shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond for mens ring? ACA ...Solasfera...questions.??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rockingout

Rough_Rock
I am designing my own wedding band and wanted to put a daimond in a tension band. At the carat sizes I am interested in 0.25-0.4 carats, what should I be looking for in a diamond. I have been looking at Whiteflash''s ACA because they have about 50 ACA diamonds in that range to choose from. I know a nice ideal scope and Heart and arrows when I see one but at this small size what is more important. The color I read will not be that much of a factor because it will be so small, and the clarity will be the same, but I am planning on staying above a SI1. So I am guessing that I need to get the best cut to maximize the brilliance of the diamond, I also lke alot of fire too. With that, the prices at this range vary by a couple hundred dollars, so the sky is the limit on what I get. Will a GOG Solasfera be an option at this size? Other than that, here are a couple I pulled and want some imput from the experts.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1955242.htm#
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-503293.htm#
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-503293.htm#
http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1358322.htm#

Let me know!! Thanks

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't feel like clicking on 4 links, so I will say that I bought my husband a .38c F VS ACA for his tension set wedding ring and we adore it. I will dig out a picture and post it so you can see scale. Part of why we did not go larger was because I didn't want the DEPTH of the ring to be too thick and with a tension set stone the ring has to be thick enough to suspend the stone, and I didn't want the culet of the ring smashing into his finger. With women's tension set there is usually more of a slope up on the shoulders and away from the finger for the diamond, so larger works. But with men's bands designed to sit close to the finger, smaller was better on the stone.

If you get something other than a typical faceted stone, aka like some of the ones GOG carries....just be sure you like that look, I have seen an extra faceted stone and it was totally not my cup of tea for a ring, but it sure did sparkle. To me though it looked like what I call 'chaotic' sparkle.

Anyway, I'm a H&A fan so I'd stick with something like that...my husband's stone is probably still the best looking stone I have ever seen, even though I personally own a few other stunning WF diamonds, for whatever reason it just seems his stone was cut so precisely that it just sings louder than the others!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

Rockingout

Rough_Rock
Mara,

I searched around the site before posting this question. I found your engagment ring shown above. I really like the look of it. I know that this is the setting I will be going after so its now a question of what diamond I want to put in the tension setting. Anyone else have any input on small diamonds that look great in tension settings. I have not confined my search to Rb''s, I like the square H&A that GOG has but not sure how a small one would look in a tension setting.

Scott Terence

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

Just for reference here is a my ring with a square cushion shaped stone, if you wish to see what a rounded square would look like...

cushtens1x.jpg

Scott Terence

Shiny_Rock
and a different angle with a link for more info, hope this helps you visualize the square H&A

cushtens2x.jpg

Rockingout

Rough_Rock
Scott,

Thanks for replying. I saw your band when I was searching too! I have it bookmarked for reference, great looking band and diamond. What size is the diameter of the band and size of finger?? Also what are the dimension of the diamond. I am trying to visualize what diameter ring I want and that will pretty much dictate what diameter diamond I can put in there. I have a size 8 finger.

Thanks

Scott Terence

Shiny_Rock
Hi Rockingout,

So you are in luck because I happen to wear a size 8 ring (probably smaller but my knuckles are big) so the dimensions and proportion of the ring ought to be similar to what you are looking to have made. The width of the shank is 6mm and honestly it is a comfortable size, not too thin but not overwhelmingly wide either. My cushion stone weighs 0.39cts and it is about 4.5mm x 4.5mm ... I was lucky to find a stone with a 59% depth ie big face up for the given depth.

My only concern with using a square cushion H&A is that they tend to run deep in comparison to a RB H&A so you might need a thick (as opposed to wide) shank and that can get rather uncomfortable. I also have a 2mm thick 7mm wide Ti band and I find the ring somewhat too thick for everyday wear. Also you should keep in mind that in order to acheive that patterning in an non-round shape, that the girdle tends to run from thin to ex-thick... and I am uncertain how that might work for cutting out the divit for the tension setting.

If I get the chance I will try to take a few profile shots, but essentially my ring has a slight offset between the inner and outer diameters to allow for the stone and to keep the shank thickness reasonable and comfy. Hope some of this can be helpful for getting your ring made
10.gif
Please post pics when you get it made... it is always cool to see another tension, esp for a man''s ring. Thanks!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Scott's mention of the depth of the ring is what kept us from going any larger in the .38c stone as well. My husband didn't want some huge thick ring between his fingers. I think the stone we chose was about 2.9mm in depth and so the one he got was ~3mm or similar so the culet just barely does not touch his skin.

So that's the only downer with going larger in a ring like that. Also he wanted a wider band, but if you went with a little bit of a thinner band then it may take up more of the stone 'space'.

We originally saw this design with something like a princess stone in it and it was lovely, but I am a sucker for rounds...I think that a square H&A or a Jube or something would be great in a setting like this and the only real concern is the depth of the stone and therefore how 'thick' the ring would be.

Rockingout

Rough_Rock
Thanks Mara and Scott,

I have decided to stick with a polished titanium band with a platinum inlay instead of the gold inlay. I talked to Mr. Boone today and he confirmed what everyone was saying regarding the depth of the stone being the determing factor for the thickness of the band. I will probably stick with a size 8, 6mm wide band, 3 mm deep (thickness) and plop a 0.3 to 0.38 ACA diamond in there.

Now I have to find a beautiful diamond to put in there. Whiteflash has about 30 ACA diamonds with search parameters being 0.3 to 0.38 carat, vs2-IF, D-H. How do I sort through all of them and pick one out?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results