shape
carat
color
clarity

Design Indecision for Red/Pink Spinel

Add diamond melee in the shank or leave it plain?

• Option 2: Add diamonds in the shank.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Option 4: I hate it.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2009 2:40:16 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Chrono - no, it''s because the diamond was too low on my hand so, even in profile, the diamonds underneath were almost out of view. I like high ''in yer face'' rings I''ve decided and this one, although lovely and blingy from the top, didn''t do it for me from a profile angle.

The other thing that I would just warn you about ........... and as an engineer you''ll know where I''m coming from with this ......... in my ring (and I don''t see it in yours), the halo wasn''t quite the right shape. I wanted long and pointy and I got fat and squat.
38.gif
I actually took the diamond out of this ring and put it with pear sides and the diamond looks huge now! Now, having said that, the black diamond halo ring does make my world rock! It''s high but still looks delicate IYKWIM.

D&T - loving your work! Better than I could manage!!!
2.gif
LD,
You make a good point about not being able to see the diamonds underneath. I''ll double check with WF. As for the halo shape, I thought that would be dependent on the shape of the center stone? Fat pear means a fat and squat halo and a longish pear means a long and pointy halo?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m also curious to know what you''ve decided, Chrono.

I''m kind of more simple when it comes to custom design, so I''d have opted for the plain shank. Especially with that knockout spinel.
30.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2009 11:36:14 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Or you could do your design like this and change your name to Liz.
31.gif
I don''t think this design needs diamonds on the shank. Ha!!

Sorry, not helpful, but I needed to inject some humor!
TL,
I need a new rich BF or husband before I can afford such a ring.
11.gif
BTW, what''s the center stone and size of it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian,
You did an amazing photoshop of LD''s ring. Thank you!
36.gif
No need to use my imagination now.

To all those who provided pictures and photoshop example,
Thank you as well. It''s incredibly helpful to actually SEE the picture and mull over it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/21/2009 10:44:48 AM
Author: LtlFirecracker
I voted for diamonds in the shank, but it also depends on how thin the shank is going to be. If it is going to be a thicker shank, it might be best to leave it alone.
LT,
I requested a band as thin as possible. Plain or with melees, both will be no greater than 2.5 mm, possibly even as thin as 2.3 mm.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2009 11:36:14 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Or you could do your design like this and change your name to Liz.
31.gif
I don''t think this design needs diamonds on the shank. Ha!!

Sorry, not helpful, but I needed to inject some humor!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

My heart stopped when I saw this peachy pear. My goodness!

Chrono, I love Arcadian''s photoshopped version of the setting. That''s my favorite setting for your pear so far.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/22/2009 12:43:13 PM
Chrono - reading between the lines, I think you originally asked the question because you saw something in the CADs that wasn''t quite right for you? Have you come to a decision?
LD,
You are indeed correct. The original inspiration picture has melees in the band about 3/4 of the way down. It took my breath away but I wondered if it was too much so during the design phase, I requested a plain band. Well, when the CAD was completed, the effect was rather subtle. I''m normally into a simple and subtle design, but for some reason, I want something really "WOW" with this ring. This stone is incredibly special to me. Right now, I''ve 2 thoughts:

1. Go with Packrat''s 2 sided halo design. Thanks to Adam for the photoshop work!
36.gif
The effect of the top goes very well with the surprise halo.
2. Go with melees in the band but only partway down. Only enough for a seamless transition to where it gets hidden by the side of the fingers.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/22/2009 4:33:59 PM
Author: Chrono

Date: 11/20/2009 2:40:16 PM
Chrono - no, it''s because the diamond was too low on my hand so, even in profile, the diamonds underneath were almost out of view. I like high ''in yer face'' rings I''ve decided and this one, although lovely and blingy from the top, didn''t do it for me from a profile angle.

The other thing that I would just warn you about ........... and as an engineer you''ll know where I''m coming from with this ......... in my ring (and I don''t see it in yours), the halo wasn''t quite the right shape. I wanted long and pointy and I got fat and squat.
38.gif
I actually took the diamond out of this ring and put it with pear sides and the diamond looks huge now! Now, having said that, the black diamond halo ring does make my world rock! It''s high but still looks delicate IYKWIM.

D&T - loving your work! Better than I could manage!!!
2.gif
LD,
You make a good point about not being able to see the diamonds underneath. I''ll double check with WF. As for the halo shape, I thought that would be dependent on the shape of the center stone? Fat pear means a fat and squat halo and a longish pear means a long and pointy halo?
Yes you''re absolutely correct BUT look at the photos below. The remake is on the left. Can you see how it''s long and pointy? Ok, now look at the one on the right, the pear looks fat and squat doesn''t it? I hated it. The jeweller had followed the shape of the pear BUT towards the point hadn''t actually made it pointy enough and had rounded it off so, to me, it gave a short fat squat look and I really really really disliked it.

As for the diamonds underneath - your ring looks a good height and so you will see the diamonds in the head. My pear sat very low on my hand and so the angles of the head were flatter than I had envisioned. On the photo that Arcadian has photoshopped, the diamonds in the shank only go part way round and the back and sides are plain gold. So it''s only diamond covered in the bits you see. Let me know if you want to see a picture off the hand.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD,
Your pictures show what you are trying to say exceedingly well with regards to the halo. The jeweller could have slimmed down the halo as it approached the top, more in line with the outline of the pear. Yes, I'd appreciate a picture off the hand, if you don't mind.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here you are .......... this is an inexpensive LOGR setting. You can see that the diamonds stop halfway down the shank but on the hand you don''t see the uncovered plain part. When I wear this ring I don''t notice the high basket but it feels great and is high enough that if I wanted to put a skinny diamond band on either side of it I could. Hope this helps you to visualise.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, LD. I think this might be the way to go...or maybe the 2 sided halo...or both.
11.gif
9.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooo both for super mega bling even!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WF is off to do a second CAD. I should have more eye candy in another week. Thank you to all you participated in the poll, especially to those who shared their constructive comments.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results