shape
carat
color
clarity

Copying, and ... copying

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am freely admitting right now that I have a folder on my PC and in it are pics of Yssie's 5 and 3 stones, HOTs, TGal's, Haven's, and the LM pad 5 stone that I cannot remember who owns it. I love all these rings and may or may not make something similar. :naughty:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
redwood66|1362172503|3394002 said:
I am freely admitting right now that I have a folder on my PC and in it are pics of Yssie's 5 and 3 stones, HOTs, TGal's, Haven's, and the LM pad 5 stone that I cannot remember who owns it. I love all these rings and may or may not make something similar. :naughty:
TGal's is the Leon 5 stone Pad center. I also have it saved. And it's on Pinterest!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

I believe that's mine. Two of MY rings. You really better tread carefully now.

Haven, hang in there. I felt like it was groundhog day for the first six weeks and was never more miserable in my life - and fuzzy and just off my game in general.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TGal
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-ps-gift-finally-my-amelia-ring-pad-by-richard-wise-setting-by-leon-mege.127094/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-ps-gift-finally-my-amelia-ring-pad-by-richard-wise-setting-by-leon-mege.127094/[/URL]

ETA three behind ;))

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
KR|1362172283|3393999 said:
Matata|1362171127|3393973 said:
KR|1362170913|3393965 said:
I love where this thread has gone now!

I think on the whole, this thread has actually done a lot of good.

I might actually come out of lurkerdom and post my pieces here now because of this.

Tread carefully KR. If you can't make pie, you must dwell in the shadows.

AH yes, I must!!! But now that I know ladies like yall exist here, I'm thinking I'll give it a go.

My "pie" is Wintotty's Leon Mege ring with tapered French Cuts that I bought when it was on consignment with GOG. I had Steven Kirsch put a 3.71 ct M Si1 antique cushion from OWD that measures 10.23 x 9.23.

To be honest I've been scared to post it because I was scared the community might think I "desecrated" original design somehow. But I bought the actual ring itself and had a very competent jeweler complete the work I needed done to it and I love it very much. Nevertheless I didn't know what the reaction might be.
Trust me, as long as you don't post your real name & address on here, you will not see a mob of torch bearing rabid PSers in your driveway. Seriously though, it makes me sad that someone, anyone, would feel intimidated by potential reaction to a piece of jewelry. I understand feelings being hurt if someone doesn't share the same taste. You are just as free as the rest of us to express your opinion. If someone throws you smack, smack back. If we're not all big enough to take what we dish out, we should stick to pie.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
KR|1362172283|3393999 said:
Matata|1362171127|3393973 said:
KR|1362170913|3393965 said:
I love where this thread has gone now!

I think on the whole, this thread has actually done a lot of good.

I might actually come out of lurkerdom and post my pieces here now because of this.

Tread carefully KR. If you can't make pie, you must dwell in the shadows.

AH yes, I must!!! But now that I know ladies like yall exist here, I'm thinking I'll give it a go.

My "pie" is Wintotty's Leon Mege ring with tapered French Cuts that I bought when it was on consignment with GOG. I think you just referenced it above to Frekechild as it once held Wintotty's glorious 3 ct D VS2 AVC. I had Steven Kirsch put a 3.71 ct M Si1 antique cushion from OWD that measures 10.23 x 9.23.

To be honest I've been scared to post it because I was scared the community might think I "desecrated" original design somehow. But I bought the actual ring itself and had a very competent jeweler complete the work I needed done to it and I love it very much. Nevertheless I didn't know what the reaction might be.

I'm glad I'm seeing more of a welcoming attitude here now.

Although some of you already know me from over there. And from buying and selling on the bistro. I've been wanting to join the discussion for some time now.
WE NEED TO SEE THIS RING.
Or at least, I do. I don't care if anyone else gets to see it, so long as I get to!

KR

Rough_Rock
Matata, unfortunately you hit the nail on the head...most from over there were intimidated, yes. That's the right word indeed. Especially when words like "mauled", "fun house mirror", "desecration", and "car wreck" have been used to describe their most beloved pieces, and that was only today.

There was a thread before in which PS was called the cool "cheerleader's table" at lunch.

Well anyway, I really like you and TGal and Aljdewey and the ladies who have been down for the cause.

Thank you very much, I hope we see more of each other soon.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1362172714|3394006 said:

Haven, hang in there. I felt like it was groundhog day for the first six weeks and was never more miserable in my life - and fuzzy and just off my game in general.

Well then actually it is only one for you then. Sorry but I could not remember who's it was but knew I had saved one of yours! :twirl:

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Haven|1362171748|3393990 said:
redwood66|1362171456|3393981 said:
My post was inconsiderate and I apologize but kind of goes to the heart of the problem of the internet. I think things are much better on my view of many on PS and respect all opinions as long as it is reciprocal.
No, you were right and I should choose my words more wisely.

I have seen other copies of my ring (IRL) and celebrated them with their new owners even though they, too, looked different in the way I described above. It's small of me to react the way I reacted to this particular copy, but all I can do is admit to it and reflect on why it bothered me. I think it just comes down to the fact that I'm bummed she left me out. Nobody is obligated to let me know they're making a copy, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to feel a little down when I see an entire online community discussing and scrutinizing my ring.

Haven, I do not think it was small or wrong of you to feel as you feel. Like TGal said, feelings just are, and I truly believe everyone's entitled to their feelings.

But, I do see the irony in some (not you specifically or individually) making others feel badly about their rings while at same time professing to feel very protective of their own.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
KR|1362173661|3394019 said:
Matata, unfortunately you hit the nail on the head...most from over there were intimidated, yes. That's the right word indeed. Especially when words like "mauled", "fun house mirror", "desecration", and "car wreck" have been used to describe their most beloved pieces, and that was only today.

There was a thread before in which PS was called the cool "cheerleader's table" at lunch.
Well anyway, I really like you and TGal and Aljdewey and the ladies who have been down for the cause.

Well, that would be the first (and last!) time I've ever been associated with cheerleaders or the cool lunch table, lol!

And for the record, BF has been sent pretty much every picture Haven has posted of her ring in an email titled "THE PERFECT RING. NO, SERIOUSLY."

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
redwood66|1362173665|3394020 said:
TravelingGal|1362172714|3394006 said:

Well then actually it is only one for you then. Sorry but I could not remember who's it was but knew I had saved one of yours! :twirl:

Well now I'm hurt and my ego is crushed. ;))

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
princesss|1362173959|3394025 said:

Well, that would be the first (and last!) time I've ever been associated with cheerleaders or the cool lunch table, lol!

And for the record, BF has been sent pretty much every picture Haven has posted of her ring in an email titled "THE PERFECT RING. NO, SERIOUSLY."

OMG - I think I will gag if I find out I'm at the cool cheerleader's table! I've always prided myself on being the quirky, non-conformist dissenter! God, I'm losing my touch as I age!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1362171834|3393991 said:
By the way, TGal, I've missed you. I feel like you disappeared on us for a while there.

Was it something DF said?

Ha. No, it was because he didn't give me his watch. ::)

Hope all is well for you!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
aljdewey|1362174250|3394030 said:

OMG - I think I will gag if I find out I'm at the cool cheerleader's table! I've always prided myself on being the quirky, non-conformist dissenter! God, I'm losing my touch as I age!

There's only one solution. Bust out the chainsaw and turn that table into firewood.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aljdewey|1362168119|3393900 said:
Speaking for me personally, the whole idea that anyone should have to ask anyone else to be inspired by their jewelry is outlandish. None of us is that big a celebrity (even in our own minds) that any of us should expect deference from random strangers or expect them to adopt what some (but not all) deem acceptable courtesies.

None of us should legislate or dictate behavior of others; all we can do is behave ourselves in a way that is consistent with our own personal beliefs. It's sad to me that some feel a license to belittle others who may not consider it a common courtesy or even a necessity to ask.

I looked last night at the ring that was supposedly inspired by Zahra's, and I have to say that if I hadn't known from this thread that it was inspired by Zahra's ring, I wouldn't have known it otherwise. While it does share some elements (pink diamond halo, marquise stones, metal), there is enough aesthetically different about it that I wouldn't consider it a copy.

I'm floored that anyone would even think about telling someone else what vendors they do and don't approve of to make their inspired-by pieces.....I have very strong words on what I think about that, and they're probably best kept to myself to avoid being frank to an uncharitable point. I guess this just goes to show that what we all consider 'common courtesies' varies greatly. Let me tell you, there are several vendors whose work I think is just meh, but I would personally consider it gravely lacking in courtesy to express that unless someone flat out asked "I'm using this guy - do you think he can do a good job with this type of design?"

It's hysterical to me that people actually expect others to determine which of the posters couldn't care less about copies and which will be offended. If you are in the offended camp, why not take it upon yourself to announce that in your posts instead of expecting people to seek you out? How hard would it be when you post all your photos and tell the story of your jewelry's creation to add "hey, I know not everyone feels this way, but I'd really appreciate the courtesy of being reached out to if you think you may use my piece for inspiration. I know you don't have to, but I'd really appreciate it." A little humility goes a loooooooooooooong way toward getting some of those common courtesies.

In fact, I'm happy to start first. Anyone reading should assume that I will be completely flattered if you like any piece I post well enough to want to use it as inspiration, and I will try my best to remember to affix this sentiment to any other post I make that includes photos. :bigsmile:

Now why did you have to be so darn logical about all this?

:appl:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1362174315|3394032 said:
By the way, TGal, I've missed you. I feel like you disappeared on us for a while there.

Ha. No, it was because he didn't give me his watch. ::)

Hope all is well for you!
:wink2:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG - I think I will gag if I find out I'm at the cool cheerleader's table! I've always prided myself on being the quirky, non-conformist dissenter!
My sentiments exactly. However, just to be sure I'm not included in that group, I could post a picture of my thighs and my boobs that are currently resting comfortably in my lap.

Tgal -- Geez girl, at least you get copied. No one copies my stuff. No one likes my stuff. It is comforting to have bad taste -- never imitated. :bigsmile:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Don't worry, won't happen. I just realized that we're the two losers who have avatars with Christmas hats on them. It's March. :rolleyes: No threat there of being considered anything but "non conformist, Alj!!!"

KR

Rough_Rock
princesss|1362174327|3394033 said:

There's only one solution. Bust out the chainsaw and turn that table into firewood.

LOL! I love you guys and we have just met! You guys have no idea how happy you are making a lot of people to feel more welcome, myself included right now.

FrekeChild I'll definitely post my bling this weekend!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

This is what wound my proverbial clock, and I'm not even the target of those comments. If there were ever unkind words expressed on this forum, those were certainly among top contenders......and there are people behind those pieces, which are beloved to them.

It reminds me of the haves (you know, the ones in high school who were fortunate enough to have the means to wear desired labeled clothing) mocking the have-nots who didn't have similar means. I've never been a fan of that vibe, and I do still react viscerally to it.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1362174625|3394040 said:
Don't worry, won't happen. I just realized that we're the two losers who have avatars with Christmas hats on them. It's March. :rolleyes: No threat there of being considered anything but "non conformist, Alj!!!"

HA - I wish I could call that my rebel, non-conformist streak, but the honest truth is more like "gah, I've been too lazy to change it". Not terribly avant garde, but there you have it.

(This seems to be a theme with me and Christmas crap. I put a fake bough (yes, I know - fake, and I confess it mightly here) on my mantle in Christmas 2011.......and it didn't get taken down until this February. :o All I had to do was take it down and stuff it in a plastic storage container......and i couldn't be bothered. Nope - it was winter/Christmaslike in my house all year last year. Epitome of lazy.

I wonder it that's the real impetus of non-conformism? We're just too lazy to fall into line. :devil: :devil:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm laughing at the way this thread has turned out. There's a certain irony to issuing the mockery and hurtful commentary after telling others off for almost precisely the same - but it was an inevitable turn of thread, and I suppose now we *really* know who the cool kids are!

On a more serious note - I do sincerely apologise for my choice of words. I can't apologise for feeling how I feel, and I can't say I particularly care if others agree with me, but I am sorry for stating it as I did. There are always many ways to express one's views - not at the expense of others' feelings.

ETA: also never a cheerleader...

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Count me in as one who definitely never sat at the cool cheerleaders' table. Not that there's anything wrong with cheerleaders. I've just never been one. Or cool, for that matter. I'm usually at the table whose occupants are hidden behind stacks and stacks of books. Fantasy and sci fi books, at that.

jenncent

Shiny_Rock
Trade
His Paris At Night ring?? That is all sorts of wonderful.

eta: I was apparently pages behind. :???:

Haven, I am nursing my second now and she sleeps soo much better and with my first, I think I slept in 1-2 hour intervals for 6 months. Hang in there. ;-)

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jenncent|1362182535|3394133 said:
His Paris At Night ring?? That is all sorts of wonderful.
That's it! Made my heart stop for a few seconds. Sent me into an envious covetous tailspin.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Freke...go make me some turtle soup.. :lol:

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
In my mind, for everyday PSers, it is very simple. If you don't want it copied, don't post pictures. You can't post oodles of blingy shots and expect them to stay private and original, too.

When it comes to those in the trade, I think the rules may be a bit different. But really, not by much. And there are always going to be beloved vendors out there, who are willing copy anything that the client wants to be copied.

Is it right? Maybe not, but c'est la vie.

Jemsy

Rough_Rock
Trade
ZahraLeyla|1361935162|3391438 said:
My engagement ring was copied, but it doesn't bother me at all because, in my opinion, I have the far superior product. However, I know that my jeweller was particularly frustrated by the incident, because the design is incredibly unique and the execution was incredibly challenging and he put a lot of work into getting those things as perfect as they could be. I think you're right - most vendors would not hesitate to add a Harry Winston-esque halo ring to their setting offering, but they would all be furious if their one-off, custom designs were replicated across the industry (with variable quality).
ZahraLeyla, I just subscribed today to apologize to you and am not sure how to do so to your designer. I never meant any harm. And absolutely your ring is a far superior ring . . . you have a beautiful diamond and the design features are executed flawlessly.
I only meant to use it as inspiration for my ring . . . and yes, at a price that I could afford.
I love my ring . . . it is a shadow of yours . . . but to me a quite lovely shadow and one that reflects my own personality as well as borrowing design features from yours that I so fell in love with.
At any rate . . . I hope you find this and accept my apology.
Thank you.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Jemsy|1362197969|3394296 said:
ZahraLeyla|1361935162|3391438 said:
My engagement ring was copied, but it doesn't bother me at all because, in my opinion, I have the far superior product. However, I know that my jeweller was particularly frustrated by the incident, because the design is incredibly unique and the execution was incredibly challenging and he put a lot of work into getting those things as perfect as they could be. I think you're right - most vendors would not hesitate to add a Harry Winston-esque halo ring to their setting offering, but they would all be furious if their one-off, custom designs were replicated across the industry (with variable quality).
ZahraLeyla, I just subscribed today to apologize to you and am not sure how to do so to your designer. I never meant any harm. And absolutely your ring is a far superior ring . . . you have a beautiful diamond and the design features are executed flawlessly.
I only meant to use it as inspiration for my ring . . . and yes, at a price that I could afford.
I love my ring . . . it is a shadow of yours . . . but to me a quite lovely shadow and one that reflects my own personality as well as borrowing design features from yours that I so fell in love with.
At any rate . . . I hope you find this and accept my apology.
Thank you.

Jemsy, I'm so glad that you logged onto Pricescope. I'm the poster who used the word "desecration," and I want to apologize to you for using such a strong and poorly-considered word in reference to your ring. That must have been very hurtful, and I am sincerely sorry for that. I've been feeling very badly about it, especially when I went back and reread the entire thread, and realized that a word I had kind of thrown out off the top of my head had apparently made much more of an impact than I had ever intended.

In any case, I am so very sorry for any distress I may have caused you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results