif

You look great miss, especially nekkie! (yer brave lol) I don''t have a recent photo either, but I don''t post them online even if I did, just not comfortable doing that. And I totally agree with your sentiments. Health and happiness absolutely trump looks.
2.gif

31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

Yessiree!! I have balls!!!

I just can''t remember who''s they were??
11.gif

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
not at all!!!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
No, but I lived in FL for several years, so I consider people in their 50s "younger" too. I really think that these days, 60 is more of the "older" line.

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
I don''t consider 40 old at all, I figure it just starts getting better around then! I will be 50 in October and I never lie about my age. I love telling people I have a 28 year old and hearing that I look too young to have a son that old
21.gif
. What really surprises me is that I have been letting my gray grow in for the past year and a half and people still think I look young even with the gray!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Hell No!! If 40 is old, I''m nearing ancient. I work with about 8000 people who are between the ages of 65-90. Old to me is now over 85.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results