shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you consider 40 old?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/18/2009 2:27:06 AM
Author: rainwood
It depends.

If you want to be a professional football player, yes. If you want to be Miss America, yes. If you want to wear a really short skirt and a tank top, yes (with some limited exceptions).

If you want to be president, no. If you want to be a Supreme Court justice, no. If you want to wear a 10 ct. honking big diamond, no.
I LOVED your answer, rainwood.

And no, I con''t consider 40 old. I''m in kick-butt shape. :) Doesn''t mean I look perfect, BY FAR - but I am fit.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Okay, some people here know my age, but many do not. This a recent picture (within the last month or so) of me playing with my dog Roxy.

Be critical. If you saw this person on the street, how old would you think she was?

v;eslrkja;oszijdveag.JPG

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/18/2009 10:06:41 AM
Author: Ara Ann
I don''t think 80 is old either...my mom just turned 79 and has as much energy as I do and is very active... My DH still has both of his grandmothers, one is 93 and the other is 91 and still lives and takes care of her own home...I think 93 is ''getting there'' - but we have great examples of older people to look up to in our family.

Black Jade, about looking young equating to feeling young...I think it does matter, at least to me. I have taken very good care of my skin for example, I avoid the sun because I am fair skinned, I don''t smoke or drink...I think if I had more ''wear and tear'' outwardly, it would affect how I felt inside...I wouldn''t want to look older than I am for instance. My oldest son''s girlfriend''s mother is my age (6 months older than I am), is a regular smoker, sunbather and social drinker...and it does show in her face. She looks a lot older than I do, just based on surface things. Does this mean she doesn''t ''feel'' young? Maybe not, but I know it would make a difference in how I felt about myself.

Well, we have to agree to disagree. I don''t see wrinkles as a problem and I don''t see them as making anyone look ''ugly'', all other things being equal. I wouldn''t want to have a bunch of wrinkles in my thirties, which I do see happen to some people, mostly as you state above, heavy smoker-drinker-tanning beds types, but to have a few in your fities seems very reasonable, and some more in your sixties, and I said, women in their seventies without them tend to have that Joan Rivers look (ew!!) when they have paid some surgeon to have none.

This is just my opinion, of course and I know it''s not a common one in our culture. One of the things I like about Europe (I''''m thinking of France particularly, where I''ve spent some time) is that you can be considered to be very pretty and attractive there as a woman who is aging, more than in our advertising driven/youth obsessed culture.

Maybe I have prejudices in this area. I looked so young for so long and it was an annoyance in so many ways. My family has some genetic thing where this happens to us. My brothers and sisters, my dad, my grandmother, my great-grandmother-- I used to be taken for a teenager in my early 30''s and when I started teaching in college in late 30''s could not convince anyone that I was not a student for years and years. It results in not being taken seriously and people talking down to you (I can''t count the number of times I used to hear condescendingly from people--''when you get to my age, you''ll realize blah blah blah''--and then it would turn out that I was OLDER than they were). I would have to ASK for professor privileges (books being able to held out of the library for longer--they''d always put on the wrong stamp) and as for being carded! I went out for 45th birthday and was the only one at the dining room table that the waiter demanded to see driver''s license. This made me laugh. He kept waiting. Other people at the table told me, You have to show it to him, you know. I guess I should have been complimented, but I was SO irritated. Combined with being little in stature (which seems to give people the urge to pat you on the head at any age) it''s annoying to have people treat you as if you''re not grown up. You earn some privileges with age that I don''t think you appreciate unless you''re not getting them. At least, you SHOULD earn some privileges with age. I know all kinds of things I didn''t know when I was younger just from having had 20-30 years to see a lot more.

Nowadays people seem to assume I''m in my late thirties and sometimes even early forties (yay!)

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is all in your mind. If you feel young, then you are, because you will do everything to stay young. For example, you will stay fit (exercise and eat healthily), stay happy (keep yourself from having stress), and look great (wear flattering and fashionable clothing and makeup). Shopping for diamond rings defintely helps!
41.gif

kimmyintexas

Shiny_Rock
No I don''t think forty is old! Especially since I will be there in about 2 1/2 months!
2.gif
I will say that I think I have been going through a sort of mid life crisis since turning 39 last year. I went out and got my first and only tatoo without hubby''s consent (he LOVED it once he got over the shock) and I am more intent on having fun than I ever have been. I plan to go skydiving on my 40th but the closer it gets I''m starting to feel chcken. We''ll see. I too think 40 is the new 30. Most people now days do act and dress ect. much younger. I know I feel more sexy and beautiful than I ever did in my twenties and my hubby gets more gorgeous every year. It''s a good feeling to be smarter and wiser.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Do you consider 40 old?

I''d better not, since I''m a good decade past 40!!
9.gif

I''ll have you know, you young whippersnapper you, that I''m dressed in non-mom jeans, with a sexy little top, and sporting an of-the-minute cute bob hairdo. Even my makeup is young. So there.
2.gif

I may walk funny when I first get up in the morning, but I can fluff, buff, paint and spackle with just enough panache to fool everyone but Mother Nature.

My mother didn''t look this good at 50, and I''ve got the pictures to prove it!
25.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2009 12:03:04 PM
Author: Upgradable
Okay, some people here know my age, but many do not. This a recent picture (within the last month or so) of me playing with my dog Roxy.

Be critical. If you saw this person on the street, how old would you think she was?

see uppy, this is exactly what i mean. you dont look ''young'' - but you have a generally youthful look which makes it very difficult to guess an age. if i saw you on the street, i''d guess early 40''s. but when i look in your eyes i think....

about 17.

:)

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Good lord, no!

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/18/2009 12:09:38 PM
Author: Black Jade
Date: 7/18/2009 10:06:41 AM

Author: Ara Ann

I don''t think 80 is old either...my mom just turned 79 and has as much energy as I do and is very active... My DH still has both of his grandmothers, one is 93 and the other is 91 and still lives and takes care of her own home...I think 93 is ''getting there'' - but we have great examples of older people to look up to in our family.

Black Jade, about looking young equating to feeling young...I think it does matter, at least to me. I have taken very good care of my skin for example, I avoid the sun because I am fair skinned, I don''t smoke or drink...I think if I had more ''wear and tear'' outwardly, it would affect how I felt inside...I wouldn''t want to look older than I am for instance. My oldest son''s girlfriend''s mother is my age (6 months older than I am), is a regular smoker, sunbather and social drinker...and it does show in her face. She looks a lot older than I do, just based on surface things. Does this mean she doesn''t ''feel'' young? Maybe not, but I know it would make a difference in how I felt about myself.

Well, we have to agree to disagree. I don''t see wrinkles as a problem and I don''t see them as making anyone look ''ugly'', all other things being equal. I wouldn''t want to have a bunch of wrinkles in my thirties, which I do see happen to some people, mostly as you state above, heavy smoker-drinker-tanning beds types, but to have a few in your fities seems very reasonable, and some more in your sixties, and I said, women in their seventies without them tend to have that Joan Rivers look (ew!!) when they have paid some surgeon to have none.

This is just my opinion, of course and I know it''s not a common one in our culture. One of the things I like about Europe (I''''m thinking of France particularly, where I''ve spent some time) is that you can be considered to be very pretty and attractive there as a woman who is aging, more than in our advertising driven/youth obsessed culture.

Maybe I have prejudices in this area. I looked so young for so long and it was an annoyance in so many ways. My family has some genetic thing where this happens to us. My brothers and sisters, my dad, my grandmother, my great-grandmother-- I used to be taken for a teenager in my early 30''s and when I started teaching in college in late 30''s could not convince anyone that I was not a student for years and years. It results in not being taken seriously and people talking down to you (I can''t count the number of times I used to hear condescendingly from people--''when you get to my age, you''ll realize blah blah blah''--and then it would turn out that I was OLDER than they were). I would have to ASK for professor privileges (books being able to held out of the library for longer--they''d always put on the wrong stamp) and as for being carded! I went out for 45th birthday and was the only one at the dining room table that the waiter demanded to see driver''s license. This made me laugh. He kept waiting. Other people at the table told me, You have to show it to him, you know. I guess I should have been complimented, but I was SO irritated. Combined with being little in stature (which seems to give people the urge to pat you on the head at any age) it''s annoying to have people treat you as if you''re not grown up. You earn some privileges with age that I don''t think you appreciate unless you''re not getting them. At least, you SHOULD earn some privileges with age. I know all kinds of things I didn''t know when I was younger just from having had 20-30 years to see a lot more.

Nowadays people seem to assume I''m in my late thirties and sometimes even early forties (yay!)

I think we do agree, I am not equating wrinkles with being ugly, by no means...I am just saying I don''t want to look older than I am and if I did look older than my actual age, I would feel older...I don''t look 30, but I look good for my age...I think age appropriateness is very important too...I am 41 and want to look ''current'' but I do not want to try to pass as a 25 or 30 year old either. There is something sad about seeing a mature woman, dressed up in 20 year old''s clothing! Maturity brings it''s own sense of beauty...I agree with you on that 100%!
21.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if you asked me this when I just turned 20 I would say yes, now I''m only 10 years from that and i say HECK NO, it ain''t old!
9.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uppy! Your gorgeous sweetie! how bout 35?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are asking this question, when in September I will turn 60??????

Good Grief!!!!!!!! I feel wonderful and NO NO NO NO 40 is not old, it is the beginning of your life girl.

At my age, I still feel young. I look young for my age, or so I have been told. I do not dress old.

I am throwing a big birthday bash in September for some of my high school classmates. We hired a DJ. It is going to be at my house. YES, we are going swimming, bbq, and dancing to that good old rock and roll music.

So... ask me now is 40 old??????
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
41.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
My sister just completed a 50 mile bicylce run in England, where she was a guest of the local bicycling club. She is not a regular rider and she was quite sore after that long and fast ride. She is 46. BUT, the oldest guy in the ride was 79 and he kicked her butt and rode much faster and seemed perfectly fine at the end.

So, age is just a number and depending on your genetics, your self maintenance and your good luck, you can be very fit and "youthful" at about any age.

I also wonder about "looking good for your age". Is this just because society has stereotyped an age as being associated with looking old or being old?

beau13

Ideal_Rock

I usually only see hand pics..and to be honest (don''t take this to heart), I would have thought late 40''s, early 50''s..just judging by the hands.
Now that we see your face, if I seen you in a park playing with Roxy, I would think anywhere from 35-40 !

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
I hear we peak at around age 21.

Then everything starts to decline and wear out because the systems of the human body were "meant" to last about 37 years.
Humans older than that become a liability to their tribe.
They couldn't run, hunt, hear, see or work as well anymore.

So cheer up you 40-yr old.
You should be dead.
9.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock

27 ?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2009 11:19:02 AM
Author: whitby_2773
nope, but all age is perspectual. when i was 5 i thought 40 was ancient. when i''m 80 i''m sure i''ll think 40 is a mere whipper snapper.

i''ve just turned 49 and am curious to hear all the comments along the lines of ''enjoy it while it lasts'', as tho 50 signals the end of youthfulness. while i think ''youth'' ends at about 25, i think youthfulness is an individual thing which extends as far as good health and positive attitude takes it.

i think it''s a totally different question, tho, to ask if people LOOK young at 40.....

anyone care to go first on that one??
Do I get to answer if I''m not actually 40?
wobble2.gif

I don''t think I look particularly "old", but then I don''t really know what 49 is supposed to look like exactly. However, it''s funny, I went to my class reunion last year, and got a welcomed surprise. I had two people tell me I looked like I had just stepped out of the yearbook. Yes, they were drinking, which I chalked that one up to.
9.gif
Then I had a group swear I''d had "something" done to my face because I looked so "young". One gal went so far as to touch my cheek.
lol.gif
I know I passed whatever "test" that was, as I haven''t had anything done.

Now, do I think I look that young? No way. Does this mean I look younger than my age? I guess so, and by golly, I''ll take it.
5.gif
Normally I have people think I''m about 5 years younger, I''d say that''s more along the lines of what I think.

And for the record, I''ve tanned, drank, and still smoke. I''m convinced it''s mostly in the genes. Thanks mom!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2009 3:10:52 PM
Author: beau13

I usually only see hand pics..and to be honest (don''t take this to heart), I would have thought late 40''s, early 50''s..just judging by the hands.
Now that we see your face, if I seen you in a park playing with Roxy, I would think anywhere from 35-40 !
Wow! That was very nearly..... kind. Thank you, beau.

I''m of Scottish heritage and unfortunately have a lot of sun damage on my hands, arms, and legs. So, I agree that I don''t have the most attractive looking hands. I try to use the bling as a distraction!
10.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2009 3:36:51 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood

27 ?
Now I''m worried that I sent my stone to you for appraisal!!!
23.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2009 3:45:03 PM

Date: 7/18/2009 3:10:52 PM
Author: beau13

Wow! That was very nearly..... kind. Thank you, beau.

I''m of Scottish heritage and unfortunately have a lot of sun damage on my hands, arms, and legs. So, I agree that I don''t have the most attractive looking hands. I try to use the bling as a distraction!
10.gif
Almost all womens hands look older, you are far from alone, regardless of anything. And as for the highlighted part? you were kind.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
When I was young I remember the dishwashing liquid commercial where you were supposed to look at the hands and determine who was the mother and who was the daughter. What a crock!!! My hands DO look just like my mothers'', and that is not a compliment to either of us!

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I wasn't trying to be "kind"..and I"m not the kind of person who says what I think people want to hear. (kinda like a suckup, brown noser, or whatever the correct term for that kind of person is..lol). I am an honest, straight forward person, call it like I see it! The question was "how old would you think this person was"..and I answered it honestly!!
9.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2009 3:40:04 PM
Author: Ellen

Do I get to answer if I''m not actually 40?
wobble2.gif

I don''t think I look particularly ''old'', but then I don''t really know what 49 is supposed to look like exactly. However, it''s funny, I went to my class reunion last year, and got a welcomed surprise. I had two people tell me I looked like I had just stepped out of the yearbook. Yes, they were drinking, which I chalked that one up to.
9.gif
Then I had a group swear I''d had ''something'' done to my face because I looked so ''young''. One gal went so far as to touch my cheek.
lol.gif
I know I passed whatever ''test'' that was, as I haven''t had anything done.

Now, do I think I look that young? No way. Does this mean I look younger than my age? I guess so, and by golly, I''ll take it.
5.gif
Normally I have people think I''m about 5 years younger, I''d say that''s more along the lines of what I think.

And for the record, I''ve tanned, drank, and still smoke. I''m convinced it''s mostly in the genes. Thanks mom!

ellen, you and i are the same age - 49. i only turned 49 four weeks ago, so i dont have any photos of me at 49 - but i *do* have a photo of me at 48, so here you go, no make up, straight on, bare naked face....

like you, when i tell people i''ll be 50 next birthday, i often get the ''no way!'' reaction, and i''ve had people jump forward and check out my face. i appreciate the genes i''ve been given, but i''d rather feel young that look young. health trumps looks and happiness/contentment trumps everything in my book.

hairdresser visit.jpg

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2009 3:51:53 PM
When I was young I remember the dishwashing liquid commercial where you were supposed to look at the hands and determine who was the mother and who was the daughter. What a crock!!! My hands DO look just like my mothers'', and that is not a compliment to either of us!

well uppy, if we''re doing a piece by piece breakdown, pls dont miss the comment where i said the expression in your eyes makes you look 17!

and that''s NOT ''kind'' - it''s accurate!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/18/2009 1:00:19 PM
Author: HollyS
Do you consider 40 old?

I''d better not, since I''m a good decade past 40!!
9.gif

I''ll have you know, you young whippersnapper you, that I''m dressed in non-mom jeans, with a sexy little top, and sporting an of-the-minute cute bob hairdo. Even my makeup is young. So there.
2.gif

I may walk funny when I first get up in the morning, but I can fluff, buff, paint and spackle with just enough panache to fool everyone but Mother Nature.

My mother didn''t look this good at 50, and I''ve got the pictures to prove it!
25.gif
Spackle?
25.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am 36, almost 37, and I do not think that 40 is old. I do remember thinking that it was when I was in high school though, lol.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Ummmm NO! lol I''m 41 yr YOUNG and so not the same as my mom or grandmother at 40 yr old. Didn''t you hear????? 40 is the new 30? Seriously I feel like I did when I was 30....had my 3rd child at 40. I can tell you that many 20 somethings see 40 as old..but when they are in their 30''s...they will have a change of heart~
35.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2009 4:27:26 PM
Author: atroop711
Ummmm NO! lol I''m 41 yr YOUNG and so not the same as my mom or grandmother at 40 yr old. Didn''t you hear????? 40 is the new 30? Seriously I feel like I did when I was 30....had my 3rd child at 40. I can tell you that many 20 somethings see 40 as old..but when they are in their 30''s...they will have a change of heart~
35.gif

ok annette - let''s see it - can you throw a photo up? one day we''ll have lunch - and how will i know how to find you?? my photo is about 4 posts back... (or is that your whole master plan? you wont NEED to post a photo cause you''ll just look for me?!)

seriously - would love to see a photo. :)

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
ok here goes (I can''t believe I''m doing this...) but this pic was taken like 3 months ago with my son Noah. I''m 41 and don''t feel old

kimmyintexas

Shiny_Rock
Whitby, you are a very beautiful lady!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results