shape
carat
color
clarity

Copying, and ... copying

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Matata|1362169178|3393923 said:
Oh I'm so happy I got it right! My favorite strawberry pie is uncooked. I slice up the berries and then cover them with a glaze made from a bit of sugar and mashed berries cooked until it's thick enough to ooze into all the nooks & crannies of the berries nested in the graham cracker crust. Now, if I top that pie with the strawberry whipped cream from your pie, it would be excruciatingly blissful.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey now.......don't be copying my freakin pie! I don't care if you are inspired by my jewelry, but the pie is OFF-LIMITS MISSY!!!!

HEHEHE - kidding. Everyone should have great pie! I'll even send you the secret to my award-winning whipped cream! I want you to have the very best possible pie, Matata - you deserve it. :lickout:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
aljdewey|1362169522|3393932 said:
I will confess, though ....... I did cheat a bit and buy the box of pre-crushed graham crackers. Wielding a rolling pin for that just isn't my idea of time well spent.
You used a knock-off crust with hand-picked berries. How crass.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
cygnet|1362169667|3393936 said:
Hi Pricescope.

I made you a pie.

burntpie.jpg

:!:

OMG - I hope my pie didn't inspire THAT. (Althooooooooooough - if it tastes good, I'm IN! )

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1362169085|3393920 said:
I saw your bloody pie, and while it may have tasted good to you, but it was a hot mess. Your crust edges were lumpy and not at all in the proportion it should have been to the body of the pie.

And your filling? I really don't know who you are fooling, but making a pie with FROZEN strawberries is NOT the same as using fresh.

Sorry.

Ummmmmmmmmmmm - I added a photo above, and you can see it was AMAZING. Don't be a hater just because I didn't send you a slice.

Further, I'll have you know that the stupid original baker merely BUYS the strawberries (which are probably several days old by the time they get to him). I hiked my a$$ to the strawberry patch and personally HAND-PICKED all those strawberries.

I will confess, though ....... I did cheat a bit and buy the box of pre-crushed graham crackers. Wielding a rolling pin for that just isn't my idea of time well spent.

That's not your photo. I saw it on Pinterest. You're pretending to be a better pie maker than you are.

You can't fool me. I can detect REAL, fresh picked strawberries from a MILE away, and those are not real fresh strawberries, in the picture it's OBVIOUS. Glaze sits on real strawberries a bit differently, they are absorbed better into their FRESH REAL skins, providing much better FLAVOR return. Frozen crap strawberries are SO easily identified, usually by the person eating them as they wearing low budget outfits, so it's obvious they can't afford REAL STRAWBERRY PIE.

Imposter.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Matata|1362169723|3393939 said:
You used a knock-off crust with hand-picked berries. How crass.

Did I say it was one of the Honey-Maid pre-made crusts? NO, I didn't! I MELTED THE BUTTER AND FORMED IT MYSELF!

Sheesh........don't be such a purist. There is nothing transformative about crushing graham crackers. Sometimes that happens to them in the box due to crappy packing. It's not a special skill set or something.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Eesh.

I've "copied" and "been inspired by" several poster's rings/items over the years, and I tend to do a lot of custom work (with Daniel M, usually in silver) because I like what I like, and very rarely come across something that's perfect and exactly what I want.

I've been inspired by the french cuts of MissyDebby's Leon ering, the pale pink diamonds and marquise cuts of Zahra's ering, the overall aesthetic of Surfgirl's ring, the curvy filligree of Haven's ering etc. and those pieces are all happily in my jewelry box. I've basically had "copies" made of OUPearGirl's Singlestone-inspired but made by Leon ering and a Varna setting, not to mention the Sholdt setting that's basically become a stock setting for Daniel M, for how many times they've made it.

I'm hoping in the future to make a ring that's inspired by two poster's items here: yssie and Alj. I hope you ladies are ok with that!

I think there is a place for everyone, and certainly everyone's budgets, no matter what the materials are that are used. Jewelry is beautiful and should be enjoyed. Now whether that jewelry is enjoyed by just you, or shared with the masses, so long as it's loved...

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1362169886|3393942 said:
That's not your photo. I saw it on Pinterest. You're pretending to be a better pie maker than you are.

You can't fool me. I can detect REAL, fresh picked strawberries from a MILE away, and those are not real fresh strawberries, in the picture it's OBVIOUS. Glaze sits on real strawberries a bit differently, they are absorbed better into their FRESH REAL skins, providing much better FLAVOR return. Frozen crap strawberries are SO easily identified, usually by the person eating them as they wearing low budget outfits, so it's obvious they can't afford REAL STRAWBERRY PIE.

Imposter.

Yanno, I take it back. Since T-Gal obviously doesn't have the courtesy to respect my very real, HAND-PICKED strawberry pie, I am withdrawing my blessing for her to make it too. I cannot support someone who obviously can't tell the difference between my very real strawberries and frozen ones making a pie I inspired.

I'm sorry you can't have my pie - maybe you can go back to lemon. it's pretty close, except for the tartness. And the yellow color. And the doughy crust. And the FAKE LEMONS.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
aljdewey|1362169923|3393943 said:
Sheesh........don't be such a purist. There is nothing transformative about crushing graham crackers. Sometimes that happens to them in the box due to crappy packing. It's not a special skill set or something.
You are thinking in such a small small way. If you didn't make the graham crackers from scratch and hand crush them, then the pie is an imposter. I cannot believe that you, off all people, would try to pass it off as homemade.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1362170143|3393949 said:
I'm hoping in the future to make a ring that's inspired by two poster's items here: yssie and Alj. I hope you ladies are ok with that!

HAHAHA - granted on my count. With sheer excitement that I can't wait to see what you make. In fact, if I like it, I may even send you the piece of strawberry pie formerly reserved for T-Gal!

Err......which ring it is? I'm dying to know!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, now I kind of want to take back everything I said about PS being filled with kind and helpful people. I suppose the kindness ends when you disagree about something.

For the record, I do not believe people should ask my permission to copy my ring, and I never said that. I think it would be a common courtesy to let me in on the fun if you *are* copying my ring, though of course people disagree with that as well. I understand that, but it doesn't change my mind on the issue. I'm not going to make fun of anyone who disagrees with me, though, so sorry I don't have any pictures with biting commentary to share at this time.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Matata|1362170203|3393951 said:
aljdewey|1362169923|3393943 said:
You are thinking in such a small small way. If you didn't make the graham crackers from scratch and hand crush them, then the pie is an imposter. I cannot believe that you, off all people, would try to pass it off as homemade.

Who said it was homemade? I never billed it as homemade. I said it was "fresh picked strawberries".....that is all.

But I can see you are a hater, so no pie for you! Step to the left!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
aljdewey|1362170177|3393950 said:
TravelingGal|1362169886|3393942 said:

Imposter.

Yanno, I take it back. Since T-Gal obviously doesn't have the courtesy to respect my very real, HAND-PICKED strawberry pie, I am withdrawing my blessing for her to make it too. I cannot support someone who obviously can't tell the difference between my very real strawberries and frozen ones making a pie I inspired.

I'm sorry you can't have my pie - maybe you can go back to lemon. it's pretty close, except for the tartness. And the yellow color. And the doughy crust. And the FAKE LEMONS.

I don't WANT your strawberry pie. I can afford the best pastry chefs in the world. They are ARTISANS in pie making. I just think it's sad that you think your pie is something that it's not: good.

You said yourself, it was inspired by a masterful pie. This must mean it's less than masterful. WHY wouldn't you just find the MASTER and have them make you a pie? I don't understand. You liked the original pie, couldn't you work with the baker and creator, instead of running rogue and doing your own impression of the perfect pie?

Rebel Pie Maker, you!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1362170358|3393955 said:
Well, now I kind of want to take back everything I said about PS being filled with kind and helpful people. I suppose the kindness ends when you disagree about something.

For the record, I do not believe people should ask my permission to copy my ring, and I never said that. I think it would be a common courtesy to let me in on the fun if you *are* copying my ring, though of course people disagree with that as well. I understand that, but it doesn't change my mind on the issue. I'm not going to make fun of anyone who disagrees with me, though, so sorry I don't have any pictures with biting commentary to share at this time.

However your comment about the "copy" of your ring looking like a fun house mirror reflection was not very gracious either. Mean girls are everywhere.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
aljdewey|1362170552|3393959 said:
But I can see you are a hater, so no pie for you! Step to the left!
Yes maam, I'm steppin'. Whose left do I step to? Are we facing each other or facing the same way, cause I wouldn't want to step to the wrong left.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
aljdewey|1362170254|3393952 said:
FrekeChild|1362170143|3393949 said:

HAHAHA - granted on my count. With sheer excitement that I can't wait to see what you make. In fact, if I like it, I may even send you the piece of strawberry pie formerly reserved for T-Gal!

Err......which ring it is? I'm dying to know!
One that you've posted to the social media site. It combines a little bit of color and a little bit of diamond. Your's is much grander than mine will be though! And the strawberry pie should go quite well with it I think...So you'd better send it to me instead of TGal!

KR

Rough_Rock
I love where this thread has gone now!

I think on the whole, this thread has actually done a lot of good.

I might actually come out of lurkerdom and post my pieces here now because of this.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freke....are you a french cut lover? Did you see the french cut on Leon's site? I think it's a 5-stone, 3ish carat center french cut with french cut sides. Awesome.

OneFifty

Shiny_Rock
mrs jam|1362160866|3393767 said:
Goodness, this thread made for an engrossing bathroom read. I lost track of time, and my legs fell asleep.

Just shot my drink through my nose. LOL :lol:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
KR|1362170913|3393965 said:

I might actually come out of lurkerdom and post my pieces here now because of this.
Tread carefully KR. If you can't make pie, you must dwell in the shadows.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
redwood66|1362170732|3393962 said:

However your comment about the "copy" of your ring looking like a fun house mirror reflection was not very gracious either. Mean girls are everywhere.
You misunderstood, and that's my fault for poor word choice. I knew that would come across wrong, but I couldn't figure out a better way to describe it.

I admitted that it was hard for me to see the copy and not have a bad feeling in my stomach because it just doesn't look like *my* ring to me. I know it has the same elements, but it just looks like a totally different ring. I can't explain it better than when you look in a fun house mirror and you see yourself there, but you don't recognize yourself either.

I've also said that I know it's silly of me to care at all. AND I've fully admitted to being human and petty because had the woman who had the copy made let me in on her process in the beginning I would have been totally excited for her.

But feel free to take one thing I wrote, incorrectly interpret it, and draw a conclusion based on that. That is certainly your right.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My post was inconsiderate and I apologize but kind of goes to the heart of the problem of the internet. I think things are much better on my view of many on PS and respect all opinions as long as it is reciprocal.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1362171206|3393976 said:
redwood66|1362170732|3393962 said:

You misunderstood, and that's my fault for poor word choice. I knew that would come across wrong, but I couldn't figure out a better way to describe it.

I admitted that it was hard for me to see the copy and not have a bad feeling in my stomach because it just doesn't look like *my* ring to me. I know it has the same elements, but it just looks like a totally different ring. I can't explain it better than when you look in a fun house mirror and you see yourself there, but you don't recognize yourself either.

I've also said that I know it's silly of me to care at all. AND I've fully admitted to being human and petty because had the woman who had the copy made let me in on her process in the beginning I would have been totally excited for her.

But feel free to take one thing I wrote, incorrectly interpret it, and draw a conclusion based on that. That is certainly your right.

Haven with all due respect, I don't think it was meant to be YOUR ring. It was inspired, but it's HER ring.

I know it's semantics, but I think it's not a bad thing to tweak perception a bit. Looking at a ring inspired by your piece and thinking, "hey, that ring is perfect for YOU" vs "what the heck did you do to "my" ring.

When I look at Yenny's ring, I don't see my ring at ALL. I really don't. I see Yenny's ring. Is it similar? Yes. Are there differences? Yes. I don't expect there to be a mirror at all when I look at something my ring may have inspired. I expect that I'll be looking out a window instead.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
btw, I fully understand that the difference is that Yenny "asked my permission" while yours was a surprise. That does alter perception a lot, when you come face to face with a ring you didn't expect. The entire time, I was awaiting the unveiling of her ring.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Matata|1362171064|3393971 said:
Freke....are you a french cut lover? Did you see the french cut on Leon's site? I think it's a 5-stone, 3ish carat center french cut with french cut sides. Awesome.
Oh I would be if I could afford them. My french cut inspired piece got carres instead!

(Secret time: I thought about recutting my mom's 1.5ct princess into a french cut, but ultimately decided it would lose way too much weight.)

That Leon makes me DROOOOOOOL....

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
redwood66|1362171456|3393981 said:
My post was inconsiderate and I apologize but kind of goes to the heart of the problem of the internet. I think things are much better on my view of many on PS and respect all opinions as long as it is reciprocal.
No, you were right and I should choose my words more wisely.

I have seen other copies of my ring (IRL) and celebrated them with their new owners even though they, too, looked different in the way I described above. It's small of me to react the way I reacted to this particular copy, but all I can do is admit to it and reflect on why it bothered me. I think it just comes down to the fact that I'm bummed she left me out. Nobody is obligated to let me know they're making a copy, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to feel a little down when I see an entire online community discussing and scrutinizing my ring.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
By the way, TGal, I've missed you. I feel like you disappeared on us for a while there.

Was it something DF said?

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
****secretly hoping that Zahra Leyla's ring is so popular that the designer decides to make it a staple in his repertoire so that I can someday afford it**** Even if he did that, don't think I could afford that setting! But if I win the lottery......

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1362171622|3393987 said:
btw, I fully understand that the difference is that Yenny "asked my permission" while yours was a surprise. That does alter perception a lot, when you come face to face with a ring you didn't expect. The entire time, I was awaiting the unveiling of her ring.
I shouldn't have said anything at all because I cannot express myself very well lately. Not surprising, considering my lack of sleep for the last ten weeks.

I know it's not MY ring. I know it's stupid to care at all. I know it makes me look like a very small person. I know my ring isn't an original. I know nobody owes me anything, and I shouldn't expect it. None of this changed the way I reacted when I saw the thread. Maybe my biggest mistake was just being honest here.

And before anyone stages an intervention, don't worry, I am not losing sleep over any of this. But it has been engaging activity during these long days of endless nursing and baby wrangling.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1362172027|3393995 said:
TravelingGal|1362171622|3393987 said:
I shouldn't have said anything at all because I cannot express myself very well lately. Not surprising, considering my lack of sleep for the last ten weeks.

I know it's not MY ring. I know it's stupid to care at all. I know it makes me look like a very small person. I know my ring isn't an original. I know nobody owes me anything, and I shouldn't expect it. None of this changed the way I reacted when I saw the thread. Maybe my biggest mistake was just being honest here.

And before anyone stages an intervention, don't worry, I am not losing sleep over any of this. But it has been engaging activity during these long days of endless nursing and baby wrangling.
((((((Hugs)))))))

Been there, done that. It gets better. And I swear they do sleep through the night eventually!

KR

Rough_Rock
Matata|1362171127|3393973 said:
KR|1362170913|3393965 said:

Tread carefully KR. If you can't make pie, you must dwell in the shadows.

AH yes, I must!!! But now that I know ladies like yall exist here, I'm thinking I'll give it a go.

My "pie" is Wintotty's Leon Mege ring with tapered French Cuts that I bought when it was on consignment with GOG. I think you just referenced it above to Frekechild as it once held Wintotty's glorious 3 ct D VS2 AVC. I had Steven Kirsch put a 3.71 ct M Si1 antique cushion from OWD that measures 10.23 x 9.23.

To be honest I've been scared to post it because I was scared the community might think I "desecrated" original design somehow. But I bought the actual ring itself and had a very competent jeweler complete the work I needed done to it and I love it very much. Nevertheless I didn't know what the reaction might be.

I'm glad I'm seeing more of a welcoming attitude here now.

Although some of you already know me from over there. And from buying and selling on the bistro. I've been wanting to join the discussion for some time now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results