shape
carat
color
clarity

Design Indecision for Red/Pink Spinel

Add diamond melee in the shank or leave it plain?

• Option 2: Add diamonds in the shank.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Option 4: I hate it.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ok... I tried to do a paint job,,, terrible but ehhh... hopefully someone else might be able to help visualize?

chronopnt gemring.JPG

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono - no, it's because the diamond was too low on my hand so, even in profile, the diamonds underneath were almost out of view. I like high "in yer face" rings I've decided and this one, although lovely and blingy from the top, didn't do it for me from a profile angle.

The other thing that I would just warn you about ........... and as an engineer you'll know where I'm coming from with this ......... in my ring (and I don't see it in yours), the halo wasn't quite the right shape. I wanted long and pointy and I got fat and squat.
38.gif
I actually took the diamond out of this ring and put it with pear sides and the diamond looks huge now! Now, having said that, the black diamond halo ring does make my world rock! It's high but still looks delicate IYKWIM.

D&T - loving your work! Better than I could manage!!!
2.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I prefer the cleaner look of the plain shank as well. But, I wouldn''t stress too much over this issue. Considering the size of the stone and your ring size, very little of the shank will be visible
3.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I like the plain shank. Keep the spinel front and center, as it should be! With such a large stone, I doubt you''ll be seeing much of the shank on your finger anyway. Nice setting, Chrono.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2009 2:02:50 PM
Author: Chrono
Date: 11/20/2009 1:42:42 PM

Author: packrat

I voted to leave it as it is. It''s a show stopper regardless, but for *me* I think diamonds in the shank would be too much. Maybe you could do eeny meeny miney mo? If you''re happy w/how it ends, then the choosing game was right but if you think aw I kinda wanted it to end on the other one, then pick that one. Because secretly, I''m not really 35, I''m 12.

What about..can they put diamonds on the side of the top halo too, and leave the shank plain? Then the profile is really sparkly! I like the idea of having a big wollop of a surprise in the gallery.

Packrat,

Are you talking about like a 2 sided pave halo?

Yes''m!

adams828

Rough_Rock
I like this idea too - I think it would look great with diamonds on the shank, but at the same time a plain shank puts all the focus on the halo+stone.

ChronoCad2rev1.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono, I chose with a plain shank. I think the stone with a halo needs no more adornment. It will be so gorgeous when done no matter how you do it!

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
I like both with or without diamonds on the shank! It''s a beautiful ring!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Adams, can you do the 2 sided top halo like in the left picture, but add in the surprise bottom halo as well?

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Diamonds in shank. It does seem to flow better. The photos the kind posters put up of pears with halo & diamonds in the shank helped clarify it. Now, from what I know, you are more of a plain shank, sleek setting sort of person but this might be fun to change it up a bit. (?)

adams828

Rough_Rock
Like this?

ChronoCad2rev2.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2009 2:43:40 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain
I prefer the cleaner look of the plain shank as well. But, I wouldn''t stress too much over this issue. Considering the size of the stone and your ring size, very little of the shank will be visible
3.gif
Very true LD
9.gif

I love the basket design, I am not sure about the rounded shank but I have no useful input for you. I can''t wait to see the real live photos!
30.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I voted to leave it with the plain shank. First, I prefer sleaker, more modern designs. But, more importantly, this stone with a halo, will be so large that you won''t see the shank from the top. Most of the shank will lie between your fingers, where it won''t be seen, and diamonds could make it uncomfortable. I also prefer not to pay for something that won''t be seen, and can only weaken the ring. Go for a stronger, heirloom quality design. This gorgeous stone deserves it.
36.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am biased so I voted for option #2!!
9.gif
I think it will tie in to the "REGALNESS" of the stone! I also like the idea of adding diamonds directly under the top halo!!! Too confuse you more..... my pear halo....

rondaspearhalo.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2009 5:17:14 PM
Author: adams828
Like this?

Oooo yes exactly what I pictured in my head earlier! Thanks Adams! What about this C?

ETA dangit, it didn't quote the picture. Well, 2nd one Adams did is the one I'm referring to!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if you wanted to tie the plain shank to the halo, how bout doing a bezel around the gem and then halo with the plain shank like CushionCutNut''s ring
30.gif
?

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2009 5:50:59 PM
Author: cushioncutnut
9.gif
I think it will tie in to the ''REGALNESS'' of the stone! I also like the idea of adding diamonds directly under the top halo!!! Too confuse you more..... my pear halo....
This setting is gorgeous too! You can also do RG for the bezel.
31.gif

I voted for diamonds on the shank. It makes a nice contrast. And extra blingy!

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
hi chrono
if you are going with the double halo, i prefer no diamonds on the shank
it might just be too busy looking and would take away the charm of the center stone
i always believe the melees are suppose to accent and highlight the whole look, not flood the entire ring with shimmering stones.
=)
my 2 cents

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2009 5:50:59 PM
Author: cushioncutnut
9.gif
I think it will tie in to the ''REGALNESS'' of the stone! I also like the idea of adding diamonds directly under the top halo!!! Too confuse you more..... my pear halo....
CCN,
That''s a beautiful ring, and although it has lots of melee all over on the halo and the shank, I don''t think they take away from that diamond, but enhance the overall beauty of the ring.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2009 1:27:19 PM
Author: Chrono
Honestly, I can’t decide. I love both designs for the various reasons stated by others.

Novel,

You are incredibly sweet, and don’t worry, I didn’t take whoever picked the “I hate it” option too deeply to heart. I stuck it up there as a joke with the realization someone might actually click on it. I only wish that the poster who chose that will be brave enough to explain why.

Audball,

It will be impossible for me to wear that ring with any other band. The center stone is 5 carats and takes up practically my entire finger. The measurement of the spinel alone is 8x12 mm and with the halo, the entire “top” will be closer to 12x16 mm? My finger is only size 4.5 too.

Hmm...in that case, go with the diamonds on the shank!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
C, personally I love the look of diamond halos with plain shanks, so that would be my vote for sure. Especially once the platinum has that high polish, it will look awesome the contrast.

I agree though that something isn't quite working (or discordant as you said).
I know you have already explained the chevron prong and I agree it needs to be there - how about adding melee on the gallery as well, with some kind of simple pattern? (a la Mr Mege).

So there would be melee on the "bottom halves" of the prongs, plus maybe some simple stems connecting them also with melee.

I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, but this gives you the idea (just a simpler version, and with a plain shank, kwim?).

I think then that will tie together the top and bottom halos..

...or I like packrats idea too
9.gif

r945 for c.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or you could do your design like this and change your name to Liz.
31.gif
I don't think this design needs diamonds on the shank. Ha!!

Sorry, not helpful, but I needed to inject some humor!

opulent_pear_ring.jpg

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
I go for the option with no diamonds on the shank. It is simple and beautiful and quite structural but the additional diamonds underneath soften the look nicely. I can see in the other pics posted here, where the centre stone is diamond over a diamond shank, it all comes together beautifully, but I much prefer the simplicity of the plain shank in with your Spinel.
BTW, have I told you how envious I am of your spinel
27.gif

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that both looks have their place. Chrono, I''m getting the sense that maybe you want a little more out of this ring. The stone is rather big an can hold its own against any diamond. I don''t think that having diamonds on the shank will take away from the beauty of this stone.

Personally I don''t have a problem with blingy
21.gif
The spinel IMO is a royal color, she''s a queen. Having melee down the shank is a great idea for the size and color and shape.

But if you''d be too self conscience to wear this ring, then go with a plain shank. Its one of the safest ways to go.

BTW LD, did some terrible rephotoshopping of your black diamond ring*lol*

-A

ldsringrephotoshopped.jpg

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
I think a plain shank would be nice - since it seems a little more unusual than a diamond shank....having said that, I think either way it will look fab.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I voted for diamonds in the shank, but it also depends on how thin the shank is going to be. If it is going to be a thicker shank, it might be best to leave it alone.

pierreone

Shiny_Rock
Wow, this is going to be a show-stopper whichever way you go. My vote is leaning toward no diamonds, especially if you won''t even see much of the shank. As Fly Girl stated, I''d also prefer not to pay for something that won''t be seen.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono,

I really love the plain platinum shank with the diamond halo! Beautiful! I have to be honest though, I don't like the surprise halo underneath. I think the gallery/profile would look much nicer with some other design there. Maybe some sort of basket with filigree?

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
I THINK that if I were doing this project for myself, I would have begun by asking for diamonds in the shoulders of the shank (not all around) to help with the transition from the halo and whatever you do with the head. However, the more I''ve thought about the CADs and the more I''ve looked here at the photos of rings with diamonds in the shanks, the more I''ve started thinking the plain shank is a wonderful way to go. Although you loose a more seamless-type transition, I think that you gain more "focus" upon the center stone and it''s halo "frame."

Huh. I really surprised myself on this one.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono - reading between the lines, I think you originally asked the question because you saw something in the CADs that wasn''t quite right for you? Have you come to a decision?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results