shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Color Poll

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cute330xigrl

Shiny_Rock
<---- an I baby.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hadn''t seen this, so I added my D VS2 pear (see avatar). LOVE this stone.

I previously had an I color round, but traded up for the bigger pear.

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Another E, VVS1 here. I just adore looking at all the zingy rainbows that fly from my stone.

blackberry

Rough_Rock
I added my K
35.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2005 9:19
6.gif
2 PM
Author: FireGoddess
I hadn''t seen this, so I added my D VS2 pear (see avatar). LOVE this stone.

I previously had an I color round, but traded up for the bigger pear.
FG, don''t forget to add your pear to the pear thread too. See cflutist for reference on that.
2.gif

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
two e-rings..a J and an H. I voted J since that''s my first official ring. sometimes the other''s a rhr.

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
Mine is an H and I''m happy with it most of the time. But if i ever get another stone, it''ll be colorless.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for pulling this back up Cflutist! When you made it before, i wasnt able to participate... but now i can!

Ive got an E.

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
hey, when it''s inherited like my omc even an M will do! I really am starting to love its warmth & the colors it throws off and since we''ve decided when it is finally set it will be in a solitaire I don''t have to worry about the color in regards to sidestones ( I''ve been lusting for blue sapphire sidestones but bf doesn''t care for that look...)

yeaahhhh for the humble Ms!!!!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
D VVS2. Her culture likes D colored stones w/ high clarity. I think it''s more for the psychological value of having "the best." That''s why she likes it even tho I could have gotten her a bigger stone if I went down in color/clarity. Yeah, it was a ton of money but seeing how happy it makes her makes it all worth it.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, I thought I responded...don't see it..
Anyhoo...

I have an E because the stone was everything I was looking for. I wanted an F or a G but I wanted THIS stone! :) In the future, I will look for an F

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Guess I didn''t respond either. . .in fact, I didn''t vote until just now.
6.gif

My eng. stone is a G. This is perfect for me. Next time around, I''ll probably look for a stone anywhere between an F to an I. Since I already have a D set into a pendant and can''t really tell the difference enough to justify spending more, I''m more than happy with a slighty lower color.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My solitaire is an "F" color. It is fine, but I think if I buy stones separately again that I will buy only "D" color stones. (I bought a topaz ring set with miniscule diamonds yesterday. I haven''t a clue what color they are, nor do I care. If I were building a ring with stones I selected, however, I would buy "D"''s now.)

I would buy only D color and ideal cut stones now...and I don''t know why. I have 3 E color rb stones of over 1 carat (one is over 2 carats); 1 F, and 1 G. Only the F is ideal cut. Then I have very, very small stones (two rb .34 stones and two rb .50 stones). These four small stones are D color and ideal cut. I also have a pair of D colored pear shaped accent stones. Very small.

My largest stone (2.20 carats) is an E, but not an ideal cut. Since I wear it as a necklace, that doesn''t really matter. Except to me. I think the reason I would like all D color ideal cut diamonds is because I would like to be able to use any stone for any purpose when I decide to tear up one piece of jewelry and make another!

As I have stated before, I don''t wear my jewelry often. It mainly sits in a safe deposit box. I want to keep it perfect, though, to the best of my ability. When I do wear it, I want it to look great to me.

Deborah

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
Mine''s D.  I knew I wanted no bigger than 1ct and had a nice budget so I chose to go colorless.  I was looking for D or E, and final choice came down to a .94 D VS2 with no fluor or a .92 E VS1 with faint fluor so I got the D.

Like cflustist I prefer yellow gold, even if the "rule" is to pair colorless with white metal.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Author: cinnabar

Like cflustist I prefer yellow gold, even if the ''rule'' is to pair colorless with white metal.
My G is set in yellow gold with a platinum head and it looks VERY white. I don''t think that platinum makes a stone look any more beautiful.

Personally, I love both yellow and white metals and cannot wait until the day that both are equally "in style." It''s silly that some switch out their stones to keep up with the times.
7.gif
My husband would think I was insane if I bought a new wedding band because of trends. He''d be happier that I bought some new sandles after posting my summer sandles thread
2.gif
9.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2005 12
6.gif
6.gif
0 PM
Author: AGBF
Then I have very, very small stones (two rb .34 stones and two rb .50 stones). These four small stones are D color and ideal cut.
33.gif
Since when did .50 stones become "very, very small?"

PS really does mess with our minds!!!
6.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2005 2:22:34 PM
Author: MichelleCarmen

6.gif
6.gif
0 PM
Then I have very, very small stones (two rb .34 stones and two rb .50 stones). These four small stones are D color and ideal cut.
33.gif
Since when did .50 stones become ''very, very small?''
Michelle, her post clearly says that she owns a 2.20 round, as well as two other rounds bigger than 1 ct. To someone with those stones as a basis of comparison, I''m sure .50 is very very small to her.

I know the "small stone" folks are sensitive, but everything is relative. What''s small to me may not be small to you, and what''s small to you may not be small to me. The fact that she calls her .50 stone small isn''t a slam on your stone (or anyone else''s); it''s just how she sees *her* stones in relation to one another.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2005 3
6.gif
0:42 PM
Author: aljdewey

Michelle, her post clearly says that she owns a 2.20 round, as well as two other rounds bigger than 1 ct. To someone with those stones as a basis of comparison, I'm sure .50 is very very small to her.

I know the 'small stone' folks are sensitive, but everything is relative. What's small to me may not be small to you, and what's small to you may not be small to me. The fact that she calls her .50 stone small isn't a slam on your stone (or anyone else's); it's just how she sees *her* stones in relation to one another.
Yes, I know. I wan't offended or even thinking that us "very small" stone owners were being attacked. . .I was just noting how much our PS interpretations differ from standard real world viewing.

I still don't think that a 1/2 carat is small though. hmmm. . . I do, however, think two carats is insanely large, so it's all a matter of prosective. For some here even two carats is unacceptably small where to others they would feel uncomfortable wearing something so "bold?" (hopefully this is a politically correct term) and this seems to sort of balance preferences out. . .

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Compared to other objects in their price range, most diamonds are teeny tiny.

I can't think of anything else that takes up so little space and can cost so much. It's fun and frightening at the same time.
37.gif

ed/ Re: color

I'm glad that I don't have much color sensitivity. I've admired diamonds up to M color(lots of these on the Fay Cullen site). For me, context + setting design counts a lot.

For instance, an M rb in a Stuller tiffany-six prong style wouldn't be so great IMO but an M OMC, oval, cushion rb in the right vintage style ring thrills me.

I'm neutral about the colors above G, mother *loves* a white diamond(and only modern settings) but they don't do much for me. I think the lower colors are more romantic and moody.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/25/2005 2:22:34 PM
6.gif
6.gif
0 PM

33.gif
Since when did .50 stones become 'very, very small?'

You are so right!!! My original engagement ring had two 1 point diamonds in it!! A .50 carat diamond is 50 times the size of either of my stones! It *IS* these diamond boards and buying diamonds that has messed with *my* mind!!!

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/25/2005 3:29:36 PM

I do, however, think two carats is insanely large.

We are more alike than you know! The reason I wear that stone on a necklace is that I felt it was far too big on my hand. (Yes, I had to have a ring torn up.)

HOWEVER: times have changed! I think I could now wear a 2 carat diamond ON MY HAND!!!

Deb

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
I voted D (as this is what my EGL cert states) which most likely means that it''s an E!

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have an H SI1. I was considering a G, but I''ve seen them next to each other and cannot tell the difference. I guess I''m not that color sensitive. Instead, I went with a lower color and bigger size
9.gif

Sashabella

Rough_Rock
I have a E, VS1, ideal cut round diamond (1.22 carats).

We actually were looking for an ideal cut F but came across this diamond. It was graded as an F However, I have a very colour sensitive eye and when we were comparing stones, I knew it wasn''t graded properly. We sent it off for AGS certification and it came back as an E.

I don''t plan to upgrade or get another ring. However, if I was to buy more diamonds I would stick in the D-E range with ideal cuts. I''d rather have fewer pieces or save longer to get what I truly like.

psuheather

Shiny_Rock
I have an H, SI2, ideal cut rb. I LOVE my stone!!!!!!!! I really can''t tell much difference between diamonds that are in the colorless and near colorless range. I guess I am just not color sensitive...my fiance is. When we were looking at diamonds, he dragged me around to all different diamond vendors and made me look at all different colors(within colorless and near colorless), next to each other, on white paper, not on white paper, from the bottom, from the top, etc., etc. to try to get me to see a difference. I wasn''t trying to be stubborn, but everytime my response was "nope, don''t see a difference." I was just being honest cause I truly didn''t. After all the looking, I wanted to bump up the ct size a bit and go for an H or I (why not since I can''t see the difference anyway??) I thought for sure that he wouldn''t do this, since he is color sensitive, but he listened to my request
emsmile.gif
and I am so glad!

**just have to add, I think that cut has a lot to do with it too. I was more color sensitive when we looked at lower quality cuts, which is why I decided to go with the ideal cut

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
I have two erings. (But only one husband)

One is a 2ct I/SI2 - it''s set in white gold and I love it!
The other is an 0.84ct H/SI1 - it''s set in yellow gold and I love it too!

I also own an E colour pear pendant. I can see a slight difference between the E and the H and I stones, but I honestly don''t prefer one shade over another. They all look lovely to me. I''ve always gone with what I liked and could afford rather than being too hung up on any particular colour.

I don''t mind warmer looking diamonds either. I''ve seen some lovely examples that go as low as an M, but I definitely don''t like diamonds that have that dirty yellow tinge to them.

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/29/2005 5
6.gif
5:26 AM
Author: Bagpuss
I have two erings. (But only one husband)

LOL!
9.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bump for the newbies.

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
Mines a 1.01 F (RB). We chose a less coloured stone as it''s between ruby side stones (they can bring out the yellow in a diamond) but we went for an eye clean SI2 as we didn''t see much point paying for something we couldn''t see.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
my center stone was graded m by an independent appraiser (GIA degree). I was really shocked to learn that as in most cases it doesn''t appear yellow, I would''ve guessed it was a j or k. It''s brilliance masks most of the color I think as it does reflect quite a bit of light. This was a ring we bought from a private sale (a friend) with no certificate or anything. It''s a vs2 and it does sparkle quite a bit so I don''t mind the warmer color. I notice the color the most in direct sunlight looking at it at an angle. If I did an upgrade, it would probably be f or g and vs2.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results