shape
carat
color
clarity

Design Indecision for Red/Pink Spinel

Add diamond melee in the shank or leave it plain?

• Option 2: Add diamonds in the shank.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Option 4: I hate it.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the CAD from WF and thought about posting it in the original thread but I can''t keep track of who prefers which design unless I start a poll, so here it is.

Option 1:
Halo around the pear, halo at the base, plain shank.

Option 2:
Halo around the pear, halo at the base, melee in the shank.

In #1, the base halo is more of a little surprise.
In #2, the melee in the shank pulls the halo around the stone and the base halo together and maintains that continuous diamond look.

Which do you prefer and why?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Picture of the CAD. As we all know, CADs are bulky. The final thickness of the shank is actually around 2.5 mm, possibly slightly less. Azures or cleaning holes will also be added under all the melees.

ChronoCad1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The back view.

ChronoCad2.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if you have CADs of the version with diamonds in the shank and I may be posting too early!!! However, my option would be to have diamonds in the shank also which, for me, would make the design "seamless" if that makes sense? In the CAD without diamonds in the shank, there is a step change that I''m not sure is smooth in transition - hopefully you know what I mean as I''m having difficulty verbalising today!!!

Love the idea of the surprise halo!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD,
I’m afraid I don’t have the CAD version with diamonds in the shank so everyone will just have to visualize it as best as they can. I know what you mean about having diamonds in the shank to keep the look continuous. As it is, I think it looks a bit “discordant”? But will adding diamonds in the shank make the design appear too gaudy/opulent? The surprise halo was not my idea at all. Credit is to be given to both Harriet and TL. They both shared with me different versions of the surprise halo.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2009 12:47:09 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Not sure if you have CADs of the version with diamonds in the shank and I may be posting too early!!! However, my option would be to have diamonds in the shank also which, for me, would make the design 'seamless' if that makes sense? In the CAD without diamonds in the shank, there is a step change that I'm not sure is smooth in transition - hopefully you know what I mean as I'm having difficulty verbalising today!!!

Love the idea of the surprise halo!
Ditto - great way of putting it LD.

BTW Chrono,
I love how you have as a voting option "I hate it." Like anyone could possibly hate it, especially with that big red glaring stone in there
30.gif

ETA: I spoke too soon, I guess someone does hate it.
33.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no...there’s someone who picked Option 4: I hate it.
39.gif

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I wasn''t going to weigh in verbally, but figured someone had to say it: don''t listen to #4! How can you hate it, its got that glowing amazing spinel! And I love the under halo. How many non-haters does it take to drown out one hater?

I voted for no stones in the shank, but I''m torn, because I think halo-ing just the stone highlights the spinel more, but LD and TL are right, it would flow more with stones in the shank.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2009 1:08:47 PM
Author: Chrono
Oh no...there’s someone who picked Option 4: I hate it.
39.gif
Aww...well none of the options work for *me* so I didn''t cast a vote, but this is your ring! What would you LOVE!?
You don''t have it as an option, but aesthetically my taste likes the diamond halo with the plain shank, but I''d nix the surprise halo if it were mine. I''m all about the stone/halo being center stage and having nothing else to distract from it. and then you could wear it with a blingy band if you wanted to? You couldn''t do that with the surprise halo, right? Since they''d rub together?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually since rings are often seen from the side, I like the touch of the surprise halo. I would hate to see a boring gallery on that ring with that important stone. JMO.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
i think it would like nice with diamonds on the shank. i agree with others, it would flow better. but pick what YOU want!!! :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, I can’t decide. I love both designs for the various reasons stated by others.

Novel,
You are incredibly sweet, and don’t worry, I didn’t take whoever picked the “I hate it” option too deeply to heart. I stuck it up there as a joke with the realization someone might actually click on it. I only wish that the poster who chose that will be brave enough to explain why.

Audball,
It will be impossible for me to wear that ring with any other band. The center stone is 5 carats and takes up practically my entire finger. The measurement of the spinel alone is 8x12 mm and with the halo, the entire “top” will be closer to 12x16 mm? My finger is only size 4.5 too.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it as it is, I think it makes a bold contrast to have a diamond halo and a plain band. But that''s just me, I''m not particularly a fan of lots of small diamonds as I find them a little distracting at times.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/20/2009 1:27:19 PM
Author: Chrono
Honestly, I can’t decide. I love both designs for the various reasons stated by others.

Novel,

You are incredibly sweet, and don’t worry, I didn’t take whoever picked the “I hate it” option too deeply to heart. I stuck it up there as a joke with the realization someone might actually click on it. I only wish that the poster who chose that will be brave enough to explain why.

Audball,

It will be impossible for me to wear that ring with any other band. The center stone is 5 carats and takes up practically my entire finger. The measurement of the spinel alone is 8x12 mm and with the halo, the entire “top” will be closer to 12x16 mm? My finger is only size 4.5 too.

ohh!! i didn''t realize the size of the stone. i change my vote to keep it as is. :):):)

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I voted for a plain shank. I don''t think it looks discordant at all. With this particular ring, I think it will have a "cleaner" look to keep the shank plain. I also think it is more interesting since with halos it seems you see diamond shanks much more often.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2009 1:29:48 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
I like it as it is, I think it makes a bold contrast to have a diamond halo and a plain band. But that''s just me, I''m not particularly a fan of lots of small diamonds as I find them a little distracting at times.
Not me, just call me Liberace!! LOL!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I voted to leave it as it is. It''s a show stopper regardless, but for *me* I think diamonds in the shank would be too much. Maybe you could do eeny meeny miney mo? If you''re happy w/how it ends, then the choosing game was right but if you think aw I kinda wanted it to end on the other one, then pick that one. Because secretly, I''m not really 35, I''m 12.

What about..can they put diamonds on the side of the top halo too, and leave the shank plain? Then the profile is really sparkly! I like the idea of having a big wollop of a surprise in the gallery.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely Spinel ! ! I voted for the melee on the band too. I hope you don''t mind me posting (I don''t often) but wanted to say I wondered about the ''V'' at the point of the Spinel, I guess it''s necessary to protect the point from damage, but I would rather have all the prongs the same/matching thougthout. I also think the post (if you have to have it) supporting the ''V'' could be done with melee as well. Is there a way to avoid the ''V'' ? Are there posts for the other prongs which we can''t see ? I hope you get the gist of what I''m trying to say. It''s your ring and it''ll be gorgeous what ever you decide on.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
I voted plain shank, too, for a few reasons.

- it''s a much more unique look than than the diamond shank/diamond halo look
- it really keeps the spinel as the STAR of the show
- I personally think the surprise halo has more impact because it''s not surrounded by other diamonds in the shank; more emphasis on this design idea.

Plus, the obvious benefits - less stones equal less potential maintenance and less rubbing worries with rings worn on adjacent fingers, etc.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I voted "as is" for several reasons. One being that a plain band with a haloed stone is a classic design that pretty much everybody loves and it really doesen''t go out of style. Another reason is that diamond-set shanks are not always comfortable and may damage (scratch) rings worn on neighbouring fingers. It''s also a matter of possibly having a bit too much diamonds around that stone, and I''m sure you''d like the spinel to be the star of the piece.

I''m not saying that the choice with the diamond shank wouldn''t look nice, just that my preference would probably be towards this option.

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
Diamonds on the shank -- I think it flows better. The plain shank looks very classic (I love Gypsy''s plain shank w/ halo, but her design is also quite different). With diamonds on the second halo, the ring will look more seamless with diamonds also on the shank. It will be beautiful either way, though.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2009 1:42:42 PM
Author: packrat
I voted to leave it as it is. It''s a show stopper regardless, but for *me* I think diamonds in the shank would be too much. Maybe you could do eeny meeny miney mo? If you''re happy w/how it ends, then the choosing game was right but if you think aw I kinda wanted it to end on the other one, then pick that one. Because secretly, I''m not really 35, I''m 12.

What about..can they put diamonds on the side of the top halo too, and leave the shank plain? Then the profile is really sparkly! I like the idea of having a big wollop of a surprise in the gallery.
Packrat,
Are you talking about like a 2 sided pave halo?

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I voted for #2. For no other reason than, its just my personal taste. The more diamonds the merrier.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2009 1:44:51 PM
Author: chamois
Lovely Spinel ! ! I voted for the melee on the band too. I hope you don''t mind me posting (I don''t often) but wanted to say I wondered about the ''V'' at the point of the Spinel, I guess it''s necessary to protect the point from damage, but I would rather have all the prongs the same/matching thougthout. I also think the post (if you have to have it) supporting the ''V'' could be done with melee as well. Is there a way to avoid the ''V'' ? Are there posts for the other prongs which we can''t see ? I hope you get the gist of what I''m trying to say. It''s your ring and it''ll be gorgeous what ever you decide on.
Chamois,
All the prongs will be shortened and filed down after it’s set. In fact, I was very particular about having pointy prongs and it’s clearly stated in the work order. As for the chevron or V prong, yes, it is necessary to protect the point of the spinel. I feel that it’s not worth risking damage to the spinel in order to have all 5 matching prongs. The posts for the other prongs are there but not seen due to the angle of the photography, not to mention 2 are hidden by the swoop of the shank as it joins the halo portion.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love #1 because I *think* purely guessing that you are more simple in design but with a little oomphe (hence the surprise melees), and I really like how the halo does help your stone shine through or accents (not that it needs any help) and you have less to worry about any melees falling out on the shank (less maintenance per se) and it reminds me of Tawn's gorgeous halo with plain shank ring ....attached.

halowfplainshankdoubled1111t.JPG

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Added add diamonds...because noone can have enough diamonds!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you remember my pear diamond with diamond halo/shank and surprise diamonds in the head? Well imagine a bigger version for your Spinel. Can you photoshop? If so, how about putting a pink stone in one of these photos?

One warning (and this is where I went wrong with this ring) make sure that it sits high enough off your hand so that the surprise diamonds show. I''m pretty sure yours will because the Spinel is much larger/deeper. With this ring it drove me bonkers that I couldn''t see the surprise diamonds when it was on my hand and could only do so when it was not being worn. I''ve since removed the diamond and this setting is free but am putting (hopefully) something in it soon.

Diamond%20Pear%202.JPG
Diamond%20Pear%203%20outside_1_2_1.JPG

Diamond%20Pear%2015%20bottom_1_1.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2009 2:14:12 PM
Author: Tropicgal10
Added add diamonds...because noone can have enough diamonds!

LOL!!! You, me and Liberace!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Count me in as a Liberace!!!

Chrono - the diamond in this one is 12 x 8 (then you need to add in the diamond head on top of that) and my fingers at that time were a size 7. Hope that helps with perspective.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD,
Is yours difficult to see because the line of diamonds are angled downwards? It's the same size as my stone! But I can't photoshop for the life of me.
39.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results